Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
On long distance international flights you get unlimited amount of instant noodles and snacks and ice cream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Actually speaking of luggage where is a good place in Tokyo to buy a cheap checked baggage size piece of luggage that only has to survive one trip back over the Pacific?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Any of the camera and electronic stores because mainland tour group tourists buy empty suit cases to fill poo poo up and take home.

If you aren’t packing in booze or fragile glass, I would just an empty duffel bag

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
As long as you don’t mind lugging it a cardboard box works well enough

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Give me high end ryokan recommendations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

How far are you planning to go, Stringy?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

caberham posted:

Any of the camera and electronic stores because mainland tour group tourists buy empty suit cases to fill poo poo up and take home.

If you aren’t packing in booze or fragile glass, I would just an empty duffel bag

Gundam runners, so I'll probably go for rigid.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If it’s gundam then just snail mail that stuff from the post office and buy more

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

Stringent posted:

The one I picked was Hakone Ginyu in, obviously, Hakone. It's a little outside of the main cluster of onsen and ryokan thar are near lake Ashi, but I don't think you're really expected to leave the grounds once you check in...

My top criteria were that it would have a nice, outdoor private onsen, a decent view, and good food. The 'Tsuki' room fit the bill. The rates for two people were 95,340jpy per night.

A lot of the room pictures on tripadvisor look like they were taken from inside the submitter's own rear end, but I found a few good ones.

Bonus pic of the spa/public onsen that you can book privately at night.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
100k?

gently caress I spent 55k on a small room in a historically nice old family legacy ryokan in Kyoto and I felt bad

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I paid 90k for a weekend stay (solo) at Wakamatsu ryokan up in Hakodate. Room with ocean view, when everything in the room was silent there was nothing but the sound of the waves against the beach, very soothing. The price included dinner, every evening a full seven course menu with lots of local specialties. I won't do it again solo, but I will definitely recommend anyone experience this.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Call me biased but I think Hakodate and other non major city spots of Tokyo and Osaka bring more value to a 90k onsen stay. My Kyoto small one also included breakfast and dinner.

But that’s the usual spiel with ryokan right?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Stringent posted:

Further out ones tend to be better. These are in the 20k-25k per person range, but had better service that beat 30k places.

Yamamizuki in Kurokawa
Mukaitaki in Aizu Wakamatsu
Tsuta in Aomori
Sekiya in Shibu, Nagano

peanut might have some good recs.

90k just isnt worth it.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Richard M Nixon posted:

The one I picked was Hakone Ginyu in, obviously, Hakone. It's a little outside of the main cluster of onsen and ryokan thar are near lake Ashi, but I don't think you're really expected to leave the grounds once you check in...

My top criteria were that it would have a nice, outdoor private onsen, a decent view, and good food. The 'Tsuki' room fit the bill. The rates for two people were 95,340jpy per night.

A lot of the room pictures on tripadvisor look like they were taken from inside the submitter's own rear end, but I found a few good ones.

quote:

I've been using this great ryokan every year and it's one of my favorites in Hakone. The reason I rate it this low this time is due to my latest experience with them.

This happened during my stay on November 25-26th weekend this year (2017).

In the middle of the night, I had to kill at least 20-25 bed bugs (see attached photo).

I informed the staff the next morning and they sincerely apologized like any Japanese hotel would, but it sure didn't feel too good.

I have asked them to investigate what kind of bug it was as I was worried about the family but they never responded until I reached out to then again.

Good to know a 1000$ per person place still suffers from kamemushi

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

kuddles posted:

One last question I have for my upcoming Japan trip, guys.

I hired a group of 6 Japanese businessmen to follow me around. 1 to translate signs, 1 to carry my backpack, 1 to carry any figurines I buy, 1 to keep me supplied with water and sushi, and 2 to carry me around so I don't get lost. But I have no clue how much I should be tipping them?

Did you also hire World Order to robot walk in a spearhead formation before you, just to get other shoppers to make way?

caberham posted:

but deep down my heart is in Tokyo.

I thought you were a tsundere for Osaka? :raise:

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Richard M Nixon posted:

Running shoes, mountain climbing boots
Unless you are doing real mountaineering you should just get trail runners... But I guess extra stuff doesn't matter when you have servants to carry it all.

In contrast I have a 10 week trip to Japan coming up this Sunday so far I only have the following planned:
-Fly into NRT
-Put together our bikes and ditch the boxes at the airport (would it be considered a dick move to leave a bunch of cardboard folded up next to a trash bin at the airport?)
-spend a couple nights in Narita
-spend another 5-6 nights in Tokyo
-ride bikes and somehow end up in Sapporo by mid September.

I am definitely interested in any ryokan onsen in between Tokyo and Sapporo that are (relatively ) reasonably priced that I can make reservations for just a couple days ahead of time. What would happen if I just dropped in? :v:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Go to Nikko on a weekday, you'll be ok.
Takaragawa is full of onsens and rafting n stuff.
I translated this page it looks nice. Please assume any garbage English was added in later lol
http://www.ho-shi.co.jp/en/ (Ishikawa, not Gunma)

I don't have many onsen/ryokan recs because we always just go to the same place out on Shimanami Kaido (Oshima, Imabari).

Nagoma was more chill and authentic Seto Inland Sea food, small but nice bath. Good for kids and good price. Newer building with very comfortable futons. We go here at least once a year. <3 <3

Sennenmatsu is ~famous~ and the ocean view bath house was gorgeous. Private beach. The food was high effort bubble era menu like crab and uni. No elevator to the rooms. I think we're just not the target demographic.

peanut fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 8, 2018

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
My other onsen stay was in Shikoku called kotohira kadan

Check out this hotel I booked on Hotels.com https://www.hotels.com/dl/hotel/details.html?hotelId=456823

For 40k for 2 persons. I get my own individual villa/house - and also a slot for private bath overlooking the whole town. It was one of the nicest rooms i stayed. Breakfast and dinner included. But breakfast wasn’t in room like the one in Kyoto.

I think nice historical ryokans are everywhere, just read up on the description and you should be fine.

Stayed one in Hokkaido near the shikotsu lake by the airport, it was 40k for average room.

Man that 100k place better be worth it, thats like fancy ones in Kyoto that serve foreign dignitaries

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

caberham posted:

For 40k for 2 persons. I get my own individual villa/house - and also a slot for private bath overlooking the whole town. It was one of the nicest rooms i stayed. Breakfast and dinner included. But breakfast wasn’t in room like the one in Kyoto.

In room breakfasts and dinners are actually sort of bad from a food standpoint. They're popular for families, but it's very difficult to guarantee quality and timing due to the logistics of it (and the fact that it's hard for staff to spy on you). It also kinda smells. I don't actually like in-room food personally but a lot of folks like it.

Historical ryokans are indeed everywhere but there's a lot of value in trying to find some of the best ones. In really good places the staff just feel way more happy/inviting/personable, and a lot of care and attention is there toward folks staying there.

peanut posted:

Nagoma was more chill and authentic Seto Inland Sea food, small but nice bath. Good for kids and good price. Newer building with very comfortable futons. We go here at least once a year. <3 <3

I stopped by here last fall and it was really good. Super chill and amazing Seto food, with every dish basically being seafood of some kind. Maybe next time I'm in Chuugoku/near Hiroshima I'll stop by again. Dat loving ise ebi and fried tako.

I love my high quality ryokans, but minshuku are honestly the best cost performance in terms of places to stay. I've never had a bad meal at a minshuku before, because all decent minshuku sort of rely on their host to cook really well, or they would go out of business. Also really good service at minshuku (less than ryokans amenity-wise, but way more personal). Usually on my 2 week trips I'll usually stay at like 4-5 ryokans and like 4-5 minshuku cause it's fun.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

caberham posted:

My other onsen stay was in Shikoku called kotohira kadan

Kotohira’s a lovely spot. Really nice and quiet when I was there too. I didn’t see any other foreign tourists.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Had the misfortune of going to Oshino Hakkai today, and holy poo poo everything around Fuji is loving awful.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
So my brother in law is involved with a motor racing team. He’s invited me to join him and spectate and hang out in race track and all.

The race will be held in the town Motegi near Utsunomiya in tochigi. We will be traveling in a team of at least 8.

Seems like I can get there from utsunomiya jr by shuttle bus but I’m not exactly sure how to get utsonomiya. There’s a bullet train but it seems a little pricey for me. There’s also a commuter train from Ueno but that means going to ueno from the airport.

Just want to confirm with you guys, seems like renting a car is the way to go. I get to drive to Nikko and drive back to tokyo

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Utsunomiya is a huge hub station, you don't even need shinkansen. A pamphlet told me IT'S TOBU FOR NIKKO ... and renting a car just sounds like hell (and not cheaper or faster.)

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Right but it’s the town of motegi, which is 45 min away by car. Decisions decisions :(

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
When we went to nikko we went as far as the shinkanen would go then rented a car.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
The one way toll to utsunomiya with an ETC discount is about 4000. The one way shinkansen ticket to utsunomiya is about 4800 per person, and motegi will add another 800-900 yen. So rental car from Tokyo is considerable at 2-3 people, and starts to make sense at 4. Keep in mind the Shinkansen is probably faster than the long drive.

Renting a car in Tokyo isn't too bad and I've done it a couple of times before, as long as you aren't staying in Tokyo.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i know that suzuka circuit is accessible by train; however, it's also out in the middle of nowhere (read: mie-ken) and is a more of a "premier"/world class circuit than twin ring motegi. even in the states you have to drive out to the middle of unincorporated nowhere for 99% of the road race tracks.

have fun at motegi, it looks nice. :)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
oh no...

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Phone posted:

i know that suzuka circuit is accessible by train; however, it's also out in the middle of nowhere (read: mie-ken) and is a more of a "premier"/world class circuit than twin ring motegi. even in the states you have to drive out to the middle of unincorporated nowhere for 99% of the road race tracks.

have fun at motegi, it looks nice. :)

Suzuka and arguably Fuji Speedway are the two tracks that are reasonably close to civilization in Japan, most of the rest are similar to how Cab described Motegi — up in the middle of loving nowhere. I’ve wanted to visit because I’m a geek like that plus the Twin Ring complex has Honda’s museum which sounds cool, but it’s definitely at the “rental car might be worth it” end of the category.

Mind sharing which series this team is with?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I see makgeolli directly below the one cup, you should drink all of that.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
I'm going to Japan at the end of August and am currently booked for a night in Hiroshima and one on Miyajima. How likely is it the knock on effects of the flooding are going to be significant by then? Should I be looking to change plans there?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Not Japanese but I think infrastructure in Japan may sometimes be a little old but generally sound. Should be fine.

It was a giant freaky rainstorm of the decade that caused this as far as I know

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Thanks ntan for checking prices. It’s the super taikyuu race series and my brother in law is involved with a race team as backup logistics. His good friend was in formula 3 and now owns the race tweaks

They are thinking of expanding their business for Chinese tuhao tourists and taking care of their fancy cars. I only know one or two locations in china where there’s an actual track but the facilities suck and japan is just great to visit. Dad goes to track and then I’m trying to figure out for something for the rest of the folks. And from there spring board my side hustle

Obviously not motegi but some other race way closer to civilization like fuji or whatever in gotemba.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Initial D was in Gunma so you could probably hook race weebs with that.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

mmm11105 posted:

I'm going to Japan at the end of August and am currently booked for a night in Hiroshima and one on Miyajima. How likely is it the knock on effects of the flooding are going to be significant by then? Should I be looking to change plans there?

Tourist areas/downtown are ok, from what I've seen. A typhoon could still come at any time in your trip.
Please go, you'll love it, and they'll appreciate your business.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

peanut posted:

Tourist areas/downtown are ok, from what I've seen. A typhoon could still come at any time in your trip.
Please go, you'll love it, and they'll appreciate your business.

Thanks, sounds good. Hard to get a sense from the news on how bad downtown was hit vs the surrounding areas.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I'm gonna be in the Hirosaki area of Aomori in a couple weeks. Does anybody have recs for places to go/eat at there? I'm considering renting a car, so it can be a bit in the weeds.

Also I guess I'll be in Tokyo and Kansai, but those are much more well documented.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Like up at the university? Iirc it's pretty isolated so there's a good chance you'll easily hit ever good cafe and izakaya in a 5km radius.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

mmm11105 posted:

I just left that area and the trains along the coast (which are the ones you would be using) are currently running fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

peanut posted:

Like up at the university? Iirc it's pretty isolated so there's a good chance you'll easily hit ever good cafe and izakaya in a 5km radius.

I have no idea if it's by the university. We're staying here: http://www.romantopia.net/

It looks like there's nothing nearby and we're going to relax mainly, but if there's anything worth checking out, y'know.