Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Zaphod42 posted:

Uhhhh hold up. Therion's ability on the overworld is pickpocketing, but his ability in combat is stealing. H'aanit's pokemon is her combat; she challenges dudes like Oberic as her overworld ability. Alfyn investigates like Cyrus, but yes in combat he mixes, but it isn't like Therion's pickpocketing.

But we were talking about opening chests. That's not either of the things unique to Therion.
Opening purple chests is his character specific ability, the same as Olberic's being able to boost the defend command. This isn't up for interpretation, you can literally go look at his status screen in the demo. Stealing in combat is a thief ability and anyone with thief as a subclass can do it.

e:

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Opening purple chests is his character specific ability, the same as Olberic's being able to boost the defend command. This isn't up for interpretation, you can literally go look at his status screen in the demo.

e:

So yeah. Characters have path actions and talents that are unique to them that won't be obtainable via subclassing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Opening purple chests is his character specific ability, the same as Olberic's being able to boost the defend command. This isn't up for interpretation, you can literally go look at his status screen in the demo. Stealing in combat is a thief ability and anyone with thief as a subclass can do it.

e:

Uh I wasn't saying it was up for debate just that it wasn't the path action. That's cool about the traits too, missed that.

Mordiceius posted:

So yeah. Characters have path actions and talents that are unique to them that won't be obtainable via subclassing.

Right. And path actions are shared between 2 of the OCTOPATH crew, with one having either a paragon or renegade bent.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Anyone else think the environment is kind of sparse? I'm not saying it needs to be labyrinthine, but so far there seems to be very little to do in towns and everywhere else is basically a corridor. I like the art style, music, and characters, but this has me on the fence about picking this up next Friday, especially for a full 60 bucks.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Hikaki posted:

Anyone else think the environment is kind of sparse? I'm not saying it needs to be labyrinthine, but so far there seems to be very little to do in towns and everywhere else is basically a corridor. I like the art style, music, and characters, but this has me on the fence about picking this up next Friday, especially for a full 60 bucks.

I feel like with regards to towns, the path actions do a lot to give the places life. One of my favourite things about playing the demo was snooping with Cyrus and reading all these stories about the townsfolk. You can infer a lot from things such as what items they’ll sell to Tressa and who would follow Ophilia/Primrose that I feel like it contributes to the world and helps make it feel less barren.

Plus it’s the demo. These are starting areas so having them be simple is probably helpful towards easing the player into the game. We have no idea what the later areas will be like and they may be more complex.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I do agree that I'm kind of disappointed at the maps. I don't mind the towns, but all the outside areas in the demo are exactly the same with a different tileset. Doesn't matter if it's a field, a mountain, a beach, a forest or a cave, they're all structured completely identically.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Your Computer posted:

I do agree that I'm kind of disappointed at the maps. I don't mind the towns, but all the outside areas in the demo are exactly the same with a different tileset. Doesn't matter if it's a field, a mountain, a beach, a forest or a cave, they're all structured completely identically.

Lol no way, really? I didn't notice that myself. That can't be true.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Frankston posted:

Lol no way, really? I didn't notice that myself. That can't be true.
Oh sorry I just realized my post makes it sound way worse than it actually is :v: I don't mean that they're the same map copy-pasted, I just mean the structure of "hallway, 1-3 small offshoots with a chest" is the same throughout.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Also, some people are more receptive to one path action than the other, and everyone in town can be made more receptive to path actions if you inquire/scrutinize certain people.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Your Computer posted:

Oh sorry I just realized my post makes it sound way worse than it actually is :v: I don't mean that they're the same map copy-pasted, I just mean the structure of "hallway, 1-3 small offshoots with a chest" is the same throughout.

Each chapter 1 could be the fist thing you play, so I could see all those starting areas being pretty simple. We should hold judgement for when we see the later areas.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
When I say "I'm out," I don't mean it in the hyperbolic sense of "this game sucks and I'll never play it," though I should've been clearer; it's more like "I am no longer going to have this day one," so I refunded my pre-order and I'll wait to hear details on how the game develops as you progress. If it turns out that your party eventually does have a through-line that connects their stories and they, you know, talk to each other in a context beyond skits from a Tales of ... game, I'll buy back in. The discouraging thing to me about the complete lack of interactivity among your crew is that such a tack also essentially precludes an over-arching plot, and while I'm not going to say that this makes the game suck or try to convince anyone else that it is a bad game, it definitely DQs Octopath for me and my sensibilities

I hope the game is good! And if it doesn't have the stuff I want I might buy it on sale?

I'm also probably being hugely reductive and stupid, here, so I'd love to be corrected if my take is military grade hot, but if you have a game built on spritework and particle effects it stands to reason that you could spend a lot of time and/or money that might not go into standard triple-A visual elements and instead come up with a way to write scenarios that account for who you have in your party when you do story events? Like I get that "they don't force you to recruit anyone, and that makes it impossible to write dialogue for story beats because Character A isn't present to deliver important exposition" is a point to be made, but a) that feels like a really poor explanation and an even worse design decision, especially when you consider that unless you plan on grinding for hours you pretty much must go and collect several other characters before you go to your "main" character's chapter 2, and b) again, given that the game is spritework and particle effects and very old-school in its presentation, wouldn't that mean you could spend more time and money to realize a narrative tool like, say, Chrono Cross? I think someone brought it up earlier, but Chrono Cross still manages to have story events that acknowledge that the party you've chosen is physically present for the event and even does a good job hiding "generic" dialogue behind accents or whatever

Anyway it's a lot of words that sound dumb in the Octopath hype thread, I still hope the game rules, I'm just gonna wait for you all to play it first and decide if it's worth the sixty bones, that's all

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
it's a jrpg

it's going to be bad

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm probably getting it more for the gameplay myself.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Mega64 posted:

I'm probably getting it more for the gameplay myself.

Battle system is fun, path actions seem okay (I'll probably enjoy them more if/when I'm not trying to rush myself through a three-hour demo), so gameplay seems cool, but not "here's $60" cool if that's a valid thing to say

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

That's why you don't pre-order vidjagames! There's literally no reason.

Even if there's some pre-order bonus (and there's not, right?) then you can just "pre-order" the night before it comes out and get the bonus all the same.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm going to play this on release pretty much no matter what so I might as well

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Even if there's some pre-order bonus (and there's not, right?) then you can just "pre-order" the night before it comes out and get the bonus all the same.

Yeah, this. I'm 99% likely going to buy it, but haven't put down money yet on the 1% chance that reviews come out the day before and say "This game really falls apart after the first few hours and devolves into total garbage."

Then again I'm going digital anyway, so it doesn't really matter when I buy it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Chaotic Flame posted:

Now I want Bravely on my Switch. :(

Keep hope. The team tweeted this last Christmas.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

hosed up she's only happy about the JoyCons and shoved the Switch itself back in the stocking.

Also hosed up there's only two Octopathlings on the tree.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

Tttttwwwweeeeeennnnttttyyyyyyy ppppeeerrrrrcceeennntttttt ooooooffffffffffffff

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I am glad I have low standards for storytelling because I'm usually down for whatever a game throws at me, be it complicated it as simple as "It's dangerous to go alone."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

teh_Broseph posted:

Yeah I guess if you buy physical and you buy from amazon and you have prime, then that's a reason to pre-order games, fine.

I wish Amazon would let you buy digital 20% off :(

How good are the retail margins on games that Amazon can take 20% off and make a profit still??

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Each chapter 1 could be the fist thing you play, so I could see all those starting areas being pretty simple. We should hold judgement for when we see the later areas.

Well yeah, I'm not psychic. I can only speak for what I experienced in the demo and I specifically said that in the post.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure the Amazon Prime %20 off lasts for like 2 weeks (maybe even a month) after release. So you don't have to pre-order to get the discount.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Popete posted:

I'm pretty sure the Amazon Prime %20 off lasts for like 2 weeks (maybe even a month) after release. So you don't have to pre-order to get the discount.

It used to, but they changed it a while ago so now it is only for preorders. Jeff Bezos needs his money yo.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Olberic Krew Represent

My blade is unbending

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Zaphod42 posted:

How good are the retail margins on games that Amazon can take 20% off and make a profit still??

amazon's retail business operates in the red; they're losing money on basically every purchase

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I am glad I have low standards for storytelling because I'm usually down for whatever a game throws at me, be it complicated it as simple as "It's dangerous to go alone."

I'm agree with this when the gameplay is something I could imagine carrying for an extremely long time, usually by way of being extremely mechanically fun. This is not me poo poo-talking turn-based systems, but that hasn't been "I could do this for 80+ hours in a story-less vacuum" for me since, like, FF7, and I was 9 when that came out. More power to people who dig that, it's just not me. There's also so much other stuff on the Switch that is both time-consuming and mechanically fun that it would be hard for me to sink my teeth into a game like this if the narrative is sparse to the point of non-interacting party members

teh_Broseph posted:

This is no-joke the main reason why I pre-order anything on Amazon. If I'm fairly confident I'm gonna buy it anyway, and also that I probably wanna play it before it gets sale-priced, I just pre-order and save a little dosh. Usually it's games that are a mortal lock to be something I'd enjoy (Yakuza 6, Super Mario Odyssey, I put a pre-order down on Smash Bros. Ultimate)

Never pre-ordering anything is probably more responsible if you can wait for a little bit for the price to go down anyway, but I wanna play my Mario Tennis Aces when the community is at its largest, yo. Octopath, I can wait for a trip report from y'all and if it's fuckin amazing well shame on me for not getting it for $47, I'll eat the sixty bucks and buy it.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

One thing I was confused about in the demo: when playing as Tressa and it says she found more money, is that something automatically added to your inventory or do you have to find it somewhere on the map?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Hammer Bro. posted:

One thing I was confused about in the demo: when playing as Tressa and it says she found more money, is that something automatically added to your inventory or do you have to find it somewhere on the map?

it's a random proc

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Hammer Bro. posted:

It's automatically added to your money count. I believe it's based on how many enemies you killed before entering another screen (the stronger the enemy, the higher the money).

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Gamespot pople give their impressions of playing the first game. That kinda sucks about the character interactions but I'm still hyped. Hopefully this will be my commuting Switch game for a long time to come.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1I3F7pHSA4

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

guts and bolts posted:

Battle system is fun, path actions seem okay (I'll probably enjoy them more if/when I'm not trying to rush myself through a three-hour demo), so gameplay seems cool, but not "here's $60" cool if that's a valid thing to say

Yeah same. I do think the path actions are fun but the demo just doesn't make it seem worth the asking price. I'm hoping there will be some early reviews that prove me wrong.

Also re: Amazon prime discount, if you're in a state that charges tax, the actual discount is more like 7 bucks rather than 12. At that point I'd rather go with digital.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
which also charges sales tax

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
I don't get charged tax so I guess it's by state now, didn't realize.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

This is pretty consistent with how this particular dev team does things. Bravely Default/Second had a really similar issue, with just super boring environment design.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

teh_Broseph posted:

I bought GCU like two months before they canceled it so I have like a year and a half of 20% off games whenever I buy them no pre-order needed :smuggo:

Looking forward to seeing all the release impressions from you guys before I drop $48 on this game :v:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

If I start the demo with X character, does that lock me in to my "main" character when the full game comes out?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Phenotype posted:

If I start the demo with X character, does that lock me in to my "main" character when the full game comes out?

Yeah. Your starting character can't leave your party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah. Your starting character can't leave your party.

drat I wish I knew this before I fired up the demo, now I'm wondering if I should restart.