Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think tri slosher is incompatible with this new map...really hard to maneuver in that death pit if you're up against anybody with even the slightest of range advantage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/LogothX/status/1016128364875116545

Overtime.

My team is struggling.

One guy is dead.

Entire enemy team is on the tower.

Will I throw?!?!?!

Game ended one point away from losing the lead.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Night Blade posted:

https://twitter.com/LogothX/status/1016128364875116545

Overtime.

My team is struggling.

One guy is dead.

Entire enemy team is on the tower.

Will I throw?!?!?!

Game ended one point away from losing the lead.

:woomy:

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1014472704546594817

Owers
Nov 13, 2004

I want to be lean and mean.
I don't think it gets any closer than this in Salmon Run gently caress
https://twitter.com/CollinearVertex/status/1016282422151864321

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Got up way too early this morning so I played some chill pre-work Turf War. Had one game where I splatted the entire enemy team, then splatted two of them again after they respawned, and we still lost because the rest of my team refused to take advantage of their respawn time to paint some territory. :argh: I was proud of that, though. I hope I taught those splatted enemy players a lesson about why you don't overextend. And also why you should probably pay attention while you're painting the floor.

That said I have a whole new respect for the Splattershot. I knew it was good, but I've been spending most of my shooter time with N-Zaps, Splattershot Pro, and blasters, so it was fun to go back to the basic Splattershot and remember how good of a gun it is.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I love Turf War. Yeah it's a bit inane and yeah it lacks some of the competitive drive of the other games, but it's exactly that low-stakes JUST PAINT attitude that makes it amazing. Ranked matches can end up being too much stress at times and Grizzco is amazing but also kind of scary.

Really really loving the OG Tri-slosher. I need to be more careful about getting out-ranged by shooters, but generally I can paint an area on my own and sneak up on enemies with too much trouble. Ink Armor is also one of my favorite specials for being both cheap and universally useful. I just unlocked the Nouveau version, I'll have to try it out, though I find that Splat Bombs eat A LOT of ink.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I lost two turf war matches back-to-back last night, both by one tenth of a percentage point. Felt absolutely awful.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Losing Turf War by a little bit feels bad, but it ends up upsetting me less because you usually don't know it's a loss till it's done.

Ranked Modes just frustrate the piss out of me because of the way winners and losers are decided. I swear I've seen splat zones flip at the drop of a hat sometimes, and other times take nearly every inch painted. Is wear I've had Rain Makers where we totally got closer to the goal, but not by the way they measure so we lose at tally. Overtime takes a bit of paying attention to understand how it works, so a lot of the time I found myself getting frustrated when it feels like the enemy gets three years of overtime to clutch out a win, but despite fighting your hardest and feeling like you've contested the objective, you don't get overtime.

It also really doesn't help you get next to nothing on a ranked loss. Turf losses dont give much either, but it feels better then when you get KO'd and the game pretty much just laughs at you for being bad. :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Even when I lose Turf War, I rarely feel as utterly helpless as I do when I lose a ranked battle. It's probably because Turf War is a little less immediately quantifiable than ranked battles are, so even if I'm getting steamrolled I don't see a numerical ticker counting down to my humiliating defeat.

There's also the sort of "point debt" that you can accrue if you, say, lose control of the zone in Splat Zones and then the enemy team takes it over. I know what the point of that is--in Rainmaker and Tower Control, that's done simply by the physical position of the thing you need to move to the opponents' base, so the point-based modes have something to sort of simulate that effect. But man it can be frustrating to lose because the enemy team rallies and keeps making progress while you can't dig through the debt you accrued for handing over control that one time. That's fairly rare, though, I guess.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I realized I haven't played anything but Salmon Run and splatfests since before X rank existed. I had planned to get my clam blitz score up to S with the others, but I just haven't been playing

Octo Expansion and Salmon run are just so good

I guess I'm jonesing for some splat zones and rainmaker now

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think Splat Zones and Tower Control are my favorite ranked modes, though I suspect Clam Blitz would be my favorite if I played exclusively with a premade team and voice chat. Clam Blitz is a lot of fun when it goes well and no fun at all when my team is just screwing around and not working together at all.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Bloop posted:

I realized I haven't played anything but Salmon Run and splatfests since before X rank existed. I had planned to get my clam blitz score up to S with the others, but I just haven't been playing

Octo Expansion and Salmon run are just so good

I guess I'm jonesing for some splat zones and rainmaker now

Im pretty sure I ran into you in SR yesterday, unless there's a rogue The Bloop out there

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

Im pretty sure I ran into you in SR yesterday, unless there's a rogue The Bloop out there

I did play quite a bit yesterday. Cool! (did we win? I was having a pretty good streak yesterday)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

We crushed it iirc. I didn't lose a single game with this weapon set, it was really strong

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

I think Splat Zones and Tower Control are my favorite ranked modes, though I suspect Clam Blitz would be my favorite if I played exclusively with a premade team and voice chat. Clam Blitz is a lot of fun when it goes well and no fun at all when my team is just screwing around and not working together at all.

Clam Blitz in League seems like it might be okay. The real problem with Clam Blitz Ranked is that people don't really play to the strategy. people run around, pick up 9 clams, then never pick up another. Or worse, you have 9 clams and everyone just gangs with you taking clams before you can get the last one. Matches almost always go to time, which is terrible. I don't mind matches going to time here and there, but Clam Blitz just goes to time way more than any other mode

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Do i have this right;

When you initiate local matches at The Shoal, you're using direct console to console wifi, and unless you input the secret button combo you're not using any kind of LAN?

Do I have this correct?

I did a test run of local play with some colleagues and it was a disaster. Everybody could see my room but nobody could join it without a generic "communication error". I thought it was down to some NAT bull poo poo from the office wifi but was it actually just the consoles being poo poo? And how come it worked in the test of the test at my house when the consoles were meters apart, but not at the office where they were inches apart if it's all wifi direct?

I'm going to bring my own router with a temporary network for the actual game I want to run.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Fedule posted:

Do i have this right;

When you initiate local matches at The Shoal, you're using direct console to console wifi, and unless you input the secret button combo you're not using any kind of LAN?

Do I have this correct?

I did a test run of local play with some colleagues and it was a disaster. Everybody could see my room but nobody could join it without a generic "communication error". I thought it was down to some NAT bull poo poo from the office wifi but was it actually just the consoles being poo poo? And how come it worked in the test of the test at my house when the consoles were meters apart, but not at the office where they were inches apart if it's all wifi direct?

I'm going to bring my own router with a temporary network for the actual game I want to run.

I've only ever played it without being on any kind of infrastructure wifi, yeah, but idk if your office is Serious about security and not afraid of the FCC they might interfere with wifi?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I wish there was ranked turf war

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
(Clarification: all the tests I did were before I discovered LAN mode because I thought local play was LAN mode because why the gently caress wouldn't it be?)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

I wish there was ranked turf war

It's called Clam Blitz

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
That's not nice to turf war

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh my god; does Nintendo really, seriously not allow Switches to connect to a network if they can’t use it to connect to the internet?

Does any aspect of local/LAN play actually work?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Fedule posted:

Oh my god; does Nintendo really, seriously not allow Switches to connect to a network if they can’t use it to connect to the internet?

Nintendo and anything networking is still lovely yeah :(

https://twitter.com/1stLethalGeek/status/1016385066304339972
Even in S+ this works 90% of the time, though not quite THIS well lol. Also during this session I went from S5 to S8 in a single rank up which surprised the hell out of me.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Fedule posted:

Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart 8DX (maybe others) have wired LAN modes, but most multiplayer is networking between Switches over wireless.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Fedule posted:

(Clarification: all the tests I did were before I discovered LAN mode because I thought local play was LAN mode because why the gently caress wouldn't it be?)

LAN means network administrators have had a chance to gently caress it up with captive portals or the like, ad-hoc wifi doesn't.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Takoluka posted:

Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart 8DX (maybe others) have wired LAN modes, but most multiplayer is networking between Switches over wireless.

That’s the thing though! Nintendo says it’s wired only, but it’s actually literally any network connection I don’t know why they explicitly state something that is not true and seems to be to their detriment, but the fact is, you can play in “wired” LAN mode on a wireless network. Now, I have a working router, which Switches can see and connect to, but they automatically disconnect when they can’t connect to the Actual Internet, so even though every aspect of this works, the Switch actively sabotages my attempt at creating a game. Every single aspect of this thing is needlessly stupid!

I don’t even know why local direct wireless play failed at the office.

I just want to get some people together for Salmon Run.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't think any console lets you connect to a network without doing an internet check. Not to excuse the behavior, but, it's not a very common feature, because it sounds like an easy entry for hacking

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

In Training posted:

I don't think any console lets you connect to a network without doing an internet check. Not to excuse the behavior, but, it's not a very common feature, because it sounds like an easy entry for hacking

Yeah, looking into it, it looks every single console requires an extensive guide on how to basically trick LAN without internet to work, so it's not a Nintendo-exclusive issue.

As far as your local wireless issue, you might want to research that one, as my experience with Splatoon 2's The Shoal in both local wireless and LAN mode have been great. Maybe there's weird network interference?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I chose team squid and regret it.:smith:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

I chose team squid and regret it.:smith:

Team Squid is gonna mop the floor with all the 8 year olds who couldnt afford the dlc and want to play as OCtos for the weekend.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I am very conflicted. If I don't choose Team Octo, I'm not being true to myself. But if I choose Team Octo, I'll probably only get mirror matches and that won't be nearly as fun :ohdear:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Tired: the splatfest is a race war
Wired: the splatfest is a war between people who started with splatoon 1 and those who started with the second game

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

Team Squid is gonna mop the floor with all the 8 year olds who couldnt afford the dlc and want to play as OCtos for the weekend.

:yeah:

plus I've been playing as an octogal since I unlocked them, so being a squid for the day will be FRESH

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Being team squid worth a golden toothpick is the one true path

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wrist Watch posted:

Tired: the splatfest is a race war
Wired: the splatfest is a war between people who started with splatoon 1 and those who started with the second game

Which is which?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think this is my first time on Team Pearl, maybe?

I'm not positive because there isn't such an obviously correct choice as with the squid sisters

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The splatfest is between squids and octopodes, and there is no contest there.

Inklings vs. Octolings would be harder.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Escobarbarian posted:

Which is which?

I’m just going off how it looks to me but it feels like most of the people I see going team squid are old heads (I can’t even say that ironically) splatoon 1 people who like squids better because they’ve spent more time with them. Splatoon 2 people don’t have that nostalgia but the gauntlet you have to go through to play as an octo makes unlocking them feel like you really earned it and seems to make them sway in that direction.

Yeah there’s undoubtedly gonna be people that don’t follow that but it’s just what I’ve noticed from checking this thread/twitter lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I don't like it when I win a turf war but my personal scores aren't so good so I feel like my team carried me. :sigh: