Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Mors Rattus posted:

Ken Hite is a very traditional Reaganite Republican.

Reminder: Reagan was as bad, or worse, than Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

They aren't really big outliers of "good" and "bad" in that position in a historical sense.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Definitely worse.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
How are they both compared to Hitler?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Plutonis posted:

They aren't really big outliers of "good" and "bad" in that position in a historical sense.

Look up Andrew Jackson sometimes. The original Trump, a dipshit ethnic genocider on a scale that makes the modern Trump look like nothing.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Bedlamdan posted:

I'm genuinely surprised they don't get more poo poo for making a game where you can play as Hitler.

So do you live in bad faith now, or do you just go there to argue?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kurieg posted:

So do you live in bad faith now, or do you just go there to argue?

No, I'm genuinely surprised that Hearts of Iron 4 and (1-3) lets you play as Nazi Germany and nobody has made a blog post or news article condemning it. You'd think they would, it's an incredibly low hanging fruit that's just dangling there.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There are countless war sim games where you can play as germany in WWII and that is not the same thing as "making a game where you play as Hitler." Most people draw a pretty clear line between enjoying the strategic and tactical challenges of a game about war, and endorsing or glorifying in any way the person responsible for the Holocaust.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Because you can play the countries that defeated the Nazis and because by playing as Hitler you can play as the person who ultimately killed Hitler.

e: And if you make a Holocaust mod it gets removed from the Workshop

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

There are countless war sim games where you can play as germany in WWII and that is not the same thing as "making a game where you play as Hitler." Most people draw a pretty clear line between enjoying the strategic and tactical challenges of a game about war, and endorsing or glorifying in any way the person responsible for the Holocaust.

Well, you can play as Nazi Germany during WW2 and beat the Russians and the Allies. The fact that it's an ahistorical wargame where the Nazis can outright win ought to be more troubling.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Bedlamdan posted:

No, I'm genuinely surprised that Hearts of Iron 4 and (1-3) lets you play as Nazi Germany and nobody has made a blog post or news article condemning it. You'd think they would, it's an incredibly low hanging fruit that's just dangling there.

LMAO head down this path and you end up screaming at Milton Bradley for making Axis and Allies.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I GMed an RPG session in which the players fought demons which as GM I controlled, therefore the makers of that RPG were selling a game in which I "play as Satan."

I played Axis and Allies when I was a teenager, so obviously not only did I "play as Hitler" I also got to "play as Stalin" so obviously Milton Bradley has been promoting the holocaust since the 1980s, why hasn't anyone taken them to task over that???

e.goddamnit

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

LMAO head down this path and you end up screaming at Milton Bradley for making Axis and Allies.

Yeah but, major publications have screamed at other things and people for less egregious things. Again, it's right there. It'd be so easy.

I bet I could slap together a thinkpiece on it in like, a couple of hours tops.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ha ha gotcha Leperflesh!!!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Paradox also makes a game where I can play as a hivemind that consumes all sentient life, clearly this also needs a moral denunciation.

Serf
May 5, 2011

"why doesn't [thing i don't like] exist already??"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Plutonis posted:

Because you can play the countries that defeated the Nazis and because by playing as Hitler you can play as the person who ultimately killed Hitler.

e: And if you make a Holocaust mod it gets removed from the Workshop

it's this. It's not the same because you can choose to play as WW2 Germany or as literally any other country involved and push Germany's poo poo in.

And in the newest HoI game there's multiple fully fleshed out and rewarding paths to play as Germany and explicitly avoid Hitler's takeover and instead remain democratic and even join the allies and all. The game's Hitler Percentile is actually pretty fuckin low!

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kurieg posted:

Paradox also makes a game where I can play as a hivemind that consumes all sentient life, clearly this also needs a moral denunciation.

I think between the two of us, we could start writing for Kotaku.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
waypoint is the hip new source of rage at minorities writing things in games, get with the times old man

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

waypoint is the hip new source of rage at minorities writing things in games, get with the times old man

TY, sending my resume off to them right now, wish me luck.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Crossposting from the WW thread, the original poster updated with a response from WW, and it is some of the finest shade-throwing I've seen in a while.

quote:

Edit: Following the article’s publication, DogWithDice was approached directly by Tobias Sjögren, CEO of White Wolf publishing, requesting the chance to speak with concerning the article mentioned. We were invited to email Tobias. After some consideration, we put together the following questions to raise. This screenshot is edited to remove personal details only.

During the time between sending this reply, we were startled by the attention that the article received, both in terms of positive and negative reception. Much of the negative reaction was phrased, once again, around the conceit that “vampires are evil” – a statement echoed by many fans of and a few creative minds at White Wolf including Mark Rein-Hagen, which we had previously discussed in chapter 5 of the article and felt was very lacking.

During this time, we also received emails from concerned individuals who are unconnected with this site, stated that they had received death threats from others as the result of this article. So as not to encourage such behavior, we will keep this source anonymous, however we would be remiss in pointing out these actions in relation to a discussion about ‘evil’.

We received the following reply.

CC’d into the conversation is Jason Carl,CEO of By Night Studios. Some of the points that were mentioned as questions in our email are answered, some are not. After much consideration, we feel that the statement that has been issued in the email by Tobias Sjögren is sufficient in response to the article posted. We do not feel that verbal communication would be the best means to ensure transparency and accuracy in reporting of the discussion to our readers. As a result we are happy to include Sjögren’s statement here as a post-script for the article.

That is some of the best 'it is pointless to talk to you because you will misrepresent anything we discuss' I've seen implied in quite some time.

Serf
May 5, 2011

"please stop owning us and talk in private where we can dictate the terms of the conversation" lmao

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Liquid Communism posted:

Crossposting from the WW thread, the original poster updated with a response from WW, and it is some of the finest shade-throwing I've seen in a while.

That is some of the best 'it is pointless to talk to you because you will misrepresent anything we discuss' I've seen implied in quite some time.

'please do not make us put anything in writing we are bad at it'

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
LOL at inviting questions and then responding to a printed list of numbered and clearly stated questions with "can't we just jump on Skype and talk this over?"

Surely, this is a company with nothing to hide.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Leperflesh posted:

I GMed an RPG session in which the players fought demons which as GM I controlled, therefore the makers of that RPG were selling a game in which I "play as Satan."

Kurieg posted:

leaving bedlamdan's D-grade trolling aside, people always post stuff like this whenever their favourite game gets criticised for valorising gross stuff so it's worth pointing out: no, that's not how this works at all

a game where you blow up the earth is fine whereas a holocaust simulator is not, because it's not about measuring how bad the action simulated would be if you actually did it

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yup it's entry-level whataboutism, except also framed to cast shade on anyone who complains about problematic things as being inconsistently unreasonable because why aren't they also mad about <totally different thing that is nowhere near as problematic>

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I sincerely hope that dude is bright enough to record the drat conversation.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

leaving bedlamdan's D-grade trolling aside, people always post stuff like this whenever their favourite game gets criticised for valorising gross stuff so it's worth pointing out: no, that's not how this works at all

a game where you blow up the earth is fine whereas a holocaust simulator is not, because it's not about measuring how bad the action simulated would be if you actually did it

You can easily make the argument that, In The Age of Trump, people simulating fascist leaders and nations is dangerous and unhealthy. Arguably, they should be restricted to computer controlled states, and your own nation turning Fascist should be a Lose state instead where the game closes.

Leperflesh posted:

Yup it's entry-level whataboutism, except also framed to cast shade on anyone who complains about problematic things as being inconsistently unreasonable because why aren't they also mad about <totally different thing that is nowhere near as problematic>

Well, I'm not suggesting there's anything you shouldn't be mad about right now. It's just, again, a really easy way of putting shade on Paradox especially in light of the WW Vampire thing, that nobody in games media has gone for yet, and that surprises me.

Serf
May 5, 2011

literally inventing stuff to get mad about

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A person could easily make that argument, yes. Are you making that argument, Bedlamdan, or are you just saying that a person who is overly sensitive about things could make that argument, and this would be evidence of their excessive sensitivity, which you are surprised hasn't happened because of course the complainers out there are obviously overly-sensitive?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

A person could easily make that argument, yes. Are you making that argument, Bedlamdan, or are you just saying that a person who is overly sensitive about things could make that argument, and this would be evidence of their excessive sensitivity, which you are surprised hasn't happened because of course the complainers out there are obviously overly-sensitive?

It's easy money, and I could totally Games Journal the poo poo out of Paradox if I were up for it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Just for context, people have been up in arms for decades about violence of all types in video games, so maybe those theoretical people are more concerned about the visceral and immediately shocking violence in hundreds of a-list top tier games for all this time than they are about the implied violence and obliquely-implied historical horrors of a strategic wargame.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Like maybe first they can focus on games where you can beat up and murder prostitutes, and then worry about grognardy WWII sims later.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Just for context, people have been up in arms for decades about violence of all types in video games, so maybe those theoretical people are more concerned about the visceral and immediately shocking violence in hundreds of a-list top tier games for all this time than they are about the implied violence and obliquely-implied historical horrors of a strategic wargame.

"What the rise of fascism in this WW2 simulator has helped me understand about the Rise of Trump"

By Bedlamdan, a motherfucking genius.

Leperflesh posted:

Like maybe first they can focus on games where you can beat up and murder prostitutes, and then worry about grognardy WWII sims later.

I can write about this too. Maybe we could get something put together. Goon project, anyone?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Bedlamdan posted:

You can easily make the argument that, In The Age of Trump, people simulating fascist leaders and nations is dangerous and unhealthy. Arguably, they should be restricted to computer controlled states, and your own nation turning Fascist should be a Lose state instead where the game closes.

this bit is not getting any cleverer with repetition

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
When it comes down to it, even the most prolific prostitute murderers are not as bad as Hitler.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

When it comes down to it, even the most prolific prostitute murderers are not as bad as Hitler.

Except, of course, Hitler himself

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

What was Jack the Ripper’s opinion on immigration, worker’s rights, etc

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
My one data point for Paradox is that while the right likes to valorize the Crusades as good and just because it was against Muslims, Crusader Kings II accurately portrays them as a hopeless clusterfuck where the European nations score some early victories then blunder around the desert, withdrawing troops as soon as the Pope will let them.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

My one data point for Paradox is that while the right likes to vaporize the Crusades as good and just because it was against Muslims, Crusader Kings II accurately portrays them as a hopeless clusterfuck where the European nations score some early victories then blunder around the desert, withdrawing troops as soon as the Pope will let them.

The new expac will fix that though.