Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Jimbozig posted:

I don't really understand what the streamer did wrong that she decided to publicly drag him on Twitter, though? Like, as far as I can tell, she's mad that he replied to a Tweet she made on what she refers to as her "private" Twitter account (which is actually completely public). I can't find where he actually said anything even remotely offensive or impolite, but I may just suck at Twitter (I definitely suck at Twitter) and I may be missing something.

What am I missing?

He mansplained at her and literally did so about the job she was literally paid to do, an event that happens fairly regularly to women, and she didn't put up with it. Was she, perhaps, more rude than strictly necessary?

what the gently caress does that matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
None of this justifies the unquestionably sexist backlash that followed, but the Guild Wars 2 narrative team sucks at their job. It's like Blizzard-level bad. I'd probably talk down to them too if I still played or cared about the game.

The bigger picture here is that a man who reacted poorly to fan complaints on a personal twitter account might not have been taken to task the same way, and that even had the firing been justified (which is a very different question from the above) it should have been handled in a way that didn't embolden the kind of assholes who would immediately turn around and try to weaponize it.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 7, 2018

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The bigger picture here is that a man who reacted poorly to fan complaints on a personal twitter account might not have been taken to task the same way, and that even had the firing been justified (which is a very different question from the above) it should have been handled in a way that didn't embolden the kind of assholes who would immediately turn around and try to weaponize it.
It is very much a gender issue.
Rian Johnson's Twitter presence for like 2 months was just rephrasing "shutup, nerd".

Contrast that to the death, rape, and deathrape threats that chased Kelly Marie Tran and Daisy Ridley off of social media. People are terrible

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Yeah, I didn't miss that the manchild brigade was out in full force for the response. I was just wondering if there was a reason she made those tweets in the first place. It seems like she was sick of the shitlord harassers who are always on her case and blew up at an unsuspecting innocent dude.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
In a world where Kamiya’s twitter exists there’s no real defense for this poo poo.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
She was a little snippy to one streamer who responded to a long effortpost with 'Sure, but have you considered doing this blatantly obvious thing???'. To be fair, as far as I can tell the guy basically went 'fair enough' and wasn't part of what came next.

Then, inspired by that event but not even directed at the guy she made a post tagging no one in particular that she's always dealing with randos telling her how to suck eggs, and she's just going to block them instead of pretending to be nice. This is being treated as an act of targeted harassment because ??????

Basically, consider how even now you're willing to give the benefit of the doubt to streamer guy that he was perfectly sincere and not just JAQing off, but aren't extending the benefit of the doubt that she has a legitimate reason to be annoyed.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Jimbozig posted:

I don't really understand what the streamer did wrong that she decided to publicly drag him on Twitter, though? Like, as far as I can tell, she's mad that he replied to a Tweet she made on what she refers to as her "private" Twitter account (which is actually completely public). I can't find where he actually said anything even remotely offensive or impolite, but I may just suck at Twitter (I definitely suck at Twitter) and I may be missing something.

What am I missing?
Dictating to people about how to do things isn't creating a dialogue.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

MadScientistWorking posted:

Dictating to people about how to do things isn't creating a dialogue.

Is this you calling her out for repeatedly trying to tell people how to use Twitter or what? I can't tell what you mean from the context.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Libertad! posted:

Alexander Macris (owner of Autarch, Milo, Inc, Escapist Magazine, writer of ACKS) allegedly threatened to sue RPGnet over defamation of character, so they added him and his RPG on a list of banned conversation topics.

Lol this owns. I wonder who else he's gone after.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
This whole debacle just makes me more confused as to why anyone uses twitter in the first place. Is there anything twitter is actually better at than other platforms to publicly post stuff, other than "let randos butt in whenever they feel like it"?

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

She didn't have to be so rude to the guy, but he was absolutely mansplaining (though I doubt he had any ill intent there, based on the way he apologized and bowed out when she told him to get lost), and either way the backlash was entirely undeserved. And to top it all off, her employers were such cowards they caved in to the chuds? Seriously, gently caress that studio.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/HazelMonforton/status/1015610099702943745

oh my god ArenaNet you incredible loving assholes it's spreading gently caress you

Apparently monkey avatar guy's gone full scorched earth and deleted everything related to this, so apparently he at least didn't seem to get what he wanted out of it.

Desiden posted:

This whole debacle just makes me more confused as to why anyone uses twitter in the first place. Is there anything twitter is actually better at than other platforms to publicly post stuff, other than "let randos butt in whenever they feel like it"?

Twitter is fuckin awful garbage but A). a lot of the time it's not just a personal decision to have a Twitter but a professional one, insisted upon by one's employer for various reasons and B). as garbage as it is, it's a platform that's extremely valuable for a lot of creative types as a networking tool. Twitter doesn't objectively do anything amazingly great in and of itself but when all the people you want to network with are using Twitter then that's what you use too.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
They would wait to do this until right after I gave them money.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Falstaff posted:

She didn't have to be so rude to the guy, but he was absolutely mansplaining (though I doubt he had any ill intent there, based on the way he apologized and bowed out when she told him to get lost), and either way the backlash was entirely undeserved. And to top it all off, her employers were such cowards they caved in to the chuds? Seriously, gently caress that studio.

It's even worse, it was a preemptive cave in. By the time the rear end in a top hat brigade got spun up they'd already fired her and another employee.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Of course just because he deleted everything doesn't mean people didn't keep screenshots.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
A million years or so ago, I was on the bus downtown when I noticed a woman sitting in the seat across from me holding a little portable loom thing. It was really fascinating, and the pattern she was weaving was really neat, and I ended up staring at it. She noticed me staring, and very acidly said "Yeah, it's a loom, so what?" and glared at me.

When I tell this story to people, I often see them thinking "Wow, she was rude" even if they don't say it out loud. In one case, a not-a-friend-anymore said something to effect of how he hoped I told her off.

gently caress. That. Am I supposed to be so emotionally fragile that I can't accept another human being having a bad day? I have no way of knowing why she was so annoyed. Maybe her friends have been making fun of her hobby. Maybe a million strangers have been pestering her and she's tired of answering questions. Maybe she was supposed to turn in her art project yesterday and she's stressed out. Maybe she's just rude! Who knows? It's none of my loving business. She's not obligated to humor my attention just because she's visible in public.

I think about that loom a lot whenever I see someone say "She didn't have to be so rude but"

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Desiden posted:

It's loving awesome for following sports.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Tendales posted:

A million years or so ago, I was on the bus downtown when I noticed a woman sitting in the seat across from me holding a little portable loom thing. It was really fascinating, and the pattern she was weaving was really neat, and I ended up staring at it. She noticed me staring, and very acidly said "Yeah, it's a loom, so what?" and glared at me.

When I tell this story to people, I often see them thinking "Wow, she was rude" even if they don't say it out loud. In one case, a not-a-friend-anymore said something to effect of how he hoped I told her off.

gently caress. That. Am I supposed to be so emotionally fragile that I can't accept another human being having a bad day? I have no way of knowing why she was so annoyed. Maybe her friends have been making fun of her hobby. Maybe a million strangers have been pestering her and she's tired of answering questions. Maybe she was supposed to turn in her art project yesterday and she's stressed out. Maybe she's just rude! Who knows? It's none of my loving business. She's not obligated to humor my attention just because she's visible in public.

I think about that loom a lot whenever I see someone say "She didn't have to be so rude but"

I didn't even know mobile looming was a thing.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Jimbozig posted:

Is this you calling her out for repeatedly trying to tell people how to use Twitter or what? I can't tell what you mean from the context.
Her response was rather benign all things considered.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Falstaff posted:

The thing is it wasn't even the guy in question complaining. It was other chucklefucks complaining on his behalf.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Kibner posted:

It's loving awesome for following sports.

I get a lot of joy out of silly shitposts and microfiction. And it's good for following sales on stuff.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Desiden posted:

If you work in a creative industry (which the games industry is, especially if you're an artist or designer), being visible on social media is incredibly important for getting job opportunities, and unfortunately Twitter is the most visible social media platform right now.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Okay, thanks for explaining the situation. I didn't want to ask on Twitter because I didn't want to only hear the shitlords' take on it.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I mean. It's possible to think Price is a performative-woke aggro jerk towards people and occasionally uses her platform irresponsibly while also thinking it was wrong of ArenaNet to cave to what was really obviously a brigade of gamergaters surging to try and take down one of their old favorite targets. And especially the way Mike O'Brien apparently handled the firing was awful.

Both things can be true, you can think Price is a jerk (she is!) and that she didn't deserve to lose her job.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Reene posted:

I mean. It's possible to think Price is a performative-woke aggro jerk towards people and occasionally uses her platform irresponsibly while also thinking it was wrong of ArenaNet to cave to what was really obviously a brigade of gamergaters surging to try and take down one of their old favorite targets. And especially the way Mike O'Brien apparently handled the firing was awful.

Both things can be true, you can think Price is a jerk (she is!) and that she didn't deserve to lose her job.

And if you do, it's still appropriate to keep your mouth shut about the first thing because they're not of the same order of magnitude.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

And if you do, it's still appropriate to keep your mouth shut about the first thing because they're not of the same order of magnitude.

oh man, is it tone policing time again already?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Firing someone for personal Twitter behavior is dumb in first place. Unless you are saying the same kind of poo poo as Roseanne Barr or actively trying to slander someone else or commit perjury you should not be punished from your words but twitter culture has become so hostile that people actively try to find any material that can be used to snitch on someone and ruin their livelyhood for petty grievances.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Jimbozig posted:

What am I missing?
Explaining basic details of somebody's own job to them is rude, even if you're using seemingly polite language to do it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

homullus posted:

oh man, is it tone policing time again already?
Seriously...:gas:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 8, 2018

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Plutonis posted:

Firing someone for personal Twitter behavior is dumb in first place. Unless you are saying the same kind of poo poo as Roseanne Barr or actively trying to slander someone else or commit perjury you should not be punished from your words but twitter culture has become so hostile that people actively try to find any material that can be used to snitch on someone and ruin their livelyhood for petty grievances.
Plutonis is right and reasonable, what world are we living in?

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Reene posted:

What makes you say that her behaviour is performative?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Falstaff posted:

What makes you say that her behaviour is performative?
Price spends a lot of time on social media presenting herself as an ally and as someone who marginalized creators and fans can approach. However there have been repeated incidents where, when that actually happened, when someone's reached out for her opinion on a social justice topic or just reassurance after a company she's worked for made a clumsy or regressive decision, that's she's turned around and put them on blast precisely the way she did with this streamer. Not just responding with hostility, but quote-tweeting them and declaring them entitled and unreasonable and even as harassers.

It's entirely true that creators don't owe fans explanations and that the reality of our current system requires people to make difficult compromises in order to eat. But Price has a history of demanding better from other members of the industry and calling them out, while not walking the walk herself, and then doubling down by labeling what isn't even criticism as harassment from marginalized community members - and especially people that she absolutely would have known were vulnerable because of that. It's especially egregious since it would not have been held against her if she'd simply said she couldn't talk about it.

She also spends a lot of effort talking up the progressive credentials of companies she works for and even encouraging members of vulnerable communities to sign on with them, right up until she no longer works for them at which point she flips to talking about how they're actually regressive. I don't think she's lying about the regressive behavior she's seen at those companies, but I do think she elides the risk when she's employed with them.

All of this isn't just rudeness - it's a pattern of behavior that puts marginalized community members at greater risk, encouraging those community members to trust in and rely on her and then not following through on that, leaving them in the lurch or even actively exposing them to harassment. Bluntly, Price works very hard at establishing and protecting her brand as a Progressive Developer but won't do any activist work if it might inconvenience her.

Again, no one should expect her to put herself at risk - every person is entitled to make decisions about their own safety and livelihood. The problem is Price encourages others to take risks and then leaves them in the lurch when she has to put up herself.

Of course, that's not why ArenaNet fired her. ArenaNet's actions puts developers and community members at far greater risk than anything Price has done, and is utterly indefensible. It's the greater threat and failing by far.

It's still worth talking about all of it because there is an unfortunate tendency to beatify people who have had unjust things done to them. Someone does not need to be a saint to deserve just treatment, but having suffered unjust treatment doesn't mean someone is beyond reproach - they still need to be held accountable for their own damaging behavior.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
This coming from ArenaNet is the part that is the least surprising. That company has always been an absolute trash fire and is kinda known for being aggressively awful to it's employees. This is just another massive sign on how much unionization is needed in games development.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ProfessorCirno posted:

This coming from ArenaNet is the part that is the least surprising. That company has always been an absolute trash fire and is kinda known for being aggressively awful to it's employees. This is just another massive sign on how much unionization is needed in games development.

Yeah, a friend of mine worked at ANet on GW1 and practically leapt over a table when another friend said she had an interview there. It seems grim.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
All of the other TRPG luminaries working on Guild Wars I'm aware of left ArenaNet awhile back - Ree Sosebee and Angel McCoy left about eight months ago, and Jeff Grubb left two years ago.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
What makes it such a particular trash fire? Is it just a toxic corporate culture or is it something in their business model that makes them such a clusterfuck?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
In more fun TRPG news, here's an interesting set of articles on the Swedish edgelord cabal that is Nu White Wolf and how they appear to be deliberately courting the alt-right as their intended audience for the oWOD relaunch.

http://www.dogwithdice.com/whitewolfaredead/

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
y i k e s

I kind of wish there was a gothic game like vampire that I could support that wasn't made by people that were real fuckin' lovely. What's the cross over with Onyx Path on this? Am I gonna have to feel bad about giving them money for Scion?

edit - answered at the bottom of the post, thank gently caress.

Sion fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 9, 2018

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Desiden posted:

What makes it such a particular trash fire? Is it just a toxic corporate culture or is it something in their business model that makes them such a clusterfuck?

From my understanding, it's the CEO who's a huge piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Cassa posted:

From my understanding, it's the CEO who's a huge piece of poo poo.

Who has also proceeded to hire pieces of similarly flavored poo poo to work on their product.