Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Then they all have visions of being murdered in their sleep by Audrey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
That's definitely going to happen and I can't wait for the easy plan of "don't plan to kill the people with the staff that tells them how they will die" to backfire. :allears:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
After Trixie and gang successfully escape, the witch returns to the Skyggemyrians who then kill her while explaining how she was outwitted and drugged.

The witch sees this as she touches the scepter and takes counter measures.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Looks like the bad guys are metagaming. They figured out that non-fatal methods are their weakness.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

god drat it Audrey

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I appreciate the deep characterization that goes into realizing Audrey would just automatically mentally insert "...and then we murder them" into a plan explicitly about not murdering someone

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I especially love that Audrey needed it explaining to her why planning to kill them was a mistake. :allears:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I wish you guys'd link the latest comic when you're the first to comment on it, because I only really follow it through this thread.

If you don't want to though, that's cool

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Audrey Gravescreams best gurl

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://trixie.thecomicseries.com/comics/292

planning is hard

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
These two are the best sisters.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Look, is it really her fault if all continuities lead to murder.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Is the solution to this puzzle to drug Audrey as well?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Only after they try to all agree to stop her if she tries to kill anybody, which fails because both Klara and Lyndon wouldn't be able to take away something that makes Audrey so happy.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Audrey remains unchanged.

http://trixie.webcomic.ws/comics/293

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
We're about due for that plague, aren't we?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
You know... the plan worked, you could let Audrey kill them now.

Wait, it's Thorsby. It'd turn out they were faking unconsciousness and had set a trap. Sorry.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

We're about due for that plague, aren't we?

Yeah, question is where's it going to come from.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

davidspackage posted:

Wait, it's Thorsby. It'd turn out they were faking unconsciousness and had set a trap. Sorry.

They definitely cannot let Audrey kill them, because the sceptre can actually see the future. If they did release Audrey, then the others would have seen that happening and done something differently. The only way for their plan to have worked is to actually completely prevent Audrey from doing so, so that when the others use the sceptre they see a completely different death, like dying in their sleep fifty years from now or something.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Deliberately trying to create paradoxes is a great way to catch yourself some kind of horrifying and ironic punishment.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Honestly, the way to game this system would be to obfuscate the way they die such that they can't plan for it. The scepter only shows a few moments prior to their deaths, after all. Like, subdue them by drugging their food, and then tie them up (and gag them, of course, so they couldn't shout a warning to past selves), and then kill them after they wake up, so it isn't obvious in any future-visions that they were ever drugged.

But that's a lot of work when no one other than Audrey really wants to kill them in the first place.

...think they'll keep the scepter this time, or sell it again?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

davidspackage posted:

The plan only worked because they actually don't want to let Audrey kill the witch.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
If she would kill them now, it would suddenly turn out that this is just a flash forward from a vision. Imagine suddenly realizing that you're not a real person, but actually just part of a vision, which will end in a few seconds.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Vision timeline you wouldn't know the difference.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

super sweet best pal posted:

Vision timeline you wouldn't know the difference.

You would, if Audrey had managed kill them now. Under these circumstances, it's impossible to live in a world were you could trick them into death. (Unless they suddenly didn't bother to use the scepter anymore.)

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Bobulus posted:

Honestly, the way to game this system would be to obfuscate the way they die such that they can't plan for it. The scepter only shows a few moments prior to their deaths, after all. Like, subdue them by drugging their food, and then tie them up (and gag them, of course, so they couldn't shout a warning to past selves), and then kill them after they wake up, so it isn't obvious in any future-visions that they were ever drugged.

But that's a lot of work when no one other than Audrey really wants to kill them in the first place.

...think they'll keep the scepter this time, or sell it again?

Why overcomplicate things, death by poisoned death scepter handle

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
The easiest way would be to plan 2 or 3 different methods that could occur in rapid succession. That way they could prevent the first method but then boom - killed 5 seconds later before they can use the scepter again.

Death by poisoned scepter is way better and more creative though!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Cat Mattress posted:

The plan only worked because they actually don't want to let Audrey kill the witch.

Yeah but the plan has worked already, what would happen if they now let her kill them? Would it retroactively erase this timeline?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It looks like it worked, but if they were to let Audrey go back and kill the witch, the witch would have seen that when she used the Sceptre, and would have some kind of post-sleeping draught trap in place.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
The holder of the scepter can freely take actions that invalidate its predictions. I'd assume Trixie's party are /probably/ safe to let Audrey loose, but they don't know exactly what death was seen in the scepter at the last check, and keeping the most murderous member of the party secured helps make sure that any potential death prediction occurs in the far future, and didn't reveal the party's near-future location.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

maltesh posted:

The holder of the scepter can freely take actions that invalidate its predictions. I'd assume Trixie's party are /probably/ safe to let Audrey loose, but they don't know exactly what death was seen in the scepter at the last check, and keeping the most murderous member of the party secured helps make sure that any potential death prediction occurs in the far future, and didn't reveal the party's near-future location.

What I just realized is that even if the protagonists hold on the scepter, that magic-user might still have one last scepter-vision to use against them. After all, if they encounter her again, Aubrey will probably try to kill her. And whoever is trying to stop Trixie will probably send the same agent for just that reason.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

His Divine Shadow posted:

Yeah but the plan has worked already, what would happen if they now let her kill them? Would it retroactively erase this timeline?

The scepter didn't show the traditionalists getting murdered then and there by Audrey, for whatever reason. The most obvious reason would be because Trixie and all didn't let her, but it's not the only possible one; they don't know all possible outcomes here, all they know is if they stick to this specific plan the traditionalists don't die, so they can't forsee it. If Trixie and the gang had changed their minds and decided to let Audrey loose after the traditionalists were unconscious, then that would just mean the real reason the traditionalists didn't get murdered right then and there was something else stops Audrey from killing them, very likely something that'd gently caress up the actual goal of just getting the hell off the island.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Could've just maimed them. They'd be wondering why they had peg legs in their death visions.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

Could've just maimed them. They'd be wondering why they had peg legs in their death visions.

But letting Aubrey doing that would have resulted in Aubrey attempting to kill them, and since we know they didn't die that means her attempt must have been would have failed.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

They should have bound and gagged them and then buried them alive to suffocate in darkness and confusion. If they don't have any clues to how they die, they can't take any precautions!

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Lavagargler is my new favorite surname.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thank you helpful receptionist!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Trixie means well, but she needs to accept that you can't make an omelette without killing the rich breaking a few eggs.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I know that receptionist is probably working for the president, but I really want her to just be like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

That receptionist has the right idea of things.