Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

First ep of Banana Fish was really good. Good character designs, good aesthetic, good animation, good voice acting, good soundtrack. I hope it eases up on the pace a little although the last half of the episode was better paced than the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pootybutt posted:

I've never read one, so that doesn't mean anything to me. I'm coming in to this show blind.
Think Inio Asano or Natsume Ono, but more shounen-esque.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

There Bias Two posted:

I have no idea what's going on with Planet With but it's extremely my thing.
A mangaka illustrating over a 1,000 storyboards for a new series off-and-on for four years before a virtually simultaneous manga/anime release isn't a particularly common methodology, is it?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I watched a bunch of new anime! It was fun!! Can't wait to see more!!!

Hanebado is looking to be a good drama, and has lots of visually appealing shots. Some good character dynamics are shaping up, as well.
On the more lighthearted side Harukara Recieve has a colorful, tropical setting that really drew me into it, and there's a great focus on partnership and people working together to help each other. A lot of attention to detail, and as an aside, I simply love the way the eyes are highlighted and colored-it's not natural by any means, but it gives the show a unique visual cue and mashes well with the color palate of the series.

Having never read the Manga, I went into Chio-chan blind, aside from the PV. It was...okay. The concept is good, and there were a couple of good gags in here, but the pacing was really awkward-you could tell this was supposed to be paced snappy in the manga, but because it's a full length show and they're not adapting several stories per episode, there are a lot of lingering shots, drawn out asides, and it very much hurt the delivery for many of the jokes. Not to mention, the art and animation quality isn't very standout, so it won't really be doing anything too visually appealing. With that said though, I might still watch another episode or two, since it was still nice as something chill to watch, but it's the weakest show that I'm still following. Also I liked the main character's Voice Actor, no problem there :shrug:

Planet With was a lot of fun. Visually stylish, even if the CG isn't the best, it's serviceable (Think Tiger and Bunny level CG). There was a lot of great visual and wordplay humor going on, which got a few reactions from me. 'offness' of everything thrown at you right away really sets the tone for the kind of humor and story that we'll be dealing with, and based on Satoshi Mizukami's previous works, I have confidence that the story will stick the landing and be entertaining along the way. Definitely a must watch for me.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Asobi Asobase is hilarious. Don't be fooled by the description and visuals, all the girls are jerks.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
asobi asobase has a cool ed

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Hmm, lets see what this Planet With things is that y'all are tal-

quote:

Manga creator Satoshi Mizukami (Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer, Spirit Circle) announced a new original...

quote:

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer

:eyepop:

quote:

...mecha anime and manga project...

oof that cuts deep.

But the show is good and fun anyways!

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 8, 2018

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

The Colonel posted:

asobi asobase has a cool ed

I love it and want the track and I think it's a way better representation of what the show is all about.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

AnacondaHL posted:

Hmm, lets see what this Planet With things is that y'all are tal-

:eyepop"

oof that cuts deep.

But the show is good and fun anyways!

What's the deal with Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer? I'm not familiar with it.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
It was the precursor manga to his much better Spirit Circle.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

LBH is just a really well-liked manga that never got an anime. apparently there were some rumors that Gainax was going to animate it around the time PSG was starting production? i've not heard much about that though

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

There Bias Two posted:

It's really good, like all of his series except for the recent one that got canceled after like 3 chapters.

I'd say it's his best, with Spirit Circle nearly tied for best and Sengoku Youko a ways back.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 8, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
when i was like 16 LBH was my favorite manga ever

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer is also bittersweet nostalgia for me personally, because it was one of the first times I felt compelled enough to make an animated GIF out of static manga images. But it was like 8 years ago, prior to me actually having a workflow for backups and saving project work, so it has been lost to time.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I only read LHB once, but I was in the back of a car, very drunk in the late afternoon and had to pee very badly, so I don't remember much

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Asobi Asobase is great

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

There Bias Two posted:

It's a pretty cool comic, and if you have a couple of hours and a Crunchyroll subscription, the manga is there in all its glory. Read it, enjoy yourself, cry a little, smile like a goof and enjoy rolling with the punches. :)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I liked Hanebado's second ep a lot more than the first, felt like it breathes much better now. The match between Nagisa and the coach was excellently done. Just wish the coach would stop doing the lame Umamusume "oh it looks like I'm perving on you because I'm just IN SUCH AWE OF YOUR ATHLETIC POTENTIAL" gag.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
cells at work is awesome

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
I had my doubts about Cells at Work but David pulled through.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

There Bias Two posted:

It's about outgrowing teenage anger at an unfair world. There's a magical princess, and umpteen knights sworn to defend her, facing an evil mage and his army. But the princess was dying of cancer before she was chosen, and if she wins, she's going to lose her power and go back to her deathbed. She will never be an adult.

So she privately resolves that she, alongside her chosen black knight, are going to save the Earth, and then destroy it with her own two hands. Because it's not fair.

It's a story full of silliness, bombast, ridiculous declarations and sweet psychic kung fu, but all the absurdity is built around a real emotional wound. And the characters do grow up, and change, and figure out their poo poo.

Squidster fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 8, 2018

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
David always pulls through, just like they will with their 2020 production Strike Witches: Road to Berlin, which is one of the three new witches anime they just announced for the franchise's tenth anniversary

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Squidster posted:

It's about outgrowing teenage anger at an unfair world. There's a magical princess, and seven knights sworn to defend her, facing an evil mage and his army. But the princess was dying of cancer before she was chosen, and if she wins, she's going to lose her power and go back to her deathbed. She will never be an adult.

So she privately resolves that she, alongside her chosen black knight, are going to save the Earth, and then destroy it with her own two hands. Because it's not fair.

It's a story full of silliness, bombast, ridiculous declarations and sweet psychic kung fu, but all the absurdity is built around a real emotional wound. And the characters do grow up, and change, and figure out their poo poo.

A) Some bits of that are inaccurate
B) There are some huge spoilers in there, you should edit this post.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D8g5x5oi_c

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Julias posted:

A) Some bits of that are inaccurate
B) There are some huge spoilers in there, you should edit this post.
Fair, she's dying of unnamed mystery Anime-itis rather than a specific disease, but her motivation is laid out in the second chapter. Her intention is built into the premise, and it's difficult to explain why it's not a tropey Kamen Rider knockoff without it.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
No, her motivations for why she's doing the thing isn't revealed until a significant portion in. The fact that you couldn't even remember that there were 12 knights, not 7, speaks to how well you remember the story. It's not cool to ruin the story for other potential readers in the thread because you don't feel like using spoiler brackets dude.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Julias posted:

No, her motivations for why she's doing the thing isn't revealed until a significant portion in. The fact that you couldn't even remember that there were 12 knights, not 7, speaks to how well you remember the story. It's not cool to ruin the story for other potential readers in the thread because you don't feel like using spoiler brackets dude.
Out of an overabundance of caution, I've added some spoiler tags. It's... sort of a lifeless pitch without that twist and motivation, though.

One of the things that makes Mizukami hard to pitch is how much he works with existing tropes -- his work can sound generic until you get to the part where his work becomes a commentary on those tropes. I've tried recommending Planet With to some friends, but most folks will stop listening after you mention 'amnesiac transfer student with mysterious power plus aliens'. You have to include 'but he's there to fight heroes!' before it becomes compelling. Spoilers, I guess.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Squidster posted:

Out of an overabundance of caution, I've added some spoiler tags. It's... sort of a lifeless pitch without that twist and motivation, though.

One of the things that makes Mizukami hard to pitch is how much he works with existing tropes -- his work can sound generic until you get to the part where his work becomes a commentary on those tropes. I've tried recommending Planet With to some friends, but most folks will stop listening after you mention 'amnesiac transfer student with mysterious power plus aliens'. You have to include 'but he's there to fight heroes!' before it becomes compelling. Spoilers, I guess.

You could talk about, like, emotions. You could say that all the characters have their own really clear personalities and stories that come through really strongly

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

You could talk about, like, emotions. You could say that all the characters have their own really clear personalities and stories that come through really strongly
That describes an aspect of quality, yes. The casual reader would need to know if my taste matters before that descriptor carries weight. You'll find plenty of folks who'll gush about the strength of characterization in Strike Witches. If enough commenters all cite the same aspect, then yes, that reinforces a given work is known for that aspect.

But in my experience, it doesn't uniquely identify a story as more worth reading than any of a dozen others. "Great characters!" is a recommendation that works between friends and not between strangers. A strong pitch to a stranger has to include an immediate emotional hook, some unanswered question that drives the non-fan to seek it out.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Squidster posted:

Thanks for doing this. And yeah, the story is strong enough that even knowing the spoilers doesn't take much fun out of the enjoyment of it, but yeah I see your point that sometimes spoilers are what sells a person on a series, and that a good story will remain good even if you know the plot twists. That's why spoiler tags are a good middleground, since they let people who wanna jump in virtually blind do so, but provide clarification for people who want a tougher sell.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

asobi asobase is extremely powerful

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pootybutt posted:

Planet With reminds me a lot of Sekai Seifuku, which I didn't like at all; it's sense of humor and weirdness strike me as really mild and dorky, but it seems to be going somewhere unique and interesting w it, so I have a lil more faith in this production, just not really sucked in yet. A wait and see.
Please read spirit circle and to a lesser extent lucifer and the biscuit hammer. Both are available in their entirety on Crunchyroll manga. You'll have more faith in his writing by the end of both. Biscuit hammer takes a bit to get going but around chapter 17 or so things really take off, I was ready to drop it before then but then it really got going. Spirit circle starts off strong and just gets stronger.

There Bias Two posted:

Please read lucifer and the biscuit hammer and don't drop it just because it starts slow. I had to be convinced to finish it but I am super glad I did.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer is good because the protagonists first thing after being told by a talking iguana that he needs to save the world is to throw it out the window and go back to bed

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you could read biscuit hammer, or not read biscuit hammer

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Endorph posted:

hmmm....i won't then

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if you don't read biscuit hammer.... you'll have not read biiscuit hammer.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Biscuit Hammer is good.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Endorph posted:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Endorph posted:

I refuse to read on principle