Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

$38k a year for a Bachelor's Degree and multiple years of experience. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Speaking of programming, I am thinking about creating an AWS instance to pull data from the Steam API into a MongoDB database, export as an Excel file, and load it into my MSSQL database at work for a training exercise using SSIS. I know it seems kind of convoluted, but it’s really a resume builder. Is there anything I need to watch out for?

I know Cavern of COBOL exists, but I want this thread’s experience.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Bob Morales posted:

lol this job has been posted for like 6 months

Love to have a bachelor's degree and 3 years experience for possibly minimum wage (depending on where you live).

They at least gonna give you health insurance for that sweet gig?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Was looking for automation keyword bingo. Wasn’t disappointed.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

holy poo poo a drug test for that

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

holy poo poo a drug test for that

Welcome to America, where you get drug tested for janitorial positions.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Yet somehow in leadership everyone smokes pot and nobody gets tested whatsoever

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

My current work place did not drug test when I started, one of our clients now requires anyone working with them to pass a drug test upon initial employment, and they also wanted us to go back and drug test every current employee. There were some hints dropped that current employees may need to be drug tested, about a month prior to when it would happen, if it did. It ended up not happening, owner argued that if the client wanted all current employees tested, they could pay for it, but we will gladly pay for future employee tests, and the client did not want to pay for it. Obviously the real reason is that we would have had issues with somewhere around 60% of our employees.

v-- my almost first job would have been as a jewel bagger/cart pusher back in like 2000 for somewhere around $5/h, we got to a point where the manager wanted to drug test me and I just walked out right then; went and got a job serving at a banquet hall for $10 an hour, so much beer and pot was bought thanks to that.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I like how Target drug tested me but now that I have billions of dollars and decades of work hanging on me not blowing away the wrong directory nobody cares if I get high.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The only positions that need actual drug testing are those involving heavy machinery or transportation. Your average grocery bagger or computer janitor doesn't need to be tested.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Vargatron posted:

The only positions that need actual drug testing are those involving heavy machinery or transportation. Your average grocery bagger or computer janitor doesn't need to be tested.

I got drug tested when I started and the employee handbook mentioned "random drug tests for ALL employees"
Eventually I figured out that those random drug tests were literally for only the blue collar workers and I have never heard of anyone in the office getting tested, although a few probably should be.
Meanwhile, more than one blue collar employee got fired that I know of for smoking a joint on the weekend.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

"random" drug tests are anything but. An age old trick that companies use to avoid paying severance or unemployment benefits.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
"How expendable is each of my employees" is basically the #1 concern of every HR department

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I've worked at a gas distribution facility, the amount of people that should have been fired for coming to work so stoned and driving fork lifts around was insane; I watched a guy nod out driving a lift and smash into a bunch of tanks.

I should post in OSHA about the poo poo there, but I try not to think about it because the danger that facility represents to where I live and work is enormous; basically a few hundred thousand people are (unknowingly) relying on a bunch of heroin addicts to not blow them up.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Good luck hiring a bunch of tech folks who don't smoke weed. You'd be limiting your hiring pool by like 50%.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I try not to think about how dangerous the warehouse underneath my office is. There is a company in the same industry in town that had a recent ammonia outbreak and death, and I look at the giant ammonia tubes in the building and am always like "hm I could die today"

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

MF_James posted:

I've worked at a gas distribution facility, the amount of people that should have been fired for coming to work so stoned and driving fork lifts around was insane; I watched a guy nod out driving a lift and smash into a bunch of tanks.

I should post in OSHA about the poo poo there, but I try not to think about it because the danger that facility represents to where I live and work is enormous; basically a few hundred thousand people are (unknowingly) relying on a bunch of heroin addicts to not blow them up.

a dude i did warehouse work before i got into IT didn't drug test because "those who need to score need a job" although he also packed a cooler of beer for the 1.5 hour drive back home after being dehydrated clearing out abandoned leased warehouses illegal dump zones.

Internet Explorer posted:

Good luck hiring a bunch of tech folks who don't smoke weed. You'd be limiting your hiring pool by like 50%.

poor FBI

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

lol this job has been posted for like 6 months

How much you want to bet "maintains web sites as directed" means "you are the sole web developer and designer?"

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

We all know that job will be a living hell to whomever gets it.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Vargatron posted:

We all know that job will be a living hell to whomever gets it.

A fun game to play is to see what happens first, whether they get sick of waiting around and raise the salary to something reasonable, or they hire someone completely unqualified.

definitely the latter

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Thanatosian posted:

How much you want to bet "maintains web sites as directed" means "you are the sole web developer and designer?"

Well yeah. Someone is going to direct them to make it look great and set a target sales increase of 100%

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Isn't that classic H1B bait? 'Help, we can't find ANYONE to fill this position domestically!'

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

My new ops manager to me today: "If the company owner wanted me to wash his car or cut his grass, I'd do it. You have to be a team player." This after I hinted I was looking for a more explicit "when are you expected to answer the phone" policy. I know I'm being kind of a Pollyanna but you gotta draw the limit somewhere, right?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Your ops manage is just a carpet.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You're not being difficult. That person is an idiot.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

I mean what if I'm sitting drunk off my rear end and having fun with the wife? Am I supposed to answer the phone if I'm not on call?

This sure does sound like baby's first IT industry question.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Zapf Dingbat posted:

I mean what if I'm sitting drunk off my rear end and having fun with the wife? Am I supposed to answer the phone if I'm not on call?

Yeah, obviously the answer is yes.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zapf Dingbat posted:

You should always be available to answer the phone and deal with problems when you are on-call. Ideally, you should also be available to answer the calls from the on-call person when it's a significant, complex, undocumented issue dealing with a system that is your responsibility, with the caveat that these calls are very rare and that the other people in the rotation are similarly available for you when you have issues while you're on-call (I field 1-2 of these calls per month, and probably field about as many of them as the other people in my department, not counting patching night for my servers, which aren't my responsibility but I've explicitly told the patching guys to text me first thing if there are any issues bringing things back up).

If you are expected to be on-call 24/7, and were not advised of this when you were hired, you have two options: ignore it until you are explicitly told that that is the policy in writing, or renegotiate your salary on the basis of your new, increased job responsibilities (if you are advised of the 24/7 on-call in writing, go to step 2).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I spent 3 years as a contractor always on the verge of getting a FTE spot so I couldn’t smoke. To the extent I’m camping with a bunch of co-workers and they’re smoking and like’ “no no it’ll be any day now don’t risk it!”

I never get a FTE spot and go to another job where again I’m dangled a FTE spot and 18 months later I’m hired, have passed all my drug tests, and can finally kick back and enjoy my trip to Denver. And the loving poo poo does nothing for me.

I feel like this is some cat in the cradle poo poo and I put it off too long and I’m now being punished. Don’t be me. Enjoy your weed.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Krispy Wafer posted:

I spent 3 years as a contractor always on the verge of getting a FTE spot so I couldn’t smoke. To the extent I’m camping with a bunch of co-workers and they’re smoking and like’ “no no it’ll be any day now don’t risk it!”

I never get a FTE spot and go to another job where again I’m dangled a FTE spot and 18 months later I’m hired, have passed all my drug tests, and can finally kick back and enjoy my trip to Denver. And the loving poo poo does nothing for me.

I feel like this is some cat in the cradle poo poo and I put it off too long and I’m now being punished. Don’t be me. Enjoy your weed.

Haven't smoked in over 6 months :(

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Speaking of programming, I am thinking about creating an AWS instance to pull data from the Steam API into a MongoDB database, export as an Excel file, and load it into my MSSQL database at work for a training exercise using SSIS. I know it seems kind of convoluted, but it’s really a resume builder. Is there anything I need to watch out for?

I know Cavern of COBOL exists, but I want this thread’s experience.

What’s with the spreadsheet in the workflow?

Try pulling a JSON document to an S3 bucket, then use AWS Athena to parse the JSON into a CSV in S3. Pull your CSV to MSSQL using SSIS.

Then when you are done, pull your cloudtrail and S3 logs into MSSQL with SSIS for more fun and profit.

Pull all the things into MSSQL.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

24/7 on call is implied but not expressly written down. That is what I was pushing for when I got the mowing the lawn speech. I wasn't made aware of the gentlemens agreement when I was hired.

In fact, we have explicit on-call schedules which I already do set aside time for. And I'm also frigging help desk, so I'm not responsible for anything complex.

Zapf Dingbat fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jul 10, 2018

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You should under no circumstances be on call 24/7 as Helpdesk.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I alternate on-call weekends with another guy and get paid for it :smug:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
My place doesn't even have my phone number because gently caress you it's 2018 just email me. Can't be on call if they can't call!

I interviewed with a Google Voice throwaway before anyone asks.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 10, 2018

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My boss is the only person in the company that has my number. Anyone else can email me or call my desk phone, which forwards when appropriate.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zapf Dingbat posted:

24/7 on call is implied but not expressly written down. That is what I was pushing for when I got the mowing the lawn speech. I want made aware of the gentlemens agreement when I was hired.

In fact, we have explicit on-call schedules which I already do set aside time for. And I'm also frigging help desk, so I'm not responsible for anything complex.
You... you are helpdesk, but expected to be on-call 24/7?

May I suggest https://www.indeed.com? Or just look for some contract work. Your workplace is dysfunctional as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Agrikk posted:

What’s with the spreadsheet in the workflow?

Try pulling a JSON document to an S3 bucket, then use AWS Athena to parse the JSON into a CSV in S3. Pull your CSV to MSSQL using SSIS.

Then when you are done, pull your cloudtrail and S3 logs into MSSQL with SSIS for more fun and profit.

Pull all the things into MSSQL.

Yeah, I meant .csv when I said Excel file. My mistake, it's just that they open in Excel and one of the weekly scheduled report updates I do involves pulling from one poo poo system as an .xls and then opening it in Excel and saving as a .csv since the lovely system isn't capable of exporting .csv files. Then I put them in the import folder and upload them into the system we should be using for everything in the first place.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, I meant .csv when I said Excel file. My mistake, it's just that they open in Excel and one of the weekly scheduled report updates I do involves pulling from one poo poo system as an .xls and then opening it in Excel and saving as a .csv since the lovely system isn't capable of exporting .csv files. Then I put them in the import folder and upload them into the system we should be using for everything in the first place.

Automate that poo poo.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1858195/convert-xls-to-csv-on-command-line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar posted:

Finally just got something cool working.

Currently shovelling real time video in hybrid cloud setup through on-prem kubernetes.

Just had first prod issue at peak involving shovelling real time video in hybrid cloud setup through on-prem kubernetes

Milestones left and right.