Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

^burtle posted:

drat I wish I knew this before I fired up the demo, now I'm wondering if I should restart.

Who'd ya pick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

^burtle posted:

drat I wish I knew this before I fired up the demo, now I'm wondering if I should restart.

Look on the bright side, at most you wasted three hours v:v:v

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I have to imagine I'm going to want to keep Therion in my party forever and ever, but he's like number 4 or 5 on the list of heroes I want to check out with the demo. :(

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Always pick evil characters

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 9, 2018

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I went with H'aanit but if she has to be in the group 24/7, I'm going to have to veer from the Pokemoning.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Saint Freak posted:

Always pick evil characters
This is amazing :allears:

Although I felt like it was missing something, I hope you don't mind

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
My party is going to be Primrose, H'aanit, Ophelia and Tressa, cos they're p hot

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

I think H'aanit is my second favorite of the eight after Tressa, but if I'm stuck always having my first character in the party, it's probably going to be either Ophilia or Therion -- the former for heals, or the latter for debuffs + sneakythievin.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Do you get a sample of Primrose's buffing abilities in her Chapter 1?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

^burtle posted:

Do you get a sample of Primrose's buffing abilities in her Chapter 1?

One of her first two skills buffs a party member's physical attacks. However, it only works on actual party members, and not Allured NPCs that you summon in battle.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

W.T. Fits posted:

One of her first two skills buffs a party member's physical attacks. However, it only works on actual party members, and not Allured NPCs that you summon in battle.

But you can use it on herself, melee a few turns, then burn all the boost you just charged up with a dark dance attack. Works pretty well :)

But yeah, Allured NPCs can't be controlled or targeted, they're just bonus dudes.

I'm wondering what the limits are here. Can you have an allured NPC and a summoned pokemon or just one or the other? Can we have 6 party members? :allears:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I feel like I'm the only person who likes Alfyn. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the least popular protagonist.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Zaphod42 posted:

But you can use it on herself, melee a few turns, then burn all the boost you just charged up with a dark dance attack. Works pretty well :)

But yeah, Allured NPCs can't be controlled or targeted, they're just bonus dudes.

I'm wondering what the limits are here. Can you have an allured NPC and a summoned pokemon or just one or the other? Can we have 6 party members? :allears:

The pokemon just pop in for the one attack, but they explicitly showed off bringing in two NPCs if you have both Primrose and Ophilia in your party in one of the videos.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

voltcatfish posted:

I feel like I'm the only person who likes Alfyn. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the least popular protagonist.

not true, his quest to be the goodest boy is almost as good as Tressa's quest to have fun

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Your Computer posted:

:bisonyes:

Need a vibrating Therion gif.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

voltcatfish posted:

I started with Alfyn and I like him but from the intros I've seen his seems to have the least direction with no particular goal to accomplish besides helping people he comes across (and probably discovering the identity of his mysterious role model along the way).

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Your Computer posted:

This is amazing. Both of you brung so much to this thread :allears:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I'm just going to wait a week and see how main character choice plays out.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I picked Alfyn for my first playthrough of the 3hr demo, put it down for a bit, came back, and I could not tell you anything that happened. Did another character, then went back to Alfyn's area because obviously I missed something, right? Nope. You find a plant in a cave and it ends.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

Nah, I'm Alfyn 4 lyfe. He's pretty great.

Reality Loser posted:

I picked Alfyn for my first playthrough of the 3hr demo, put it down for a bit, came back, and I could not tell you anything that happened. Did another character, then went back to Alfyn's area because obviously I missed something, right? Nope. You find a plant in a cave and it ends.

Yeah, but along the way you trash-talk a giant snake before and after beating the poo poo out of it with an axe, and then you set off on a quest to be The Goodest Boy. Alfyn is good.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Alfyn fits well as the main character because he just wants to help everyone with their problem.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I love Alfyn. He is, indeed, the Goodest Boy.

Which makes it all the more amusing to have him head north and immediately help Therion steal a bunch of stuff.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Parasol Prophet posted:

Which makes it all the more amusing to have him head north and immediately help Therion steal a bunch of stuff.

Therion wants to steal from the ultra wealthy. The goodest of goals.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Parasol Prophet posted:

If he heads east, he has a fun little progression from "I want to help everyone, and also I didn't even kill that snake I took the venom sample from" to cheerfully helping Primrose kill the poo poo out of her abuser. Clearly the fucker's got it coming, but boy Alfyn really goes all-in right away doesn't he

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

voltcatfish posted:

I think it's less that he's the "least popular protagonist" and more that he's "everyone's second favorite character after their favorite character in this game".

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I’ll probably main Alfyn when I finally play the demo and/or main game. I love generic protags like him.

I also like FF5’s Mix command, so bonus.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

voltcatfish posted:

So far I'm team good guy, Ophelia then Tressa then Alfyn.

They're all great! :3:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I played the first demo, my main character is gonna be the stripper and the party can be whoever seems cool.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I'm planning on rolling MC Tressa, Cyrus, Primrose, Alfyn in the main game.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I'm locking myself in to Tressa - Cyrus - Ophilia - TBD (probably Alfyn because come on, but also maybe Primrose or Olberic or Therion because either I like their style or just think they'd be useful in some way).

The only one I'm not really drawn to at all is H'aanit, and I'm not really sure why. I just don't think animal friends are my thing.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I was set on H'aanit because someone described her unique thing as 'pokemon' and then I played the demo and learned that apparently people have no loving idea what pokemon is.

I think I'll still stick with her though because she grew on me.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I thought she was basically like a Beastmaster from FF5? Which of course also predates Pokemon by a few years.

I'm encouraged by how much they're copying FF5, though considering it's the Bravely team, it's also no surprise.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mega64 posted:

I thought she was basically like a Beastmaster from FF5? Which of course also predates Pokemon by a few years.

I'm encouraged by how much they're copying FF5, though considering it's the Bravely team, it's also no surprise.

Yeah, the animals aren't like persistent. You basically collect them and get a fixed amount of times you can summon it into battle. You then have to recollect it if you want to get more summons.

Her wolf is the only exception to this.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
She captures animals and forces them to engage in brutal combat, by using their unique abilities to slaughter other creatures. Is that not pokemon?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Licarn posted:

She captures animals and forces them to engage in brutal combat, by using their unique abilities to slaughter other creatures. Is that not pokemon?

They don't level up and you can't give them fun nicknames. Also they're lovely in-battle summons with random AI.

realistically I was at least hoping they'd work blue mage style and any you captured would just be added to your moveset permanently instead of having them as limited summons.

Zore fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 9, 2018

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I'm thinking Op now as my first then sub her into Dancer. If I'm going to be locked into my lead character, it may as well be the healer / support.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Zore posted:

Yeah, the animals aren't like persistent. You basically collect them and get a fixed amount of times you can summon it into battle. You then have to recollect it if you want to get more summons.

Her wolf is the only exception to this.

That's kinda cool. So basically Beastmaster but !Release isn't one-and-done. Not a bad improvement to that idea.

How many monsters can she hold at one time?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
So is Tressa the mirror to H'aanit in combat then? Because Tressa has (gains?) an ability to spend money to have a human mercenary come in and do one attack.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

doingitwrong posted:

So is Tressa the mirror to H'aanit in combat then? Because Tressa has (gains?) an ability to spend money to have a human mercenary come in and do one attack.

Primrose can do something similar with human enemies as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
Therion is my main character, because I really liked playing as him, found his mechanics like stealing and opening the purple chests useful, and I'm engaged by his quest so far. I'm pretty certain that I'm not going to have a set party though, cause I want to try out all these characters and not get complacent.