Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I've got a couple for the Pixel 2 I'm not going to use

B-5NSV65HLQ3G4PAZ8UIXBSRF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

incogneato posted:

I know it's just another anecdote, but I bought a $20 pair of Anker Soundbud Slim Bluetooth headphones a year ago. I use them five days a week walking to work and in the gym, and they're doing great. Sure they're a bit flimsy, but I treat them like crap just tossing them into my bag.

I have no doubt there are many duds at that price range, though.

Got Bluetooth buds for like 11 bucks on MP for the gf. Charge door fell off almost instantly, but they sent us another pair for that and aside from that they both work fine, they only last about 4 hours though which seems about the norm for wireless buds anyway unless you pay through the nose. Personally I'd never buy buds but its what she prefers (headband/hair) but it just doesn't seem wireless is advanced far enough, or could ever be practical in that form factor. Think I'm gonna buy her a nice wired pair for her birthday coming up.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Well gently caress, currently waiting for the Pixel 3 to be released, I guess around Oct 20

My current phone, Pixel 1 was beginning to overheat (garbage battery) so I shut it down and now it's not booting back up

What is the best Project Fi - compatible camera phone besides the Pixel 2 under $500. I am guessing G6 or X4....

I use the gently caress out of my camera, I am used to the quality of the Nexus/Pixel cameras and apparently can't wait out the battery until the Pixel 3 arrives but don't want to sacrifice camera quality too much.

I noticed people mentioning their og Pixels are refusing to turn back on lately on the Pixel subreddit. Out of curiosity why would you buy another Pixel after having the first one die before a two year period? Not trying to troll but I'm curious if I would do the same or just stick with a budget Moto phone next time. The only thing stopping me is I would miss the camera a lot.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So, update to this post:

loquacius posted:

Hey guys, I have a device question. Looking into getting a new phone.

In summary, my Moto 5GS on AT&T kept missing SMS messages while I was at work, so I tried getting a Moto G6 under the impression that getting cell data on more bands would solve the issue, but the update is that it did not. Yesterday I literally left work, crossed the street, and as soon as my foot hit sidewalk on the other side my phone pinged with two text messages my wife had sent hours earlier finally arriving.

So, I need to try to convince Amazon to accept a return even though I'm an idiot and broke down the packaging before finding out this problem still existed. My question is, is there a point to continually purchasing new phones or am I just gonna find that the next one, whatever it is, has the same issue? Maybe my search terms just suck, but I can't find any record of anyone else having a problem like this with any phone or carrier.

My wife needs to upgrade her phone too; it wouldn't be a bad time for us to switch carriers, I guess, but I'd have to know that it's actually AT&T's fault that this is happening to justify it. Has anyone else ever heard of something like this? Again, it never used to be an issue when I had a Samsung phone; it only started popping up once I tried a Motorola model. And what kind of phone would I want from Verizon if I want a headphone jack?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

So, update to this post:

In summary, my Moto 5GS on AT&T kept missing SMS messages while I was at work, so I tried getting a Moto G6 under the impression that getting cell data on more bands would solve the issue, but the update is that it did not. Yesterday I literally left work, crossed the street, and as soon as my foot hit sidewalk on the other side my phone pinged with two text messages my wife had sent hours earlier finally arriving.

So, I need to try to convince Amazon to accept a return even though I'm an idiot and broke down the packaging before finding out this problem still existed. My question is, is there a point to continually purchasing new phones or am I just gonna find that the next one, whatever it is, has the same issue? Maybe my search terms just suck, but I can't find any record of anyone else having a problem like this with any phone or carrier.

My wife needs to upgrade her phone too; it wouldn't be a bad time for us to switch carriers, I guess, but I'd have to know that it's actually AT&T's fault that this is happening to justify it. Has anyone else ever heard of something like this? Again, it never used to be an issue when I had a Samsung phone; it only started popping up once I tried a Motorola model. And what kind of phone would I want from Verizon if I want a headphone jack?

Have you tried turning on wifi messaging (assuming you're logged into wifi while you're at work)?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

loquacius posted:

So, update to this post:

Before you start swapping phones around, lets talk about the actual problem.

You do not receive SMS messages while at work.
From everyone? Or just one person in particular? Do you have signal? Data? Wi-Fi?

Do you need to receive SMS messages from everyone? Just one person?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

So my Moto Droid Turbo 2 is acting weird lately. A couple of weeks ago, I had about 80% charge, then out of nowhere it said it only had 3% battery left and so I shut it down and started charging it. As soon as the boot/charge screen came up, it showed about 85% charge. So I gave it a minute and rebooted the phone and it was fine again.

Then, again on Sunday, had about 60% charge. Tried switching to camera and then the phone just went black like it locked up. Shut it down, restarted only with 3% charge. So it shut itself down shortly after that.

Walked to the car and charged it for a minute or two while it was turned off. Phone was over 30%. I figured that was good enough, so I left the car.

Walked around a bit with phone and it was still at least 30%. Cool. Then a few minutes later I took my phone out, still having around 30% charge, then tried to send a text. As it was about to send the text the phone just shut off again. Tried turning it back on, back to 3% power.

Got home and it charged fully and it seems to be OK again. For now. Any idea what's causing this, or things I can do to try to prevent it from happening again? I'd like to try whatever I can to keep this thing working for the next couple of months.

I usually have it on a wireless charger while I'm working, and the battery doesn't get all that low- usually- throughout the day.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

Have you tried turning on wifi messaging (assuming you're logged into wifi while you're at work)?

Is that an option on an unlocked device? I definitely don't have Wi-Fi calling.

FunOne posted:

Before you start swapping phones around, lets talk about the actual problem.

You do not receive SMS messages while at work.
From everyone? Or just one person in particular? Do you have signal? Data? Wi-Fi?

Do you need to receive SMS messages from everyone? Just one person?

My phone always claims it has signal and LTE, but (as another symptom of whatever problem this is) sometimes when I'm using LTE to browse I have to turn airplane mode off and on again to get anything to actually load. Wi-Fi seems to work fine; I can't use it for SMS, though, so that's not a solution here. SMSes sometimes fail to send, but failing to receive them is a bigger issue. Most of the time the texts in question are from my wife, mostly because she's usually the one texting me while I'm at work.

e: Turning on "chat features" in Android Messaging doesn't seem to be an option for me, and from what I can see that's how you do Wi-Fi messaging, so I guess I'd need a carrier-specific device for that

loquacius fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 10, 2018

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I'm sorry I didn't see this discussion sooner. Details of your Moto SMS issue:

My wife and I both used G5+ phones for about a year. We both had problems receiving SMS messages from certain numbers; primarily from Verizon numbers. We are on TMO. We both talked to tech support on multiple occasions. Tried all the usual solutions: factory reset, change messaging apps, WiFi vs. LTE, etc. The only way to communicate with these people was with a non-SMS solution, i.e. Facebook Messenger. SMS was 0% success from these numbers, Messenger was 100% success. It is not an easy problem to diagnose or pinpoint to one culprit.

After we got sick of Moto and both got Mate SEs, we *immediately* had 100% SMS success to all numbers, sending/receiving. There are a few Moto Forum threads out there with the same issue. Bottom line, it's a Motorola Problem. Get a new phone.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

FistEnergy posted:

I'm sorry I didn't see this discussion sooner. Details of your Moto SMS issue:

My wife and I both used G5+ phones for about a year. We both had problems receiving SMS messages from certain numbers; primarily from Verizon numbers. We are on TMO. We both talked to tech support on multiple occasions. Tried all the usual solutions: factory reset, change messaging apps, WiFi vs. LTE, etc. The only way to communicate with these people was with a non-SMS solution, i.e. Facebook Messenger. SMS was 0% success from these numbers, Messenger was 100% success. It is not an easy problem to diagnose or pinpoint to one culprit.

After we got sick of Moto and both got Mate SEs, we *immediately* had 100% SMS success to all numbers, sending/receiving. There are a few Moto Forum threads out there with the same issue. Bottom line, it's a Motorola Problem. Get a new phone.

Alright, will do. Next step is to talk to Amazon about whether I can get my $260 back without an intact box. Thanks for the confirmation!

e: for the record Facebook Messenger always works for me too, it's strictly an SMS thing

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Unfortunately you need a certain set of phones to get SMS over LTE on AT&T because of stupid reasons.

If FistEnergy is correct and this is an odd-duck Moto issue then your options are to switch to another messaging platform (WhatsApp, Signal, Messenger, whatever) or to switch phones.

My personal opinion is even with new phones you'd be well served by looking at other messaging platforms. They have things like speed, security, and features which SMS obviously does not.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Thanatosian posted:

Amazon Prime is having a sale on Anker stuff; should their USB-C fast-chargers be fine for my Moto X4 Android One edition, or should they be avoided because they're third-party?

http://www.usb.org/kcompliance/view/CertifiedUSBPowerBricks.pdf

If you want you can check if what you're looking for is on this list

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

FunOne posted:

My personal opinion is even with new phones you'd be well served by looking at other messaging platforms. They have things like speed, security, and features which SMS obviously does not.

Honestly this is one area I'm jealous of iPhone users on because iMessage is so ubiquitous it's actually viable as an SMS alternative, where most other options carry no guarantee that the majority of people you want to talk to will use them and no way of getting the message to them if they don't. Messenger is pretty close.

Amazon is being very cooperative w/r/t returning without the box so I'm gonna just switch back to the 5GS while I figure out which phone will be my real new phone.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

Honestly this is one area I'm jealous of iPhone users on because iMessage is so ubiquitous it's actually viable as an SMS alternative, where most other options carry no guarantee that the majority of people you want to talk to will use them and no way of getting the message to them if they don't. Messenger is pretty close.

Amazon is being very cooperative w/r/t returning without the box so I'm gonna just switch back to the 5GS while I figure out which phone will be my real new phone.

Android Messages is supposed to be Google's response to iMessage, and it at least looks like it's a good effort. They've gotten buy-in from all the major carriers, which was probably a huge loving pain in the rear end.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

loquacius posted:

WhatApp is pretty standard outside America I guess. The only SMS message I've sent/recieved in a week now is a 2FA auth code.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm the outlier who uses Steam messenger for no goddamn good reason whatsoever. (Except that the people I talk to use it too.)

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

Android Messages is supposed to be Google's response to iMessage, and it at least looks like it's a good effort. They've gotten buy-in from all the major carriers, which was probably a huge loving pain in the rear end.

I'll believe it when I see it. Messages as it is now is a fine enough app, but Google's "it's up to the carriers" strategy is... questionable, to say the least. Also its lack of encryption sucks.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

This is just clutching at straws at this point but I had an issue around 2003 where I wasn't getting SMS messages properly on a Nokia phone I had. Can't remember if I swapped to another handset to try it but the following worked:

Go to Settings, change Mobile Network selection from Automatic to Manual. From the list that loads, select a network other than your default, so if you're an AT&T customer, select T-Mobile or something.

The phone will fail to connect to the other network. Reboot the phone and at this stage and it'll automatically pick your correct mobile network again.

Back in 2003, this "flushed" mailbox on the service provider's side and I got a bunch of texts that were stuck on their end.

Now that's a long time ago in another country, with older technology, but it's something quick and free to try.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sleepwalkers posted:

I'll believe it when I see it. Messages as it is now is a fine enough app, but Google's "it's up to the carriers" strategy is... questionable, to say the least. Also its lack of encryption sucks.

It's SMS, there is no protocol level encryption. Carriers encrypt the transport/network level using shared key encryption within GSM. Obviously that's moot if you think your carrier is reading/leaking/etc your texts, but the solution to wanting end-to-end encryption as you seem to be implying is simply to use another app. SMS is not the solution for that need.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I had trouble with some random unlocked phones sending/receiving messages. I believe mostly MMS but there were SMS problems too.

Have you tried using a different messaging app like Textra? That always seemed to get things to work for some reason.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

cage-free egghead posted:

I had trouble with some random unlocked phones sending/receiving messages. I believe mostly MMS but there were SMS problems too.

Have you tried using a different messaging app like Textra? That always seemed to get things to work for some reason.

Textra is actually my default

I was gonna go with the Samsung Galaxy A8 but honestly the idea of getting Wi-Fi calling and Wi-Fi messaging is tempting me to just dehumanize myself and face to AT&T Next Plan

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's SMS, there is no protocol level encryption. Carriers encrypt the transport/network level using shared key encryption within GSM. Obviously that's moot if you think your carrier is reading/leaking/etc your texts, but the solution to wanting end-to-end encryption as you seem to be implying is simply to use another app. SMS is not the use case for that need.
I'm well aware, but the technical reasons behind why SMS(/RCS) doesn't support encryption are irrelevant to saying it sucks that the thing Google is pitching as an iMessage alternative doesn't support the things iMessage does. The solution is for Google to stop half-assing messaging and develop an actual iMessage competitor. That was kinda the gist of what I was saying.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 10, 2018

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
What google needs is yet another messaging app that they abandon within 5 years

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

What google needs is yet another messaging app that they abandon within 5 years

Well, you see, they're building it into their existing SMS app, so instead of it being a spectacular flameout, nobody will actually know that they've failed!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Is google pitching Messages as an imessage alternative or is that something people are just wishing it was?

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Afaik Allo was supposed to be their iMessage equivalent, but in true Google fashion it was half baked upon delivery and has received no meaningful updates since.

It would also pester your MMS/SMS recipients to download Allo by sending a download link to the Play Store with every message you sent using the app.

Like, how many more iterations of Android do we need before they consolidate all these apps? Do we really need a separate SMS and Hangouts app? Why isn't Duo just baked into the Phone app? (These are rhetorical questions. I know the answer is "never".)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Don't worry, Project Fuchsia will fix everything some day!

I'm torn between thinking that will never materialize, and thinking they are 100% behind it because it will give them an excuse to redo literally all of their apps again

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Thermopyle posted:

Is google pitching Messages as an imessage alternative or is that something people are just wishing it was?

They haven't done much other than saying they are ceasing work on Allo and added the web client.

The web client is a step in the right direction, but the implemention is still clunky. THAT is mostly due to the way the message store is handled. Google is backing up messages data to the cloud, but it's a black box. It's associated with your account, but can only be restored to a phone if your select your phone's backup when you setup the device.

You can't simply sign into a device and load your message history. You can't download that history from Take-Out. You can't redownload your history if you have to clear message data for some reason.

That's where the insanity is IMO. I am thrilled that you can connect multiple browsers to the web client and have message continuity. But it's time to start treating this message data as a part of your Google account rather than phone backup data.

Message history should be stored as an account/number pairing. If I sign into my Google account with a message client, I should see every phone number associated with my account just as I can add multiple email accounts to Gmail. If I wipe every single Google device I own and don't restore them from backups, my message data should still be accessible though the web client. If I then sign in with messages on a new phone, all that stuff should be there.

I should be able to use the messages client on any device I'm logged into and have it behave the same way as my primary phone.

Web client should also allow me to move/merge message threads to a new number if I want to. There should also be off device archive and automatic backup to Google photos within a tagged SMS album.

FROM THERE, you can then layer other protocols on top, bypassing SMS altogether for people using the same client.

This is all doable today and a no brainier. It's so frustrating it hasn't been done.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Odds of pixel 3 having dual SIM? Really want to split work and personal duties out by SIM without having to carry 2 of the drat things.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Odds of pixel 3 having dual SIM? Really want to split work and personal duties out by SIM without having to carry 2 of the drat things.

Zero.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Allo more like Oodbye

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The only thing holding Allo back is the network effect. I use it with a few friends and my wife, and honestly it works real well.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Google is (and has been for ages) in a position where they could EASILY make something way better than iMessage. Something secure, seamless between every platform and device, has awesome media support, etc. But they are too retarded to do any of these things and will continue putting out poo poo products that put gimmicks no one cares about (custom stickers and text scaling) ahead of core critical features.

God I hate Google.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Google doesn't want to do anything like that because they're playing the long game with RCS.

Whether that is a good idea or not is arguable, but I don't think it's completely a matter of Google just being stupid or incompetent.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

RZA Encryption posted:

The only thing holding Allo back is the network effect. I use it with a few friends and my wife, and honestly it works real well.

The client is fine and good. Even in the current iteration though, you can only have like one browser hooked up to it and there's no persistent message history that exists outside your phone.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

It's so irritating that Hangouts with Google Voice is just a step away from perfection and they're basically abandoning the whole thing.

I can sit at my PC and have perfect conversation continuity between it and all my devices on both Hangouts messages and SMS messages. The only thing missing is abstracting away the difference between a hangouts message and an SMS message.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

It's so irritating that Hangouts with Google Voice is just a step away from perfection and they're basically abandoning the whole thing.

I can sit at my PC and have perfect conversation continuity between it and all my devices on both Hangouts messages and SMS messages. The only thing missing is abstracting away the difference between a hangouts message and an SMS message.

:yeah:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

Google doesn't want to do anything like that because they're playing the long game with RCS..

That's a really idiot end-game. In what universe is that going to beat simple internet-based protocols? You don't have to be a tech expert to know that the answer is zero. RCS would have been really impressive 6-10 years ago. Now it's a pointless protocol that offers nothing, much like SMS.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Why exactly did Google take out the drat headphone jack from Pixel 2, and have they learned their lesson yet or are they still sunk-cost-fallacying like Apple

I'm not an Android-discussion regular so making this whiny post is my way of keeping my ear to the ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I don't miss it at all :shrug: