Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

"it puts the lotion on its skin!" will be the perfect ad campaign!
Goodbye horse's dry skin!

Skin so soft you'll think it's someone else's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Seasonal manual labor needs to be *very* highly compensated to be worth it, because of the key word “seasonal.” It’s better to work the whole year at $15 an hour than half of it at $20 an hour.

Guest workers change this calculus because they come from low cost of living places. So it’s very much worth their while to do $15 an hour for 6 months in the USA as opposed to $1 an hour for the whole year in their home country.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Eh, just because that particular role is active in only one season, it doesn't mean that there is no other work available for the rest of the year.

Also if your God-Emperor Orange Pissbabby cuts off the flow of migrant labour, then highly-compensated American farmhands and $25 punnets of strawberries might be your only option.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Weatherman posted:

Eh, just because that particular role is active in only one season, it doesn't mean that there is no other work available for the rest of the year.

Also if your God-Emperor Orange Pissbabby cuts off the flow of migrant labour, then highly-compensated American farmhands and $25 punnets of strawberries might be your only option.

I'm not arguing for or against your point, but the cost of strawberries is a function of supply and demand, not a function of how much it costs to produce. If a grocery store could "make up" the cost of production by charging $25, they'd charge it already. In your scenario, $25 strawberries would happen because fewer farmers would be growing them.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Strawberries are relatively cheap because they're grown domestically and harvested with cheap labor. Get rid of that cheap labor and they'll be more expensive because they'll be grown far away and harvested with cheap labor and then shipped at great expense to the United States.

At no point will strawberries ever be picked by expensive labor.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Strawberries are relatively cheap because they're grown domestically and harvested with cheap labor. Get rid of that cheap labor and they'll be more expensive because they'll be grown far away and harvested with cheap labor and then shipped at great expense to the United States.

At no point will strawberries ever be picked by expensive labor.

I think Lockback's point is that food has numerous substitutes, if strawberries get expensive people will just not buy strawberries. At no point will strawberries be expensive, they just won't be available (at least mass market)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Foma posted:

I think Lockback's point is that food has numerous substitutes, if strawberries get expensive people will just not buy strawberries. At no point will strawberries be expensive, they just won't be available (at least mass market)

Ones grown and picked in the US won't be available. Just as what's in my local grocery store right now, there will be strawberries from Mexico and I'm sure other places. If people still want strawberries and they are too expensive to produce in the US the void WILL BE filled unless we trade war it from happening.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Foma posted:

Probably. The ol'hotdog versus hamburger substitute. If prices go up too much people will settle for strawberry flavored items to get their fix.

I'm trying to recall any food that disappears for stretches of time because of expense and the only thing I can think of are those little Halo oranges. Around the time they reach 8 bucks a bag the supermarkets stop carrying them. I'm sure there are other examples, but in our world of plenty there isn't much that isn't available at some price.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
the foreign strawberries wont be an option if tariffs are high and there is a trade war on

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Isn't this how you ended up with corn syrup in literally everything?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Carl Killer Miller posted:

My girlfriend, who's in training to become a dermatologist, is thinking about making and marketing a skin cream for horses. In her words, "they'll (horse people) buy anything!"

BWM, or the best with money?

Close, but pump it full of lavender and call it 'holistic equine epidural moisturizing creme'

Then sell it for $20 for a 3 oz tube and rake in the cash.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Subsidies get you that.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Foma posted:

Subsidies get you that.

Sadly, Big Strawberry isn't there yet.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

High tariffs on sugar to protect domestic sugar production and then subsidies on corn to promote corn growing.

At some point I have to question whether sugar growers are making less money with subsidies since so much of their business went to HFCS.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Splicer posted:

Goodbye horse's dry skin!

Skin so soft you'll think it's someone else's.

Silence the foals.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

High tariffs on sugar to protect domestic sugar production and then subsidies on corn to promote corn growing.

At some point I have to question whether sugar growers are making less money with subsidies since so much of their business went to HFCS.

My dad grew up in SE Colorado, sugar beet farming was huge in that area. Now the huge thing is leasing your water rights to Denver. Corn subsidies completely destroyed the sugar beet industry out there.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My dad grew up in SE Colorado, sugar beet farming was huge in that area. Now the huge thing is leasing your water rights to Denver. Corn subsidies completely destroyed the sugar beet industry out there.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
$25 strawberries will never happen because you can just grow your own strawberries lmao

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

$25 strawberries will never happen because you can just grow your own strawberries lmao

Many people can’t, or can only grow a pretty small amount. To say nothing of February.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Motronic posted:

Proper wine and juice grapes are determinate. Each variety in each field are all ripe at the same time.

I was harvesting with this equipment 20 years ago when I worked at a winery. As far as eating grapes, they are typically larger and I would suspect more likely to get bruised, but it would not surprise me at all if there wasn't a more appropriate harvester now, or even at that time, for that type of grape.

The equipment has specific row spacing and vine support requirements. They are not difficult to achieve, and even small producers follow this so they can pay someone to harvest for them/rent the equipment (which at small scale fits on the 3 point hitch of a common farm tractor). This poo poo is not complicated and is super common.

High-end vineyards (even those with extensive, flat fields) are pretty much 100% hand harvested, even today. Only the bulk stuff is machine harvested.

I can't speak to whether this actually makes a difference, but the people who run the show in Napa definitely think it does (and they pay through the nose to do it that way).

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 8, 2018

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Content:

92k in Debt - 100k Income (self.personalfinance)

quote:

Ashamed to admit that I have made some really bad choices in my life. My wife and I are currently 90k in debt with an annual combined salary of 100k we are both 24, and own a house which we owe 220k on, not much equity yet as we have been here for about a year. We were able to buy this house when we had about 80k in debt.

I didn't account for this in our 90k debt.

51k @ 6.99% on a Car that is VITAL to my Job. I have considered trying to trade it in but the only way out of it is at a 35k lose because it has been hit and depreciated in value a lot the vehicle is only worth about 15k right now. it runs perfectly, but it's depreciation due to accidents and repairs. 30k on combined student loans @3.29% and 10k on a Line of Credit. @7.99%

Out budget looks roughly like this Monthly:

Item Amount
Salary +5900
Roommate +600
Bonuses +500
Internet -80 ( 2 year contract)
Cellphone -250 (6 months left on contract than we are switching to a 40$ a month play each)
Gym -10
PSN -10
Spotify -15
Auto Loan -760
Mortgage -1067
Insurance -380 (This is life, house, auto)
Utilities -290 (Electricity. Gas. Water . etc)
Student Loans -430
CC Minimum -350
Land Tax -195
Condo Fee -75
Gas -300
Food -500
Bank fees -24
Medication -160
Spending -100
Remaining +2000

How do we even go about tackling this beast, is it worth it? Have we gone to far down the rabbit hole already? I am 100% committed to buckling down and getting this paid off and any advice is very welcome.

So what's the deal with the $51k car that is "VITAL" to his job?

quote:

I work in the Oil Field was a bad purchase a couple years ago and indeed was a trophy truck at the time. I would 100% never buy this again, knowing what I know now. But unfortunately because it was hit a couple times by others, every time I have tried to trade it in with a dealership I get appraised at about 15k. Meaning I lose 36k on the loan

Ah.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Does being in an accident but getting it fully repaired really gently caress up the value that badly?

My year old car has two brand new driver side doors after some lady T-Boned me. Wonder if my car is worth a pittance now.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I know we’re not supposed to touch the poop, but I really hope someone tells him that trade-ins are always going to be way lower than what you could sell it for. He needs to get that thing paid down quick, sell it, and buy an old Ranger or something. At least hopefully the old guys on the field will remember before trucks became luxury vehicles.

At least I don’t see anything else particularly stupid in there that he’s treating as normal. Maybe spending is unrealistically low. He knows the phone contract is dumb. If he actually put anywhere near the amount he says is left over into his debt he could stand a chance of fixing it.

Wait, he didn’t budget for repairs to the house or the vehicle. I guess at least if it’s a condo, the outside repairs tend to be covered by the fees?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Does being in an accident but getting it fully repaired really gently caress up the value that badly?

My year old car has two brand new driver side doors after some lady T-Boned me. Wonder if my car is worth a pittance now.

As part of your insurance settlement you should get a check for diminished value. For example, crunching the rear quarter panel of my wife's Buick because I'm an idiot resulted in a $1400 check representing our vehicle's diminished value.

So his excuse is bullshit. If someone hit his truck he would have received diminished value as part of his payout. He can cry now because his car is worth so much less but he didn't lose any money because of those accidents. Unless they were his fault. Only a few states cover that.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Krispy Wafer posted:

As part of your insurance settlement you should get a check for diminished value. For example, crunching the rear quarter panel of my wife's Buick because I'm an idiot resulted in a $1400 check representing our vehicle's diminished value.

So his excuse is bullshit. If someone hit his truck he would have received diminished value as part of his payout. He can cry now because his car is worth so much less but he didn't lose any money because of those accidents. Unless they were his fault. Only a few states cover that.

For my accident, we were deemed at equal fault :downs: No DV payout for me

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I know we’re not supposed to touch the poop, but I really hope someone tells him that trade-ins are always going to be way lower than what you could sell it for. He needs to get that thing paid down quick, sell it, and buy an old Ranger or something. At least hopefully the old guys on the field will remember before trucks became luxury vehicles.

At least I don’t see anything else particularly stupid in there that he’s treating as normal. Maybe spending is unrealistically low. He knows the phone contract is dumb. If he actually put anywhere near the amount he says is left over into his debt he could stand a chance of fixing it.

Wait, he didn’t budget for repairs to the house or the vehicle. I guess at least if it’s a condo, the outside repairs tend to be covered by the fees?

The glaring question here is how he apparently has no money on hand (and is in fact borrowing money via some sort of line of credit) despite being in a situation where he's supposedly netting $2,000 a month. It sounds like a lot of spending is falling through the cracks.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah gaining $10k in debt in a year (first paragraph) while claiming to have $2000/mo “extra” means something is not right here. I suppose things like “roommate and bonuses” could be very very recent, but eh. He’s either lying or with a small amount of discipline can be out of debt (minus mortgage) in five years.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Oil field people provide amazing stories. He doesn't even make much money, for being in oil... But if I'm reading that right, doesn't he have $2k/mo unspent income?

He also lists $350 min CC payment, but no CC debt in the debt list... I skimmed the thread and saw a few questions about that without reply, too. lol. Oiltards.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

No, no it does not. Not THAT badly. Sometimes it has no impact on value, sometimes it does - and insurance will cut a check for the difference, known as a diminished or residual value adjustment. (Payouts might not happen in all states, I've also never dealt with it. Ask your claims adjuster.)

I am guessing he didn't repair it.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

For my accident, we were deemed at equal fault :downs: No DV payout for me
Crock of poo poo. Equal/no fault...

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yeah gaining $10k in debt in a year (first paragraph) while claiming to have $2000/mo “extra” means something is not right here. I suppose things like “roommate and bonuses” could be very very recent, but eh. He’s either lying or with a small amount of discipline can be out of debt (minus mortgage) in five years.
He's probably not tracking poo poo very well. Random guesses, except the fixed bills (mortgage/escrow). See how everything is very much rounded? That's my guess at least.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8x5htm/not_sure_where_my_money_is_going_help/
Not sure where my money is going, help?

quote:

Mid-20s, single male. I separated from the military a few years ago and was living off my credit cards and basically living outside of my means for a good period (still trying to stop the living above my means portion). Going to avoid the backstory and get straight to the details of my budget.

Income:

Paycheck: $2100 bi-weekly (after contributing just enough into my 401k for my employer to match)

Disability: $1585 monthly

Housing stipend: ~$600 monthly (don't like to count this money into my long-term budgeting as it will be going away in a year)
TAKE HOME: $6385 (assuming two paychecks per month)

Monthly Expenses:

Rent: $1560 (including water)

Light: ~$40

Cell & Internet/Cable: ~$175 (I downgraded cable as much as possible)

Car Ins: $205

Moto Ins: $30

Groceries: $320 (on an "expensive" month)

Gym: $55

Haircut: $40
Debt:

Car: $515 ($28k left)

Motorcycle: $151 (~$4.5k left)

Credit card totals: $15,250 ($5200 of those interest free until next April. Another $2050 interest free until further notice)

Credit card minimums: $360
TOTAL EXPENSES: $3451

Current Savings: $3k (expect another one-off check of $3k in 2wks and another $3k in December that I'm adding to it). I just started saving halfway through last month since I was throwing most of my extra cash into my cards to pay them off. As of this month I've been paying only the minimums and trying to save $2k/month as I'm unsure whether to throw the extra cash into my debt or build an emergency fund. Also, I may or may not be relocating due to work so trying to save cash to fund the move.

I'm unsure of where most of my money is going. I know a lot of it is going towards eating out, which I'm trying to reduce. I prep my lunch but never my dinner which usually leads to me eating out after the gym.
What would be my best plan of action right now? Any input is appreciated.
He doesn't track his other spending outside of his recurring bills, and an arbitrary amount for groceries, so but he needs help figuring out how to manage with $3k/mo of missing cash.

quote:

I had a motorcycle as my main mode of transportation because it was all I could afford at the time. After a few months of doing this I saw that it wasn’t very practical so I got a car. I plan on selling my motorcycle but I’m upside down on it right now by a couple thousand. I was also trying to figure out how to lower my car payment (trading it in for a less expensive car) but since I’m upside down on it as well, it wouldn’t help any.

quote:

I have been [looking at my credit card/bank statements]. The majority of the extra money was towards eating out/entertainment (easily $300+) and gasoline. I fill with about $180/month not including trips home which are another $90 per trip.

It’s been hard tracking because I had been going home more often than usual and the girlfriend (now ex) and I split up, so the entertain budget should be decreasing.
Just loving use Mint or something, easy, free, see it all!

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Disability AND a high-paying job? What?

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

BMan posted:

Disability AND a high-paying job? What?
He’s probably getting disability pay from the military.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8x4ys7/recently_got_divorced_now_stuck_w_2_car_payments/
Recently got divorced now stuck w 2 car payments. Need advice..

quote:

Okay so I recently went through a divorce and initially we each had taken on our own vehicles to keep but now she can’t afford to keep paying on her vehicle and has never refinanced so I’m still the main one on the account. I have been paying on my truck which is $650 a month and now I’m expected to pay $500 for a vehicle as well. I’m curious if it wouldn’t be beneficial to trade both in on something, see if I can get someone else to take over payments on the vehicle and put it in their name, or just let it go back and see how bad it would hurt my credit. Any advice or insight would be appreciated. Not trying to ruin my credit but I’m not sure I can afford to pay on a car I won’t even use.

quote:

The car is worth 12k - 14k based on KBB and I owe 18k it’s a 2017 Hyundai Elantra, my 2014 Dodge Ram is worth 15k -18k based on KBB and I owe 19k

quote:

If I sold privately, I’m just guessing but I figured I could get anywhere from 10k - 15k on the car and just pay out the rest... that would be a last resort as I don’t know if I can afford it.
Of course his car is a truck. Of course.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

High-end vineyards (even those with extensive, flat fields) are pretty much 100% hand harvested, even today. Only the bulk stuff is machine harvested.

I can't speak to whether this actually makes a difference, but the people who run the show in Napa definitely think it does (and they pay through the nose to do it that way).

.....and then they buy juice from oregon that was machine harvested and mix it all together.

I know these games.

Also, the "quality" way to do this is to sort the harvest before crushing. It's a lot easier than doing it in the field - most accurate and requires fewer people. It's done on a belt on the way to the crusher both by hand and sometimes optically as a first stage (which i believe someone else already mentioned).

Remember, most of wine and wine marketing is 98.6% bullshit. People literally do not want the best product: they want the idea of what they think was the best from back in ye olden times. A lot of this is very obvious in packaging, which some parts of the market is finally just coming around to. Hint: bottles with corks and caps suck - they've been around forever because that's the best technology that was available at the time - the ultimate disposable packaging system for greater than a single serving it turns out is: bag in box. That's right - box wine. But nobody wants a rack of wine boxes in their kitchen/dining room/whatever.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

the ultimate disposable packaging system for greater than a single serving it turns out is: bag in box. That's right - box wine. But nobody wants a rack of wine boxes in their kitchen/dining room/whatever.

For the real nasty stuff you just get the bag (no box). In New Zealand we call it a death bladder, Australia its a goon bag. Nothing is more classy than the end result which is your fly undone with the death bladder tap hanging out.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Goon bag, I like that.

E: Wiki says its also known as a goon.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

A clerk at a free legal services legal clinic says "we do sim powl bankruptcies." That means they don't do bankruptcies of student loans, as that would require an adversarial filing. So,
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8x6nff/a_clerk_at_a_free_legal_services_legal_clinic/

quote:

...why do they only do "sim powl" bankruptcies? And why would committing an adversarial filing on a student loan bankruptcy somehow be something they'd not want to do?

I'd think anyone who needs to file bankruptcies on their student loans would be poor enough to need a free legal clinic, don't you think?

And why isn't a student loan bankruptcy categorized as a "sim powl bankruptcy?"

All those legal latin terms - pro bono, pro tempore, habeas corpus, and now sim powl, wow...

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Motronic posted:

A clerk at a free legal services legal clinic says "we do sim powl bankruptcies." That means they don't do bankruptcies of student loans, as that would require an adversarial filing. So,
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8x6nff/a_clerk_at_a_free_legal_services_legal_clinic/

Sim Powell, man that guy's lazy.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I decided to see what google would provide for "sim powl".

quote:

Bumming Crew Dating Sim (feat. Powl and Roots)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Motronic posted:

.....and then they buy juice from oregon that was machine harvested and mix it all together.

I know these games.

Also, the "quality" way to do this is to sort the harvest before crushing. It's a lot easier than doing it in the field - most accurate and requires fewer people. It's done on a belt on the way to the crusher both by hand and sometimes optically as a first stage (which i believe someone else already mentioned).

Remember, most of wine and wine marketing is 98.6% bullshit. People literally do not want the best product: they want the idea of what they think was the best from back in ye olden times. A lot of this is very obvious in packaging, which some parts of the market is finally just coming around to. Hint: bottles with corks and caps suck - they've been around forever because that's the best technology that was available at the time - the ultimate disposable packaging system for greater than a single serving it turns out is: bag in box. That's right - box wine. But nobody wants a rack of wine boxes in their kitchen/dining room/whatever.

If you blend with other vineyards then you won't be able to call your $100 wine "estate bottled" and all the fancy folks from san francisco will turn up their noses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

SiGmA_X posted:

Oil field people provide amazing stories. He doesn't even make much money, for being in oil... But if I'm reading that right, doesn't he have $2k/mo unspent income?

He also lists $350 min CC payment, but no CC debt in the debt list... I skimmed the thread and saw a few questions about that without reply, too. lol. Oiltards.
#itstimetogetoily