Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Welp, Steam logins are loving broken again. At least it happened during a work day for me this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
What do you all think is the most enjoyable stam build? I’m really not into the magicka stuff, never was with Elder Scrolls.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Jibo posted:

Welp, Steam logins are loving broken again. At least it happened during a work day for me this time.

loving Christ, is that what it is? I was just coming here to ask if other people were having login issues since I am constantly getting “connection to server timed out”.

How long does it usually take them to fix this (and how long has the problem been happening so far today? Any possible fixes on our end? Happening on a holiday sucks, particularly since my car is broken and I’m stuck at home.

Edit: I just ventured over to the official forums and even though there is a header that they are aware of steam login issues, there are multiple reports of players not on Steam having login issues too. Someone (a steam user) mentioned using eso64.exe as a workaround but when I try that it tells me to login using steam. Is there a trick to that?

rio fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 4, 2018

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

ukrainius maximus posted:

What do you all think is the most enjoyable stam build? I’m really not into the magicka stuff, never was with Elder Scrolls.

My main is a stamina Nightblade and I also have a stamDK and a stamina Warden. I enjoy them all, but the most fun (and most challenging to be really good on) was/is the Nightblade. The Warden would be a close second, but their DPS ceiling is a fair bit lower than either the NB or DK.

rio posted:

loving Christ, is that what it is? I was just coming here to ask if other people were having login issues since I am constantly getting “connection to server timed out”.

How long does it usually take them to fix this (and how long has the problem been happening so far today? Any possible fixes on our end? Happening on a holiday sucks, particularly since my car is broken and I’m stuck at home.

There seems to be some new Steam issue every other day ever since Summerset came out. I'm glad I bought direct. Hopefully they get this bullshit straightened out for you folks.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

It's been happening on pretty much a weekly basis, usually down for 8+ hours at a time during peak hours on Saturday or Sunday.

If you bought it through Steam a few years ago you supposedly would have gotten a normal account that you could use to log in. If you bought it in like the last year or two this is no longer the case.

While you're waiting maybe take a minute to go write a review on Steam :)

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Fellatio del Toro posted:

It's been happening on pretty much a weekly basis, usually down for 8+ hours at a time during peak hours on Saturday or Sunday.

If you bought it through Steam a few years ago you supposedly would have gotten a normal account that you could use to log in. If you bought it in like the last year or two this is no longer the case.

Haha. Good idea. I bought it sometime within the past 2 years so I didn’t get a normal account unfortunately.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

rio posted:

How long does it usually take them to fix this

Usually 10-12 hours.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Try launching the exe(eso64.exe) directly, even if you bought the game somewhat recently from Steam. I got it as part of the Humble Monthly bundle and can still bypass steam to get in.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I tried that unfortunately - apparently if you bought the game after One Tamriel on Steam it will not work. Buying it earlier will let it work, although I’ve read exceptions on both ends.

I’m keeping an eye on the official forums and there has been no work of what’s going on except a mod popping in to say that people aren’t allowed to make petitions. People are out for blood.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Steam login is back up.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I had no trouble launching from the .exe file when these troubles were going on.

I bought a non-steam copy at launch and then switched to a steam copy post-Morrowind, for what it's worth.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

It should also be possible to launch the game through some nvidia client thing.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
I’ve launched it directly before from the .exe successfully and I’ve also had it tell me to please launch through Steam, so who the gently caress knows. I just bought the game like three weeks ago.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I had no trouble launching from the .exe file when these troubles were going on.

I bought a non-steam copy at launch and then switched to a steam copy post-Morrowind, for what it's worth.

Yeah that usually works for me, though it breaks eso plus for some insane reason

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
could I get an invite to the guild, @CerulianBlue

thanks

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

Beefeater posted:

It's pretty nuts. Gear is (kinda) secondary*; understanding stats (and having them in the right places) having the right skills and a solid rotation is really what makes or breaks your DPS. Over time I've had my stamina Nightblade go from his first dummy parse of 18k to his latest at 50k.

*Except in the case of Relequen. That poo poo is insane.

Any chance you're looking for a raid guild, Beefeater? Because if you're popping 50k on dummies we've got a place for you even if you just wanna do casual stuff.

ukrainius maximus posted:

I love my stam sorcs both in PVE and PVP, but assuming you're talking about the former they have both great AOE and single target damage, move fast and have magnificent self-sustain. They don't really come together until you hit around level 30 in your class skill trees, but once you do it's a beautiful thing.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Mr. Carrier Pigeon posted:

Any chance you're looking for a raid guild, Beefeater? Because if you're popping 50k on dummies we've got a place for you even if you just wanna do casual stuff.

I'm in one, but it's a "sign up or don't, we don't care" sort of arrangement. I'm the filthiest of casuals in terms of what I do when I'm online so it works in that I can sign up to raid when I feel like raiding. If you need a fill in or something sometime though I'd be happy to help if I'm not otherwise occupied. :)

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Feelgood story of the day: yesterday I queued up for a Random Veteran Dungeon on my tank because I hate myself. I got Bloodroot Forge because lol why not, but I decided to see it through to the end. Turns out they were stuck on the last boss because the tank couldn't survive the heavies so they either kicked the tank or the tank left out of rage. Because this was a blind pug run I asked if everyone knew the fight and got "yes" from all 3 people. Needless to say we one-shot the Earthgore Amalgam (non HM because gently caress doing HM in pug runs) and got this:

Did the same thing today on my healer, got City of Ash(rear end) II, group was stuck on Skoria. We got the boss on the second try with only 5 deaths (including the first try which was a full wipe ofc). Got 2 impen skoria helms out of that ordeal.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I’ve been playing this on the xbone and I’m wondering if any goons play it there/if there’s a goon guild because I’m real tired of pubbing it

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/26439

quote:

Respec 2.0

With Update 19, you are able to make smaller, more precise changes to your Skills thanks to the updated respec system. With this update, when you reset your Skill Points, you are able to remove Skills individually and are not forced to re-add all of them from scratch, much like how you respec your Champion Points. You can clear all your Skill Points like normal if desired, but this new system will mean that if you only want to make a small change to your character's Abilities, you can!

Sad Wendigo
Jul 23, 2007

Nap Ghost

JackBadass posted:

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/26439

quote:

Respec 2.0

With Update 19, you are able to make smaller, more precise changes to your Skills thanks to the updated respec system. With this update, when you reset your Skill Points, you are able to remove Skills individually and are not forced to re-add all of them from scratch, much like how you respec your Champion Points. You can clear all your Skill Points like normal if desired, but this new system will mean that if you only want to make a small change to your character's Abilities, you can!

This is so long overdue.
I have a shitload of points in crafting, and not enough left to cover both a stamina and a magicka build without respeccing. Being able to shift just the few points back & forth will save me so much time & money.

Now if only you could save preset skill point arrangements.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

It worries me a little that it doesn't say it will cost less to do a partial respec instead of a full one... Like, you'd think it would, but I would not count on that unless I hear it from them. I could easily picture a more convenient interface (which will be nice either way) but with the same cost.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
What people tell you about MagBlades: They have a difficult rotation.
What people don't tell you about them: You get to stab people to death while standing on the other side of the room.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Nerd Of Prey posted:

It worries me a little that it doesn't say it will cost less to do a partial respec instead of a full one... Like, you'd think it would, but I would not count on that unless I hear it from them. I could easily picture a more convenient interface (which will be nice either way) but with the same cost.

You pay the full cost for respecing Champion Points regardless of how little you change, so I don't expect this to be any different.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
So am I nuts or can you actually sneak in pvp? Like, other players won't be able to see you unless you attack or get too close?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Starshark posted:

So am I nuts or can you actually sneak in pvp? Like, other players won't be able to see you unless you attack or get too close?
Yes, you are invisible to enemy players while sneaking.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I usually play a Paladin archetype in MMOs, tanky, able to solo (not always the fastest to kill things) with self / group heals and buffs. I don't care about the sword and board aesthetic as much as the playstyle. What is a good class/tree to take in ESO as a new player who wants to go down that path? -- And would I have a decent chance of getting into groups?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

kzin602 posted:

I usually play a Paladin archetype in MMOs, tanky, able to solo (not always the fastest to kill things) with self / group heals and buffs. I don't care about the sword and board aesthetic as much as the playstyle. What is a good class/tree to take in ESO as a new player who wants to go down that path? -- And would I have a decent chance of getting into groups?

The only class with native healing (not needing a resto staff) is templar, so those are the only guys that can group heal*, buffs aren't exactly a thing in this game in the traditional sense, most buffs are self buffs or they come packaged with damage/healing spells, but debuffs are huge and those come packaged with damage spells as well. Stamina sorcs are amazing solo if you want to melee, they heal themselves from crits (once you get the ability), poo poo out a bunch of aoe and single target damage; stamina nightblades from what I hear are pretty similar, not quite on the same level self-healing wise but pretty drat good.

*nightblades get spells/abilities that are like drain spells and heal your group iirc (I don't have a nightblade above like level 20)

Templar is probably what you want, they have a healing class line and then 2 damage lines, one is more focused on melee type stuff and the other is magic focused. The trees aren't like WoW and such, you will level everything and have skill points all over the place because there are a fuckton of skill points in this game; I forget how many I have at the moment somewhere in the mid-300s (I think) on my main character and I haven't finished either expansion and a few DLCs.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 6, 2018

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Warden is also very healing/tanking oriented, but I'd still say go with Templar as it fits the paladin archetype better.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

MF_James posted:

The only class with native healing (not needing a resto staff) is templar, so those are the only guys that can group heal*, buffs aren't exactly a thing in this game in the traditional sense, most buffs are self buffs or they come packaged with damage/healing spells, but debuffs are huge and those come packaged with damage spells as well. Stamina sorcs are amazing solo if you want to melee, they heal themselves from crits (once you get the ability), poo poo out a bunch of aoe and single target damage; stamina nightblades from what I hear are pretty similar, not quite on the same level self-healing wise but pretty drat good.

*nightblades get spells/abilities that are like drain spells and heal your group iirc (I don't have a nightblade above like level 20)

Templar is probably what you want, they have a healing class line and then 2 damage lines, one is more focused on melee type stuff and the other is magic focused. The trees aren't like WoW and such, you will level everything and have skill points all over the place because there are a fuckton of skill points in this game; I forget how many I have at the moment somewhere in the mid-300s (I think) on my main character and I haven't finished either expansion and a few DLCs.

Additionally:

Warden tanks also have an entire healing line, Soothing Spores is a directional heal that's stamina based, Budding Seeds is a placed & triggered or timed area heal, and Living Vines is a single target HoT. There's also Polar Wind, which will heal a single person for a percentage of your total health (generally pretty good, since you'll have a large health pool as a tank). They have some group buffs, giving a group damage resistance w/Frost Cloak. They also add extra crowd control with PBAoE roots and teleport traps.

Dragon Knights have a magicka based healing aura-thing in Cauterize, and some group buffs (Molten Weapons for damage boost, Igneous Shield for damage protection), and plenty of self buffs and heals - Spiked Armor for damage resistance, Inhale for PBAoE heal, Dragon Blood for boosted regen. They also add extra crowd control with AoE slows, roots and a pulling chain.

Templar is fine for tanking, but Woeler (the major tank guy) seems to prefer Dragon Knights, Wardens and Nightblades, in that order, because of the extra utility they bring.

Edit:

kzin602 posted:

tanky, able to solo (not always the fastest to kill things) with self / group heals and buffs. I don't care about the sword and board aesthetic as much as the playstyle.

Stamina Dragon Knight is a good introduction to tanking, if you don't care about Paladin aesthetics.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 6, 2018

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

kzin602 posted:

I ran a Templar as my tank for a long time in a Paladin sort of build before I switched him up for PvP. This was pretty much my build. I ran heavier on the magicka side (since almost every slotted skill used it), but I'd likely go a little heavier on stamina if I was doing trials regularly.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I've seen this twice tonight, so here goes for new players (these are really only rules if you ever want to group. If you're strictly solo, go crazy and do what you want, but be aware that you'll probably make things harder for yourself due to lack of regen and damage):

If You Are Playing a Magicka Based build:

You should be wearing 5 pieces of light armor. You can wear 2 bits of whatever you want, and these 7 pieces can be in any combination you want, as long as 5 of them are light.
You should be using Fire or Lightning staves (or one of each) if you're DPS, or a Restoration staff if healer (along with a Fire or Lightning staff on your second bar).
You Can alternatively go with Dual Wielding as a magicka DPS, if you really want to. It's not the greatest, but it works.

If You Are Playing a Stamina Based DPS build:

You should be wearing 5 pieces of medium armor. You can wear 2 bits of whatever you want, and these 7 pieces can be in any combination you want, as long as 5 of them are medium.
You should be using 2-handers or Dual Wielding 1-handers. You probably want to go with a Bow on your second bar.
You Can alternatively go Bow/Bow, or 2H/2H, or Dual/Dual, or 2H/Dual, if you really want to. It's not the greatest, but it works.
If you want to be a Stamina healer, I salute you. Go Warden and get Vigor, and learn to sweet talk groups.

If You Are Playing a Tank:

You shouldn't level as a Tank. You should take some tank skills (sword&shield, taunts, heavy armor passives, frost staff if you swing that way) and learn to use them when you group - feel free to queue as a tank, it's fine in normal dungeons as long as you have the skills, and you should probably carry around a set of heavy armor to switch into. However, you should build like a Stamina DPS as you level*, and then respec later. The game will give you free respec scrolls at ~level 47.

*except maybe for weapon choice. You may want to go Dual Wielding/Sword&Shield or 2Hander/Sword&Shield or Sword&Shield/Bow (or Whatever/Frost Staff), so that you become familiar with how Sword&Shield and/or Frost Staff work.

Edit: In case everything I've said is wrong or it made your vision glaze over, have some eye candy to make up for it:

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 7, 2018

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Thanks - seeing the guild chat was informative too. One thing I have not seen the answer to while researching myself is why magicka builds are encouraged to wear one medium and one heavy armor - as a magblade I don’t see any utility from the medium or heavy skills so why do most builds suggest that we shouldn’t just go all light armor?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

rio posted:

Thanks - seeing the guild chat was informative too. One thing I have not seen the answer to while researching myself is why magicka builds are encouraged to wear one medium and one heavy armor - as a magblade I don’t see any utility from the medium or heavy skills so why do most builds suggest that we shouldn’t just go all light armor?

You can go 5/2 or 5/1/1, either works. Medium to get some additional stamina regen. Heavy because of the additional armor points. 5/1/1 to get the Undaunted passive bonus, I think. Everyone uses stamina and everyone needs damage mitigation from armor, even if it's not a priority.

Navraz
Sep 17, 2007

I blame it on my own sick pride
Sugartime Jones
Could I get an invite @Navraz?

Rokkinhobo
Nov 4, 2005

Sweet mother of adventure!
I just started playing this game and I'd love an invite @BokuNoDarling

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Just realized remote desktop from a phone is sorta useful with eso.

You can check mail, claim daily rewards, use chat, use the crown store, and if you’ve left your characters in the right spot you can also train up your riding or craft. Also probably list things for sale with guild vendors. Just about anything that doesn’t involve moving your character anywhere.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Snowy posted:

Just realized remote desktop from a phone is sorta useful with eso.

You can check mail, claim daily rewards, use chat, use the crown store, and if you’ve left your characters in the right spot you can also train up your riding or craft. Also probably list things for sale with guild vendors. Just about anything that doesn’t involve moving your character anywhere.

In this vein, I am really, really hoping Apple approves the Steam Link app for the iPad soon.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Can I get an invite: @awshucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Has anyone else had a problem where the camera seems to slip into the level geometry until you get it back to the right spot? Its making delves and dungeons really annoying.