Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Cocoa Crispies posted:

lol that form looks exactly like a google spreadsheet form

~*~material design~*~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
GCP was my choice for lab poo poo since it does appear to be the cheapest managed k8s offering so far and has a drat good web UI (Azure's UI is loving lol and AWS apparently wants to charge $150/mo for the master that GCP provides for free).

i don't really care if this poo poo goes down due to something on google's end being dumb since worst case i have to deal with running test containers locally for a bit.

on the other hand lol at the email i received saying that they'd started contracting with accenture for support. i can only assume they'd do a bang up job if i ever needed it.

on the other other hand i once interviewed for the GCP in-house support team, as i figured i might as well work in a cushy ballpit office if imma deal with customer poo poo as a career, and holy hell i have never had an interview where the support engineer's seething rage due to their position's bullshit stream seeped into the interview so clearly.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
the problem is not the support or lack thereof. the problem is their attitude of shoot first ask questions later.

not even cisco will terminate your service for payment delays or contract issues, and they loving love money.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

google social media platforms progressing as expected

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

quote:

Chrome Duplex being renamed 'Duet' to avoid confusion with Google Duplex phone-call AI

hm k

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
And that's why Microsoft is cool again

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
google duplex: further dehumanizing call centers is our ultimate goal

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

tbf if google can make it so that no one ever has to work in a call center again that will be a mitzvah

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yes eventually it will just be a bunch of google ais talking to each other; the worlds most hilarious protocol

“This is the real end goal of AI, to create an API with all the social nuances, misinterpretability, and opaqueness of human communication”

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Google duplex instance #11134687: “Are you upset?”
Google duplex instance #23654754: “No!”

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

tbf if google can make it so that no one ever has to work in a call center again that will be a mitzvah

...except for all the people who scratch out a living in call centers, yeah

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

They’ just be virtual assistants now

You know, all those virtual assistants companies were raving about that were people in developing nations making appointments for your dog groomer for you, because we just can’t dehumanize enough anymore

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

:rolleyes:

so how bout those coal mining jobs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

:rolleyes:

so how bout those coal mining jobs

yeah, whole lotta people getting call center lung

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lancemantis posted:

They’ just be virtual assistants now

You know, all those virtual assistants companies were raving about that were people in developing nations making appointments for your dog groomer for you, because we just can’t dehumanize enough anymore

that's the whole purpose of duplex though

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

lancemantis posted:

Google duplex instance #11134687: “Are you upset?”
Google duplex instance #23654754: “No!”

Google duplex instance #11134687: “I want to talk to your higher up. This service is awful.”
Google duplex instance #23654754: “Okay.”
Google duplex instance #23654753: “Hello!”

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

reservations have a reservation to me to me to me to me to me to me to me

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-7mQhSZRgM

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sereri posted:

reservations have a reservation to me to me to me to me to me to me to me

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I don't know what do you want to do
I don't know what you want to do what do you want to do
I don't know what you want to want to do what do you want to do
I don't know what you want you want to want to do you do want to do what do you want to do

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Athletic Footjob posted:

Google duplex instance #11134687: “I want to talk to your higher up. This service is awful.”
Google duplex instance #23654754: “Okay.”
Google duplex instance #23654754: “Hello!”

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Pretty good, actually. Android apps run decently well if you don't do a lot of things at once but I bought it to read books which isn't too taxing. I don't game so I can't comment on that.

ChromeOS as a tablet OS sure is incomplete but I knew that going in. Chrome is especially frustrating as there's no way to right click so the experience is far from ideal. It also lacks autobrightness so that's a little annoying. It has a stylus included and the stylus has some tricks but nothing you'd want, like text selection, so it feel superfluous.

One thing I will say is that I can't imagine why it exists. Acer claims it's for the education market but for that it's strictly a content consumption device. You can run Sheets and Docs but why would ever want to when inputting data is near impossible? You can browse the web but copypasting is also near impossible (no keyboard or right click) so again, what's the point?

It's decent as an Android tablet but let's be real, if there was a Pixel tablet running Android it'd do the same things just differently (but without uBlock). Overall it's what I wanted but I like ChromeOS and I only wanted a really simple machine. Even something as basic as a push notification system is missing so I'm puzzled as to what educational purpose it could possibly serve. To be fair, I don't really see much point in tablets either except to play the few good tablet games on a bigger screen and to read books and it does those things well, but it's definitely a third device behind a phone and a laptop and I can't see a school finding a niche for that.
costs the same as a 2018 ipad

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

It has a stylus included and the stylus has some tricks but nothing you'd want, like text selection

how in the gently caress?

i know, chrome'os, but how do you not just have a standard cursor text selection api?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i know, chrome'os, but how do you not just have a standard cursor text selection api?

gotta check off that "has a stylus" checkbox who cares if it does anything

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

don't overthink this

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Endless Mike posted:

costs the same as a 2018 ipad

lol

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

as someone in that position now, i would welcome it. they’re god awful and make you feel inhuman

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

PenguinKnight posted:

as someone in that position now, i would welcome it. they’re god awful and make you feel inhuman

the last one I was in wasn’t even sales but people would regularly leave mid day in tears never to return. I was good at it but it wasn’t something I could do sober

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

on the other hand lol at the email i received saying that they'd started contracting with accenture for support. i can only assume they'd do a bang up job if i ever needed it.

lol google has no idea how to run a business that involves human interaction.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

google’s goal is to eliminate all human interaction

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hobbesmaster posted:

google’s goal is to eliminate all human interaction

google put the cart before the horse

they never offered customer service, and if you don't like it, that's your problem

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
samsung laff factory ramps up as samsung phone factory cuts output 40%

wsj posted:

Sales of the company’s latest flagship device, the Galaxy S9, have been weak, as consumers keep their phones longer and remain unimpressed with the newest options.

Lee Seung-woo, a Seoul-based analyst at Eugene Investment and Securities, expects Samsung will ship about 31 million Galaxy S9 devices in 2018. That would mark a dramatic decline from just two years ago, when the Galaxy S7 became Samsung’s best-selling phone ever, with roughly 50 million shipments.
via gruber

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

oh so now gruber suddenly puts faith in an analyst's predictions

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

the s6 and s7 were fine in 2016 and they're fine now

don't replace working equipment

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

flakeloaf posted:

but it's an Android

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
People actually reading Gruber is the most baffling thing to me.

Also, analysts never know anything and shouldn't be listened to. They're always either dead wrong or stating the obvious.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

flakeloaf posted:

lol. "working"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the s6 is on android 7.0 with the june 2017 security patch

which, admittedly, is not bad for a 2015 android phone