Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

cole would give random women his full name blood type and full SSN lol

OPM gives that poo poo away all the time

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I've had my out of office message on outlook saying I'm on leave since the day I left, why the gently caress does brigade think I might do some work on leave just because they try to call me or text me while I'm on leave.

Whatever these arbitrary deadlines are I sure as poo poo wasn't told about them before the BDE wide block leave period. Not my loving problem.

During my hike yesterday I had no signal, however once I got to the top I had a couple bars and almost immediately some rear end in a top hat from BDE called me.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mustang posted:

I've had my out of office message on outlook saying I'm on leave since the day I left, why the gently caress does brigade think I might do some work on leave just because they try to call me or text me while I'm on leave.

Whatever these arbitrary deadlines are I sure as poo poo wasn't told about them before the BDE wide block leave period. Not my loving problem.

During my hike yesterday I had no signal, however once I got to the top I had a couple bars and almost immediately some rear end in a top hat from BDE called me.

Why was your phone even on? You're on leave.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Never be answering your phone on leave.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Taking pictures, doing stuff with friends.

I'd love to have a work cell phone but you have to be a field grade to have one of those it seems. I'm not sure if they actually use them though, pretty sure they're blackberries.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I didn't answer when they called or texted me, nonetheless it still pisses me off that they try to get a hold of me while I'm on leave.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mustang posted:

Taking pictures, doing stuff with friends.

I'd love to have a work cell phone but you have to be a field grade to have one of those it seems. I'm not sure if they actually use them though, pretty sure they're blackberries.

set up a google voice number. change your personal number. give GV number to work. give personal number to family/friends. Turn off GV whenever you're off the clock.

Those blackberries are given to them for the exact same reason, but just a privilege of rank that the government foots the bill.

Alternatively, do not disturb mode on iphones loving owns and is great for such situations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Whenever I get hit with something on leave I remind myself these are indoctrinated morons who think it is normal to not have a separation of work and off time, and it helps a little bit with not getting angry. Then I flip the gently caress out when a follow on text arrives

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I'm going to have to set up the Google voice thing.

It's been pretty consistent since I've been on leave that people have been trying to get a hold of me to do stuff. I've ignored it the entire time but it's making me pretty loving angry about going into work when I sign back in.

I deliberately asked everybody I could think of before I went on leave on what I should get done before signing out.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've had google voice for like five+ years now and it's amazing. I've only ever given out the GVoice number, and I can set certain numbers to forward or not forward, or to ignore all calls and email me transcripts of the voicemails. Can just as easily shut off notifications for hangouts while away.

It also means that I have one universal blocked spam caller list that's followed me through cellphones and carriers, and you can use hangouts to text from your computer.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Saw an article recently that said there’s a new trend in office life where people put up an out-of-office saying “I’m on leave. When I return I’m going to delete every email I received while I was out without reading it.”

Apparently it does wonders for your mental health to not have that feeling of dread returning to the office.

I figured I’d try it but modify it to something like “every email from someone not my boss”

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Back in the 90's they started making us all get emails, but a lot of dudes didn't even have computers so you could still get away with not doing email.

Then in the early 2,000's they started making us give up our cellphone numbers, but a lot of dudes didn't have cellphones so you could get away with not doing it.

Now our computer/phone is in our pocket and I don't know anyone who could get away with not having a computer or cell phone.

I wonder if anyone has done that? Just not owned a personal computer or cell phone?

I'd be fired immediately if I didn't have multiple methods of contact at all times. :(

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I knew one dude who tried it. They made him get a land-line in his room and have him call to check in.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Mustang posted:

I didn't answer when they called or texted me, nonetheless it still pisses me off that they try to get a hold of me while I'm on leave.

Put your phone on Do Not Disturb. You can still use wifi and the phone but calls and texts go to voicemail.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If it doesn't have DnD, airplane mode will turn off the cell radios but you can turn WiFi and Bluetooth on as you want them.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Friday afternoon/early evening, I got an email from work. I was sad before reading it because I figured it would be stuff that needed to be done after hours or I needed to come in on the weekend or anything else the army had conditioned me to expect.

Nope, it was a "You're doing well--here's a bonus!"

It's still nice being out.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Aranan posted:

It's still nice being out.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I made the mistake of checking my email today to have an idea of what to expect when I go into work tomorrow. All it did is piss me the gently caress off.

Especially the loving fire extinguisher guy that works for base supply. I have been trying for 2 months to get this guy to reinspect our fire extinguishers. He's either on leave, tells my subordinates he'll call ME to work out the details, or when he's actually scheduled to show up he doesn't show up. Frankly, it's loving bullshit he feels the need to call ME to work this poo poo out. How loving hard is it to say yes or no to a date and time? There's no bartering or dealmaking involved, it's a yes or no loving answer. This dude literally works less than a mile from where my BN's fire extinguishers are.

I could go through a civilian dude to do it but it would require getting quotes from at least 3 different vendors, justification memo, getting several people at BDE to approve it and then COMET when they inspect you is still likely to be like "hey there LT I don't think this is a legal purchase! why didn't you use base supply?"

This fire extinguisher inspection bullshit is a loving racket anyway. The seals and tags are flimsy and easy to rip off because of the way they're stored in Strykers where people are constantly moving past them and rubbing up against them. Same goes for HMMWV and FMTV extinguishers.

The Army is loving stupid.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I worked at a place where the fire extinguisher inspection was done by an off-post vendor. $10/ea for them to tap each fire extinguisher once or twice with a rubber mallet and apply a new tag. They could “inspect” a few hundred fire extinguishers in a couple hours.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

It's way more expensive for us, some of them are like $25 each. Whoever does it is easily making several thousand dollars.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Guess I got to get into the Fire Extinguisher racket

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Yeah it’s not hard for me to see if that needle is still in the green area on the first three and then assume the next 100 will be the same.

That’s military grade inspecting and that’s how I would advertise it.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Not even 0900 yet and I already feel like slamming my head into a wall.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mustang posted:

Slam it into my jaw, maybe my pain will go away.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Mustang posted:

Sir, why arent you at the motorpool? Company Co said loddy doddy.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
just lol if you never gave yourself TBI in a fit of rage

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mustang posted:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I'm somewhere off to the right of that last panel

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

The Army just approved the new PT test to start October 2020. I'll believe it when I see the equipment roll in. Also, RIP everyone's backs

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Retardog posted:

The Army just approved the new PT test to start October 2020. I'll believe it when I see the equipment roll in. Also, RIP everyone's backs

those were already broken by rucksack runs, hth

:smith:

e: loving :lol:

quote:

Deadlift between 120 and 420 pounds, depending on the individual soldier. You must do three reps in five minutes.
Two-minute rest.
Standing power throw. You’ll be required to toss a 10-pound medicine ball overhead and backward. You’ll have three minutes to make one practice throw and two for a grade. The longest distance is recorded.
Two-minute rest.
Hand-release push-ups. You lower your chest to the floor and lift your hands off the ground between each rep. You’ll be required to do the most reps in three minutes.
Two-minute rest.
Sprint-drag-carry. In four minutes, you will go 25 meters out and 25 meters back five times. Each iteration will include a different activity: sprint, drag a sled, run a lateral shuffle, carry two 40-pound kettle bells, then sprint again.
Two-minute rest.
Leg tuck. You will be required to hang from a pull-up bar and with your body parallel, then pull knees to your elbows for as many reps as possible in two minutes.
Five-minute rest.
Two-mile run on a track or a paved, level road, with a 20-minute maximum.

Source: https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2018/07/09/a-new-army-pt-test-is-on-its-way-this-is-not-a-drill/

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

IIRC, figuring out how to grade the drat thing was what did in the last attempt to change the PT test, and that's what they're supposed to spend the next year doing.

Also, at the rate they quoted for equipment ($1,200 per set for 5 Soldiers to complete the test in 75 minutes), it'd cost over $43,000 for my unit alone, assuming everyone was to do it in one go.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Gender and age neutral?

How's that gonna work unless those weights are light as gently caress?

*edit* nvm. Running with two 40 pound kettles? Deadlift?

Also, what are they gonna do with permanent profiles? Just kick out everyone who ever gets hurt? Or are there alternates?

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 9, 2018

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Apparently you can be discharged for failure, or reclassed into a less demanding job.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

spacetoaster posted:

Also, what are they gonna do with permanent profiles? Just kick out everyone who ever gets hurt? Or are there alternates?

"Generally speaking, somebody who has a long-term permanent profile that precludes taking a fitness test may not be retainable for duty in the Army," McGurk said.

from: https://www.army.mil/article/208189/army_combat_fitness_test_set_to_become_new_pt_test_of_record_in_late_2020

Which is typical Army. Talk about how they're gonna boot people that can't cut it while at the same time retain everyone because they can't meet ESO

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
i'll toxx on this never being used army wide

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Apparently you can be discharged for failure, or reclassed into a less demanding job.

It sounds like they're going to still be figuring all of it out over the next few years.

I was in on the testing for the old "new" APFT and it got shelved after a few years of trial.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Regardless, I'm way more onboard with a deadlift and hanging leg lifts than god drat sit up worship.

Can we also lol about this:

"Leadership also felt strongly about keeping the run event, despite protestations from some corners that no one runs in combat."

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Regardless, I'm way more onboard with a deadlift and hanging leg lifts than god drat sit up worship.

Can we also lol about this:

"Leadership also felt strongly about keeping the run event, despite protestations from some corners that no one runs in combat."

You know exactly why that got kept in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

My physical therapist made me promise her that I'll never do another sit-up outside of a PT test. And because I live the Army Values, I'm gonna keep my word