Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Synthbuttrange posted:

And they got all the press out because uh. yeah. Could go either way.

Yeah, it sounds like they cleared anyone who wasn't directly involved with the rescue operation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Stay safe Thai boyz.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Sorry, Musk is a moron and all billionaires made money through slave labor and getting lucky

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
According to CNN, a round trip takes almost 11 hours, and they started rescue operations at about 9pm EST, so I guess the soonest we could have an update would be late morning today.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Why would you strike through the musk part? The second half doesn't change with the strike through.

With the rescue underway, we can see that all the terrible loving ideas have given way to "boys gonna have to do it." I guess the water levels were getting too high.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I guess the water levels were getting too high.

Turns out it was the semen levels getting too high inside the cave.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

With the rescue underway, we can see that all the terrible loving ideas have given way to "boys gonna have to do it." I guess the water levels were getting too high.

I think it was more “air getting too bad” and they don’t have a good way to get enough O2 into that cavern. The Thai Seal that died, bled off some his in an effort to help which was why he ran out on the return trip.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Why would you strike through the musk part? The second half doesn't change with the strike through.

Sounds like it's the opposite kinda. They think this is the lowest they'll get because of the storms coming. So it's now or never basically.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Edit: not going to be pedantic

Hot Dog Day #91 fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 8, 2018

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Edit: not going to be pedantic

Too late.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I wish those rescuers and kids all the best but I still have this vision of them having to clear out clumps of drowned corpses with a novelty-sized drain snake in between attempts.

C.M. Kruger posted:

I think somebody in the Airpower/Cold War thread recounted a story about seeing OH-58 pilots firing their sidearms out the window at Taliban fighters in Afghanistan because at the time the scout helicopters didn't have any actual guns mounted.

They did that in Vietnam as well iirc

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jul 8, 2018

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Proteus Jones posted:

I think it was more “air getting too bad” and they don’t have a good way to get enough O2 into that cavern. The Thai Seal that died, bled off some his in an effort to help which was why he ran out on the return trip.

Reportedly they were able to lay an oxygen pipe through the cave system, so that crisis would have been averted. But the monsoons will start next week. They have now pumped out as much water as they can so either they do it now or they wait for months for similar conditions. Waiting would be dangerous, so far one diver has died so you would have to expect many more deaths if the operation had to continue that long, not to mention the unknown risks for the football team of sitting in a flooded cave for months and what would be done if someone needed urgent medical attention.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jul 8, 2018

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

She's dead, the shoes came off.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Apparently there is a thread in GBS about the lost boys. I bet there is a lot of information there. It seems to get lost in the shuffle where everyone is posting about OSHA stuff. I'd hate for people to get confused with whats being posted in the OSHA thread with whats being posted in the lost boys thread in GBS. It is important everyone is kept aware of whats going on. I hope they are all safe and I'm glad we can talk about it in the GBS thread.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So apparently the first boys are out. I guess they heard Elon Musk was on the case and they walked out to get to a phone with an internet connection to thank him for saving them.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

ekuNNN posted:

So apparently the first boys are out. I guess they heard Elon Musk was on the case and they walked out to get to a phone with an internet connection to thank him for saving them.

the dead ones will get a tesla into space

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Zipperelli. posted:

Apparently they said gently caress it, they weren't waiting any longer. There are currently roughly 500 divers standing by at the site, although only 18 are being used. The plan that they decided on was to mask them up, and guide them out.
That's loving terrifying. Hope they get the rest of the boys out

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This is why I don’t want my kid doing soccer.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Subjunctive posted:

This is why I don’t want my kid doing soccer.

Subconcussive injuries are still really, really bad for your brain.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There Bias Two posted:

Subconcussive injuries are still really, really bad for your brain.

Yeah, the kids leagues around here have a no-header rule. I think it’s treated like hand contact.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The last couple of pages reminded me why this thread is in GBS.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Collateral Damage posted:

Try reading the other thread.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Collateral Damage posted:

If you want an example of how bad it is check out my lame avatar someone from this thread actually paid for. Why couldn't a creative or funny goon have gotten wound up? Ah well, they rescued a couple of kids from the cave so it's a good day!

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, the kids leagues around here have a no-header rule. I think it’s treated like hand contact.

Whoa headers are that bad?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Yeah, really bad especially for kids.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

headers are banned (for AYSO at least) until the kids are 13

edit: this just went in to effect in fall 2017

boar guy fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 8, 2018

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

It's actually pretty incredible that it's taken until the last couple decades to realize that getting hit repeatedly on the head is a bad idea, especially for children.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

there's the right way to do a header, where it's unlikely that you'll get hurt, and the wrong way, that rattles your whole skull and teeth. it's hard to teach little kids who are scared to get hit with the ball the right way to do it- they don't even want to use their chest or thigh to bring the ball down because it might hurt. a bigger concern is when players make a wall ten yards from a strong kicker that due to a nearly two year age difference is 16 inches taller and 45 pounds heavier than the other team's players individually, and one of them ends up getting a ball to the face. Parents of goalkeepers have a legitimate concern and as a youth coach i wouldnt mind seeing the kids go to petr cech style helmets at least in goal

the other side of it (if i can go on a football rant for a minute) is that by doing things with our kids like no headers, keepers cant punt, buildout lines, passing the ball in instead of throwing it, etc, is why the usa cant compete on a world stage in soccer :tipshat: rant over

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Getting hit on the head repeatedly is really bad for you, even if it's relatively mild. It appears that it's dangerous enough that it puts the ethics of heavy contact sports into question.

https://concussionfoundation.org/CTE-resources/subconcussive-impacts

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the usa doesn't choose to compete in world cup soccer because we have developed numerous superior sports

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sagebrush posted:

the usa doesn't choose to compete in world cup soccer because we have developed numerous superior sports

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Four boys down, nine to go.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

boar guy posted:

is why the usa cant compete on a world stage in soccer :tipshat: rant over

An excellent trade, IMO.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

drat. My kid is almost 5 and I was thinking about enrolling him in kid soccer as a potential long term sport. I'm sure 5 year olds won't be doing headers, but when will they realistically start them? High school? Later?

Don't want to cte my kid. Just want him to get involved in a rec sport he can play for life.

Guess I'll look into tennis.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

when will they realistically start them? High school? Later?

14, I think.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

boar guy posted:

there's the right way to do a header, where it's unlikely that you'll get hurt, and the wrong way, that rattles your whole skull and teeth. it's hard to teach little kids who are scared to get hit with the ball the right way to do it- they don't even want to use their chest or thigh to bring the ball down because it might hurt. a bigger concern is when players make a wall ten yards from a strong kicker that due to a nearly two year age difference is 16 inches taller and 45 pounds heavier than the other team's players individually, and one of them ends up getting a ball to the face. Parents of goalkeepers have a legitimate concern and as a youth coach i wouldnt mind seeing the kids go to petr cech style helmets at least in goal

the other side of it (if i can go on a football rant for a minute) is that by doing things with our kids like no headers, keepers cant punt, buildout lines, passing the ball in instead of throwing it, etc, is why the usa cant compete on a world stage in soccer :tipshat: rant over

Why no punting or throw ins?

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

tbu

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

boar guy posted:

etc, is why the usa cant compete on a world stage in soccer :tipshat: rant over

yeah but who gives a poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

drat. My kid is almost 5 and I was thinking about enrolling him in kid soccer as a potential long term sport. I'm sure 5 year olds won't be doing headers, but when will they realistically start them? High school? Later?

Don't want to cte my kid. Just want him to get involved in a rec sport he can play for life.

Guess I'll look into tennis.

Make your kid a pro eSports players instead.