Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Medullah posted:

My biggest problem with pretty much any cloud storage service is there's no local syncing. Got a new laptop, if I want to have all 100 gigs of stuff in my folder, I have to download it and eat up my bandwidth.

Dropbox doesn’t do that. I just rebuilt a rig three times, and each one can just drop the Dropbox folder into Users and watch it index it all in a couple minutes.

But, yeah, the situation you describe would suck. Which service?

Edit: Darn, new page

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Tapedump posted:

Dropbox doesn’t do that. I just rebuilt a rig three times, and each one can just drop the Dropbox folder into Users and watch it index it all in a couple minutes.

Yeah I've done that with Dropbox and it was fine

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Medullah posted:

My biggest problem with pretty much any cloud storage service is there's no local syncing. Got a new laptop, if I want to have all 100 gigs of stuff in my folder, I have to download it and eat up my bandwidth. Can't even throw it on a thumb drive and copy it the old fashioned way. Learned that the hard way when it uploaded everything again so I had doubles of everything.

Dropbox lets you do that.
E: a new page huh

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
gently caress, is it a new page?

I like onedrive but I don't like it being baked in either. Blank OS is the dream, everyone wants it, just give it to us and stop making me create the image myself, thanks!

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Dropbox does LAN sync as well.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Dedup should be a standard feature for a cloud provider. When I hooked up my OneDrive after a reformat, I just pointed it to the folder I had copied from before and it knew which files were new, and only downloaded those. Same with Mega. Don't know if Google Drive or Dropbox has a problem with that.

EDIT: I guess Dropbox doesn't have a problem with that :hurr:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Tapedump posted:

I guess last time I tried it with Dropbox was a while ago. This was OneDrive and Google Drive.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Medullah posted:

My biggest problem with pretty much any cloud storage service is there's no local syncing. Got a new laptop, if I want to have all 100 gigs of stuff in my folder, I have to download it and eat up my bandwidth. Can't even throw it on a thumb drive and copy it the old fashioned way. Learned that the hard way when it uploaded everything again so I had doubles of everything.

OneDrive and any semi-current Windows 10 build will allow you to sync placeholders for your cloud data which then gets downloaded on demand, saving you both bandwidth and space if you have a lot of files you store but don't often access. IIRC it also will match the hashes of your files so if you're setting up a second machine and copy all your files from your OneDrive folder on your first machine across, it realises the files are the same and skips downloading (or uploading) them if you're not doing the on-demand thing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Ugh, now the Spotify desktop application is loving with the DWM in Windows 10, at least with NVidia drivers. Going to testufo.com, everything is 144fps, with Chrome in background and any other application in foreground. Except Spotify, then the DWM drops to 42fps for whatever loving reason, as evidenced by testufo.com dropping in framerate, too.

--edit: Nevermind, it's triggering windowed G-Sync for whatever reason.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 9, 2018

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

Ugh, now the Spotify desktop application is loving with the DWM in Windows 10, at least with NVidia drivers. Going to testufo.com, everything is 144fps, with Chrome in background and any other application in foreground. Except Spotify, then the DWM drops to 42fps for whatever loving reason, as evidenced by testufo.com dropping in framerate, too.

--edit: Nevermind, it's triggering windowed G-Sync for whatever reason.

this was happening to me on more than a few apps including a WPF app I was developing, I'm not sure why or what was happening so I ended up disabling windowed G-Sync altogether and running my games in full screen.

Fano fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 9, 2018

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yeah. I'm not sure why these apps even feel like Vsync'ing. Spotify is a Chromium web app, that doesn't play any video. There's zero need for syncing (there's nothing that needs to be perceived smooth). Chrome itself doesn't do it either, so what the hell.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You can get video ads in the Spotify desktop app, so that might be why. I don't know if you have premium, which would explain why you wouldn't see any.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Some people report disabling hardware accelleration (with GPU) fixed it. Might be worth trying.

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
I upgraded my laptop and desktop both windows 10 Pro to the April 1803 update and now I can't remote from the desktop to the laptop anymore. I just get a " internal error has occurred" when trying to remote from desktop to laptop. I know that the april update killed homegroup but did they change some other network settings as well that I need to check?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've got a weird issue where one users recent items isn't updating across some programs but will for others (outlook doesn't work, excel does, indesign does but lightbox doesn't).

What the gently caress, how does this even break like that?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Zadda posted:

I upgraded my laptop and desktop both windows 10 Pro to the April 1803 update and now I can't remote from the desktop to the laptop anymore.
Are both machines fully patched?

I don’t think you’re dealing with something I saw a week ago, but it surprised me.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4295591/credssp-encryption-oracle-remediation-error-when-to-rdp-to-azure-vm

Not an “internal error occurred”, but.. maybe, tangentially related?

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah. I'm not sure why these apps even feel like Vsync'ing. Spotify is a Chromium web app, that doesn't play any video. There's zero need for syncing (there's nothing that needs to be perceived smooth). Chrome itself doesn't do it either, so what the hell.

The Spotify Windows client is a piece of poo poo that installs itself to your Appdata folder instead of Program Files. There's no telling what other boneheaded crap is in its code.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Installing to appdata is the correct behaviour for user-context applications.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
They're not supposed to put the executable in Program Files and a separate set of settings in each user profile's AppData?

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin

Tapedump posted:

Are both machines fully patched?

I don’t think you’re dealing with something I saw a week ago, but it surprised me.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4295591/credssp-encryption-oracle-remediation-error-when-to-rdp-to-azure-vm

Not an “internal error occurred”, but.. maybe, tangentially related?

They both are up to date with last june's patch tuesday.

I'll check that link thanks!

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
am i reading this right? you cant alter windows update settings without the gpedit.msc, and that only comes with pro? it seems like it can be activated but all i'm finding are sketchy programs to do it

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

A good poster posted:

They're not supposed to put the executable in Program Files and a separate set of settings in each user profile's AppData?
Microsoft supports two contexts for installing programs - machine or user. If it's a machine install then it goes in Program Files, puts separate settings in each user's profile, their Start Menus, hooks into the Program Files list etc. A user install doesn't do any of that - the program exists only within their profile with the executable etc going in appdata/local and settings into appdata/roaming and, advantageously, because of this narrow scope it also doesn't require any kind of elevation privileges with the restriction that it only exists for that login and any other user wanting to use it has to install their own version to their own profile.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
Creators Update messed up the sound card driver for my desktop, and now whatever the recent large update that just went through took out my laptop's sound card. Pwned again by Microsoft, and then they teabagged me by adding a shortcut to Edge browser on my desktop. gently caress.

e: removing/reinstalling the sound card driver isn't working this time either.

AgentCow007 fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 11, 2018

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Windows updates always reset your default playback/recording devices for some reason, can you not change them back?

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

ufarn posted:

Windows updates always reset your default playback/recording devices for some reason, can you not change them back?

No, the sound settings says "No Audio Output Device is installed." The "Realtek HW Audio Codec" in Device Manager says "This device cannot start (Code 10)." I've tried reinstalling the driver several times after uninstalling it through Device Manager or Programs and Features, and the driver installer itself also uninstalls the existing driver and reboots before installing itself... but I get the same error every time. I noticed when I uninstall from Device Manager, it comes back immediately, so maybe Windows is overriding it?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Relin posted:

am i reading this right? you cant alter windows update settings without the gpedit.msc, and that only comes with pro? it seems like it can be activated but all i'm finding are sketchy programs to do it

There are some settings you can change in Home versions, but getting it back to where it was before (notify you if available, don't download/install until you say so) is only Pro and Enterprise.

One setting that I found after some googling is to (supposedly) disable driver updates: run regedit and go here - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings. Change "ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate" from 0 to 1. This is available in all versions. I say "supposedly" because I set this flag on my recent reformat before being connected to any network, and once I was online, Update gave me an Intel Management Engine driver anyway (and it wasn't even the latest version from their catalog, haha). As long as it doesn't touch my video, audio, chipset, NVMe, or network drivers, I'm good though.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 11, 2018

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

Zadda posted:

They both are up to date with last june's patch tuesday.

I'll check that link thanks!

I was seeing this error when the host machine was set to require Network Level Authentication but the client wasn't using it. On the host, roll the RDP settings back to the middle one and try again.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Ofecks posted:

There are some settings you can change in Home versions, but getting it back to where it was before (notify you if available, don't download/install until you say so) is only Pro and Enterprise.

One setting that I found after some googling is to (supposedly) disable driver updates: run regedit and go here - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings. Change "ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate" from 0 to 1. This is available in all versions. I say "supposedly" because I set this flag on my recent reformat before being connected to any network, and once I was online, Update gave me an Intel Management Engine driver anyway (and it wasn't even the latest version from their catalog, haha). As long as it doesn't touch my video, audio, chipset, NVMe, or network drivers, I'm good though.
ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate pertains specifically to drivers in QualityUpdates. You would still receive drivers as part of security, critical and feature updates.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
So I have had to disable fast boot (wtf is even the point of this when I have a Samsung 850 evo as my boot drive?? Boots in 2 seconds either way) for my laptop after every update otherwise using shutdown will leave my laptop without any juice next boot (yet another great idea MS).

That by itself is annoying but at least I can fix it. Now with the latest updates I am getting the no juice on the next boot problem but now I can't find any options for fast boot and hibernate is disabled. Is there a workaround for this? Is anyone else dealing with this or is it my imagination?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I really like using:
code:
Switch virtual desktop: WIN + CTRL + LEFT or RIGHT

mystes
May 31, 2006

I wish it didn't simultaneously switch both monitors when you have two monitors.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
okay I don't know if this is a Windows 10 problem or a hardware issue but here goes.

I bought a HORI racing wheel for my PC which specifies it is compatible, and there are a whole bunch of video reviews by people using the wheel on their PC so I don't have a reason to believe I have the wrong wheel.

It doesn't show up as a controller in device manager. It looks like a generic boxy looking placeholder icon. Nothing is recognizing it as a controller.

Here's why I'm posting in here: if I right-click on the device manager icon and go to troubleshoot, the only resolution it offers is plugging the device into a usb 2.0 slot. At first it wasn't. I plugged it into USB 3 like I do everything I buy that uses a USB slot in 2018. I tried unplugging the wheel, removing the device in device manager, then restarting my PC with the wheel being plugged into the usb 2 slot. Still nothing. Troubleshoot still recommends trying a usb 2 slot because this device may not work with usb 3. =/

Is the wheel defective or is this some lovely windows issue that I've never run into?

I've even tried a controller remapping program (Xboxce) which won't even list the device as being plugged in.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
We won't know if the wheel is defective unless you try it on another pc.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I found some possible solutions that I'll try out when I get home. I'll also try setting it up on my wife's PC which is still on windows 8 or something.

I'm more interested in whether this issue (the USB conflict) is something any of you have heard of happening on Win 10. I haven't had this issue on any PC in the past, regardless of Windows version. Before Windows 10 I just assumed that if something didn't work right away there was probably a driver for it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
That really sounds like a hardware issue. Every USB wheel I've ever used has showed up as a generic HID game controller before driver installation, and in that state should still work at a basic level, just usually without force feedback and maybe with games assuming it's a gamepad rather than a wheel.

It could be one of those screwball devices that doesn't support any standard profiles and only works with its drivers installed, but it sounds like Windows isn't even able to initialize it as a USB device rather than a lack of software support.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

wolrah posted:

That really sounds like a hardware issue. Every USB wheel I've ever used has showed up as a generic HID game controller before driver installation, and in that state should still work at a basic level, just usually without force feedback and maybe with games assuming it's a gamepad rather than a wheel.

Yes, exactly this. There was no initial setup that a new hardware device generally goes through where at the very least you see a notification in the tray stating that it's installing something.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
If Windows can't figure out what drivers it needs and manually installing the drivers doesn't help, it's almost assuredly defective.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Look in Device Manager whether it pops up as anything at all. If it doesn't, something is wrong with the device, the cable, or the USB controller (or just single port) in the computer.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

mystes posted:

I wish it didn't simultaneously switch both monitors when you have two monitors.

After using the Mac implementation(Mission Control/Spaces) where each monitor has it's own virtual desktop the Windows 10 version is pure rubbish. I use it at home to dump my work Slack onto a different desktop so I don't have to look at it, but otherwise it sucks because I only want to context switch one monitor not both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

nielsm posted:

Look in Device Manager whether it pops up as anything at all. If it doesn't, something is wrong with the device, the cable, or the USB controller (or just single port) in the computer.

Yeah, I'm going to do that when I get home.

In Devices and Printers or whatever Win 10 calls it, this is the icon the wheel was showing up with:

I just wanted to play GTA V in VR while actually driving with a steering wheel instead of controller =/