Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
It's not that it's unrealistic, it's that it's inconsistent. Inconsistency should be minimized

Example: once per session item. Does great thing. Wow it got the boss to half health! Nothing else is working
Weird what's that a player has to leave and session end a bit early tonight? Huh, weird...

Let alone having to jump through a bunch of hoops to roleplay around said inconsistencies . It's just bad habit

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
If you have a player who is trying to game the game by dragging it out for weeks at a time then you've got a completely different problem.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Novum posted:

If you have a player who is trying to game the game by dragging it out for weeks at a time then you've got a completely different problem.

Pretty much.

Basically the call is "you decide based on your group." Once a week is good for a pretty decent item, that way it's an "oh poo poo" item but not a every battle item.

Once per day is usually fine if the item is doing poo poo like "+1d6 DMG from these specific circumstances".

I'd say once per week if it's like 5d8 or something.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Novum posted:

It's very similar to wanting to stop adventuring and refresh spells the next day, but in game .

It's way better to be consistent within the made up world so that the made up characters can have more consistentcy in how they operate

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
It's based on moon phases and leylines, you wouldn't understand the full explanation anyway. It only seems arbitrary because you haven't taken MGC 271: Replenishment Rate Accounting.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Babylon Astronaut posted:

It's based on moon phases and leylines, you wouldn't understand the full explanation anyway. It only seems arbitrary because you haven't taken MGC 271: Replenishment Rate Accounting.

"I research moon phase and ley lines". Now what

Obviously some stuff is going to be unavoidable for the sake of time (leveling at end of seessions jumps to mind) but items working per session is just a weird slippery slope to even contemplate going down

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Congrats on being the only expert on leylines not to understand such as simple concept as encounter spells? It's how magic has worked forever, and your heterodox school is only holding you back. Congrats on only using your magic once a month for 1000 gp a shot, instead of learning what a session is, in magical terms?

I'll give you a clue, since magic is clearly a personal failing of yours. A session is a period of adventuring defined by a continuous state of heightened awareness, not a temporal amount of time. It should be trivial to understand why it is important. Again, clinging to non-magical materialism is making you a, frankly, inadequate wizard.

* If you don't accept the premise, you don't get to be involved. "I don't think the game should be ran by the rules of the game" is not an argument, and no one who is actually trying to enjoy and play the game will benefit from adding arbitrary rules because your imagination is broken.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 7, 2018

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

If you want it to be every session but really, really don't want to SAY it's every session, just make it a sentient artifact that they players have to talk to a certain amount every time they use it.

The artifact will just happen to not feel like artifact-ing more than once a session. Make it a hypochondriac.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Example: once per session item. Does great thing. Wow it got the boss to half health! Nothing else is working
Weird what's that a player has to leave and session end a bit early tonight? Huh, weird...

mastershakeman posted:

It's very similar to wanting to stop adventuring and refresh spells the next day, but in game .

mastershakeman posted:

items working per session is just a weird slippery slope to even contemplate going down

"Only being able to imagine magic working in one specific way is not a red flag, it's bad because if you don't do it exactly the only way I can imagine it, I would immediately start acting like an rear end in a top hat".

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 8, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You know that lots of games have per-session mechanics, right? AFAIK they don’t generally suffer from players strategically retreating from gaming sessions. If they’re willing to be that disruptive in search of a mechanical advantage, buh-bye and good riddance.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if you want to make it once per session, make it so, and say so

no amount of "in game narrative explanation" is going to discourage people from wanting to circumvent a mechanic if they want to try and you won't tell them no absolutely

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
If the players say 'let's take an unexpected break here and pick this up from this instant in a week' then next week you're just resuming the same game session.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

mastershakeman posted:

Wow it got the boss to half health! Nothing else is working

mastershakeman posted:

mastershakeman posted:

"I research moon phase and ley lines". Now what

I know this has already been triple quoted, but I'd like to join the "You cannot design a game that can prevent someone from being a total rear end in a top hat."

My DMs have a very firm rule: "Don't worry about it!" If the DM tells you not to worry about it (and it's usually followed by the players also cheerfully adding "Don't worry about it!"), then stop worrying about it because we're all here to have a good time. I've never seen this fail, though I imagine if someone insisted on keeping on it they'd just find themselves outside the game.

Edit: I realized that someone did try to ignore that rule for a bit, and he was out after the next session.

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 8, 2018

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Am I the only one who feels like the small races bench is kinda overcrowded? Honestly I feel like you could cut it down to just Dwarves and it'd be fine. This is a thought that come to me after realizing my players absolutely never play halflings or gnomes.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Azran posted:

Am I the only one who feels like the small races bench is kinda overcrowded? Honestly I feel like you could cut it down to just Dwarves and it'd be fine. This is a thought that come to me after realizing my players absolutely never play halflings or gnomes.

I think the biggest problem with small races is that they're assumed to be poor at melee combat; there's some truth to that, in their inability to wield two-handed weapons and the relative weakness of dual wielding as an alternative. But halfling heavy hitters are actually a lot of fun, and I'm of the opinion that your players are loving lame. Mine are as well, if I'm being honest.

gently caress gnomes, though.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Halflings have two limitations, no Darkvision, and no Heavy weapons. Other than that they are actually rather strong.

So on a separate note I have been working on my Brute Class some more, taking into account feedback from Duke Ambi, and I have hopefully gotten it pretty close to finished. Of course I can still always use more feedback and suggestions. Also it would help to know if people think it would be fun enough to play.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Azran posted:

Dwarves aren’t small.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Kaysette posted:

Dwarves aren’t small.

Not mechanically, no. I tend to categorize them as part of the small races, and most of my players do the same, that's what prompted the original question.

Azran fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 8, 2018

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
WTF is this??? Smallfolk own and Gnomes and Halflings would be my fist choice for Wizards and Rogues, respectively.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
In five years playing I've never ran into a gnome, and every halfling could just as well been a human with dwarfism for how much them being a different species ever factored into things.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Ryuujin posted:

So on a separate note I have been working on my Brute Class some more, taking into account feedback from Duke Ambi, and I have hopefully gotten it pretty close to finished. Of course I can still always use more feedback and suggestions. Also it would help to know if people think it would be fun enough to play.

Do the _____ Of The Elements ability need a bonus action every round, or is the bonus action just to switch?

Edit: are there ways to mitigate or remove attacks of opportunity?

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 8, 2018

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Bonus Action on that is just to switch which element you are Imbued with. Maybe I should try and tie the Cantrips in to the element you are Imbued with?

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
If your players use the "once per session" item and immediately pick up their books as soon as you're done saying what happens

just lock the basement and put up a NO ESCAPE sign, y'know

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Tendales posted:

If the players say 'let's take an unexpected break here and pick this up from this instant in a week' then next week you're just resuming the same game session.

13th age handles this perfectly.
If players are cowards or need to take an extra regroup, the big bad gets a tactical win and accomplishes one of his subgoals or gains some other advantage.
If it is the final epic showdown they back down from? The Big bad wins the campaign.
the party weren't there to stop him.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
13th Age also states that True Magic Items all have some form of consciousness/ego that prevents a lot of typical player behavior.

Oh you all started swapping gear around because it was optimal? Well now your sword has stopped talking to you and is a regular rear end +0 d8 blade again.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Ever have a moment of inspiration that gets in the way of everything else.

I started reimagining Kara-tur for 5e within certain stipulations and well, the typing went on and on so posting here for your enjoyment and feedback. :)

http://breadthofpopsanity.blogspot.com/2018/03/kara-tur-some-thoughts-part-1-overview.html

http://breadthofpopsanity.blogspot.com/2018/03/kara-tur-some-thoughts-part-2-race-ideas.html

http://breadthofpopsanity.blogspot.com/2018/06/kara-tur-some-thoughts-part-3-classes.html

http://breadthofpopsanity.blogspot.com/2018/07/kara-tur-some-thoughts-part-4-level.html

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Conspiratiorist posted:

In five years playing I've never ran into a gnome, and every halfling could just as well been a human with dwarfism for how much them being a different species ever factored into things.

Halflings and gnomes are pure and good

I especially like them as courageous, dashing hero types. In various one-shots I've played a halfling paladin and a gnome battlemaster. I have a goblin soldier in Starfinder too.

I think ever since I saw Mazzy Fenten in Baldur's Gate 2, characters who are little but brave, strong, and tenacious have been really cool to me

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Cephas posted:

I think ever since I saw Mazzy Fenten in Baldur's Gate 2, characters who are little but brave, strong, and tenacious have been really cool to me

Same, but Willow.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Gnomes are not allowed in my games unless they are extremely small and have pointy red hats

'rear end in a top hat illusionist halfling' is not a good racial identity

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

shades of eternity posted:

I started reimagining Kara-tur for 5e within certain stipulations and well, the typing went on and on so posting here for your enjoyment and feedback.

Gawdayam that’s good stuff. If I wasn’t flying off to a creative writing vacation to pen out my Gaelic Celt meets the declining Roman Empire analogue Birthright campaign that I’m starting in a couple weeks, I’d be all the gently caress over this.

Even just ripping off, whole cloth, the original L5R war of the thunders concept in that framework would be an amazing campaign that can be played from virtually any angle.

It’s going to be difficult to not stray into that territory as I’m writing this week. That poo poo definitely resonated in a good way with me.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
4e gnomes had an actual identity. It was neat.

e: there was supposed to be more here hit post by mistake

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 8, 2018

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Man y'all got some lovely opinions about gnomes.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Conspiratiorist posted:

The thing with halflings is that their only real personality trait is that they're supposedly to be the opposite of monster races, aka 'always good'. But 90% of people who actually play them, play them as greedy sneaky rogue types, because that's what halflings are good at, despite everything about halflings constantly being like 'Halflings believe in community good! They always help their friends! They will die for their family! They are always kindly and trust easily!'. They're supposed to be The Good Folk, giving up everything for what their communities and families need.

Instead they 99% of the time act like greedy backstabbing humans who are tiny.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

KittyEmpress posted:

The thing with halflings is that their only real personality trait is that they're supposedly to be the opposite of monster races, aka 'always good'. But 90% of people who actually play them, play them as greedy sneaky rogue types, because that's what halflings are good at, despite everything about halflings constantly being like 'Halflings believe in community good! They always help their friends! They will die for their family! They are always kindly and trust easily!'. They're supposed to be The Good Folk, giving up everything for what their communities and families need.

Instead they 99% of the time act like greedy backstabbing humans who are tiny.

Yes, Order of the Stick and various podcasts have certainly had a cultural effect on how people think they should play halflings.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I think its more part people wanting to subvert expectations and part All Good All Loving being boring unless handled very well.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Ryuujin posted:

Man, I really like the flavour of this class. There's some very unique features there I really enjoy in a more beaty styled brawler unlike the Monk. It almost takes the best of the Barbarian with the flavours of the Monk but still being Its Own Thing. Particularly your choices regarding the use of d4's and the Strength of the Mountain archetype in particular. I think that, outside of some niggles and editing choices, you could really have a great class on your hands there.

In no particular order:
  • Might of the Brute is overpowered, full stop. It's great for flavour, increasing your maximum stats for Strength and Constitution at level 8, 16 and 20 all by two to a maximum of 26, but on top of that you also give two free stat boosts at each of those levels. Especially when you consider you, as a Brute, derive your attack and damage bonus from Strength, extra hit points from Constitution, and defense from both. Not even the Barbarian comes close to getting anything like Might of the Brute - Primal Champion only gives +4 Strength and sets the maximum to 24 at level 20. You give the Brute +6 to both Strength and Constitution across the leveling progression of the class. I'd say, keep the maximum stat increases, as they're unique and provide a neat way of focus and power. Nix the free stat boosts. Consider a level 20 stat boost in line with the Barbarian's +4 to Strength: maybe +4 divided as you wish between Strength and Constitution in increments of +4/+0, +3/+1 and +2/+2 ?
  • I like how you used 2d4 as the class' hit dice, rather than a singular hit die. It's a little more beefy than d8, providing a little higher average than d8. It's a very neat choice. However, this brings up a unique problem for the class: do you recover hit points in singular d4 increments with a nice, big pool of d4's? Or do you recover health in increments of 2d4? Hit point recovery via resting and using hit dice, after all, assumes (roll + CON MOD), and with singular d4's, that extra healing adds up quickly. This is a unique problem only this class has, and you may want to consider outlining a ruling.
  • On that same note,

Brute Class design doc posted:

Hit Points at 1st Level: 8 + 2x your Constitution modifier
    Hit Points at Higher Levels: 2d4 (or 6) + 2x your Constitution modifier per Brute level after 1st
    2x CON mod bonus on HP? Hard pass. The extra HP will add up very quickly across every level, especially when you consider the extra utility the Brute gets out of that Constitution. No martial class comes close to this level of ablative armour. You may want to tone the hit point gain down to just 2d4 + Constitution modifier.
  • Your choice of stats for Unarmoured Defense is solid. A bit of a hyper focus, but it fits the theme. I love it. Barbarian's may scoff at this, however. Shame you can't Captain America it up with a shield, though, since Shield Master explicitly says 'wield a shield,' thus running counter to Unarmoured Defense.
  • I like Mighty Leap. A lot. You might want to include an example of legal movement when you stride your full 20, 30 feet across land and then jump at the end of the movement. Where do you end up? At least it's a neat way to get around without resorting to just Movement Improvement. Also consider linking to FexLab's 5e Jump tool that DKWildz found, or refer to the jumping and distance rules with page numbers in your final draft.
  • Brutish Durability has amazing flavour. Hell, if you roll 20 or above, you can count the roll as a natural 20! That's great! However, it is now also a better and always-on Bardic Inspiration on saves and death saving throws. Paladins have a similar feature in their Aura of Courage, but only when conscious, and scaling from their Charisma. Perhaps scale the die down to d4 (to fit your use of d4's for hit points and damage dice), and/or have it apply only to your death saving throws. You will be getting Monk-like proficiency in all saving throws, after all, come level 14 via Unstoppable.
  • Editing niggles:
    • Decapitalize your use of 'Brute' throughout the text to 'brute' to better fit in line with other class write-ups in the various books.
    • Maybe rename Crushing Fists to Overpower? After all, your class feature extends to your improvised weapons, too, and not just your meaty paws.
On to archetypes:
  • Your archetypes have an interesting feel to them. Rather than grant one or two features wholesale per tier/level that you gain archetype powers into, you seem to settle on 'give one feature, then add another and improve the first,' and so on. This may be a bit too powerful. Compare the archetypes of other classes, for instance. They usually have their scaling abilities from their base class, while the extra flavour and mechanics (that do not tend to scale) tend to come from their archetype. I am not sure how much you'd need to revise or otherwise rewrite, so that's all up to you, but I'm leaning towards the archetypes generally being more powerful than other martial classes' archetypes in general. This may definitely need revising.
  • Strength of the Mountain:
    • This is absolutely my favourite archetype, but I feel it is a bit leaning towards being too powerful. Especially compared to other martial classes' abilities and their capacity to deal damage to multiple targets.
    • The rest of the features' names are outstanding and thematic. Definitely keep them, but check for formatting and referencing names and features.
    • Consider renaming Roots of the Mountain? instead to the base feature of the archetype, your ability to strike multiple foes at once and which improves only more and more as you level in the archetype: Avalanche Blow.
  • Strength of the Elements seems weak compared to Strength of the Mountain.
    • Under Blaze of the Elements, under what conditions do you shed light? Is it always on? Only when you have your weapons charged with energy? How long does the charge last?
    • The archetype's features are also very flame-centric in name. Maybe shorter names, rather than 'of the's. Consider Elemental Spark, Elemental Ignition, Elemental Torrent and Elemental Typhoon for that touch of 'every element gets referenced' perhaps?
    • Gaining multiple movement modes that are always on is very powerful. It's great, sure, and this may have been intentional in your design. Not even other martials can approach this kind of delightful craziness, on top of the existing increased mobility via Mighty Leap. Even Sorcerors are limited in this capacity. Consider it being limited to your use of charged energy, or use a ki point-like mechanic? Or look at the Oath of Vengeance Paladin's Avenging Angel feature, where such a change is limited to only one hour per long rest, after using an action.
  • Strength of the Sun suffers a little under some weak names and some other issues.
      You have a powerful 'all damage is radiant damage' from Strength of the Candle Light that doesn't seem to fit or be in line with how elemental damage is dealt with the abilities gained from Strength of the Elements. Doubly so if something comes up that is radiant-immune. Might want to tweak that.
    • Praise the Bonfire Light suffers from a little lack of clarity on the healing it grants.

Brute Class design doc posted:

Healing energy radiates from you. For 1 minute per Short Rest you can use a bonus action to cause one creature in your aura, including you, to regain 2d6 hit points.
      This may require some reformatting. Correct me if I mistake the intent of the ability, as that'll be up to you, anyway. The final editing, I mean.

quote:

Healing energy radiates from you. As a bonus action, you may grant one creature in your aura, including yourself, the ability to regain 2d6 hit points per turn for ten turns. These turns do not need to be subsequent, and you may freely shut down this ability. You regain the full use of this ability when you finish a long rest.
    • Praise the Bonfire Light grants a whole slew of advantages to saving throws. Praise the Sun gives a whole slew of always-on immunities. Thematic, yes, but perhaps a bit too much. Most classes do not get easy access immunities (outside of loving spells :smugwizard:), and those classes that do get immunities to special effects and damage types tend to only get one or two of them from their class or archetype features. You may want to consider tweaking this to be less all-inclusive, or perhaps that you can choose which among the many immunities you will choose as your light burns away at these impurities. Perhaps allow the Brute of the Sun to change these immunities on the onset of every sunrise/after a long rest for a little versatility. Personally, I'd say go for immunity to being blinded and resistance to necrotic damage.
    • Consider renaming the archetype features, they're a bit weak at the moment. Nurture the Sun's Light (you start having Sun's Light features), Guide by the Sun's Warmth (you start having an aura), Lead by the Sun's Grace (you can heal), Praise the Sun (because of course) or Champion of the Sun
    • Editing niggles: you make references to various levels of light (Bright Light, Dim Light, Magical Darkness). You may want to decapitalize them, as capitalization should only be used for spells by the same name (Light, Darkness).

lol Reddit, but have a peek at r/dndhomebrew when you're mostly done with your class for some more feedback. Also consider editing your draft with Homebrewery for that neat, PHB-styled look.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Dinictus posted:

Man, I really like the flavour of this class. There's some very unique features there I really enjoy in a more beaty styled brawler unlike the Monk. It almost takes the best of the Barbarian with the flavours of the Monk but still being Its Own Thing. Particularly your choices regarding the use of d4's and the Strength of the Mountain archetype in particular. I think that, outside of some niggles and editing choices, you could really have a great class on your hands there.

Thank you for taking the time to go over it to this level.

quote:

In no particular order:
  • Might of the Brute is overpowered, full stop. It's great for flavour, increasing your maximum stats for Strength and Constitution at level 8, 16 and 20 all by two to a maximum of 26, but on top of that you also give two free stat boosts at each of those levels. Especially when you consider you, as a Brute, derive your attack and damage bonus from Strength, extra hit points from Constitution, and defense from both. Not even the Barbarian comes close to getting anything like Might of the Brute - Primal Champion only gives +4 Strength and sets the maximum to 24 at level 20. You give the Brute +6 to both Strength and Constitution across the leveling progression of the class. I'd say, keep the maximum stat increases, as they're unique and provide a neat way of focus and power. Nix the free stat boosts. Consider a level 20 stat boost in line with the Barbarian's +4 to Strength: maybe +4 divided as you wish between Strength and Constitution in increments of +4/+0, +3/+1 and +2/+2 ?

So yeah I got the idea from the Barbarian capstone, which increases Strength and Constitution by +4 each, to a Maximum of 24. But I felt the Brute should be a true wall of muscle, stronger and tougher than pretty much anything, so I increased it to +6. But there is a problem with the Barbarian capstone, it is a very long wait for a small bonus. This bonus is a little bigger but it is still a really long wait for a relatively minor bonus. And most people never even reach level 20. So I tried to spread the stat increase throughout the levels so a player could actually experience the stat growth as they play. Besides for Strength at least it is entirely possible for someone to find a belt that gives a higher strength score.

quote:

• I like how you used 2d4 as the class' hit dice, rather than a singular hit die. It's a little more beefy than d8, providing a little higher average than d8. It's a very neat choice. However, this brings up a unique problem for the class: do you recover hit points in singular d4 increments with a nice, big pool of d4's? Or do you recover health in increments of 2d4? Hit point recovery via resting and using hit dice, after all, assumes (roll + CON MOD), and with singular d4's, that extra healing adds up quickly. This is a unique problem only this class has, and you may want to consider outlining a ruling.
  • On that same note,

2x CON mod bonus on HP? Hard pass. The extra HP will add up very quickly across every level, especially when you consider the extra utility the Brute gets out of that Constitution. No martial class comes close to this level of ablative armour. You may want to tone the hit point gain down to just 2d4 + Constitution modifier.

• Yeah I got the idea from the Ambuscade Ranger they worked on in a UA. That class actually had 2D6 Hit Dice per level, and they went on to specify that yes you could use each individual D6 separately with Con mod when using HD for healing on a Short Rest. Which of course meant that Con mod should be added in for each 1D6 they have when leveling. Now D6s seemed a bit much, but I liked the idea of a class that is just that tough, harkening back to the early rangers that used to start with 2d8 HD back before 3e. It might be a bit too much HP would have to see it in play, either way I still like the idea of having the extra HD for Short Rest healing.

quote:

• Your choice of stats for Unarmoured Defense is solid. A bit of a hyper focus, but it fits the theme. I love it. Barbarian's may scoff at this, however. Shame you can't Captain America it up with a shield, though, since Shield Master explicitly says 'wield a shield,' thus running counter to Unarmoured Defense.

• Yeah I wanted it to be more like a Monk with no Shield use possible. AC would get higher than a Barbarian's because of the slightly higher max stats, and the focus on Str and Con instead of Dex and Con. It does mean no Shield Master, no Evasion for Dex saves by using a Shield, no knocking enemies Prone with a Bonus Action using a Shield or other shenanigans like that, but I think it is okay for the flavor.

quote:

• I like Mighty Leap. A lot. You might want to include an example of legal movement when you stride your full 20, 30 feet across land and then jump at the end of the movement. Where do you end up? At least it's a neat way to get around without resorting to just Movement Improvement. Also consider linking to FexLab's 5e Jump tool that DKWildz found, or refer to the jumping and distance rules with page numbers in your final draft.

• Hmm I thought it was clear. But I will have to go and take another look at it to make sure it is clear. If you have Move 30, and Jump 20, you can move 30 feet then jump 20 feet further putting you up to 50 feet away. Or you can Move ten feet, Jump 20 feet, then continue moving another twenty feet on the other side. Or move 5 feet, jump 10 feet, move another 5 feet, jump another 10 feet, and finish the last 20 feet of movement.

quote:

• Brutish Durability has amazing flavour. Hell, if you roll 20 or above, you can count the roll as a natural 20! That's great! However, it is now also a better and always-on Bardic Inspiration on saves and death saving throws. Paladins have a similar feature in their Aura of Courage, but only when conscious, and scaling from their Charisma. Perhaps scale the die down to d4 (to fit your use of d4's for hit points and damage dice), and/or have it apply only to your death saving throws. You will be getting Monk-like proficiency in all saving throws, after all, come level 14 via Unstoppable.

• So I got this, whole cloth, from the Brute archetype of the Fighter. Which was a large part of the inspiration for the class. And personally I feel like the Fighter's Indomitable should go back to Advantage on all Saves like it was during the Playtest. Yes this helps them make Saves, but they still don't likely have the stats to do real well on the other saves.

quote:

• Editing niggles:
    • Decapitalize your use of 'Brute' throughout the text to 'brute' to better fit in line with other class write-ups in the various books.

• Hmm I could do that, I didn't remember if they capitalize the class name or not.

quote:

• Maybe rename Crushing Fists to Overpower? After all, your class feature extends to your improvised weapons, too, and not just your meaty paws.

• Hmm was originally calling them Magic Crushing Fists, but was suggested to cut it down, Overpower could work for the name though.

quote:

On to archetypes:
    • Your archetypes have an interesting feel to them. Rather than grant one or two features wholesale per tier/level that you gain archetype powers into, you seem to settle on 'give one feature, then add another and improve the first,' and so on. This may be a bit too powerful. Compare the archetypes of other classes, for instance. They usually have their scaling abilities from their base class, while the extra flavour and mechanics (that do not tend to scale) tend to come from their archetype. I am not sure how much you'd need to revise or otherwise rewrite, so that's all up to you, but I'm leaning towards the archetypes generally being more powerful than other martial classes' archetypes in general. This may definitely need revising.

quote:

• Strength of the Mountain:
    • This is absolutely my favourite archetype, but I feel it is a bit leaning towards being too powerful. Especially compared to other martial classes' abilities and their capacity to deal damage to multiple targets.
    • The rest of the features' names are outstanding and thematic. Definitely keep them, but check for formatting and referencing names and features.
    • Consider renaming Roots of the Mountain? instead to the base feature of the archetype, your ability to strike multiple foes at once and which improves only more and more as you level in the archetype: Avalanche Blow.

• Strength of the Mountain is definitely designed to spread the damage around, rather than focus firing. With the naming I tried to start from as low as you can go to as high as you can go on a mountain. Avalanche Blow does sound thematic for the actual attack.

quote:

• Strength of the Elements seems weak compared to Strength of the Mountain.
    • Under Blaze of the Elements, under what conditions do you shed light? Is it always on? Only when you have your weapons charged with energy? How long does the charge last?
    • The archetype's features are also very flame-centric in name. Maybe shorter names, rather than 'of the's. Consider Elemental Spark, Elemental Ignition, Elemental Torrent and Elemental Typhoon for that touch of 'every element gets referenced' perhaps?
    • Gaining multiple movement modes that are always on is very powerful. It's great, sure, and this may have been intentional in your design. Not even other martials can approach this kind of delightful craziness, on top of the existing increased mobility via Mighty Leap. Even Sorcerors are limited in this capacity. Consider it being limited to your use of charged energy, or use a ki point-like mechanic? Or look at the Oath of Vengeance Paladin's Avenging Angel feature, where such a change is limited to only one hour per long rest, after using an action.

• Strength of the Element deals more damage to a single target generally, unless you manage to push an enemy into a wall with Strength of the Mountain. You shed light while your Unarmed Strike is Imbued with an element. This lasts until you spend a Bonus Action to switch element, or turn your elements off entirely.

I was definitely having issues coming up with a scaling series of names that felt like it touched all the elements.

The multiple movement modes is not a big thing for most of them. It is easy for characters to get Climb and Swim speeds. Earth Glide is the exception, Druid's Wildshaping into an Earth Elemental can get it much of the time, but other than that I am not sure how common it is. As for Flight, there are certain classes that get that at will at 14th level, of course those are mostly ranged casters who obviously benefit from the ability to fly out of melee character's reach a great deal more. Sorcerers are not limited, Dragon Sorcerer's get at will flight at 14th level, at least one Cleric archetype gets at will flight as well.

quote:

• Strength of the Sun suffers a little under some weak names and some other issues.
      You have a powerful 'all damage is radiant damage' from Strength of the Candle Light that doesn't seem to fit or be in line with how elemental damage is dealt with the abilities gained from Strength of the Elements. Doubly so if something comes up that is radiant-immune. Might want to tweak that.

• Yeah some of the names were not really what I wanted, but I wanted them to fit thematically and wanted to end on Praise the Sun.

I wanted each archetype to have a different way of dealing more damage, Mountain gets a cleave like effect based off the War Hulk from 3.5 and potentially extra damage from knocking enemies into walls based off of Dungeoncrasher Fighter also from 3.5, Elements gets basically an at will switchable Elemental Weapon though it scales a little higher, Zephyr gets extra attacks as they move though how that worked has changed a bit in the process, and Sun was about doing a different kind of damage, I added in a bit of radiant damage on top because of some paladin spells I was incorporating, but mostly by doing a very unusual damage type for resistance. Though yeah I should probably think of what happens if someone is resistant or immune to radiant.

quote:

• Praise the Bonfire Light suffers from a little lack of clarity on the healing it grants.

This may require some reformatting. Correct me if I mistake the intent of the ability, as that'll be up to you, anyway. The final editing, I mean.

• So it is based off an aura spell that gives some healing on a bonus action to a creature in your aura. Originally I just gave it always on but it was commented that it might be too powerful at will, so I cut it down to 1 minute of use per Short Rest.

quote:

• Praise the Bonfire Light grants a whole slew of advantages to saving throws. Praise the Sun gives a whole slew of always-on immunities. Thematic, yes, but perhaps a bit too much. Most classes do not get easy access immunities (outside of loving spells :smugwizard:), and those classes that do get immunities to special effects and damage types tend to only get one or two of them from their class or archetype features.

• Again these are based off Paladin aura spells. And Paladins do get some immunities or advantage on saving throws vs certain things. Having a single one of these spells up on a Paladin can probably give most of the advantage and immunities. While maybe not all of them on one character at one time with just 1 spell, the Paladin also has other spells that do things.

quote:

You may want to consider tweaking this to be less all-inclusive, or perhaps that you can choose which among the many immunities you will choose as your light burns away at these impurities. Perhaps allow the Brute of the Sun to change these immunities on the onset of every sunrise/after a long rest for a little versatility. Personally, I'd say go for immunity to being blinded and resistance to necrotic damage.

I might change it, Immunity to Blinded and Resistance to Necrotic make sense. Did I not include them? I might change it to have only some up at a time, but I built a lot of the archetype off of paladin aura spells or similar things.

quote:

• Consider renaming the archetype features, they're a bit weak at the moment. Nurture the Sun's Light (you start having Sun's Light features), Guide by the Sun's Warmth (you start having an aura), Lead by the Sun's Grace (you can heal), Praise the Sun (because of course) or Champion of the Sun

• Yeah I would definitely want to look into new names for the features. Your suggestions seem pretty good for them.

quote:

• Editing niggles: you make references to various levels of light (Bright Light, Dim Light, Magical Darkness). You may want to decapitalize them, as capitalization should only be used for spells by the same name (Light, Darkness).

• Hmm I thought since they were glossary terms that were actually important instead of just random words that it would be better to capitalize them, but if you think it will be less confusing I may change it.

quote:

lol Reddit, but have a peek at r/dndhomebrew when you're mostly done with your class for some more feedback. Also consider editing your draft with Homebrewery for that neat, PHB-styled look.

These can be rather useful, I would definitely like to make it look nicer once I have finalized it.

Toshimo
    Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
    I think I know the answer, but why do like 90% of special abilities say "oncee per long rest", but a very few (like the drow innate spells) say "once per day"?

Novum
    May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
    This brute class is basically what I wanted my goliath to be tbh.

Adbot
    ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
    Jan 6, 2013

Toshimo posted:

I think I know the answer, but why do like 90% of special abilities say "oncee per long rest", but a very few (like the drow innate spells) say "once per day"?

The pessimistic answer says, 'nobody loving looked.'

The slightly less pessimistic answer: Monster innate abilities are usually X per day, I think, so maybe it's an example of lifting something from drow-as-monsters?