Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I am crippled by FOMO. I can only hope to receive whatever pitiful fractions of a satoshi the true bitlords will spare me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Reminder that he was killed by a sauna, loving lol

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Double Bill posted:

Reminder that he was killed by a sauna, loving lol

he was killed by a heart condition you stupid gently caress, somethign you wont have to worry about because you're a heartless nocoiner? ps: what have you ever accomplished with your body?

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
The meta humor in ghostty's latest contribution is pretty brilliant.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

ghosTTy posted:

ps: what have you ever accomplished with your body?

Keeping it alive lol

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Can't believe I missed a chance to make a joke about Zyzz dying in a sauna.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Double Bill posted:

Keeping it alive lol

u ever launch a game and get an achievement for changing some options on the home screen or killing the first baddie u see? that's all youv'e accomplished. your gamerscore is 0, Zero

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

GutBomb posted:

GPU prices are pretty much back to normal now. Go hog wild.

Better to hodl on for a little longer, nVidia's next generation cards are due soon.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

actually it woudl be 1 :facepalm: because you got that one achioevement for basically doing nothing, but you get what i mean

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
That you literally speak gibberish yeah think everyone got that many many years ago

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

thread is spicy today

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Bad news for you Bogdanoff haters:

quote:

"They are constantly protecting each other," confirms Véronique Bogdanoff . At 50, the youngest daughter explains that she has strangely become an "old little sister" for her brothers. "The twins obviously have a very complicated relationship with the idea of ​​getting older, with death ," she says softly, "and they plan to live to be 120 years old."

https://www.francetvinfo.fr/science...ff_2824447.html

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

UCS Hellmaker posted:

That you literally speak gibberish yeah think everyone got that many many years ago

Ok UCS Hellmaker, that's a good gamertag. i always have respect for a fellow gamer even if they don't respect me. See you on the battlefield :salute:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
sacrebleu!

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Lambert posted:

Better to hodl on for a little longer, nVidia's next generation cards are due soon.
Also, they ramped up production a bit and have a surplus for the crypto demand that no longer exists. So expect good deals if not fire sale prices soon.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

QuarkJets posted:

Some infinitesimal fraction, because miners need to sell shitloads of bitcoins in order to cover their costs. It's probably safe to assume that the alt-right bitcoin holders are also bitcoin true believers and they're never, ever selling. Don't forget the poll of true believers from a few months ago where most of them confirmed that they would never sell any bitcoin until it was at least $200k/btc

Look at the entire graphic. The definition of “investment” bitcoin in it is wallets active < 1 year ago; miners selling to cover their cost is a tiny part of it. Old miners cashing out was a much larger part but also nowhere near all of it.The poll you’re referring to was of the general public who, of course, had no idea it was a bubble to begin with. But even many true believers with tons of cold storage coins absolutely did exit on the parabolic graph or shortly into the mega dip. And in 2013-2016 the alt right was a huge net buyer of bitcoin second only to darknet druggies.

30 billion dollars in 3 months after virtually nothing for the previous year (or ever) is not just Bitmain.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

ghosTTy posted:

ps: what have you ever accomplished with your body?

hahahahaha

this owns what a burn

Gorak
Dec 25, 2004

"Oh my God, they revived Gorak! You bastards!"

ghosTTy posted:

sry to interrupt your nocoiner talk (in the bitcoin thread? not bannable?? :raise:) but there's going to be another crypto bull run and you idiots will miss out again LOL :roflolmao:

Why and when will there be another bull run?
Also why can't bitcoin go under 6000$ US?

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I had to buy some bitcoins to buy weed seeds. I'm in Michigan (legal here) and they are regulating our dispensaries currently. They have shut down 80+ shops because they passed a law that says they need a license, but the state only has staffing to approve about 3 of those a week... So to the internet I went.

Lame story shorter, I have $5 left over after my purchase in bitcoins.

How rich will I be and should I start drinking mimosas in the morning?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Whatever you do, hodl on to those butts.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

I'm sure they're very happy about the crypto market, but the alt-right would have crypto whether they particularly wanted it or not because they're grifters who rely on non-traditional donations and anonymized crowdfunding, not investors deciding where to put their capital. How would you have even attempted to donate real currency to weev, Spencer, or Kessler?

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

ChristsDickWorship posted:

I'm sure they're very happy about the crypto market, but the alt-right would have crypto whether they particularly wanted it or not because they're grifters who rely on non-traditional donations and anonymized crowdfunding, not investors deciding where to put their capital. How would you have even attempted to donate real currency to weev, Spencer, or Kessler?

Yeah this is the same reason a bunch of internet drug lords are also rich. The who's who of big bitcoin hodlers from 2013-2016 reads like a laundry list of people whom it would be nice to shoot out of a cannon. Here's Steve Bannon talking about how awesome bitcoin is in an article that also mentions Chris Cantwell loving Monero now.

Goons: there's no way the alt right has made any money, this is all anecdotal
Also goons: bitcoin is all about money laundering

The irony is it really *was* all about drugs and money laundering. Then, once the tech caught up, it turned out putting everything on a ledger that's traceable forever was a terrible idea. So the people who used it for that for years have partly cashed out at or close to the top of a mega-bubble (remember even $6K is 10x from two years ago) and partly switched to Monero, while Bitcoin itself is now mainstream-ish enough that basically everything goons think they know is years out of date.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

But that is in pretty stark contrast to your post a little ways back where you claimed goons didn't have enough business sense to own crypto like the alt-right. It had nothing to do with the alt-right's sense, it was the nonsense of the rest of the market made money laundering wildly profitable.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lol goons too dumb to facilitate money laundering, shows what you all know about BUSINESS

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Adar posted:

honestly the fact that 2010 meme internet split into buttcoiners and bitcoiners and goons wound up on the funny side while the alt-right chanlords accidentally wound up with a collective billion dollars more than us is kinda infuriating but also pretty much a microcosm of the collective business sense of somethingawful dot com

I never claimed they had any idea what they were doing during and after the Goxxening. No one did. Where most goons went wrong, imo, is not realizing things had changed in early 2017.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Ahhh, Sunday morning GhosTTy posts. Great waking up, on-the-pot content.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

My position is that crypto is a losing proposition in the aggregate in the same way that poker with a 20% uncapped rake is. The fact that some people beat that through being early, lucky, or smart seems really important to you because it's important for you to convey to us that you're one of the smart ones. You ignore the aggregate that people in this ecosystem are losing huge money on tx fees, exchange fees, mining rigs, electricity. Investors are down big on net real money, and now that the world has gone back to ignoring this corner of the internet there's never going to be enough liquidity for most holders to cash out.

When you criticize us for not having intimate knowledge of this fringe hobby of yours it rings pretty hollow. What use is that knowledge? Why should we invest our time? You've admitted that crypto doesn't have a mainstream application. Most of us aren't interested in gambling in unregulated offshore exchanges or buying drugs online. What's in it for us? Can't we just laugh at idiots who take it too seriously without you "well actually"ing?

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Andy Dufresne posted:

My position is that crypto is a losing proposition in the aggregate in the same way that poker with a 20% uncapped rake is. The fact that some people beat that through being early, lucky, or smart seems really important to you because it's important for you to convey to us that you're one of the smart ones. You ignore the aggregate that people in this ecosystem are losing huge money on tx fees, exchange fees, mining rigs, electricity. Investors are down big on net real money, and now that the world has gone back to ignoring this corner of the internet there's never going to be enough liquidity for most holders to cash out.

When you criticize us for not having intimate knowledge of this fringe hobby of yours it rings pretty hollow. What use is that knowledge? Why should we invest our time? You've admitted that crypto doesn't have a mainstream application. Most of us aren't interested in gambling in unregulated offshore exchanges or buying drugs online. What's in it for us? Can't we just laugh at idiots who take it too seriously without you "well actually"ing?

For starters I don't think it's entirely a losing proposition anymore. Bitcoin itself has definitely failed and the rest of the ecosystem is mostly a garbage fire, but ethereum is...let's say interesting and a few of the more practical use cases for crypto are clearly attractive, to the point where the freaking G20 is holding all day meetings about how to regulate it. This is an area where goons are stuck thinking it's still 2015 when it's not. "This will get banned worldwide this year" is so dumb and out of date that it's the worst kind of white noise.

idk what's actually in it for anyone, though, other than "don't make bad posts on lovely dying comedy website".

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Adar posted:

a few of the more practical use cases for crypto are clearly attractive, to the point where the freaking G20 is holding all day meetings about how to regulate it.
"This is actually good for Bitcoin"

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Spatial posted:

"This is actually good for Bitcoin"

I lolled

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

In the last 24 hours:

https://www.blockchain.com/en/stats

Total Miners Revenue (USD) $13,037,111.98
Cost per Transaction (USD) $85.48

The miners are taking out that $13 million, paying their expenses, and taking profit.

The Bitcoin infrastructure cost $13 million to run over the last 24 hours.

That's money bleeding out of Bitcoin.

:lol: @ $85 per transaction.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Adar posted:

For starters I don't think it's entirely a losing proposition anymore. Bitcoin itself has definitely failed and the rest of the ecosystem is mostly a garbage fire, but ethereum is...let's say interesting and a few of the more practical use cases for crypto are clearly attractive, to the point where the freaking G20 is holding all day meetings about how to regulate it. This is an area where goons are stuck thinking it's still 2015 when it's not. "This will get banned worldwide this year" is so dumb and out of date that it's the worst kind of white noise.

idk what's actually in it for anyone, though, other than "don't make bad posts on lovely dying comedy website".
name one single practical use case for a cryptocurrency that isn't illegal that exists right now and isn't futurist ideas-guy masturbation

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

Adar posted:

You're building up a straw man if you're taking a single goon's worldwide crypto ban opinion and ascribing it to all of us. I'm sure you'd be equally pleased for us to lump you in with Zaurg and AARO.

The G20 is talking about bitcoin because they are concerned about its use in money laundering to fund terrorism. How does that have anything to do with practical use cases?

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

comedyblissoption posted:

name one single practical use case for a cryptocurrency that isn't illegal that exists right now and isn't futurist ideas-guy masturbation

Hit the question mark, I've named a couple in here repeatedly

Andy Dufresne posted:

You're building up a straw man if you're taking a single goon's worldwide crypto ban opinion and ascribing it to all of us. I'm sure you'd be equally pleased for us to lump you in with Zaurg and AARO.

The G20 is talking about bitcoin because they are concerned about its use in money laundering to fund terrorism. How does that have anything to do with practical use cases? These same committees are concerned with the TOR browser as well, is that an indication that it's experiencing wider mainstream adoption?

Didn't intend to do this but I see I phrased it ambiguously, my bad. I wanted to call out bad posting but I'm not responding to you, QuarkJets etc. the same way.

Here's the pre-meeting PDF on what the G20 thinks should happen. Does this sound like they put it on the same level as Tor?

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Adar posted:

Hit the question mark, I've named a couple in here repeatedly

Right, I just posted what I used mine for. The weed seed selection in Michigan (legal here for medicinal... rec is on the ballot for nov but I digress) is woeful low as they sort out their state staffing issue and I wanted to buy seeds because in the past I've always germinated them instead of cloning for new strains. They do not have the strain I wanted here in MI.

Anywho.. ordered seeds with bitcoin and everything is right in the world. The part part is that you don't even need to masturbate thinking of the future to get them like you did in the early days of bitcoin!

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I mean I'm pro legalization and all but your legal use case is a federal crime?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Vendors were taking bitcoin as payment for a while until the transaction fees meant that people were paying $85 for a $30 item. That isn't some inherent thing that needs to be done for all crypto.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Also probably the state laws since he bought from an unlicensed source.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

CheesyDog posted:

I mean I'm pro legalization and all but your legal use case is a federal crime?

The other popular use case I'm aware of is transferring money to offshore gambling sites, since it is illegal for American banks to process transactions originating from or directed toward online gambling operators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ghosTTy posted:

he was killed by a heart condition you stupid gently caress, somethign you wont have to worry about because you're a heartless nocoiner? ps: what have you ever accomplished with your body?
Ask your mom