Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

They still making Bandette? it's not Indiana Jones, but it's very action/adventure swashbuckler stuff and a lot of fun. No superheroes.

Yeah a couple issues came out this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

Athena Voltaire is a series I always mean to check out and it looks like it's that exact vibe, but I can't vouch for it's quality.

I've seen that one. Haven't read it either myself.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for non-superhero "adventure" type stories? Not necessarily in a "period" setting like Indiana Jones, but that would be a potential bonus since it aligns with my interests. Something where the hero is a sort of globetrotting sort, like a spy or a journalist or a researcher, who travels to exotic locations where they thwart villains and solve mysteries, that sort of thing.

I know there are European comics like Modesty Blaise and Tintin that are all over this, so I'm happy to take whatever, just so long as it's something I can get hold of (ideally legally).

Danger Girl (the cheesecake art may be a turn-off for some, but it's a cross between James Bond, G.I. Joe, and Indiana Jones)
High Roads (an early '00s Wildstorm miniseries you could probably pick up for super-cheap)
Five Ghosts (supernatural elements, but not a superhero story)
Mind MGMT (more of a conspiracy thriller, but I think you'd dig it)
Archer and Armstrong (kinda sorta)

Is Hellboy too obvious, or too supernatural? You'd think there would be more stuff like this.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Oh wait, Queen and Country is a good spy book, it's not light hearted like the other stuff mentioned though.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Velvet is cold war spy stuff, although I don't know if I'd call it adventures (similar to Q&C).

Prince Valient?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Might I suggest...manga?

Mushishi is about a wandering researcher who is investigating "Mushi" around the world; unfortunately very little is know about what they really are, as they have many forms and might mimic many things.

Kino's Journey/Kino No Tabi is about a girl traveling a mysterious world with an AI motorcycle, with a rule of staying only 3 days and 2 nights in each place.

Both of them are episodic "story of the week" format, with Mushishi being more focused on the Mushis and with Kino on what mystery the current place she is staying at has. There's no big bad or saving the world plot, just people and their secrets.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for non-superhero "adventure" type stories? Not necessarily in a "period" setting like Indiana Jones, but that would be a potential bonus since it aligns with my interests. Something where the hero is a sort of globetrotting sort, like a spy or a journalist or a researcher, who travels to exotic locations where they thwart villains and solve mysteries, that sort of thing.

Corto Maltese

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Spy Seal works.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Can someone recommend me a weighty tome to take on holiday? I'd prefer a self-contained story if possible. Previously:

2017: Multiversity
2016: Kingdom Come
2015: The Filth
2014: The Incal
2013: Midnight Nation

Thanks for any recommendations!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Sanford posted:

Can someone recommend me a weighty tome to take on holiday? I'd prefer a self-contained story if possible. Previously:

New Frontier. It's Darwyn Cooke's take on a 1960s Justice League and is delightful.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Can someone recommend some Bande Dessinee that I can only find in French / in europe?

Moebius is great, but a lot of it is translated. I was also thinking of picking up some of the Uderzo stuff that never came across.

I also found Conan: Bande Dessinee version. Highly considering that even if it looks like pretty generic takes on the character. Love me some Conan.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sanford posted:

From Hell
Return of Superman
if there's a solo collection of it Ennis' Hell Blazer
All Star Superman
Tom King's Vision

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Well, I bought a couple books. Still looking for suggestions.

I picked up volume 1 of Imbattable (Unbeatable) which was posted back in the funny pictures thread a while back. It’s a classic Spirou style single page funny strip with a main character who is unbeatable because of his ability to traverse comic panels.

I also picked up volume 3 of Tommy Cross. Didn’t realize it was the third volume, seems pretty standalone though. It reminds me so very much of Darwin Cooke’s take on Parker. Both for the main character - Cross is a hard boiled criminal antihero from the 50s, and for the art. Brüno draws in a very similar style to Cooke on Parker. I honestly can’t imagine it’s a complete coincidence for this book, though I gather this is his style generally. Very cartoony, clean art, subdued use of colours and shading, no cross hatching. I lovvvve it.

It looks like there a marvel unlimited comparable for Bande Dessinée that’s like 10 euroes a month. I’m going to try it out and see if I can find some other stuff to grab before my vacation comes to an end.

Canine Conspiracy
Dec 16, 2011

I read the two issues of Immortal Hulk while dogsitting and thought they were really enjoyable, and that's basically the entire non-Hostess-Ads or non-events amount of my exposure to the Hulk. Does anybody have any recommendations for:
- Good Hulk stories/runs/etc.? I've liked smart Hulks when I ran into them, but plain ol' Hulk Smash Hulk is plenty fun too, so I'll take whatever.
- Good stories/runs/etc. that have kind of a similar feel to Immortal Hulk? I imagine this is maybe Swamp Thing territory, but I have no idea.
Thanks for any suggestions y'all, I appreciate it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. Definitely look at Alan Moore's Swamp Thing.
Try old EC Comics horror stories (Tales From the Crypt, etc) if you don't mind looking at stuff from the 50's/60's. I'm sure they were a huge inspiration for this run since it seems to be doing the whole one-and-done grim morality tales thing.
Ice Cream Man and Tales From The Darkside are similar recent horror anthology miniseries.
Jeff Lemire's 2011 Animal Man was a good, creepy horror based superhero comic.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jul 11, 2018

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

New Frontier. It's Darwyn Cooke's take on a 1960s Justice League and is delightful.

Perfect. Ordered and en route.

Skwirl posted:

From Hell
Return of Superman
if there's a solo collection of it Ennis' Hell Blazer
All Star Superman
Tom King's Vision

I own and have enjoyed everything on your list except Vision, which is a good enough recommendation for me. Only concern - I'm not a Marvel fan and only have a basic knowledge of the core characters. Will I still "get it"?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sanford posted:

Perfect. Ordered and en route.

I own and have enjoyed everything on your list except Vision, which is a good enough recommendation for me. Only concern - I'm not a Marvel fan and only have a basic knowledge of the core characters. Will I still "get it"?

Vision is very much its own thing. You get a bit more out of it by knowing the backstory to the characters but the book does a good job of filling in the reader on the essentials.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I'll get that too, then. Thanks.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Canine Conspiracy posted:

I read the two issues of Immortal Hulk while dogsitting and thought they were really enjoyable, and that's basically the entire non-Hostess-Ads or non-events amount of my exposure to the Hulk. Does anybody have any recommendations for:
- Good Hulk stories/runs/etc.? I've liked smart Hulks when I ran into them, but plain ol' Hulk Smash Hulk is plenty fun too, so I'll take whatever.
- Good stories/runs/etc. that have kind of a similar feel to Immortal Hulk? I imagine this is maybe Swamp Thing territory, but I have no idea.
Thanks for any suggestions y'all, I appreciate it.

Basically anything Greg Pak wrote with the Hulk.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Sanford posted:

I'll get that too, then. Thanks.

New Frontier is an all-time favorite of mine. If you like it, I'd also strongly recommend The Golden Age (possibly retitled JSA: The Golden Age), by James Robinson, although it was only four issues.

Tom King's Vision was heavy, but good. Some other semi-recent Marvel runs I have loved were Matt Fraction's Hawkeye (collected fully in four TPBs or one Omnibus) and Nick Spencer's Superior Foes of Spider-Man (collected fully in three TPBs.)

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

New Frontier is an all-time favorite of mine. If you like it, I'd also strongly recommend The Golden Age (possibly retitled JSA: The Golden Age), by James Robinson, although it was only four issues.

Tom King's Vision was heavy, but good. Some other semi-recent Marvel runs I have loved were Matt Fraction's Hawkeye, Nick Spencer's Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

loving yes! The Golden Age is awesome! And yeah new editions of the trade are called JSA: The Golden Age. drat, now I gotta go home and read that.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

pubic works project posted:

loving yes! The Golden Age is awesome! And yeah new editions of the trade are called JSA: The Golden Age. drat, now I gotta go home and read that.

Starman is maybe my all-time favorite series, and I've always loved Golden Age too. James Robinson has NEVER come to a convention in Florida, although I've wanted to meet him for almost 25 years, since Starman #0 came out in 1994. I just saw he'll be at Rose City Comic Con in Portland along with Bendis, Mignola, and a few other cool creators, and I started thinking about planning a vacation and how I'd probably need to bring a suitcase full of books for everyone to sign. But it's too close to the beginning of our semester, the second weekend in September.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yeah. Definitely look at Alan Moore's Swamp Thing.
Try old EC Comics horror stories (Tales From the Crypt, etc) if you don't mind looking at stuff from the 50's/60's. I'm sure they were a huge inspiration for this run since it seems to be doing the whole one-and-done grim morality tales thing.
Ice Cream Man and Tales From The Darkside are similar recent horror anthology miniseries.
Jeff Lemire's 2011 Animal Man was a good, creepy horror based superhero comic.

I've also been reading Atlas Era Strange Tales. It was a competitor to Tales from the Crypt, and the quality on the writing is generally much lower and the art starts pretty bad, but it gets much better with Joe Sinnott, Gene Colan, and Romita and other talent showing up.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I got New Frontier and Vision, and added JSA: Golden Age to my wishlist. I also picked up Omega Men because it's ages since I read anything from the main DC universe and a collected 12 issues for £12 seemed a bargain.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sanford posted:

If you liked the Incal then you should read the spin-offs: The Technopriests and Metabarons.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I want to read IDW's Transformers comics. I remember reading some Spotlight issues, All Hail Megatron and the miniseries that came back then, were should I start for slightly less old stuff?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx0TDMWphOU
I got curious and watched this when they announced they were soon ending it. It didn't inspire me to start reading, but I remember it explaining things well.

edit: You can tldr in at about 8mins.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 17, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx0TDMWphOU
I got curious and watched this when they announced they were soon ending it. It didn't inspire me to start reading, but I remember it explaining things well.

edit: You can tldr in at about 8mins.

tldr means "too long didn't read" so it doesn't actually apply to videos and also 8 minutes is way the gently caress too long, so I didn't read it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Blame IDW for making 8 minutes of miniseries to explain. The video's concise.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

radlum posted:

I want to read IDW's Transformers comics. I remember reading some Spotlight issues, All Hail Megatron and the miniseries that came back then, were should I start for slightly less old stuff?

drat. I started at the beginning (just finished Dark Cybertron) and I still don't know how to answer this question.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Death Of Optimus Prime. That led into two ongoing titles, that started as Transformers: Robots In Disguise (this lose the subtitle after the new TF cartoon began to use it and IDW launched a tie-in comic for the show) and Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MTMTE eventually relaunches as Lost Light, also.

Last Stand of the Wreckers is worth reading before the other stuff, too, and comes up again.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They just released a collected version of all the Wreckers minis, I think.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Hey which Street Fighter UDON books are good? Are there any excellent Sagat focused ones?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I have Street Fighter I and I expected it was going to be more of a fanservice comic with characters appearing and doing their special moves or something but there's actually a long-running story - that I think gets continued in Street Fighter II and such - which I never ended up finishing. Sagat shows up in the end to surprise Ryu but instead of fighting he just goes "Hey, that dude you're training to fight against is a loving devil monster, watch the gently caress out."

The character-focused series is Legends with one volume each for Sakura, Chun-Li, Ibuki, and Cammy. I have the Sakura one and it was a fun read.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think Street Fighter II Turbo is where it gets bad. Just as Ryu and Akuma are about to fight, which the entire series has been building towards, a bunch of Street Fighter 4 characters show up and derail the plot.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I just want to read about Autobot Megatron. What series/volumes should I check out?

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I read The Omega Men and it was cool and good; any more reasonably recent mainstream DC titles I should check out? I prefer a self-contained story but am well versed in the lore if that's a consideration.

(I have Vision, JSA: The Golden Age and DC: The New Frontier set aside for my holiday as per replies to my previous question!)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Sanford posted:

I read The Omega Men and it was cool and good; any more reasonably recent mainstream DC titles I should check out? I prefer a self-contained story but am well versed in the lore if that's a consideration.

(I have Vision, JSA: The Golden Age and DC: The New Frontier set aside for my holiday as per replies to my previous question!)

Try Dial H by China Mieville!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Schneider Heim posted:

Try Dial H by China Mieville!

I have two books, did it go beyond that?

Only registered members can see post attachments!