Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I left for the day (and forever!) and waiting in my inbox is a 5k bump in my NYC offer :psyduck: maybe the job was cursed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Buy $5000 of booze to celebrate!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Shirec posted:

I left for the day (and forever!) and waiting in my inbox is a 5k bump in my NYC offer :psyduck: maybe the job was cursed

:siren: YAYAYAYYAY :siren:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Shirec posted:

woohoo welcome to the big city

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Shirec posted:

Wooo! So happy for you. :)

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Shirec posted:

Any reason WHY they bumped your pay?

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Keetron posted:

Any reason WHY they bumped your pay?

They didn't say! I signed my offer letter (which is only for the "apprentice" level pay, and if I make it through I get the bump up). Maybe it's an regards to me choosing NYC, and I wouldn't have gotten it if I chose Houston? I know it was a 75k verbal offer, but I don't have any signed paperwork for getting through the program. So now I have in writing that it's 80k, and I may also be getting a relocation bonus.

edit: I know I had a background check they had to do, so maaaaybe that went through fine? It's basically a welcome aboard, here's what you should expect to make if you get an offer at the end of your apprenticeship

Shirec fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 7, 2018

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Just bear in mind that in NYC junior developer salaries are higher than that, so don't feel particularly tied to this job and consider hunting after a year.

We can discuss this more in the NYC thread and be insufferable over there though. Congratulations!

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Hell yeah welcome to nyc post in the thread and look for a job after a year because you can make a lot more than 80k once you’re established enough to job hunt without caring about relocation

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Shirec posted:

Aww yayyyyy! :) Everything’s coming up Shirec.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Thank you everyone :kimchi:

Volmarias posted:

Just bear in mind that in NYC junior developer salaries are higher than that, so don't feel particularly tied to this job and consider hunting after a year.

We can discuss this more in the NYC thread and be insufferable over there though. Congratulations!

Phobeste posted:

Hell yeah welcome to nyc post in the thread and look for a job after a year because you can make a lot more than 80k once you’re established enough to job hunt without caring about relocation

I'm excited! Although, from reading the Oldies thread and the insane interviews Good Will Hrunting is doing, I assume I'll have to get amazingly good as well :ohdear:

I'm still plugging out some Chicago area applications, but I'm debating when to cut that off and just fully focus on NYC (and selling my car, finding a short term sublease in my area, a short term sublease in Boston, and a vet to board my birds at)

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Shirec posted:

I'm excited! Although, from reading the Oldies thread and the insane interviews Good Will Hrunting is doing, I assume I'll have to get amazingly good as well :ohdear:

More importantly: Network. My career is in a happy place now, but it'd be a lot better if I wasn't completely poo poo at that part.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Shirec posted:

Don't compare yourself to him, you are in a very different place in your career than he is, and I'm not just talking about Years of Experience. Just face what's in front of you.

And congrats again :v:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Shirec posted:

Although, from reading the Oldies thread and the insane interviews Good Will Hrunting is doing, I assume I'll have to get amazingly good as well

[sobs in interviewer]

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
I hate SSL certs. What do you mean my certificate is invalid? It's on the right domain. With the right private key. Just let my users connect!

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Man JetBrains is great. My DataGrip evaluation ran out but it still lets me use it for 30 mins per launch, which is just inconvenient enough for me to make sure my manager keeps trying to get licenses without making working completely miserable.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Writing up my glassdoor review while sipping a glass of champagne :sparkles:

ChickenWing posted:

Man JetBrains is great. My DataGrip evaluation ran out but it still lets me use it for 30 mins per launch, which is just inconvenient enough for me to make sure my manager keeps trying to get licenses without making working completely miserable.

I need to try some new IDEs. I may be stuck moving to Arkansas for a month (:() before I move to Boston (unless a late breaking Chicago job happens), so I'll have plenty of time to work on Udemy tutorials

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Shirec posted:

Yesssssss

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Shirec posted:

Super interested in reading, but in understand if you don't want to share it.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

The Fool posted:

Super interested in reading, but in understand if you don't want to share it.

I would but it is very easily google-able. It is still under edit though so I suppose I could before it actually gets posted and then edit it out of my post...

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Nothing on the internet is forgotten, even if you edit.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Not that I'm advocating for you to post it here, but won't it be obvious to your old boss who wrote the review anyway?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Shirec posted:

I think that's solidly worthy of a "yass queen"

Did you ever get an exit interview?

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

I think that's solidly worthy of a "yass queen"

Did you ever get an exit interview?

Hahahahahaha my former company doesn’t even do COBRA, I basically had to pull teeth to get pay stubs.

In other insane, I think that job was actually cursed news, I had an insanely amazing interview today with a company. I really hope they like me and make an offer, and I feel that maybe they will! As I came out of the interview, I had an email from a company that rejected me a week or so again, asking for a phone call.

I talked to the recruiter for that place and turns out the rejection was a mistake. She had told me she wouldn’t be able to get back to me as quickly, so I had been surprised that I got the rejection so fast. Apparently wires got crossed while she was out and they rejected me before clearing it with her.

So they made me an offer! Junior Software Engineer, lower than my NYC offer but more in what I’d cost of living make. I told them I was in talks with another company and I’d have to get back to them. She was really upset (not with me) and said although she couldn’t flex in salary, they could find other ways to make the offer better because they didn’t want to lose such a good candidate. She said to keep her updated as soon as I know because she wants to compete with who I’m talking to.

So! I uh, yeah, I’m not used to all this positive feedback? I’m alternating between glowing and bewildered.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Shirec posted:

Hahahahahaha my former company doesn’t even do COBRA, I basically had to pull teeth to get pay stubs.

In other insane, I think that job was actually cursed news, I had an insanely amazing interview today with a company. I really hope they like me and make an offer, and I feel that maybe they will! As I came out of the interview, I had an email from a company that rejected me a week or so again, asking for a phone call.

I talked to the recruiter for that place and turns out the rejection was a mistake. She had told me she wouldn’t be able to get back to me as quickly, so I had been surprised that I got the rejection so fast. Apparently wires got crossed while she was out and they rejected me before clearing it with her.

So they made me an offer! Junior Software Engineer, lower than my NYC offer but more in what I’d cost of living make. I told them I was in talks with another company and I’d have to get back to them. She was really upset (not with me) and said although she couldn’t flex in salary, they could find other ways to make the offer better because they didn’t want to lose such a good candidate. She said to keep her updated as soon as I know because she wants to compete with who I’m talking to.

So! I uh, yeah, I’m not used to all this positive feedback? I’m alternating between glowing and bewildered.

Everything's coming up Shirec!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M67E9mpwBpM

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I was under the impression that COBRA was a mandate that the insurance company offer you a short-term contract extension, not something a company has to support? Last time I quit they didn't even talk about it and I got the paperwork from the insurer in the mail a day or two before I would have had to get it back to them to continue coverage which felt almost like a joke at the time. "Hope you feel like dropping everything and paying for 24-hour delivery lol!" Joke's on them because I'm too stubborn to go to the doctor and use the insurance, anyway :smugdog:

Anyway, glad everything's coming up Shirec now that you don't have to suffer through hellboss' cursedjob anymore.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Shirec posted:

This makes me so happy. You deserve some happiness and good news after the hell you've been through the last couple of months. Soak it up, please, if not for you then for the rest of us!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
And then PM all of us your Glassdoor review

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CPColin posted:

And then PM all of us your Glassdoor review

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Shirec posted:

she couldn’t flex in salary

they didn’t want to lose such a good candidate

:catstare:

See if you can get a signing bonus or stock options (if they're public). Otherwise, if you're determined to go with them, see about additional vacation time.

Also, the common pattern in the industry is reserve stock that vests over several years, and every year they "refresh" it. Treat that like income when you're considering whether to stay or go, don't fall into the trap of "but there's another $xx,xxx if I stay another year".

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Volmarias posted:

:catstare:

See if you can get a signing bonus or stock options (if they're public). Otherwise, if you're determined to go with them, see about additional vacation time.

Also, the common pattern in the industry is reserve stock that vests over several years, and every year they "refresh" it. Treat that like income when you're considering whether to stay or go, don't fall into the trap of "but there's another $xx,xxx if I stay another year".

My plan is currently to ask for exactly that! I think they have unlimited vacation (I just got the offer in writing in my email) and I'm reading the benefits now. So I plan to counter with signing/moving bonus, and if they are good with that, I'm going to sign with them (unless I get an offer from the company I interviewed with today, because they were ~amazing~ in every respect and I like what they do a lot). Also fun thing, both of these interviews were facilitated by fellow goons and I appreciate both y'all a lot and owe some drinks/coffees when I get in the city :D

Also, to glassdoor requests! I am thinking this will work. I'm re-writing what I wrote, so it'll be different words (thesaurus woo!) and moving the structure of what was there. I'll test it with some googles and then post it here, so everyone can experience the review but not in a "goon shows up where I live" way.

I'm a little sad to give up on NYC because the idea of there being ~so~ many lesbians around, but I know that dream will continue to exist (and maybe the L will be open again by that time ;) )

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Be careful with unlimited vacation, in practice it is often very limited by social pressure.

I asked one of my interviewers at a place with "unlimited vacation" how much people usually took and the answer was "most people take about 2 weeks" like that was a good answer.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Jose Valasquez posted:

Be careful with unlimited vacation, in practice it is often very limited by social pressure.

I asked one of my interviewers at a place with "unlimited vacation" how much people usually took and the answer was "most people take about 2 weeks" like that was a good answer.

Yeah : / I don't actually think of it as a great perk, because normally I'd get paid out on leaving a place because I hadn't used it all, but unlimited is the standard that I've seen with engineers/developers. I've also never actually been able to sucessfully negotiate, so do I just email back (if I go with this one company) and say, I've reviewed the offer and I'm prepared to accept if you were able to add a $5k signing bonus? Also what is reasonable for a signing bonus for a junior software engineer? I don't want them to rescind : (

Any warnings on posting the glassdoor thing? I've googled the re-write and none of it shows up, so I feel ok about it

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Shirec posted:

normally I'd get paid out on leaving a place because I hadn't used it all

This is not guaranteed in all 50 states in our glorious union :ssh:

quote:

a $5k signing bonus

Be sure to find out if there's a repayment schedule on a signing bonus! Companies can and will write a promissory note into a signing bonus so that you must work for them for X years or pay back the bonus upon separation, prorated. This isn't automatically a deal breaker but you should be aware of it if your active plan is to continue job-shopping and jump in fewer than X years.

quote:

Any warnings on posting the glassdoor thing? I've googled the re-write and none of it shows up, so I feel ok about it

I want to read it as much as the next poster but you really shouldn't post it so that it can be connected to you. Just because something doesn't show up in the Google index right now doesn't mean it won't tomorrow, or it might show up some other index, or some drat thing. Anyone can register an account to track your posts in the non-public parts of SA if they realize you post here at all. Schadenfreude is suuuuuper nice but realistically no good can come of it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Don't forget that this forum is public and probably indexed by Google.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Don't forget that this forum is public and probably indexed by Google.

If this is the worry, you can screenshot the re-write and that won't be indexed.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

There is a very high probability that Google analyzes and indexes text in images

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Don’t post the review. For fucks sake.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Virigoth posted:

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Virigoth posted:

As much as we'd all love to see the review, this is the correct advice.