Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Nothing ruins a game of Catan more quickly than pity.

Nothing ruins a game of Catan more quickly than it being a game of Catan.

I'm not surprised she got mega salty about it - losing in Catan basically means that you can't do anything with your turns, and you might as well not even be playing. Really, she should be thanking him, because his aggressive and selfish playstyle means it'll all be over that much quicker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Skwirl posted:

We only have his side of the story, he could have been an absolute dick while playing the game. in the story he tells he says there was "banter that she thought was rude" and then mentions that the boyfriend in the other couple gave his girlfriend some materials.

It could be something like the other boyfriend gave his girlfriend some free materials and when the GF in this story offered a trade he said "gently caress no, bitch. I'm winning this poo poo I don't need your loving sheep."

Odds are it was just a breaking point for something more serious than a board game, like a general lack of support or consideration from her partner. The worst fight I ever had with a roommate was set-off by Star Wars of all things. You never start fighting about how you always undermine me in front of your friends; it's "you just had to make fun of my lousy Street Fighter score tonight."

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

zoux posted:

This guy is 26
https://twitter.com/redditships/status/1015701923406778368

"He played Go Fish with my 8 year old cousin at Christmas and when he lost he said it was "loving bullshit" and dropped his cards everywhere"

This guy isn't the only one. I dunno how many controllers I've made my buddy smash playing Mortal Kombat. Loses his poo poo when he loses at anything. Poker? 2 or 3 ipods smashed because of that. Hats torn in half. Self inflicted bruises. He just should stop engaging in any sort of competitive activity. Its gotten the way that when we are playing darts, people are trying to talk him down like a loving child. I only wish I had some of it on video cause that poo poo would be so viral. I was beating him at MK once, and he twisted the controller apart, got up, grabbed this child sized plastic patio chair and balled it up somehow, spit at the door. He cant help himself. He doesn't even know he is doing it once he gets mad.

bhangraton
Aug 20, 2010
Imagine not wanting your friends to have fun with you.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

there wolf posted:

Odds are it was just a breaking point for something more serious than a board game, like a general lack of support or consideration from her partner. The worst fight I ever had with a roommate was set-off by Star Wars of all things. You never start fighting about how you always undermine me in front of your friends; it's "you just had to make fun of my lousy Street Fighter score tonight."

He even starts the post by saying that it was already a strained relationship. If you already have a problem with somebody not being supportive or being over-competitive for no reason, then them doing it in a casual game of Catan of all drat things probably solidifies your opinion of them being an irrecoverable shithead.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

bhangraton posted:

Imagine not wanting your friends to have fun with you.

I want my friends to have fun, I just don't care if they lose and get mad

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Forgive my ignorance, I stopped playing video games back in the early 00's because I grew up, had kids/wife/job and all that. Aren't games just supposed to be a past time / entertainment source? When did it become some sort of political movement or even an identity thing? Like, I don't understand why there are memes that are like "DON'T gently caress WITH GAMERS, WE GET poo poo DONE" or whatever. Aren't these mostly white dudes that sit in their mom's house eating pizza rolls and defining themselves as incels? Am I missing a big old in-joke or are these people for real?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Croatoan posted:

Forgive my ignorance, I stopped playing video games back in the early 00's because I grew up, had kids/wife/job and all that. Aren't games just supposed to be a past time / entertainment source? When did it become some sort of political movement or even an identity thing? Like, I don't understand why there are memes that are like "DON'T gently caress WITH GAMERS, WE GET poo poo DONE" or whatever. Aren't these mostly white dudes that sit in their mom's house eating pizza rolls and defining themselves as incels? Am I missing a big old in-joke or are these people for real?

Would you rather have an identity that was "white dude sitting in his mom's basement eating pizza rolls and being incel" or "gamer"

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Croatoan posted:

Peoples entire identities have become based on the products they consume. Though that point extends to far more than just video games.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

zoux posted:

Would you rather have an identity that was "white dude sitting in his mom's basement eating pizza rolls and being incel" or "gamer"

Oh tiny Tim, you don't need to prove anything

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

The Merkinman posted:

Peoples entire identities have become based on the products they consume. Though that point extends to far more than just video games.

I'm not alone in thinking that's stupid, right?

Edit: Am I the idiot?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Croatoan posted:

If the only thing you do is play games and talk about playing games with other people who only play games, then yes, your identity tends to collapse into a singularity of "GAMER."

Same thing if your only thing is left-wing politics online, or being an Evangelical Christian, or any hobby, really.

It's putting all your identity eggs in one basket. It just makes people really, really weird.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

codo27 posted:

This guy isn't the only one. I dunno how many controllers I've made my buddy smash playing Mortal Kombat. Loses his poo poo when he loses at anything. Poker? 2 or 3 ipods smashed because of that. Hats torn in half. Self inflicted bruises. He just should stop engaging in any sort of competitive activity. Its gotten the way that when we are playing darts, people are trying to talk him down like a loving child. I only wish I had some of it on video cause that poo poo would be so viral. I was beating him at MK once, and he twisted the controller apart, got up, grabbed this child sized plastic patio chair and balled it up somehow, spit at the door. He cant help himself. He doesn't even know he is doing it once he gets mad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIn4L7hUmUI

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

My cousin used to have meltdowns like that over the stupidest poo poo. Really awful screaming tantrum kind of poo poo well into his teens. Then one day a bunch of other kids he didn't know witnessed him having one at a park and gave him weird looks and his friends said it was loving embarrassing.

That was the last time he ever did it.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Serf posted:

lmao you go to any gamergater's twitter these days and they're all either completely nazi or they've tried to divorce themselves from the poo poo entirely

Wouldnt that just back up the tweets point that a lot of them were left leaning and vacated when they realized what the other half of thier group was up to.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Croatoan posted:

e: Double post, my bad

Its a symptom of people in the United States being unable to divorce themselves from thier preferred media of choice. Im a Gamer. Im a Star Wars Fan. I love Prestiege Television, and its SO IMPORTANT that Ill make it the core of my identity.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Meme Emulator posted:

Wouldnt that just back up the tweets point that a lot of them were left leaning and vacated when they realized what the other half of thier group was up to.

no, because that's not what the tweet says

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Meme Emulator posted:

Not when she's talking in the present tense, no.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Apparently, board games are serious loving business.

There's so much to uncover with this.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

DicktheCat posted:

Let me tell you about a little game called Warhammer 40k.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Board games are fun and when I play my friends, I try to win, as they also try to win.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DicktheCat posted:

Some people get super competitive about anything you can get competitive about.

I can't play board games that last more than an hour or two because you can figure out who's likely to win within the first hour I hate being there if I'm not on that list.

Something that lasts an hour or less I'm fine with losing.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When playing board games, it's assumed you're trying your hardest to win as quickly as possible, if you don't play that way the game breaks down and effects enjoyment of the games. Some games are irredeemable and it's actually impossible to enjoy playing them. Catan is one of those games.

e: Pity is the #1 reason why 45 minute board games take 90 minutes to complete, and it makes it less fun for everyone.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Some people get super competitive about anything you can get competitive about.

I can't play board games that last more than an hour or two because you can figure out who's likely to win within the first hour I hate being there if I'm not on that list.

Something that lasts an hour or less I'm fine with losing.

One of my friends once played Power Grid* with an accountant. He vowed never to play again.

*Calculating numbers and keeping totals in your head, especially for other players, is real important in that game.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
Another aspect of the whole “Gamer is my identity” thing is that with Twitch and competitions some people can actually make a decent living from playing video games. So some of the stereotypical nerds who normally at some point would say “poo poo I need to get a real job, move out of my parents basement and get a life” are now able to convince themselves that instead they will make a career playing video games. Thus, spending 12 hours a day playing Smash Bros isn’t wasting time; it’s putting in valuable hours training for your future career. These people identify as a “gamer” in the same way as someone identifying as an engineer or teacher or pianist.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/bestofnextdoor/status/1016081446941782017?s=21

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Oh tiny Tim, you don't need to prove anything
There's a lot of things he's said/done that I bet he wishes we'd all just move past, and heal.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

there wolf posted:

It reminds me of that age old article of how Diablo III ended a marriage. Obviously there was a lot of other stuff but for some reason the writer tried to frame through a pivotal moment where he let her character die.

Croatoan posted:

The disease of capitalism has encouraged people to construct their identity around the things they consume. There’s extra issues with with media cultures that have constructed an identity around being “nerds” or “outcasts” as those cultures become more mainstream, but I think that’s a big part of it.

bhangraton
Aug 20, 2010

hawowanlawow posted:

I want my friends to have fun, I just don't care if they lose and get mad

believe it or not, it is very much possible to have fun with your friends and still win, and its kind of weird that you want to be so obtuse and refuse to consider that there might be things about your behavior and habits--even if they're circumscribed to the game/activity--that could make it not fun for other people

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

bhangraton posted:

believe it or not, it is very much possible to have fun with your friends and still win,

I never said it wasn't?

quote:

and its kind of weird that you want to be so obtuse and refuse to consider that there might be things about your behavior and habits--even if they're circumscribed to the game/activity--that could make it not fun for other people

nobody has ever accused me of not being fun to play games with

what imaginary mean guy are you arguing with?

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
How people have fun playing board games depends from person to person. Some people have fun playing more "cooperatively" and don't like to be mean to each other. Other people like to play to win and consider everything fair game, not taking things personally. Other people don't like thinking too much and play like bullshit, but have fun anyway.

It is a matter of knowing who you are playing against. Against most of my friends I can play competitively (which is what I prefer), while for instance against my wife (who likes board games but doesn't enjoy planning too much or optimizing) I take it easy and try to play in a fitting way, instead going for some fun but not necessarily optimal strategies.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
Jfc thread.

It's more fun to actually win/feel like you can win games. This is not controversial.

"It's not about winning or losing it's about fun" is the mantra of people who suck. They also tend to enjoy games that are almost entirely chance based so they can win about half the time.

If you or your friends are not competitive then don't play games. Watch a movie with your lame rear end friends, idk.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
the real idiots on social media was the idiots on social media we became along the way.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
TONIGHT ON WWL IDIOTS ON SOCIAL MEDIA RAW EXXXTREEEEEME

THE EDGELORDS

VERSUS

THE NICEGUYS

IN

BOARD GAME STRATEGY SMACKDOWWWWWWWWNNNNNN

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
maybe quit being a big baby bitch about games/vidjagames/movies/insert all things that nerds like here

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

if mocking a grown woman for bitching at her man for not giving her free poo poo in a board game makes me an edge lord, call me edgy mcgee

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

A controversial opinion here: I like playing games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Not posting a screenshot because there's no way to trim it of too revealing information but my home town's only funeral director just posted news about a heat warning advisory for the region with the caption "Best news ever!" on Facebook.