Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

punk rebel ecks posted:

While on one hand I find this ridiculous, in a way I sorta agree. I feel that after Source Engine games (Half-Life 2, CounterStrike: Source, Team Fortress 2), graphical upgrades seem to "wow me" less and less. Similar to 2D games after the CPS2 (Street Fighter Alpha, Vampire Savior). I mean yeah, improvements are definitely noticeable, but I'm can be content with the old technology, and newer and newer stuff seems to "Wow!" me less. There have been select few games this generation that I look at and think to myself "Yeah this is definitely a huge leap graphically from PS3 titles." Well at least from the console ports I played on my PC. There's a reason why Nintendo has found success when they decided to focus on other aspects of hardware other than graphics.

veni veni veni posted:

Well, we don't need video games. If his post was supposed to be some obtuse way of saying "3D games started to look pretty good around the Xbox era" sure. Railing against more modern tech existing just for the hell of it is stupid as gently caress

basically these, yeah. we really started to hit the wall of limited returns around the PS3 era. However, it is actually the smart as gently caress and correct opinion that we shouldn't churn through more natural resources just to make minor improvements on the current generation of graphics, and you're all welcome for my efforts to help us reach that conclusion

olives black fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Wireless controllers are nothing but trouble.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
i kind of have the opinion that hardware improvements are used for stupid poo poo like a photorealistic kevin spacey in that one call of dookie

i want a rome total war with like 50,000 realistically simulated individual units per side and an ai thats programmed so complex that it uses like 90% of one core constantly or something so its actually challenging and not retarded or some poo poo

or like a gta 5 with like gta3 three graphics but the you can go inside each and every building

or battlefield 2 but the max players on a server is like 1024 so you could actually get like a fuckin realistic insane world war battle and poo poo

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
your brain couldn't appreciate that. 1024 players but you wouldn't be able to interact with more than a dozen or so at time. saying there's 50,000 soliders really means nothing on the large scale and wouldn't be unique on the small scale. its like no mans sky saying there's more planets than time to explore them. just enjoy games instead of arbitrary numbers

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

temple posted:

your brain couldn't appreciate that. 1024 players but you wouldn't be able to interact with more than a dozen or so at time. saying there's 50,000 soliders really means nothing on the large scale and wouldn't be unique on the small scale.

what the gently caress are you babbling about guy who has apparently never played planetside 1 or 2?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

a bone to pick posted:

Wireless controllers are nothing but trouble.

Hard disagree

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

TheScott2K posted:

Hard disagree

gently caress batteries man

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

a bone to pick posted:

what the gently caress are you babbling about guy who has apparently never played planetside 1 or 2?

I did and it wasn't all that mindblowing.

The problem with AIs hasn't ever really been hardware but actually building algorithms that can actually play a game well.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

The wireless controller hasn't ever been as good as the Wavebird

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

A. Beaverhausen posted:

gently caress batteries man

gently caress a wire going across my living room more

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Saying we didn't need more powerful hardware is saying that we didn't need games that required more powerful hardware. So sure, you can say that, but that's not how the games industry works. The games industry looks at what improvements can be made, and what options become available with new technology. The original Xbox used parallel ATA for the hard drive, and SATA alone reduces load times significantly. Breath of the Wild was made possible by new hardware technology, as Nintendo wanted to make an open world game before and we got Wind Waker, which had tons of boring open water because they could not put in tailor made landscapes across that entire world. New technology satisfies needs required for more ambitious projects, and maybe you think those projects aren't worth pursuing, but even those older games are made better by using new hardware. Or do you think loading screens provide better gameplay?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

jimmyjams posted:

i kind of have the opinion that hardware improvements are used for stupid poo poo like a photorealistic kevin spacey in that one call of dookie

i want a rome total war with like 50,000 realistically simulated individual units per side and an ai thats programmed so complex that it uses like 90% of one core constantly or something so its actually challenging and not retarded or some poo poo

or like a gta 5 with like gta3 three graphics but the you can go inside each and every building

or battlefield 2 but the max players on a server is like 1024 so you could actually get like a fuckin realistic insane world war battle and poo poo

I don't disagree, and real depth is way preferable to progressively nicer licks of paint, but the reality is that it's just way easier to do the latter than the former. Doing all those things takes insane amounts of effort right now, but eventually we'll probably be able to use sweet, sweet algorithms and "AI" to procedurally generate the insides of buildings without having interns slave away at designing them one by one.

And I'm no computer wizard but I imagine 50,000 individual units with their own actions would just melt anything but a supercomputer running at like 2fps. It's a pretty big hardware limitation, one we're not super close to surmounting so that it's available commercially.

The only way games have explorative depth rn is because megabucks have funded like tens of thousands of manhours into doing it by hand.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

signalnoise posted:

Saying we didn't need more powerful hardware is saying that we didn't need games that required more powerful hardware. So sure, you can say that, but that's not how the games industry works. The games industry looks at what improvements can be made, and what options become available with new technology. The original Xbox used parallel ATA for the hard drive, and SATA alone reduces load times significantly. Breath of the Wild was made possible by new hardware technology, as Nintendo wanted to make an open world game before and we got Wind Waker, which had tons of boring open water because they could not put in tailor made landscapes across that entire world. New technology satisfies needs required for more ambitious projects, and maybe you think those projects aren't worth pursuing, but even those older games are made better by using new hardware. Or do you think loading screens provide better gameplay?

what I think is that we should nationalize all of the video game companies, build the next round of PS4s to last 50 goddamn years and legally require game devs to tailor their designs around those "limitations." we should be DONE making new game machines.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

signalnoise posted:

Or do you think loading screens provide better gameplay?

Oh yeah there's so few loading screens nowadays

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Panzeh posted:

I did and it wasn't all that mindblowing.

Regardless, the guy was making the claim your brain can't process fighting more than 20 people and having 1024 players in a server wouldn't affect the game. There's a huge difference between playing a Battlefield 1 map or CoD blops and having a 100-member group raid a base in Planetside 2 with 100 people defending it.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
To be fair I was a big fan of both Planetside 1 and 2 and most of the time the "100+" player fights weren't more epic than say, big servers in Battlefield 1 or whatever. At any given time you usually had 5-25 people visible on screen. Very rarely did you see more...Even if there were more around the corner.

Whenever you actually did get like 300 players in an area in Planetside 2 the game just started lagging anyway or turning half of the players invisible to cope with the load

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Actually being sieged in planetside felt way more badass and real than any lame rear end battlefield fight becauae even if you only saw a few guys at a time, they were pouring into the forward base or whatever and either your team was holding off this endless stream of gently caress as gunfire and explosions erupted around you or you were slowly loving losing and the pace of battle was quite a bit more intense and violent than battlefield games where you can spend a decent amount of time jerking off in a vehicle before you have any action

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

2house2fly posted:

Oh yeah there's so few loading screens nowadays

On average yes, loading times have come down a lot if you start at the first CD-based games without hard drives and follow through the generations to today. I'm pretty pleased with being able to go around a massive overworld without having to pause to load a different chunk of the map because I walked over an arbitrary border.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Arkham Knight is really good (though I read a review that said the reveal of the titular guy is ho hum so I looked it up and lolyep it's exactly who I thought it was)

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
If you think we don't need more powerful consoles, just look at how pitiful draw distance is in most games and how much better the games would look if they had better draw distance. (Although I'm guessing next gen consoles games won't improve draw distances and will look very similar to current gen except they'll be 4k resolution.)

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I never mean to refer that we should never have had more powerful consoles FWIW.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

sebmojo posted:

Arkham Knight is really good (though I read a review that said the reveal of the titular guy is ho hum so I looked it up and lolyep it's exactly who I thought it was)

eh, its probably the worst of the series

a lot of the really good arkham stuff was minimal, just so they could justify shoehorning a tank into the game

like the tank was a cool idea but it just keeps going on and then theres forced stealth segments WHILE DRIVING A loving TANK

also the entire release was a gigantic shitshow because of that reveal

they legitimately did not do any sort of competent qa on the pc version pre-release because they wanted to minimize the amount of people who knew the shocking true identity of the arkham knight (which had been guessed approximately 15 seconds into the original announce trailers by hoards of sweaty comic book ners)

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Nier or crusader kings?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

exploded mummy posted:

eh, its probably the worst of the series

a lot of the really good arkham stuff was minimal, just so they could justify shoehorning a tank into the game

like the tank was a cool idea but it just keeps going on and then theres forced stealth segments WHILE DRIVING A loving TANK

also the entire release was a gigantic shitshow because of that reveal

they legitimately did not do any sort of competent qa on the pc version pre-release because they wanted to minimize the amount of people who knew the shocking true identity of the arkham knight (which had been guessed approximately 15 seconds into the original announce trailers by hoards of sweaty comic book ners)

I'm a few hours in, the tank stuff is good but I can see their deathless design boner for it getting a little old.

It's gorgeous now they've fixed the frame rate, but if that's why they didn't do enough qa then lol, it's super obvious/retarded and I don't even read comics

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Jeza posted:

I don't disagree, and real depth is way preferable to progressively nicer licks of paint, but the reality is that it's just way easier to do the latter than the former. Doing all those things takes insane amounts of effort right now, but eventually we'll probably be able to use sweet, sweet algorithms and "AI" to procedurally generate the insides of buildings without having interns slave away at designing them one by one.

And I'm no computer wizard but I imagine 50,000 individual units with their own actions would just melt anything but a supercomputer running at like 2fps. It's a pretty big hardware limitation, one we're not super close to surmounting so that it's available commercially.

The only way games have explorative depth rn is because megabucks have funded like tens of thousands of manhours into doing it by hand.

The 50000 soldier thing is also really silly because in an actual battle theres still only a couple dozen people actually making decisions and the rest are meat to shove spears into the enemy and keep the phalanx line held. The only decision they make is to continue to fight or to break ranks and flee and thats easily modeled with a morale meter

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Oscar Wild posted:

Nier or crusader kings?

Think of it as an over-arching generalized statement.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Glad to see they're putting warnings the start of Bloodborne 2

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

I never mean to refer that we should never have had more powerful consoles FWIW.

All the talk recently about the Playstation 5 and Xbox Whatever has me wondering if we really need a generation leap yet. I know it'll still be a couple years before they release but if games like Ghost of Tsushima and The Last of Us 2 are coming out on current consoles I'm just not sure we're "ready" to actually make use of a new generation of hardware. There's still not really a compelling reason to get a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X if you don't have a 4k TV, and those don't exactly have a huge market share yet.

That's not to say there's nothing that could be done with more powerful hardware. I'm picturing a game with graphics like Horizon Zero Dawn but even bigger, more wide-open areas with massive draw distances. But given the amount of time and money it takes to make the games we have now, it just doesn't seem like it could possibly be practical yet.

Maybe things are going to change a lot in the next two years, I dunno. But if I had to guess right now, I'd bet on there being a ton of cross-generation games for at least two years after the next console generation releases because it'll take a good, long while for it to really be worth buying a new generation of consoles.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm bugged by the fact that this gen hasn't yielded a new genre of game that wasn't feasible on last-gen hardware. It makes me not give a gently caress about a new generation of consoles for the time being.

"The games you're playing now, but prettier" just doesn't appeal. Games look pretty good on this circa-2013 hardware.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I'd say play on pc but bitcoin ruined graphics card prices

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I think games are worse these days, because I'm a jaded old fart now instead of a wide eyed teen and whenever I see something new I immediately just work out what it is that it's a pastiche of that I've already seen, rather than enjoying it for what it is.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I know a lot of dudes bitcoining right now and every-time they complain about price-drops in our group discord I get a raging boner.

gently caress bitcoin.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

TheScott2K posted:

I'm bugged by the fact that this gen hasn't yielded a new genre of game that wasn't feasible on last-gen hardware. It makes me not give a gently caress about a new generation of consoles for the time being.

"The games you're playing now, but prettier" just doesn't appeal. Games look pretty good on this circa-2013 hardware.

What new genre are you looking for?

VR has also changed the way I play lots of games. Stuff like RE7, Rez, Wipeout and Bridge Crew are just infinitely better in VR, and arguably has produced a new genre of game in stuff like Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes and a couple of the games that come free with Playroom VR, where one person is inside the game and relies on other people to provide information using the image on the TV/monitor.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Quote-Unquote posted:

What new genre are you looking for?

VR has also changed the way I play lots of games. Stuff like RE7, Rez, Wipeout and Bridge Crew are just infinitely better in VR, and arguably has produced a new genre of game in stuff like Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes and a couple of the games that come free with Playroom VR, where one person is inside the game and relies on other people to provide information using the image on the TV/monitor.

I don't know what new genre I want. I'm not a game developer. I didn't know I wanted a historical-period free roamer with a city full of dense crowds of NPCs until Assassin's Creed came out at the beginning of last gen. This round yielded new "types" of games that were really just business models. Overwatch would work fine on 360-era hardware. Destiny actually did!

VR is neat but it's going to be niche forever and is totally impractical for family-havers day-to-day.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

A. Beaverhausen posted:

We've entered a weird time when prebuilt PCs and even gaming laptops are a better deal than building a PC.

But it's also true that console gaming is probably just a better deal right now. Most of the games you can only play on PC either don't require super great hardware to run, are MMORPGs, or are niche space sim games. I could also see an argument for going all-in on PC gaming if you're really into FPS games so you can use mouse and keyboard without a peripheral. Otherwise, console gaming is a much better deal. Unless you're willing to pay several times more than you would for a capable console specifically to get 60 fps on multiplatform games, I guess?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Twelve Batmans posted:

I know a lot of dudes bitcoining right now and every-time they complain about price-drops in our group discord I get a raging boner.

gently caress bitcoin.

:yeah:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Mandalore and the Mandalorians were the worst part of SWTOR

Heh why don't we make a PLANET full of Boba Fetts! - sw nerds

Sound Insect
May 27, 2010

wait so are people really mining bitcoins with GPUs or are we just using bitcoin as a catchall for any cryptocurrency? I thought it's been years since the difficulty made gpu mining bitcoins pretty much a guaranteed loss? I'm not discounting the possibility that people are just loving nuts. There are still people who mine bitcoin with farms of USB miners, which will probably never again be capable of mining a single bitcoin even if run nonstop over a cosmological time scale, and they explain it's because "I don't care that I lose money, I think it's fun :downs:."

poo poo makes me wanna spit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sound Insect posted:

wait so are people really mining bitcoins with GPUs or are we just using bitcoin as a catchall for any cryptocurrency? I thought it's been years since the difficulty made gpu mining bitcoins pretty much a guaranteed loss? I'm not discounting the possibility that people are just loving nuts. There are still people who mine bitcoin with farms of USB miners, which will probably never again be capable of mining a single bitcoin even if run nonstop over a cosmological time scale, and they explain it's because "I don't care that I lose money, I think it's fun :downs:."

poo poo makes me wanna spit

I think it's just a catch-all for any cryptocurrency in this context. Cryptocurrency mining with GPUs is apparently still a big enough deal that it's driving GPU prices (and RAM prices, annoyingly) much higher than they should be.

This is part of the reason why buying prebuilt is a better deal for once, because companies like Dell can get a better price bulk-buying GPUs, and even adding in the cost of labor, marketing, and all the other mark-ups, it's still probably more cost effective to buy a prebuilt PC in 2018.