Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
My great regret is that I turned down writing on one because I was too busy at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I stumbled on an RPG.net thread that follows the, well, metaplot between them and was fascinated.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Daeva is potentially my favorite because I think it had the most compelling way to really grok how vampires come off as these parasitic monsters around others, how they bend people around them psychologically. Obviously it was talking about Majesty but I think it applies more broadly than that, and really enjoyed the POV of a mortal of how "wrong" a vampire is, even when they are also perfect.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

hangedman1984 posted:

Random adventure hook idea:
A number of weird, unexplainable accidents have been plaguing a corporate chicken farm. Turns out all the suffering and pain endured by the chickens have coalesced into some malevolent spiritual entity the players would have to defeat.

...its a poultry-geist :imunfunny:

I mean, that's pretty explicitly how some Banes formed. We fought one made from a hog confinement, and his poo poo-demon toxic buddy in a Werewolf game I played back in the day.

It was vicious.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Liquid Communism posted:

In more fun TRPG news, here's an interesting set of articles on the Swedish edgelord cabal that is Nu White Wolf and how they appear to be deliberately courting the alt-right as their intended audience for the oWOD relaunch.

http://www.dogwithdice.com/whitewolfaredead/

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Dawgstar posted:

I stumbled on an RPG.net thread that follows the, well, metaplot between them and was fascinated.

Do you have any links? I'm interested.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Do you have any links? I'm interested.

https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?464972-V-tR-Unravelling-the-Clanbooks-(Warning-very-long-and-spolierish!)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

This is what I love about nWoD lore.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This is what I love about nWoD lore.

I know, right? And people say the nWoD doesn't have any setting.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm still impressed that the Old Man On The Shore has managed to find another terminal shoreline to hang out and be incredibly ominous on.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Mors Rattus posted:

I'm still impressed that the Old Man On The Shore has managed to find another terminal shoreline to hang out and be incredibly ominous on.

Voormas gets around.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dave Brookshaw posted:

I know, right? And people say the nWoD doesn't have any setting.

It is the inject it into my veins good stuff.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
And the thread title just gets more apropos.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

Daeva is potentially my favorite because I think it had the most compelling way to really grok how vampires come off as these parasitic monsters around others, how they bend people around them psychologically. Obviously it was talking about Majesty but I think it applies more broadly than that, and really enjoyed the POV of a mortal of how "wrong" a vampire is, even when they are also perfect.

For me it's Mekhet (love them crazy OCD vampires), but I loved all of them.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The Gangrel clanbook did not devote enough page space to the incredible influence on Gangrel standing of the clan's, and arguably the entire species', strongest social Discipline power (Protean ***, Claws of the Wild).

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

People are blowing up about this on social media at the moment, especially in the MES. We're using the LARP rules that came out in 2013, but we're probably going to see a steady stream of edgelords show up at our games once this gets out.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It really sucks to see WW fall like this. When I found Vampire and other games I was young and literally all I knew was my dad's old D&D stuff. It's really lame and I know WW always has had issues but as a dorky closet case who kinda had issues with his dad that made D&D not as fun as it could be with those associations having an RPG that was basically 'hey fuckin theater homo you wanna play a goth vampire dork who monologues about the beauty of suffering? That's a whole clan we offer you and everyone around you into it is some flavor of queer dork misfit too' was kinda a whole new world. It really changed how I associated RPGs in general and opened me up to a more story focused kinda gaming.

Like I said I know they've always had issues, but going from 'a bunch of white nerds do problematic treatments of minority cultures' to 'son of a bitch they're nazis and they want nazis to buy their game' really blows.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I actually have a rule for a game setting I run that expressly involves a clash between fascism and other ideologies: You cannot play a fascist. You can play a communist, an anarchist, a staunch reactionary monarchist, but you cannot play an actual fascist. You can play a former fascist who fled into exile during a purge and changed their ideological stance, but you cannot play a fascist. You can play a cartoonishly evil amoral non-factional band of murderhobo PCs who enslave entire towns with opium and sell their children into slavery, but no, you cannot join the fascists.

This is largely because until I put that rule in place, I kept getting neckbeards trying to join the game who, of course, wanted to play the fascist, and who would then try and 'wink and nudge' me about gamergate or 'the asians' and poo poo. The alternative is to say 'sure, you can play the fascist' and then let the rest of the party murder them in their sleep, but then I have a big manbaby crying about how it's unfair and trying to doxx other players. We can't play with those themes - and it'd be interesting to do so, in some contexts - because half the audience for elfgames are, well, two steps away from actually being fascists themselves and don't get that they're the bad guys.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

So White Wolf made an official response:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

I mean... I feel like their opinions and intent... don't actually matter. If your marketing and what you're putting in the game is appealing to neo-nazis, well... It's not the thought that counts.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
"We didn't intend to make a game for nazis, we just think using imagery and words that appeal to them is a good way to make a dark world" is a powerful move.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Zereth posted:

I mean... I feel like their opinions and intent... don't actually matter. If your marketing and what you're putting in the game is appealing to neo-nazis, well... It's not the thought that counts.

Their feelings and intent don't matter but in this case they also suck. Like he's saying, 'if one in five people are Nazis, well, that means one in five of our customers are Nazis."

That's like... that's like epic levels of either stupid or dishonest. It's terrible math, to boot.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Zereth posted:

I mean... I feel like their opinions and intent... don't actually matter.

Eeeeeh careful.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Liquid Communism posted:

poo poo like this is why I will not be working on any more White Wolf-owned IPs after Geist.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
love to call someone an insane conspiracy theorist and then invite them to come and talk quietly out of the public view.

It is -real cool- that :decorum: is a thing that's spread to White Wolf's terrible game.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Zereth posted:

You could, perhaps, develop a case that neo-Nazis do not get a veto over the actions of normals, but this is not a case of one or two inadvertent parallels or some kind of cultural mismatch due to the devs being in Europe. I mean I, a dog, could do this better: "We have read this article. While we did not intend what the author describes we comprehend their perspective and have reached out to them for further and more specific discussion of their perspective." Maybe something at the end there that they will right their ship but will not have the argument on their Facebook page, but hah! Now I'm really getting unrealistic.

O well: I will have the 20th anniversary editions of Wraith, Vampire and Werewolf. They can't actually delete my old, Nazi-free (or -light) books.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Sion posted:

love to call someone an insane conspiracy theorist and then invite them to come and talk quietly out of the public view.

It is -real cool- that :decorum: is a thing that's spread to White Wolf's terrible game.

:decorum: is the first defense of people with unsupportable positions when called out on them. Argue the mechanics of debate and tone so you don't have to address the objectionable truths of your position.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I can't find it right now but there was an article I read that chronicled the way white supremacists and right-wingers had suborned a fair bit of the heavy metal scene, which is particularly European heavy. Since it was essentially a musical genre founded on the performance of transgression, and since 'racism' is one of the few boundaries perceived as very strong, it just sort of naturally followed--to be edgy, they had to break rules. Most of the rules they could break without going to jail were already pretty thoroughly broken, and they didn't want to, you know, go gay. They also didn't want to go to jail--for all their talk about murder and mayhem, these were people who took off the makeup and went to work in the morning.

Of course, this forum already understands the problem with performative racism, and how it can become genuine. Likewise with misogyny, homophobia, and so on. If you use enough nazi-adjacent imagery, the full kit starts to feel uncomfortably comfortable.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So there's also the thing with Swedracula signing off with 'blood and souls.' Gee, that sounds vaguely familiar to something else. Not that I can place it. Just like those four dice are a completely random combination that could happen by chance.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

So there's also the thing with Swedracula signing off with 'blood and souls.' Gee, that sounds vaguely familiar to something else. Not that I can place it. Just like those four dice are a completely random combination that could happen by chance.

Fuckin' really?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dawgstar posted:

...where?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

gently caress, I forgot this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9ezN0vwKhA&t=3624s

Yeah, that poo poo totally happened, and looks really loving sketchy in hindsight. :stare:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's old, sure, but I don't really feel like the benefit of the doubt anymore.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Were there auspice or tribe books written for wtf?

Also what gifts/ merits would you take to make dalu form a combat monster? One of my players has minmaxed their urshal form and hates to use any other form, so I'm doing the same for his nemesis with Dalu. I've already got favored form and armored form.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Soonmot posted:

One book for each--Tribes of the Moon and Signs of the Moon.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Soonmot posted:

Also what gifts/ merits would you take to make dalu form a combat monster? One of my players has minmaxed their urshal form and hates to use any other form, so I'm doing the same for his nemesis with Dalu. I've already got favored form and armored form.

Signs of the moon for Auspices, Tribes of the moon for Tribes. They didn't do Splatbooks like they did for oWoD.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Geist is definitely more hopeful than Mage - the Cthonic Gods have the kind of nebulous maybe-they-only-exist-when-you're-looking-at-them thing that people sometimes wrongly assume the Exarchs have, and the game's end states are based around actually making concrete changes to the order of things, where the best a Mage can hope for is defiance to the Thrones and maybe - maybe - Ascension.

(You are absolutely right about archmages being villains, by the way, and I think we do a better job in the 2e line of showing how deeply distrusting the Pentacle are of them - for good loving reason)

I tell ya, flipping between the two game lines last year when we were writing Geist was a blast.

have you considered Joining The Seers

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Soonmot posted:

The Living Weapon Merit. Facets from the Strength Gift, but also Berserker's Might from Rage, Hit and Run from Evasion is nice.

One of the big advantages of dalu is that you have hands with opposable thumbs and you can wield a weapon better than the wolf forms. So you might think about giving them a gun (perhaps a fetish one that doesn't let the target use Defense against Firearms) or some other weapon, from there you also have more ability with fighting styles and, potentially, the use of silver as a weapon. The Pack's entry on the Lodge of Garm has the Uma Suguthkuth fighting style, or a 'ritualized art of killing.' Has to be done bare handed but the lodge has special fetish weapons they use it with. The style itself is big on debuffing the target, draining Essence and regeneration, and works better against high Primal Urge opponents.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Zereth posted:

I mean, it's not like the neo-nazis are somehow the Uruk-Hai here. By and large, they're going to enjoy the same things regular people enjoy, regardless of what regular people seem to think. Hitler loved dogs! I love dogs! I'm probably hosed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

nofather posted:

The Living Weapon Merit. Facets from the Strength Gift, but also Berserker's Might from Rage, Hit and Run from Evasion is nice.

One of the big advantages of dalu is that you have hands with opposable thumbs and you can wield a weapon better than the wolf forms. So you might think about giving them a gun (perhaps a fetish one that doesn't let the target use Defense against Firearms) or some other weapon, from there you also have more ability with fighting styles and, potentially, the use of silver as a weapon. The Pack's entry on the Lodge of Garm has the Uma Suguthkuth fighting style, or a 'ritualized art of killing.' Has to be done bare handed but the lodge has special fetish weapons they use it with. The style itself is big on debuffing the target, draining Essence and regeneration, and works better against high Primal Urge opponents.

You already can't use Defense on Firearms attacks without a thing saying you can.