Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i have no idea who that is, is he a webcomic artist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Draws weird little comics on Twitter and Tumblr under the name Mister Hayden.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tollymain posted:

i have no idea who that is, is he a webcomic artist?

The ring-a-ding-ding-ding-it's-comic-time guy. Who makes goofy cartoons. So you could say that it was actually goofy time, so the signs were there and we didn't see them.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Cat Mattress posted:

The ring-a-ding-ding-ding-it's-comic-time guy. Who makes goofy cartoons. So you could say that it was actually goofy time, so the signs were there and we didn't see them.

Holy poo poo, now I know who it is

edit: Of course, Tweeter gonna Tweeter :rolleyes:

Samuringa fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 9, 2018

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I mean, if you make a public accusation, you’re gonna want to provide public evidence. Otherwise you can get sued for defamation.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I don’t expect anyone, women especially, to leave themselves open to the sort of harassment these shitlords give to anyone willing to speak out about predators. If it does go to court they can provide evidence to a judge but nobody owes some random twitter user their personal information.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

VanSandman posted:

I mean, if you make a public accusation, you’re gonna want to provide public evidence. Otherwise you can get sued for defamation.

OTOH if you actually did do something a defamation suit is a great way to make sure that your private misdeeds become part of the public record forever

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

VanSandman posted:

You'll be able to defend against a defamation suit with evidence it happened, even if you kept the evidence private up to then.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Why is this guy notable in the first place? His comics are constantly the most bare minimum effort thing I have ever seen, except maybe for the other twitter cartoonist who draws the little pink guy saying oh no.

Like really whats with that! Whats with Twitter Popular Cartoonists! Their favorite cartoon is all garfield! The work is bad!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

FunkyAl posted:

Why is this guy notable in the first place? His comics are constantly the most bare minimum effort thing I have ever seen, except maybe for the other twitter cartoonist who draws the little pink guy saying oh no.

Like really whats with that! Whats with Twitter Popular Cartoonists! Their favorite cartoon is all garfield! The work is bad!

Thank god we have someone to point out what really matters here

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Everyone knows that if they really wanted to be popular and widely read, people wouldn't post their comics on twitter, they'd print them out at Kinkos and staple them together as zines.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mors Rattus posted:

Everyone knows that if they really wanted to be popular and widely read, people wouldn't post their comics on twitter, they'd print them out at Kinkos and staple them together as zines.
Time until FunkyAl unironically agrees with this, T-minus five posts.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Samuringa posted:

Thank god we have someone to point out what really matters here

A twitter personality lives and dies by his or her ability to be replicated. They assume or externalize certain traits that people find relatable or within their parameters for social acceptability, that can also be shared and ingested at a fast enough pace to make room for the rest of the content coming down the horn. Someone like Mister Hayden can easily manipulate this media to their own ends by assuming traits of like a "soft boy" or whatever and creating passionless, meaningless, but aesthetically inoffensive content for the lowest common denominator. The man's entire success rode on a personality that was easy to manufacture, and upon discovery of his more real personality it is easy to reject him because nobody was ever actually there for his work.

The emptiness of the work is a condition of the problem. Why doesn't it matter?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
News: "Popular webcomics artist is a sexual abuser."

Literally any sane person: "Oh my god, he is a sexual abuser."

One fuckwad: "Oh my god, he is popular."

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

FunkyAl posted:

A twitter personality lives and dies by his or her ability to be replicated. They assume or externalize certain traits that people find relatable or within their parameters for social acceptability, that can also be shared and ingested at a fast enough pace to make room for the rest of the content coming down the horn. Someone like Mister Hayden can easily manipulate this media to their own ends by assuming traits of like a "soft boy" or whatever and creating passionless, meaningless, but aesthetically inoffensive content for the lowest common denominator. The man's entire success rode on a personality that was easy to manufacture, and upon discovery of his more real personality it is easy to reject him because nobody was ever actually there for his work.

The emptiness of the work is a condition of the problem. Why doesn't it matter?

Instead of posting here, you should print out your posts and make a zine out of them to distribute to interested parties

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Samuringa posted:

it's not like FunkyAl's denying the guy's a sexual abuser

Plus he's onto something: While I had found Mister Hayden's comics charming, I wasn't so attached to them I had trouble trying to :sever:

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 9, 2018

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Samuringa posted:

He is a sexual abuser enabled by his online popularity, is my point. Its the same story as Every Other online personality sexual abuse story and unless you apprehend the cause of it and start to question the social values that mold these people, youre just getting outraged for no good reason

VV Ye thats peobably a better way to put it VV

FunkyAl fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 10, 2018

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

FunkyAl posted:

He is a sexual abuser enabled by his online popularity, is my point. Its the same story as Every Other online personality sexual abuse story and unless you apprehend the cause of it and start to question the social values that mold these people, youre just getting outraged for no good reason

I feel like "outraged for no good reason" really isn't the right phrase to use (outrage at a problem that won't simply go away by merely being outraged at it, perhaps?), but otherwise :yeah:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I never thought I'd say this but I miss when Kazerad was the recurring webcomic thread narcissist. Also pink vag hair guy but he might've been confined to the comic-making thread.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Nuns with Guns posted:

I never thought I'd say this but I miss when Kazerad was the recurring webcomic thread narcissist. Also pink vag hair guy but he might've been confined to the comic-making thread.
that's not fair. funkyal isn't a narcissist or a creep like kazerad/scribblehatch. he's an unusual dude with some unusual opinions, but so are we all, and he makes unique and genuine work. i've never found him anything less than engaging, constructive and sincere. even when he expresses some bizarre sentiment and the whole thread goes down in flames, they're constructive flames, and tbh we all get a lot more out of (for example) arguing about the ideal medium for webcomics than we do out of endless pages of "whoa poppy"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
who poopy

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

anyway i guess the lesson here is that it's easy to assume that someone who creates inoffensive, zany, low-impact material is actually an inoffensive, zany, low-impact person irl, but that's not necessarily the case. this is still the internet, and it's very easy to lie on the internet

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

the worst thing that will ever come out about me is that i singlehandedly destroyed one of the best roleplaying communities on ultima online, not by sending nudes or forcing people into cybersex but just by being hysterical

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

avshalemon posted:

the worst thing that will ever come out about me is that i singlehandedly destroyed one of the best roleplaying communities on ultima online, not by sending nudes or forcing people into cybersex but just by being hysterical

I want to know this story.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Nuebot posted:

I want to know this story.
they shunned my elves and it drove me into madness

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

the problem with insane person stories is that they're usually best told by someone other than the insane person themselves

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Elves deserve to be shunned.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Bongo Bill posted:

Elves deserve to be shunned.
having since changed and grown as a person and as an elf, i agree with you

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

why poppy?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

avshalemon posted:

that's not fair. funkyal isn't a narcissist or a creep like kazerad/scribblehatch. he's an unusual dude with some unusual opinions, but so are we all, and he makes unique and genuine work. i've never found him anything less than engaging, constructive and sincere. even when he expresses some bizarre sentiment and the whole thread goes down in flames, they're constructive flames, and tbh we all get a lot more out of (for example) arguing about the ideal medium for webcomics than we do out of endless pages of "whoa poppy"

I'd say wrapping the thread back around into your idealized image of a 90s art zine scene and... whatever just happened upthread over the twitter comic guy is a bit narcissistic, but it's true we don't know his opinion on how sexy robots are or have photos of his junk on display and are better off for it. I do like when he posts his comics though.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I'm hesitant to accept an e-diagnosis of the posters itt that ignores the 'getting extremely mad online that someone said the sex creep sucks anyway' elephant in the room.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jul 10, 2018

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

This is the webcomic thread not the sexual abuse thread, FunkyAl's doing God's work by bringing us back on track imho

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I'm hesitant to accept an e-diagnosis of the posters itt that ignores the 'getting extremely mad online that someone said the sex creep sucks anyway' elephant in the room.

I'm not saying he has narcissistic personality disorder

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, did petunia's dad kill two people or...?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

neogeo0823 posted:

I think the implication is that he expected Petunia and Poppy to kill each other, then filled the holes after he resolved to stop them.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I absolutely read it as him killing his 'rude houseguests' aka Chicadino's thugs.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

neogeo0823 posted:

that's a weird way to refer to Morbi but you heard the news, huh

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Yeah, he killed whoever had been sent to threaten him in order to force Petunia's compliance while she was out fighting Poppy.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im hoping his personality previously in the comic is actually his normal demeanor w the old fogeyness played up and he just has the capacity to get serious if he really needs to, i like his characterization up until this latest information

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Tollymain posted:

im hoping his personality previously in the comic is actually his normal demeanor w the old fogeyness played up and he just has the capacity to get serious if he really needs to, i like his characterization up until this latest information

Remember before the harvest festival he told Mary to be on her best behavior or else, Alvus sighed as he unsheathed his swordcane.