Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Lowtax should sell grenade bath bombs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lowtax should sell grenade bath bombs

Or just grenades and bombs. Monetize TFR.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

or just regular bath products

That Works
Jul 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

punchymcpunch posted:

or just regular bath products

I don't think there's much of an overlap with the goon demographic there.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

punchymcpunch posted:

if i was buyin a bath bomb you better believe id get the grenade shaped one

thats rad

:same:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

That Works posted:

Or just grenades and bombs. Monetize TFR.

He's had enough trouble with the Secret Service, no need to add the ATF to that.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

sassassin posted:

It's the "feminine" versions that are doing it wrong. Who doesn't want to buy the strongest and most heroic products available?

nothing says strong and heroic like DUDE WIPES

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
MAN MOISTENERS

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Barry Bluejeans posted:

nothing says strong and heroic like DUDE WIPES

What gets dirtier than a dude*? I want a wipe that will handle any task it might face.

* Babies, obviously, but you're not going to be able to use the best chemicals on baby products.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
They already have man wipes. It's called 40 grit.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

bike tory posted:

I will never not find marketing to fragile masculinity funny

Bonus:

When you're cleaning up the mess from your bronut after a brojob do you use Dude Wipes™ or Kleenex Mansize™?

This is the only acceptable song for the commercials for these products: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=851BqHMCaeM

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

jobson groeth posted:

They already have man wipes. It's called 40 grit.

I wipe myself by going against the grain of the skin on a live shaaaaaaaaaark

I have to replace my toilet every time I go because I sand it down to the ground with my COARSE rear end HAIR

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 13:11 on Jul 9, 2018

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I wipe myself by going against the grain of the skin on a live shaaaaaaaaaark

what grain? sharks are smooth

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/PREMIUMPONCHO/status/1016120788628492288

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Blind Sally posted:

what grain? sharks are smooth

Ya it'd silky smooth like a wet wipe

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
ocean-scented wet wipes

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
how can they be "wet" wipes when shark skin is so smooth it's hydrophobic

Verimus
Oct 1, 2009
I know this is the meme thread and all, and the shark comic was very good, and I think he just really dunked on all those Twitter people so well, but do we have to rattle off the same goof every dang time? The image of a man scouring his butthole with shark skin was good enough, can't we let it stand on it's own, blood trickling gently down his inner thigh?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/headfallsoff/status/1016094871998824449

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Verimus posted:

I know this is the meme thread and all, and the shark comic was very good, and I think he just really dunked on all those Twitter people so well, but do we have to rattle off the same goof every dang time? The image of a man scouring his butthole with shark skin was good enough, can't we let it stand on it's own, blood trickling gently down his inner thigh?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Verimus posted:

Uh no, because why would that happen unless he wasn't using Great White Ultra Smooth Bathroom Tissue

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Ironically with these gendered products, it's almost always the pink one that costs more.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Verimus posted:

If he wanted to scour his skin he should use something rough like a stingray

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I have to replace my toilet every time I go because I sand it down to the ground with my COARSE rear end HAIR
Looks like you need to buy a MAN TOILET. Made from the same steel used by Harley Davidson, with a seat carved from Jack Daniels barrels, and the flush chain belonged to Mr. T!

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Choco1980 posted:

Ironically with these gendered products, it's almost always the pink one that costs more.

Yep. I'd imagine a big reason for it is that women do the vast majority of all consumer purchasing, and the gendering is even more obvious in areas that women account for like 80-90% of all spending like phamaceuticals/hygiene products :capitalism:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

Looks like you need to buy a MAN TOILET. Made from the same steel used by Harley Davidson, with a seat carved from Jack Daniels barrels!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

why would you have this

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

why would you have this

So Captain Kangaroo would come to your house for a ballwashing, dude, it's like the whole point of the ad

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Choco1980 posted:

I've seen Dental Floss For Women side by side with normal Dental Floss. I got one of each and literally the only difference was that the packaging of the first was pink and it was twenty cents more expensive.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

My Lovely Horse posted:

why would you have this

that's the price to pay to keep your foreskin, you have to wash your junk thrice per day or it starts to rot

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Samuringa posted:

I've seen Dental Floss For Women side by side with normal Dental Floss. I got one of each and literally the only difference was that the packaging of the first was pink and it was twenty cents more expensive.

This is straight up an Andy Rooney routine

I bought a box of salt for $1.49. What would the reduced salt version cost? $1.69?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Samuringa posted:

Oddly, I find pink disposable razors often are on special offer and are cheaper than the blue ones.

I figure that if you are using a razor to shave a beard and/or balls, your masculinity isn't really in question.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

spog posted:

I figure that if you are using a razor to shave a beard and/or balls, your masculinity isn't really in question.

I think you'll find it's actually quite the opposite if you're clumsy.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/N2fUbcc.mp4

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

that's actually the Tree That Owns Itself II

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_That_Owns_Itself

quote:

The Tree That Owns Itself is a white oak tree that has, according to legend, legal ownership of itself and of all land within eight feet (2.4 m) of its base. The tree, also called the Jackson Oak, is located at the corner of South Finley and Dearing Streets in Athens, Georgia, United States. The original tree, thought to have started life between the mid-16th and late 18th century, fell in 1942, but a new tree was grown from one of its acorns, and planted in the same location. The current tree is sometimes referred to as the Son of The Tree That Owns Itself. Both trees have appeared in numerous national publications, and the site is a local landmark.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
That tree must have really lovely self-esteem

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bees on Wheat posted:

That tree must have really lovely self-esteem

It's probably alt-right.

Pudding Space
Mar 19, 2014

Jeza posted:

Yep. I'd imagine a big reason for it is that women do the vast majority of all consumer purchasing, and the gendering is even more obvious in areas that women account for like 80-90% of all spending like phamaceuticals/hygiene products :capitalism:

The pink version is something special for a strong, independent goddess who dances in public fountains. With its revolutionary bullshit oxide anti-spalling agent, it's going to cost a little more. The man version will replace the graphic with that of a fist smashing some ice; and replace the perfume with a factory run-off that helps you roar at obstacles.

Apparently, adults in a space-faring civilization can't be expected to see through these ingenious deceptions.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I own myself daily but nobody considers me a local landmark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Pudding Space posted:

The pink version is something special for a strong, independent goddess who dances in public fountains. With its revolutionary bullshit oxide anti-spalling agent, it's going to cost a little more. The man version will replace the graphic with that of a fist smashing some ice; and replace the perfume with a factory run-off that helps you roar at obstacles.

Apparently, adults in a space-faring civilization can't be expected to see through these ingenious deceptions.

As with almost all advertising, the grand irony is that people correctly consider themselves too smart to fall for the face-value deception i.e. lol I'd never buy this product after watching this lovely advert on TV! Who falls for this stuff?? but fail to see that that's rarely the intended purpose. Nearly all purchasing is not stringently/logically considered and is based off extremely quickfire decisions, usually based on brand recognition.

For gendered marketing, A) a lot of the products are cloistered in specific gendered sections of a shop, so you aren't shopping around, and B) the gendered part of the marketing is just there to take advantage of the split second where your brain just assumes that because it targets your identity, it must be in some way preferable for you rather than stopping to logically assess each product one by one to find out whether that's true.

This isn't just true of gendered marketing, but even targeted socioeconomic marketing and so on, and I guarantee every single person in this thread has fallen for it dozens of times because it's unrealistic to live your life not doing so.

Now I need to go and find a funny picture.