Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

anybody that pronounces husband as "hussbundt" can gently caress right off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

anybody that pronounces husband as "hussbundt" can gently caress right off

“Hubby”

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
"the wife" is worse than hubby.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The thing that annoys me most with that are those online mom forums where everything is like "DH", "DD", etc. Everything has to be "dear _____". It's weird and off-putting.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Netflix/podcasts/etc saving your last point for evvveeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Re-watching or listening to something I first took in years ago and every single episode autoplays into the final credits, because I had originally skipped ahead after the content ended so you have to manually reset to the beginning.

Surely we have the technology to recognize that I might want my spot saved if it's midway through from two weeks ago but the final minute and a half saved for years, no thanks?

Also podcasters pretending that they are absolutely obsessed with me undies and blue apron and poo poo instead of just going "this week we are sponsored by..."

Fake rear end endorsements make me way less interested than if they just admitted "this company gave us money to hock product, check out the following features"

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Netflix/podcasts/etc saving your last point for evvveeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Re-watching or listening to something I first took in years ago and every single episode autoplays into the final credits, because I had originally skipped ahead after the content ended so you have to manually reset to the beginning.

Surely we have the technology to recognize that I might want my spot saved if it's midway through from two weeks ago but the final minute and a half saved for years, no thanks?

Also podcasters pretending that they are absolutely obsessed with me undies and blue apron and poo poo instead of just going "this week we are sponsored by..."

Fake rear end endorsements make me way less interested than if they just admitted "this company gave us money to hock product, check out the following features"

I really hate this too. Like you'll see a thing on netflix you want to watch and it pops you right into the middle of it and then you remember oh yeah i started to watch this a year ago but couldn't finish it for whatever reason.

And yeah phony endorsements are the worst. Like on masterchef they actually were gushing over walmart quality produce and meat. Like they'd spend 30 seconds saying how only one in 5 steaks or something are certified walmart prime choice, and their produce was fresh and exceptional etc. None of those rich fucks have ever bought food from walmart, come on, we aren't that gullible.

The best endorsement which I unfortunately can't find on youtube anymore was when Norm Macdonald was paid to advertise the Man Grate. His endorsements were deemed too funny and they canceled the deal even though him clowning on the man grate was probably the most publicity they ever got.

e: there's this but because youtubers are morons they had to add some stupid background music to it: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1162nr

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 19:01 on Jul 7, 2018

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Two of the shows in a recent TV series are not available on demand, for whatever stupid reason. I have to use the network's site or app to watch them. I try their site first and get, I don't know, a dozen little ads before I can even watch the drat thing. Each ad stops when it's done, so I have to click it to make it advance to the next. If I move to another tab while an ad is playing, the ad stops, and I have to click it to get it to start up again. (I thwarted this by opening the video player page in its own window; I can do other poo poo in the other window while the ads play.) Somewhere in the click-to-resume process I seem to have clicked on the invisible video progress bar, so when the ads finally stop, I'm in the middle of the show. I click back to the beginning of the show and...the ads begin again.

After I finally manage to see some of the show, the same poo poo happens again at the midway point. Ads ads ads, with no end in sight. Some just straight-up do not play, and clicking on them only sends me to the product site. Once I got one of those "play an interactive ad for 30 seconds or watch a bunch of ads" thing, but after clicking the "Watch your show" link once the 30 seconds were up, I got another clump of regular ads. This is when I gave up. I eventually signed up for a profile so the site would remember my video progress (password: pieceofshit), after which it happily punted me back to the beginning of the video. :wtc:

What the gently caress? I had to sign in with my cable provider to get any sort of access to these videos, so they know I already pay to be able to see this poo poo. The ads are more reasonable in the app, and absent in the on-demand version.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I have the version of hulu with ads and it responds to my adblocker but “plays” the ads anyway, so I just have 30-60 seconds of a blank screen telling me to disable my adblocker, then the show plays. It’s pretty sweet.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

There is a Fairy washing up liquid ad that shows people shaking their lunchboxes to wash the tomato sauce out of them which is annoying enough (especially with the “I like to move it move it” song but with “shake it” instead) but to compare the result with a competing brand the lunchbox with the fairy is loving pristine white and dry at the end of this vigorous shaking and the competitors one isn’t even sudsy like one has not been used and the other has not been washed at all like why not TRY and make it even the SLIGHTEST bit believable you LYING FUCKS.

A friend pointed out today that it was the third time I had mentioned to him how much that ad annoys me. I see it a lot.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

what kind of rear end in a top hat fills their lunch box with tomato sauce in the first place

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I'm very sorry but my peeve is what you just said. What is wrong with you british friends that you think "washing up liquid" is a better term than "soap" (or if you want to be specific, dish soap).?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
One thing that massively grates on my nerves is when a company replaces their product with a significantly lower quality version but then bombards everybody with flowery language about how they care about quality and this change is actually good! You, customer, just don't like change and aren't willing to give change a chance.

No. gently caress you. Last week your product was good. This week your product is bad.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Customer Post: "Hey Customer Service, I need help with [issue that can easily be fixed by going to or calling their local store]"

Coworker: "Hmm, better escalate this."

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Complaining about food not being authentic means you're a oval office. All that matters is if it tastes good or not.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also people in texas, even (gasp) people of mexican origin, grow up eating home made tex mex food. gently caress people who treat it like taco bell.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I'm very sorry but my peeve is what you just said. What is wrong with you british friends that you think "washing up liquid" is a better term than "soap" (or if you want to be specific, dish soap).?

I don’t disagree with you. Washing up liquid, hand wash, washing powder, laundry detergent, surface cleanser, body wash, facial foaming cleanser it’s all soap. Hair soap hand soap kitchen soap floor soap clothes soap. But washing up liquid is what comes out of my brain automatically so :shrug:

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Complaining about food not being authentic means you're a oval office. All that matters is if it tastes good or not.

My all-time favorite Yelp review went something like "I'm from California so I know authentic Mexican food. I went to [a Yucatecan restaurant] and ordered chicken fajitas and they just weren't very good".

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

lavaca posted:

My all-time favorite Yelp review went something like "I'm from California so I know authentic Mexican food. I went to [a Yucatecan restaurant] and ordered chicken fajitas and they just weren't very good".

Mine is similar, from TravelAdvisor, critiquing the sushi at a Cuban resort. "...and I'm from Vancouver so I know good sushi."

It's a mid tier Cuban Resort, calm down man.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

lavaca posted:

"Authentic" is so silly. My grandmother was ethnic German (Donauswabian) who grew up in Yugoslavia with my great grandmother who cooked Viennese pastries for a rich Jewish family. My grandmother worked with her and learned a lot of cooking from the Jewish cook that the family had on staff. She learned to cook German food at home (as far as she knew it was German).

She was able to get out of the country at the end of the war before Tito's purge of the ethnic Germans in Yugoslavia. She fled to Austria and ended up in a DP camp for about 7 years. She learned more about Austrian cooking and continued to cook what she thought was German. She moved to the states after my dad was born. All the while cooking "German" food.

When I was a kid, I loved her "German" food. She was very proud of her German heritage. She spoke German at home. It wasn't until I was an adult that I realized that most of her cooking was a mix of Hungarian, Slavic, German, and Turkish.

What's authentic? I don't know. All I know is that I make my Cevapi authentically and everyone else does it wrong. Then onions go *in the meat* not with the meat.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/6oy84e/key-and-peele-macedonian-cafe

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’m queer and today in a rousing game of co-op hack n slash vermintide 2 a grown rear end man greeted us all in voice chat with a rousing “SUP FAGGOTS”

loving gamers, it’s 2018, be decent

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

mostlygray posted:

"Authentic" is so silly. My grandmother was ethnic German (Donauswabian) who grew up in Yugoslavia with my great grandmother who cooked Viennese pastries for a rich Jewish family. My grandmother worked with her and learned a lot of cooking from the Jewish cook that the family had on staff. She learned to cook German food at home (as far as she knew it was German).

She was able to get out of the country at the end of the war before Tito's purge of the ethnic Germans in Yugoslavia. She fled to Austria and ended up in a DP camp for about 7 years. She learned more about Austrian cooking and continued to cook what she thought was German. She moved to the states after my dad was born. All the while cooking "German" food.

When I was a kid, I loved her "German" food. She was very proud of her German heritage. She spoke German at home. It wasn't until I was an adult that I realized that most of her cooking was a mix of Hungarian, Slavic, German, and Turkish.

What's authentic? I don't know. All I know is that I make my Cevapi authentically and everyone else does it wrong. Then onions go *in the meat* not with the meat.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/6oy84e/key-and-peele-macedonian-cafe

There’s only one “Russian” restaurant in my large city and the Russian food is fake and sucks, and they serve Beef Stroganoff for fucks sake. The “Borscht” I got there was beet juice, likely from a can, with some cabbage from a can floating around and I had to ASK for sour cream, for fucks sake. This place is really expensive too. The best way you’re gonna get close to Russian food is to go to this one specific Polish restaurant (they are crazy and super authentic and only hire old polish ladies to cook who I literally saw peeling potatoes in the parking lot so).

E: nobody knows anything about Russian food so that is my pet peeve. OH AND THEY DONT HAVE loving CAVIAR like wtf kind of Russian restaurant doesn’t serve caviar in a bowl as an appetizer?????

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 03:46 on Jul 9, 2018

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
GPS software that uses “continue straight” as a direction. I got burned by it like 4 times today.

In 0.4 miles continue straight
Continue straight
Continue straight TURN LEFT
Rerouting

gently caress you, apple maps.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Rolo posted:

GPS software that uses “continue straight” as a direction. I got burned by it like 4 times today.

In 0.4 miles continue straight
Continue straight
Continue straight TURN LEFT
Rerouting

gently caress you, apple maps.

Why are you using Apple maps.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I tried to print an apple map once, it came out all pear-shaped.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Games telling you that if you quit all your unsaved progress will be lost without having any way for you to check when the last save point was. If it was 30 seconds ago we're probably OK, but if I'll have to redo a whole section then I might think twice.

Also games that say that regardless of context. Like, I quit the campaign to go back to the main menu and it tells me I'll lose my unsaved progress. Fine. Then I quit the game entirely and it tells me I'll lose my unsaved progress. I already did. There is no way to get back to the main menu without losing your unsaved progress.

But really all this comes down to a more fundamental complaint, which is that I should be able to manually save anywhere and as frequently as I like. This is like a movie telling me I can't pause it in the middle of a scene, or a book telling me I can't put it down in the middle of a chapter.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Then when you manually save, ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO SAVE!?

Nah, game, I just fuckin' with ya. Don't save.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
My mom house sat for us for a week. Before we left, we made sure she was well stocked up on supplies, including toilet paper. There were about 11 rolls in the closet when we left, and when we came back we only had 3. How? How does one person use a roll of toilet paper a day? :psyduck: We don't buy the cheap stuff either. We buy the thick kind that comes in megarolls.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Shoulda bought gigarolls

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
When my phone lets me connect a call with reception so lovely you can't hear each other. This goes for facetime/skype/etc - wouldn't there be a minimum data transfer rate that would need to be maintained to make these work? Aren't computers good at measuring numbers? This also goes for streaming video - don't try to play the video if you're still buffering, eniac!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I had a pocket WiFi thing with me on my trip to Japan last month, and was warned when I booked it that it didn't allow video- or voice chat (kind of sucked, since that's a big part of why I used it; there had been no such warning this time last year). I tried anyway, just for shits and grins: I could see and hear the people I was calling, and they could see me. Couldn't hear me, though. Turn off video and I could still hear them, but they couldn't hear me. Why not default to voice only? If you're trying to keep me from gobbling through data, allowing two-way live video--but only one-way audio--isn't the way to do it.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Ebola Roulette posted:

My mom house sat for us for a week. Before we left, we made sure she was well stocked up on supplies, including toilet paper. There were about 11 rolls in the closet when we left, and when we came back we only had 3. How? How does one person use a roll of toilet paper a day? :psyduck: We don't buy the cheap stuff either. We buy the thick kind that comes in megarolls.

The thick fancy kind lasts less than the medium kind. Not Scott but the level above that. Like target store brand. That lasts forever.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

Ebola Roulette posted:

How old is she? If she’s not menopausal, you can go through a lot of toilet paper when you’re on your period. Especially when period shits are involved!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Thin Privilege posted:

The thick fancy kind lasts less than the medium kind. Not Scott but the level above that. Like target store brand. That lasts forever.

Patently untrue. How much money have you taken from Big Store Brand TP?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Songs should never have a ~minute long verbal introduction on it. It's not part of the song, it's just setting an atmosphere, leave that for concerts or something.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Is there a way to do a hard reset on your youtube preferenes? Lately no matter what song I start on in whatever genre, it gets into the same list of songs. Same order every time. It would probably take them like a single day to add the "next recommended song"=random feature, but they don't. Why?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Is there a way to do a hard reset on your youtube preferenes? Lately no matter what song I start on in whatever genre, it gets into the same list of songs. Same order every time. It would probably take them like a single day to add the "next recommended song"=random feature, but they don't. Why?

Get spotify premium and enjoy paying 8 bucks a month for that, plus also every song or album you’d ever want on demand ad free whenever. I will never look back.

Alternatively, take pride in being non-goony enough that youtube doesn’t insist you want to hear abot the sjws ruining star wars.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Get spotify premium and enjoy paying 8 bucks a month for that, plus also every song or album you’d ever want on demand ad free whenever. I will never look back.

Alternatively, take pride in being non-goony enough that youtube doesn’t insist you want to hear abot the sjws ruining star wars.

I'm still trying to scrub all the "feminazis GETTING owned" and "stephen crowder RESPONDS to _____" garbage after I watched some sovereign citizen videos. The amount of caps lock in my recommended feed has dramatically increased since I CLICKED on those VIDEOS.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I'm still trying to scrub all the "feminazis GETTING owned" and "stephen crowder RESPONDS to _____" garbage after I watched some sovereign citizen videos. The amount of caps lock in my recommended feed has dramatically increased since I CLICKED on those VIDEOS.

I swear I've seen the same "x GETTING owned" nomenclature and that is a loving pet peeve, if you're gonna do that it's clearly "x getting OWNED"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Cory Booker BODY SLAMS the media for...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

What baffles me is that if you watch some "lol watch some sovcits get owned" videos suddenly YouTube thinks you're a horrible person that wants to hear about how pizza gate is real and feminists are all evil.

No, YouTube, I just want to laugh at idiots getting caught on camera being willfully stupid. I don't want to listen to a 50 minute fallacy-laden angry rant about women.