Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ntan1 posted:

too late come on a weekday.

4th of july was great somehow because apparently all of the tourists wanted to watch fireworks and they are banned in yosemite.

Did no one else play Firewatch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

EasternBronze posted:

Olds are terrible everywhere but Korean olds are something else.

Yep. There's a rage in Korea that you don't see from other ones. I'm not sure what the deal is. It doesn't have any direct relationship to how much poo poo the country has been through, the most thoroughly/recently hosed up place I've been is Cambodia and people there are much nicer.

Korea is the only country I know of that claims to have a unique emotion about being constantly butthurt, though.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

underage at the vape shop posted:

He gave us a reason, he said they drive eachother nuts if they spend more than a few days a week together.

They can do the Frida Kahlo Diego Rivera-esque thing.

Live separately, in the same city, and come and go from time to time.

There's nothing that says their long term relationship has to be mundane and typical.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Cant imagine what its like to be shipped by my plunge blog subscribers

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

underage at the vape shop posted:

shipped by my plunge blog subscribers

Now that's a good username

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Grand Fromage posted:

Yep. There's a rage in Korea that you don't see from other ones. I'm not sure what the deal is. It doesn't have any direct relationship to how much poo poo the country has been through, the most thoroughly/recently hosed up place I've been is Cambodia and people there are much nicer.

Korea is the only country I know of that claims to have a unique emotion about being constantly butthurt, though.

Apparently Koreans have been aware of this rage long enough to theorize it may be a culture-bound syndrome.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

CIGNX posted:

Apparently Koreans have been aware of this rage long enough to theorize it may be a culture-bound syndrome.

Yeah, that's the unique emotion I was talking about. There's another one called jeong which seems to just be what we would consider friendship. The word they translate as friend is chingu, which is not at all what at least Americans mean--it basically is someone of your same age who you've grown up with and doesn't have the kind of emotional implications friend does.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

im not saying Haier should marry CG. I'm saying none of the trick fiveheads he swaps nudes with will ever own as hard as CG.
also I asked my Korean coworkers about the 'korea got dunked on' feeling and they said yeah and people express it by like typing on their keyboards really hard in the office lol

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, that's the unique emotion I was talking about. There's another one called jeong which seems to just be what we would consider friendship. The word they translate as friend is chingu, which is not at all what at least Americans mean--it basically is someone of your same age who you've grown up with and doesn't have the kind of emotional implications friend does.
Whoops, misread that last sentence. Somehow thought it was just you claiming they were uniquely butthurt.

I wonder if the butthurt is because the social rules and hierarchy are so much more obvious and exploitative in Korea. I haven't spent as much time there or among Koreans, but it seemed to me that people there are always concerned about how they are positioned in the hierarchy (usually age, sometimes job position), and once someone figures out they are the "top" person they will immediately demand the benefits and respect of being the most senior. It certainly happens in other Asian societies, but it seemed to me that people in Korea don't put on any sort of pretense of claiming that they're going to look out for or help their juniors and instead go directly to exploiting.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'd be curious to compare it to Japan, they have a similar kind of strict hierarchy. But I haven't worked there and am not sure if it's as viciously exploitative as the Korean one.

Makes great stories though. I have a few friends where the principal of their school literally made the Korean teachers work on his farm for free on the weekends. Your own personal serfs!

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

CIGNX posted:

You do not need fat face to have much face

What the absolute gently caress is up with this lady's face? Does she have some kind of medical problem or has she gotten way too much surgery chasing some Chinese ideal of beauty I don't understand?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I've never seen frontal bossing like that in a healthy adult. I'm hoping it's just bad surgery.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

I'd be curious to compare it to Japan, they have a similar kind of strict hierarchy. But I haven't worked there and am not sure if it's as viciously exploitative as the Korean one.

Makes great stories though. I have a few friends where the principal of their school literally made the Korean teachers work on his farm for free on the weekends. Your own personal serfs!

Paging EasternBronze he’s the only goon I can think of who’s actually multilingual and lived in japan or Korea.

The Koreans I met who are living in Japan have a difficult time adjusting how passive aggressive everyone is. While the hierarchy may be simple, perhaps people in japan just tip toe their way around things

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I’m lazy so I’m cross posting, suggestions for Netherlands activities for old retired couple welcome.

So my wife and her parents are doing a first time trip in Europe. Father in law went to Germany and Netherlands for work 30 years ago and mother in law went to France as well. My wife has never been to Europe and is basically “winging it”.

So far they landed in Frankfurt, went to the town of Mainz, and is slowly making their way up the Rhine and into the Netherlands. They stopped along Cochem and Luxembourg, Koln and now are in Amsterdam. As much as my wife loves english medieval history, she’s kind of done with castles, churches, and town squares. Which I’m kind of disappointed in her because we never get sick of Buddhist temples and we can track the change in religious art styles and Buddhist sects.

It’s only a week and parents in law (65 and 60 years old) only have 11 days left before going back to Frankfurt and flying to China. I’m going to meet up with her in London and spend a week there. After London we will pick up a goon buddy and do a road trip around midlands and England.

Anyways, my inlaws will be spending 5 days in Amsterdam, and 2 days in Rotterdam with 4 days to spare. I’m not Dutch and I’m racking my brain for stuff to do.

• See the Van Gogh museum near closing time
  • See the state museum in the morning.
  • Eat Dutch food, stampotten, pancakes, Harring, bitterballen, the works
  • Meet up with Dutch goon Jeoh
  • Giethoorn - they really wanna go there
  • Delft, go see the royal lineage and where William the orange was buried
  • The Hague, see how China lost its court ruling for South China Sea
  • that patch of windmills near Rotterdam, sorry I’m phone posting
  • some more museums
  • Gouda cheese market
  • maybe, just maybe share a space cake
  • the Jewish quarter in Amsterdam
  • I suppose if they still have time they can go to Antwerp or Belgium or even to Bruges
  • or back to Frankfurt
  • drat I realize that a good chunk of my time in the Netherlands is waiting outside jeoh’s house to open the door or I just run between cities each morning
  • love suggestions!

She’s loving Europe and eating bread everyday and getting happily fat. She also loves the Netherlands, there might not be the same number of prestigious sights compared to Paris or London, but the density is amazing and it’s easy to get around compare to Rhineland. She’s also thrown off how you can get different country or small town vibes once you cross the border.

Man I miss Europe and wish I can watch the World Cup there. Except being in England, god english football fans are trash

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

caberham posted:

english football fans are trash

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Geisladisk posted:

What the absolute gently caress is up with this lady's face? Does she have some kind of medical problem or has she gotten way too much surgery chasing some Chinese ideal of beauty I don't understand?

Apparently it's all plastic surgery, so I guess this is a Jocelyn Wildenstein with Chinese Characteristics. She goes by the handle 桃花宝宝李美人 but is more famously known as 鱼精女, or the fish lady.

https://star.ettoday.net/news/724309

I have lovely Chinese, so here's are some choice quotes courtesy of Google translate

quote:

She does not shy away from revealing that "almost every month, plastic surgery, nose, and The tissue may have been necrotic, but I still want to reshape."
In the real life, the peach baby has the same long-haired hair and pointed chin as the general mainland net beauty, but the forehead of the hyper-excited convex makes the netizen stunned, "Is there a tumor on the head?", "Is the forehead to be blasted?", It is a birthday fish!"

Allegedly, this is a picture of her part-way through her "reshaping"

edit: lol at the watermark asking "why?"

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
“Fish spirit/demon lady”

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
god dammit

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

caberham posted:

I’m lazy so I’m cross posting, suggestions for Netherlands activities for old retired couple welcome.

So my wife and her parents are doing a first time trip in Europe. Father in law went to Germany and Netherlands for work 30 years ago and mother in law went to France as well. My wife has never been to Europe and is basically “winging it”.

So far they landed in Frankfurt, went to the town of Mainz, and is slowly making their way up the Rhine and into the Netherlands. They stopped along Cochem and Luxembourg, Koln and now are in Amsterdam. As much as my wife loves english medieval history, she’s kind of done with castles, churches, and town squares. Which I’m kind of disappointed in her because we never get sick of Buddhist temples and we can track the change in religious art styles and Buddhist sects.

It’s only a week and parents in law (65 and 60 years old) only have 11 days left before going back to Frankfurt and flying to China. I’m going to meet up with her in London and spend a week there. After London we will pick up a goon buddy and do a road trip around midlands and England.

Anyways, my inlaws will be spending 5 days in Amsterdam, and 2 days in Rotterdam with 4 days to spare. I’m not Dutch and I’m racking my brain for stuff to do.

• See the Van Gogh museum near closing time
  • See the state museum in the morning.
  • Eat Dutch food, stampotten, pancakes, Harring, bitterballen, the works
  • Meet up with Dutch goon Jeoh
  • Giethoorn - they really wanna go there
  • Delft, go see the royal lineage and where William the orange was buried
  • The Hague, see how China lost its court ruling for South China Sea
  • that patch of windmills near Rotterdam, sorry I’m phone posting
  • some more museums
  • Gouda cheese market
  • maybe, just maybe share a space cake
  • the Jewish quarter in Amsterdam
  • I suppose if they still have time they can go to Antwerp or Belgium or even to Bruges
  • or back to Frankfurt
  • drat I realize that a good chunk of my time in the Netherlands is waiting outside jeoh’s house to open the door or I just run between cities each morning
  • love suggestions!

She’s loving Europe and eating bread everyday and getting happily fat. She also loves the Netherlands, there might not be the same number of prestigious sights compared to Paris or London, but the density is amazing and it’s easy to get around compare to Rhineland. She’s also thrown off how you can get different country or small town vibes once you cross the border.

Man I miss Europe and wish I can watch the World Cup there. Except being in England, god english football fans are trash

Buy weed

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Just chill in the park, have a picnic, use airbnb experiences to cook dinner with some lovely retired couple. Don't gotta go to museums every day.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
My father in law

35 years ago? on a work training trip for some machinery.

My father in law's father was from Guizhou and he served some local militia/guerrilla fighting the Japanese and then got recruited by the KMT. He basically got rotated into Hangzhou, the famous provincial capital of Zhejiang and WEST LAKE. It was there where he met his wife and settled down. He managed to get a new job being some sort of KMT government official/army affiliated job and in Hangzhou my father in law was born. Life seemed ok and steady until 1949 when the reds came around, life kind of turned around. Being remnant KMT scum in the government's eyes, grand father in law lost his job and had reduced work given. Reduced work meant reduced rations so their father in law had a tougher upbringing compared to other kids. I don't he still manage to be so freaking tall at six foot one and not being a northerner. It was more out of survival that he managed to get into the CCP, electing himself to work in the country side during the cultural revolution - it's hard work but hey there's food! After basic high school, like everyone back then, he had some assigned work post and it was maintaining transmission towers. University was out of reach unless you were super smart. Work was something like this everday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbEqnLjHyf8

The work environment was like broke back mountain where a mule comes in every other day delivering meals for him and his partner. As far as I know, holidays were banked and he worked 7 days a week. On the bright side, he got super buff and had a six pack from climbing those towers everyday, I need to find that photo somewhere.

Work was dangerous and he didn't want to do that job for the rest of his life so he managed to enroll himself in one of those television universities. Sometime in modern Chinese history, a whole bunch of academics and teachers just disappeared and China severely lacked educators. So in comes the television university! Basically you sit in a room and watch VHS or some television for your classes - there's a lecturer where you can ask questions after school but you are pretty much on your own. If you did manage to get a bachelor's, then you could move to a better job! Father in law studied a few different engineering subjects and basic English lessons, the greatest thing about television university was meeting my Mother in law and getting married. Mother in law had an interesting past as well, she was actually top student but denied getting into medical school because her dad worked in Shanghai as the Chief of Customs House. Mother in law was relegated to being an assistant kindergarten teacher and she wanted out. They both studied night school in the television university and fell in love over studying and having a similar upbringing - getting shafted by the CCP.

Even their old love letters couldn't be anything too expressive - "Hello, it's cold, I knitted you a scarf, LONG LIVE CHAIRMAN MAO". Mother in law wouldn't want to join the CCP, so she is part of the Chinese democratic party or some mickey mouse minority party. During her annual party dinners, an angry old men gets to be really drunk and vent at the current administration. It's a way to let off steam and everyone would just nod and acknowledge him. Man Hong Kong is going to be like this one day. Anyways, back to father in law.

Father in law got a job working at a wall paper factory as an engineer. It was a better job than climbing up transmission towers and if he worked long enough in the factory he could have been eligible for a home. His company purchased some machinery in the late 70's/early 80's from Germany and was sent to europe for training!

He actually had to save 4 months pay for the suit because his company only paid for the white shirt. Wearing a suit was mandatory he was representing the country, I guess that's why you still some see old mainland geezer wearing tacky suits. His team leader took a 10% cut in living expenses but the currency exchange back then was extremely favorable. So everyone was extremely frugal just subsisted on bread, fruit, or whatever take out they can get when their european customers are treating them for dinner. His biggest cultural shock was having dinner in some remote prestigious farm house. He thought he would be having meat or some sort of fancy dishes but white asparagus came out he was shocked. It was tasty, but he didn't know back then how hard or special they were. It was only 10 years later, that China started importing western asparagus and he was so proud of knowing what it was.

After the European trip, he became a bit of a westernphile - he's a engineering gadget dad and like his other soviet counterparts he was very fascinated with things coming out of the modern world. He would be the first in the neighborhood to buy cassette tapes, film cameras and all sorts of gizmo. Heck, nowadays he's an online shopping wizard and deal hunter. But he's still kind of stubborn and like me is the king of half assed bullshit at times. He wants to be worldly, but just isn't worldly enough. In a way it's bit of a tuhao and we all just roll our eyes. I see him like how I see my mom, quite knowledgeable for someone who grew up in that age.

He was so enamored with the west that he actually took his family in the early 90's on an overnight train trip, sleeping in some relative's attic to eat at a KFC. He spent half a month savings for the whole trip!

But life was not steady because China was opening up to the world and state factories were closing left and right. He got laid off and became an engineering designer for hotels. That was an interesting job, he had visit all sorts of hotels and property developers, meet different designers and builders from all over the world and he became a weaboo because Japan is too awesome in engineering. He also developed a habit of over preparing for traveling and insists on being in the airport/train station 4 hours before take off time. So that means leaving the house 6 to 8 hours. I think Chinese work travel scarred him, I wouldn't blame him because road infrastructure back then was ultra ultra poo poo. But because of his age, he knows he's older so he's overcompensating. I never tell him my departure time. Or I just book an airport hotel the night before and we all just relax.

The pay during the 90's was 350 RMB a month. Money was always kind of tight in the household, they had lousy stock investing and relied on the state pension, and father in law was always chasing the gadget dream. Funny enough, when he retired in 2010 his pay check was only 6000 RMB a month but he got hired back as a consultant to work in the weekends and he earned 100,000 a month. He didn't last too long because he was getting old from traveling for work all the time, plus he had to work consecutive weekends for projects and all. But hey it was a good retiring nest egg. I'm quite proud that he didn't travel on some hectic bus tour when he spent 35 days in Canada and USA. He was wife mother in law and took grey hound buses, and insisted on taking Canadian and American trains :laffo:

So here he is, back in Europe. He's traveling business class on Emirates and is having a fun time. My wife is too embarrassed that he's trying to engage in small talk with everyone like he's traveling around America. Europeans aren't like that :ohdear:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
It is a birthday fish!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

caberham posted:

My father in law

My father in law's father was from Guizhou and he served some local militia/guerrilla fighting the Japanese and then got recruited by the KMT. He basically got rotated into Hangzhou, the famous provincial capital of Zhejiang and WEST LAKE. It was there where he met his wife and settled down. He managed to get a new job being some sort of KMT government official/army affiliated job and in Hangzhou my father in law was born. Life seemed ok and steady until 1949 when the reds came around, life kind of turned around. Being remnant KMT scum in the government's eyes, grand father in law lost his job and had reduced work given. Reduced work meant reduced rations so their father in law had a tougher upbringing compared to other kids. I don't he still manage to be so freaking tall at six foot one and not being a northerner. It was more out of survival that he managed to get into the CCP, electing himself to work in the country side during the cultural revolution - it's hard work but hey there's food! After basic high school, like everyone back then, he had some assigned work post and it was maintaining transmission towers. University was out of reach unless you were super smart. Work was something like this everday

The work environment was like broke back mountain where a mule comes in every other day delivering meals for him and his partner. As far as I know, holidays were banked and he worked 7 days a week. On the bright side, he got super buff and had a six pack from climbing those towers everyday, I need to find that photo somewhere.

Work was dangerous and he didn't want to do that job for the rest of his life so he managed to enroll himself in one of those television universities. Sometime in modern Chinese history, a whole bunch of academics and teachers just disappeared and China severely lacked educators. So in comes the television university! Basically you sit in a room and watch VHS or some television for your classes - there's a lecturer where you can ask questions after school but you are pretty much on your own. If you did manage to get a bachelor's, then you could move to a better job! Father in law studied a few different engineering subjects and basic English lessons, the greatest thing about television university was meeting my Mother in law and getting married. Mother in law had an interesting past as well, she was actually top student but denied getting into medical school because her dad worked in Shanghai as the Chief of Customs House. Mother in law was relegated to being an assistant kindergarten teacher and she wanted out. They both studied night school in the television university and fell in love over studying and having a similar upbringing - getting shafted by the CCP.

Even their old love letters couldn't be anything too expressive - "Hello, it's cold, I knitted you a scarf, LONG LIVE CHAIRMAN MAO". Mother in law wouldn't want to join the CCP, so she is part of the Chinese democratic party or some mickey mouse minority party. During her annual party dinners, an angry old men gets to be really drunk and vent at the current administration. It's a way to let off steam and everyone would just nod and acknowledge him. Man Hong Kong is going to be like this one day. Anyways, back to father in law.

Father in law got a job working at a wall paper factory as an engineer. It was a better job than climbing up transmission towers and if he worked long enough in the factory he could have been eligible for a home. His company purchased some machinery in the late 70's/early 80's from Germany and was sent to europe for training!

He actually had to save 4 months pay for the suit because his company only paid for the white shirt. Wearing a suit was mandatory he was representing the country, I guess that's why you still some see old mainland geezer wearing tacky suits. His team leader took a 10% cut in living expenses but the currency exchange back then was extremely favorable. So everyone was extremely frugal just subsisted on bread, fruit, or whatever take out they can get when their european customers are treating them for dinner. His biggest cultural shock was having dinner in some remote prestigious farm house. He thought he would be having meat or some sort of fancy dishes but white asparagus came out he was shocked. It was tasty, but he didn't know back then how hard or special they were. It was only 10 years later, that China started importing western asparagus and he was so proud of knowing what it was.

After the European trip, he became a bit of a westernphile - he's a engineering gadget dad and like his other soviet counterparts he was very fascinated with things coming out of the modern world. He would be the first in the neighborhood to buy cassette tapes, film cameras and all sorts of gizmo. Heck, nowadays he's an online shopping wizard and deal hunter. But he's still kind of stubborn and like me is the king of half assed bullshit at times. He wants to be worldly, but just isn't worldly enough. In a way it's bit of a tuhao and we all just roll our eyes. I see him like how I see my mom, quite knowledgeable for someone who grew up in that age.

He was so enamored with the west that he actually took his family in the early 90's on an overnight train trip, sleeping in some relative's attic to eat at a KFC. He spent half a month savings for the whole trip!

But life was not steady because China was opening up to the world and state factories were closing left and right. He got laid off and became an engineering designer for hotels. That was an interesting job, he had visit all sorts of hotels and property developers, meet different designers and builders from all over the world and he became a weaboo because Japan is too awesome in engineering. He also developed a habit of over preparing for traveling and insists on being in the airport/train station 4 hours before take off time. So that means leaving the house 6 to 8 hours. I think Chinese work travel scarred him, I wouldn't blame him because road infrastructure back then was ultra ultra poo poo. But because of his age, he knows he's older so he's overcompensating. I never tell him my departure time. Or I just book an airport hotel the night before and we all just relax.

The pay during the 90's was 350 RMB a month. Money was always kind of tight in the household, they had lousy stock investing and relied on the state pension, and father in law was always chasing the gadget dream. Funny enough, when he retired in 2010 his pay check was only 6000 RMB a month but he got hired back as a consultant to work in the weekends and he earned 100,000 a month. He didn't last too long because he was getting old from traveling for work all the time, plus he had to work consecutive weekends for projects and all. But hey it was a good retiring nest egg. I'm quite proud that he didn't travel on some hectic bus tour when he spent 35 days in Canada and USA. He was wife mother in law and took grey hound buses, and insisted on taking Canadian and American trains :laffo:

So here he is, back in Europe. He's traveling business class on Emirates and is having a fun time. My wife is too embarrassed that he's trying to engage in small talk with everyone like he's traveling around America. Europeans aren't like that :ohdear:

This is great :3:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

caberham posted:

My father in law

What a wonderful story, thank you

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

caberham posted:

Hello, it's cold, I knitted you a scarf, LONG LIVE CHAIRMAN MAO

New thread title

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

CIGNX posted:

Sounds like they make it a really miserable place for no good reason.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I used to live near a whole bunch of Korean expats here in Australia and what they told me was that working in Australia is like a holiday compared to Korea.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah. I like living in Korea but it has the most awful working environment I've ever seen. And the places I worked weren't even that bad, relatively speaking. To have a decent life there you have to finangle some way to not work in a Korean setting, like a international school or something.

An example of the not that bad: where I worked I was able to take my five vacation days a year as weekdays, giving me nine days in a row off, while many places will give you "five" vacation days--Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. Presuming they even allow that instead of you getting one day every two months or something. I was also allowed to take a sick day when I was having diarrhea and vomiting simultaneously, whereas usually you'd have to come in. I was so sick I was even sent home once, which is unheard of.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 10, 2018

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Man, here companies actively tell us to not come in if we're sick because we'll get nothing done and make everyone else sick as well.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Public school is very generous and you get three sick days a year.

Most Korean employees get nothing done the majority of the time. I think the only OECD country with lower worker productivity is Japan. Both countries have the same thing where you have to be at work for extremely long hours, but while you're there you don't actually do much of anything.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

GotLag posted:

Man, here companies actively tell us to not come in if we're sick because we'll get nothing done and make everyone else sick as well.

If everyone sick is made to come to work you still have salarymen in seats

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Also you're making this weird statement that people get sick from what... passing around germs or something? Everyone knows you get sick from wind, or fans, or having the windows closed, or being a bad person, or...

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Public school is very generous and you get three sick days a year.

My contract weirdly specified eleven sick days :lol:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

caberham posted:

My father in law

This is a beautiful write up. Thank you :waycool:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Grand Fromage posted:

Also you're making this weird statement that people get sick from what... passing around germs or something? Everyone knows you get sick from wind, or fans, or having the windows closed, or being a bad person, or...

I thought it was kimchi deficiency

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

My contract weirdly specified eleven sick days :lol:

Maybe it was just three days before you had to bring a doctor's note, or three paid ones? I don't remember.

My contract in China, by contrast, I think specifies sick days somewhere in it but nobody gives a gently caress and I just tell them I'm sick and they say okay get better soon.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
It's always important when you talk about the productivity thing to give the caveat that not every company is like that at all, though there are certainly some that are.

Just jump on the trains at ~5--7pm. There's literally millions of people in suits who are recognizably on their way home. Laypeople often hear these horror stories of Japan and its working hours and think that *literally every company* is like that, because they're unable to process Japan as huge country full of all sorts of varieties of people and situations, so it's worth it to be careful how you present that.

Indeed often enough you get plenty of companies in the US where people are doing similar hours and similarly virtually no paid vacation, and can also get fired for no reason at the drop of hat, whereas in Japan if you're a salaried worker (seishain) it's legally *very* difficult to fire you.

This is not to say that Japan doesn't have a lot of terrible inefficiency and major issues with labor, but people really rarely give a full accounting of the pros and cons of Japanese companies. If you get a seishain position (noting that not all workers are seishain) in Japan, even a bad one, you're basically guaranteed a salary, cannot get fired without some serious poo poo happening, have cheap and good healthcare, and are guaranteed days off, as well as a lot of holidays (there's sometimes pressure to not take paid holidays, but you can tell them to stuff it and at least not get fired for it).

Whereas in the US you can have a salaried position, have healthcare that will be expensive and still gently caress you for the rest of your life if something happens, and could get fired at the drop of a hat in most circumstances. US labor laws are generally real garbage.

There's issues with both sides, and there's also plenty of awesome jobs in Japan too with great hours and benefits and the like.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Maybe it was just three days before you had to bring a doctor's note, or three paid ones? I don't remember.

My contract in China, by contrast, I think specifies sick days somewhere in it but nobody gives a gently caress and I just tell them I'm sick and they say okay get better soon.

Three days off and you need a doctor's note, unless you come back from Cambodia with giardia and your principal is convinced you have bird flu and makes you stay home all week.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Also re: Korea

Another thing to keep in mind is that for all the jokes about Japan's somewhat high suicide rate, Korea's suicide rate is literally ~50% higher than Japan's. Depending upon your data source it varies but it's usually the highest for industrialized nations by a fair bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Three days off and you need a doctor's note, unless you come back from Cambodia with giardia and your principal is convinced you have bird flu and makes you stay home all week.

I'd rather be at work than have giardia.

LimburgLimbo posted:

Also re: Korea

Another thing to keep in mind is that for all the jokes about Japan's somewhat high suicide rate, Korea's suicide rate is literally ~50% higher than Japan's. Depending upon your data source it varies but it's usually the highest for industrialized nations by a fair bit.

Hey now I think Lithuania took the #1 suicide rate prize from Korea.

There's a huge suicide wave every year when results come back from the high school graduation exams, since if you don't do well you can't get into the three universities Koreans consider good and then your life is simply over. It's hosed up.

E: SK is tenth in suicide, it seems. Lithuania is higher. Japan is 26, US is 48. Guyana is first. China claims to be 115 but the statistics are considered to be bullshit, surprise surprise. But it does seem to be lower than Korea or Japan.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 10, 2018

• Locked thread