Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

finally got around to unlocking my first T10 - conqueror :getin:

Guillotine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
all those games in the nelson paying off!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Working my way up to a Des Moines. Currently in the Pensecola. Today's my weekend warrior day it seems though, haven't had a good game yet despite the rest of the weekend being relatively painless.

Idiot DD's sitting in smokes getting torped or lit up by radar, idiot cruisers who drive into half the enemy team's guns when the enemy has nothing better to shoot at, my shots perfectly bracketing enemy cruiser's that are just sitting there and when I do do well it's because I go YOLO mode in the face of the entire enemy team that's converging on the remnants of mine and I figure 'might as well make this game worth losing, what can I kill before I die?'

Turns out not much. Always a citadel or a penetration short, sometimes leaving the enemy at less than a thousand health :shepicide:

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Clan Wars time BOATC, get your asses online or I'm dumping the clan to get my drat steel.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Blindeye posted:

Clan Wars time BOATC, get your asses online or I'm dumping the clan to get my drat steel.

I max out at T5 lol what do I shoot

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

finally got around to unlocking my first T10 - conqueror :getin:

AP is love, AP is life.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

I max out at T5 lol what do I shoot

We have like 30 players with multiple tier 10s.

We need 7 online for clan wars.

It is your fault.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Blinks77 posted:

AP is love, AP is life.

don't get me wrong being a flame thrower is hilarious, but there's something so satisfying about sneaking up on a montana and chunking it for half its health with that 18 inch AP.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

got ocean map for the first time ever. what a absolute garbage map

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Darkrenown posted:

Now that we can buy the special upgrades with coal does anyone have a list of which ships get the most benefit from them for general use? My initial thoughts are radar duration is still the most useful, with Soviet CAs getting priority due to the longer range.

There's also some gimmick ships like the Perth and Haidia who can use smoke/hydro/spotting plane, but they are pretty niche.

French BBs and CLs enjoy a speed boost, but I have no idea how to weigh that again longer radars.

What other ships cry our for special modules? Is it worth using hydro duration one germans etc?

engine boost is universally good on any ship that can slot it, and if you have a lot of doubloons and aren't worried about demounting, you can throw it on the DD line you're grinding (or french CAs) and get more mileage out of your boosts.

RADAR mod is of course really good, but I'd prioritize getting some Engine Boost mods first, unless you need a clan wars RADAR boat operational.

Most of the other mods are eh, unless its a gimmick like smoke mod.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

T8 truly is the new T5. :shepicide:

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

don't get me wrong being a flame thrower is hilarious, but there's something so satisfying about sneaking up on a montana and chunking it for half its health with that 18 inch AP.

People really don't expect it. Most Conq's are throwing around nothing but HE so people feel safe showing their sides. Don't get me wrong. Conq HE is vicious but most people over use it.
Dev striking a Montana remains a highlight.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Ironically, all of the things that make Conqueror extremely good in random games precludes it from being a measured pick in competitive circuits.

It's actually really strange in that respect.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Fun and engaging

Bismarck, and they were HE bombs, not AP

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jul 9, 2018

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Heartcatch posted:

Ironically, all of the things that make Conqueror extremely good in random games precludes it from being a measured pick in competitive circuits.

It's actually really strange in that respect.

I thought I saw a few of them running around in the most recent King of the Seas?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Any NA clans doing clan wars I can join? It seems BOATC isn't doing them.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

toadee posted:

I thought I saw a few of them running around in the most recent King of the Seas?

I don't recall seeing many at all during the SEA qualifications. Yamato is slowly making a comeback though, despite having its cheeks outed as a major weakness.

Blindeye posted:

Any NA clans doing clan wars I can join? It seems BOATC isn't doing them.

Your best bet is to check the official forums for clans that are recruiting, I'm not aware of any other SA clans on NA that participate in clan battles. If you're halfway decent, you should be able to make it into a Typhoon rated clan at least.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Heartcatch posted:

Your best bet is to check the official forums for clans that are recruiting, I'm not aware of any other SA clans on NA that participate in clan battles. If you're halfway decent, you should be able to make it into a Typhoon rated clan at least.

I meant more like if anyone has recommendations so I don't accidentally join a tryhard/weeb clan.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Heartcatch posted:

I don't recall seeing many at all during the SEA qualifications. Yamato is slowly making a comeback though, despite having its cheeks outed as a major weakness.

CR33D (ex-OMNI streamers and friends) were running one yesterday (sometimes, Republique others). They did beat 10GO although that was a game they were running Republique in. I definitely saw a Conq or two during KOTS although I can't remember who was running it.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Blindeye posted:

I meant more like if anyone has recommendations so I don't accidentally join a tryhard/weeb clan.

Ha ha, to the best of my knowledge pretty much all of the top NA clans outside of OPG are weeb clans. :3:

Be sure to read through OPG's Public Code of Conduct before you apply!

You may try your luck with -X- or SUR though.

toadee posted:

CR33D (ex-OMNI streamers and friends) were running one yesterday (sometimes, Republique others). They did beat 10GO although that was a game they were running Republique in. I definitely saw a Conq or two during KOTS although I can't remember who was running it.

Aha. I haven't really paid attention to the EU scene. No one from SEA ran it in the KOTS international, I believe.

The Republique is a great pick if you have a good battleship driver. It absolutely crushes Hindenburgs.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
It might be that we have people who sit in discord and see if anyone is organizing. I'll try to take the lead more, since I don't feel like there's any reason we should have less clan wars people this season than the past two (other than yourshepherd being out of sorts).

RenegadeZombie
Jan 21, 2013
Re-applied for BOATC since my request expired.

Have to say after slogging through early tier US BBs and their dispersion, the New Mexico feels great. Have had a few 100k plus games which is a far cry better than I've done in the in the earlier BBs. Guess I should try the Japanese BBs again and see if the Fuso is a major upgrade over the Kongo.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

RenegadeZombie posted:

Re-applied for BOATC since my request expired.

Have to say after slogging through early tier US BBs and their dispersion, the New Mexico feels great. Have had a few 100k plus games which is a far cry better than I've done in the in the earlier BBs. Guess I should try the Japanese BBs again and see if the Fuso is a major upgrade over the Kongo.

Fuso loses accuracy but makes up for it by being a shotgun. It's an enjoyable ship.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Goons are allergic to voice chat, divisions.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

So, new Cleveland feels fun:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Buckle up, things are about to get bumpy Please note that the information in the Development Blog is preliminary.

ST. Balance changes. The Stalingrad cruiser. :allbuttons:

Added HE shells with the following characteristics:

Initial Shell Velocity 950 m / s; Maximum HE Shell Damage 4500; Chance of Fire on Target Caused by HE Shell 33%.

Firing Range is reduced from 22,890 to 20,350. Reload Time of Main Battery is increased from 18.5 to 20 seconds. Rotation Speed of Main Battery is increased from 4.5 to 5.0 deg. / sec.

The parameters of the dispersion ellipse are set to similar values of the Graf Spee cruiser (better than battleships, but worse than common cruisers). The parameters of ricochet angles of the AP shells are changed to the standard values.

In this form, the cruiser will become more versatile, while retaining the possibility of an effective game while using armor-piercing shells. However, shooting armor-piercing now becomes more demanding to the player's ability to choose the right moment for the volley.

ST. Balance changes. Japanese destroyers. :stare:

For the Japanese HE shells of 100 mm caliber (used on Akizuki, Kitakaze, Harugumo, Harekaze and secondaries of the Zao and Hakuryu), the armor penetration parameter was increased from 17 mm to 25 mm. This change will allow the HE shells to penetrate the armor of all destroyers, except for Khabarovsk.

Taking those changes into account, the following parameters change in the Akizuki:

Surface Detectability Range increased from 7.56 to 7.76 km;

Surface Detectability Range after shooting from smoke increased from 2.39 to 2.48 km;

The rudder shift time for the Hull (B) is increased from 4.8 to 5.8 s;

The rudder time for the Hull (A) is increased from 6.5 to 7.8 s.

Japanese destroyer Kitakaze:

Maximum Speed was increased from 33 knot to 36 knot to increase the level of comfort of the game on the ship.

ST. Balance changes. French ships. :thunk:

The French cruiser Henri IV. A test variant of the ship will be added to the game.
The consumable "Main Gun Reload Booster" has been added with the following characteristics:
Reload Time of the Main Caliber -50%;
Duration 15 s;
Cooldown 120 s and 80 s for Main Gun Reload Booster II;
Charges 2 and 3 for Main Gun Reload Booster II;
Main goal of the new consumable is to grant players of the ship a temporary boost for a small period of time to reload main guns and fire a final salvo.

The French battleship Jean Bart:
The tier was raised from VIII to IX. The ship's characteristics are changed to match the new tier. (next freexp ship confirmed)
The sigma parameter is increased from 1.8 to 2.0;
The reload time of the Main Battery is reduced from 30 to 26 s;
The parameters of the consumable "Repair party" have been changed:
Number of charges: increased from 1 (2 for Repair party II) to 3 (4);
Cooldown: reduced from 120 (80 for Repair party II) to 60 seconds (40 seconds).

The French battleship Alsace:
Increased the reload time of the Main Battery from 30 to 32 s;
Reduced the value of sigma from 1.7 to 1.6.
The ship has a rather high average damage rating, while being on the same tier for the other parameters with tier IX battleships.

The French cruiser Emile Bertin:
Increased the reload time of the Main Battery from 12 to 13 s.
Torpedoes 550-mm DT replaced by 550-mm 19D with the following characteristics:
Reload time: 84 s;
Damage from the torpedo: 12 233;
Torpedo speed: 57 knots;
Range: 6 km.
Possessing a specific armor scheme, guns with good ballistics and torpedoes with a long range, the ship showed excessive efficiency. Changes are necessary in order to bring the ship to balance at her tier.

ST. Balance changes. British ships. :downsgun:

Changed the range for the British torpedo MK VII (installed on the cruiser Emerald, Leander, destroyers Jervis, Icarus):
Range increased from 6 to 7km.

British cruiser Emerald:
Surface Detectability Range reduced from 11.52 to 10.18 km;
Surface Detectability Range after shooting from smoke reduced from 5.4 to 4.56 km.
Changes are designed to increase the average life time and, accordingly, the overall effectiveness in combat.

Researchable British destroyers, II-X tier:
Removed the consumable "Engine Boost". The change is intended to emphasize the role of "defensive" and relatively slow destroyers, that have wide-radius smoke screens and Hydroacoustic Search.

British Destroyer Lightning:
Fixed a bug with an incorrect parameter for reloading Main Battery. The indicator was reduced from 6 to 5 seconds.

As part of testing the British destroyer Cossack, the following parameters have been changed:
Surface Detectability Range increased from 6.49 to 6.97 km.
Surface Detectability Range after shooting from smoke increased from 2.31 to 2.48 km.
The angles of the guns of the Main Battery were changed:
1 turret - added 58 degrees in total;
2 turret - added the ability to rotate 360 degrees;
3 turret - no change;
4 turret - added 36 degrees in total.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Not sure I like the stealth/maneuverability changes to Dakadaka-san.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

It's still a pretty big gently caress off to USN DDs though

I'm not done yet!

ST. Balance changes. Soviet destroyers and the "Chapayev" cruiser.

Soviet destroyers "Gnevny" and "Minsk":
Increased the speed of rotation of the Main Battery from 6.0 to 9.7 deg. / sec.

Soviet destroyer "Podvoisky":
Increased the speed of rotation of the Main Battery from 6.0 to 9.7 deg. / sec.;
Reduced the reload time of the Main Battery from 8.1 to 7.5 s.

The Soviet modules 102 mm/60 Model 1911 (installed on Soviet destroyers of Tier II-IV):
Increased the speed of rotation of the Main Battery from 8.0 to 9.7 deg. / sec.;

The Soviet destroyer "Tashkent":
Added a researchable main battery module: 130 mm / 55 B-2-U from Khabarovsk. This addition will make moving along the Tech Tree more logical and will allow you to get used to tier X ballistics in advance.
The changes increase the combat effectiveness of Soviet destroyers, leading them to balance with their classmates, and also allow them to focus on artillery dueling, because slow turrets often hampered the effectiveness of making use of ballistics and damage per minute.

The Soviet cruiser "Chapayev":
The possibility of installing the equipment "Surveillance Radar" on the A Hull.
Change brings consistency to this ship's progression.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

NTRabbit posted:

Removed the consumable "Engine Boost". The change is intended to emphasize the role of "defensive" and relatively slow destroyers, that have wide-radius smoke screens and Hydroacoustic Search.[/b]

*releases a new tree of radar ships*

Ah, now is the perfect time for "slow and defensive" DDs that rely on smokes. :shuckyes:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Blindeye posted:

Not sure I like the stealth/maneuverability changes to Dakadaka-san.

Seems like they want to make it clumsier so the dumpy t10 feels like less of a downgrade.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 10, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

bloom posted:

*releases a new tree of radar ships*

Ah, now is the perfect time for "slow and defensive" DDs that rely on smokes. :shuckyes:

Nerfing already mediocre looking RN destroyers before they're released and then buffing Soviet destroyers in the same test patch is pretty much peak petty Bolshevik.

Tathris
Mar 26, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

The French cruiser Henri IV. A test variant of the ship will be added to the game.
The consumable "Main Gun Reload Booster" has been added with the following characteristics:
Reload Time of the Main Caliber -50%;
Duration 15 s;
Cooldown 120 s and 80 s for Main Gun Reload Booster II;
Charges 2 and 3 for Main Gun Reload Booster II;
Main goal of the new consumable is to grant players of the ship a temporary boost for a small period of time to reload main guns and fire a final salvo.

:vince:

"A final salvo" is a funny way of saying "turn into a Des Moines on steroids for 15 sec".

I was expecting that they'd give it a spotter plane or something, but I'm willing to take a free "rip broadsiding battleships in half" consumable.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
The Henri also gets more range and even faster reloads on its special upgrade too, right? You can also use the special French captain with improved AR. Reload could get real fast.

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again
the "legendary" upgrades missions have been a horrible grind. I finished the gearing upgrade just for CW to get that sweet 5.6km detection...it's nice but not worth the brain cells I lost playing that many gearing games in a row.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I had a really fun Massa game today, which shows how enjoyable the game can be when things work in your favor. Only 157K damage, but 6 kills, lots of secondary action, a comeback after losing all cap points and the closest dodge ever vs an Amagi on a ramming course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyIBQQ8R1xE

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 10, 2018

Tathris
Mar 26, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

The Henri also gets more range and even faster reloads on its special upgrade too, right? You can also use the special French captain with improved AR. Reload could get real fast.

With the legendary upgrade and the consumable:

4.765 seconds before AR

4.165 seconds on 50% with the special captain

3.690 seconds on 10% with special captain

That's between 4-5 salvos in 15 seconds, of up to 55,800 AP damage each (and the henri has enough pen to actually apply a large portion of that damage to anything)

That's 223,200-279,000 potential AP damage in ~15 seconds. With just pen damage (1/3) that's 74,400-93,000. (the henri can absolutely citadel battleships but let's be pessimistic)

Like I said, rip battleships in half. :getin:

(fair warning my math might suck here)

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Tathris posted:

With the legendary upgrade and the consumable:

4.765 seconds before AR

4.165 seconds on 50% with the special captain

3.690 seconds on 10% with special captain

That's between 4-5 salvos in 15 seconds, of up to 55,800 AP damage each (and the henri has enough pen to actually apply a large portion of that damage to anything)

That's 223,200-279,000 potential AP damage in ~15 seconds. With just pen damage (1/3) that's 74,400-93,000. (the henri can absolutely citadel battleships but let's be pessimistic)

Like I said, rip battleships in half. :getin:

(fair warning my math might suck here)

Hmm...better finish my Saint Louis grind....

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Well great, now I want one. And I'm already torn between the Hindenburg and Zao.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

But wait, there's more

ST. Balance changes. American and Pan-Asian ships.

For American and pan-Asian AP shells of 127 mm caliber for Mk 38 guns, the fuse time has been reduced from 0.03 to 0.01. The change will make it more efficient to deal "alpha" damage to destroyers and cruisers.

Fixed a bug for the US cruisers Seattle and Buffalo with the sigma parameter, now the indicator is 2.05 instead of 2.0.
The sigma paramerter bug for the American cruiser Baltimore has been fixed, now the value is 2.0 instead of 2.05.

American Battleship S. Carolina:
The sigma parameter is increased from 1.8 to 1.9. Change leads the battleship to balance with the ships of her tier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

I really wanted a jean bart but not at tier 9