Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Even so, Willie does get some good lines when they acknowledge how obnoxious she is. Her shrill nature works better when it plays into the scene and not in spite of it.

It's an interesting dynamic and it works or worked. Women be afraid off touching statue boobies. It is known.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

syscall girl posted:

It's an interesting dynamic and it works or worked. Women be afraid off touching statue boobies. It is known.

That was the scene I was thinking of, actually. And I always felt her delivery of "No one's flying the plane!" was pretty funny.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

the actor/statue corollary is of course Frank Drebin in Naked Gun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJZSiYCr1gE&t=66s

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

That was the scene I was thinking of, actually. And I always felt her delivery of "No one's flying the plane!" was pretty funny.

I guess some people think she's not uh actualized

crap

uh, realized, empowered something and ofc she's not

But she provides a nice counterpoint to how insane Indy is

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Sid Vicious posted:

In the movie Rush Hour, Jackie Chan says to Chris Tucker "can you understand the words coming out of my mouth" and Chris Tucker replies that no one can understand the words he speaks, but for him to have responded in this manner he absolutely would have had to understand the words that were coming out of his mouth.

Dude, we get the gimmick. Know when to stop.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

SiKboy posted:

Dude, we get the gimmick. Know when to stop.

I'm afraid I don't understand your anger

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
So a lot has been said about the Starship Troopers movie being a parody, heinlein fetishizing fascism, etc. etc., but I was looking at a clip just now and noticed something that passed me by the first time around.

That rank insignia is basically made of SS bolts

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And several of the federation insignias are shaped like insects to draw a parallel between the feds and the arachnids.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

And several of the federation insignias are shaped like insects to draw a parallel between the feds and the arachnids.

hahahahahaha gently caress that's good

I really need to sit down and re-watch this.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

So a lot has been said about the Starship Troopers movie being a parody, heinlein fetishizing fascism, etc. etc., but I was looking at a clip just now and noticed something that passed me by the first time around.

That rank insignia is basically made of SS bolts

Man, I know :thejoke: but the entire film is anything but subtle.

It's also perfect in every way.

When it comes to the source material though, in many ways "Armor" was a superior book, and it's a shame it was never adapted.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

kupachek posted:

When it comes to the source material though, in many ways "Armor" was a superior book, and it's a shame it was never adapted.

I loved Verhoeven's take on Heinlen. I saw the Rifftrax of Starship Troopers in the theater and it was kind of worthless because it's hard to parody a parody. Normally I watch any movie if it's Rifftraxed, I wouldn't have seen Avengers without the cheese cube jokes.

I'll say again that Blackhawk Down was the faithful adaptation of Heinlen's book.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

kupachek posted:

ANTS! ANTS EVERYWHERE!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Captain America: The Winter Soldier. When they're rescuing the hostage in the beginning, to escape a grenade, Cap grabs Black Widow and leaps towards a window, and just before they go through it, Widow shoots out the glass. Always thought that was a neat little touch.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

Captain America: The Winter Soldier. When they're rescuing the hostage in the beginning, to escape a grenade, Cap grabs Black Widow and leaps towards a window, and just before they go through it, Widow shoots out the glass. Always thought that was a neat little touch.

I'd be upset that they stole that from The Long Kiss Goodnight but I like both of these movies.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

kupachek posted:

I actually used to hobnob a bit online with John Steakley in news groups, email lists, etc back before Vampire$ was made. I asked him about an armor movie after that and he said he was so unimpressed with Vampire$ he didn't think it would ever happen.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
In Moana, when Gramma is telling the story of Maui in the very beginning, she mentions that there are still monsters looking for the heart. On the little scroll she has, one of those monsters is Tamatoa, whom Maui and Moana encounter later.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

All of you not knowing who could play a good greaser obviously didn't watch twin peaks, becuase then you would have known the answer to be Michael Cera.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

James Marshall could probably pull it off too.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

No one can play a good greaser in the modern era because over time that style has migrated from visual shorthand for "troubled delinquent, possibly violent" to "wannabe leatherdaddy".

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Also funny-looking Japanese subculture

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I posted this one here ages ago, but since the movie is now on Netflix, I took a screen grab.

Spotlight (2015) is about the investigation into the Catholic church covering for pedos.

That's Joe Paterno coaching a Penn State football game on the left tv.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I was surprise it wasn't spelled out that Toomes used to be a fighter pilot. Maybe used the same wingsuits as Falcon.

On an unrelated (possibly) note, I watched Yellow Submarine recently. Notable that, for a caricature of ivory tower university intellectuals whose rhetoric and ideas have no relevance to anyone who needs it, the Nowhere Man is, after only a brief time hanging with the Beatles, capable of utterly deconstructing the Blue Meanies and convincing them to abandon their defeated fascist ways and joining the Pepperland counterculture, that their authoritarianism is that fragile and hollow that the ideas of relaxed acceptance and freedom are capable of reforming fascists into people capable of rejoining society.

After ww2 germany wrote off an entire generation of people because they were facists. Ill take the real world example of people who had to nazi their country as a better strategy then lennons lsd trip. Just saying we write off everyone over the age of 30 and bam america is great in about two generations. i'm 33 also not ironic

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

snergle posted:

After ww2 germany wrote off an entire generation of people because they were facists.
But they didn't, though.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Honestly, they can keep it. I think they've done a much better job of it than we ever did

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I thought I found a surprising really subtle movie moment, for about a minute. I was in awe of its subtlety in a sea of blunt surface text.

Punisher War Zone: Jigsaw's face is all hosed up and is sad when he looks in mirrors. His insane brother promises to smash every mirror before he sees them. He spends two minutes throwing himself all over a hotel lobby to smash every mirror to the delight of jigsaw.

Half an hour later they're in police interrogation, the shot has them framed through the one-way mirror in the background while the police in the foreground talk. From our point of view the window is broken. But, intuitively, from their side, it used to be a mirror and now it's smashed. They don't address it for over a minute and I'm just like, yeah. Yeah it's subtle. This is the subtlest thing in the world. Amazing. They trusted me to get this. I'm rewarded for their trust. So subtle.

The very next frame is inside the room, close up of the blood on the shattered mirror, then close up of the crazy brother licking his bloody knuckles menacingly for five straight minutes and cutting back to the mirror and his appreciative brother nodding at him vigorously so you get it and oh. That wasn't subtle at all. That's more what I was expecting.

It was almost a very subtle movie moment!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It's a dumb movie.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
… but it is a lot of fun. The How Did This Get Made? Podcast with the director is great, as she in essence crowd-sourced the movie from fans and gave them exactly what they wanted. Alas, non-fans were left scratching their heads.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

But also Punisher fans are garbage, so you still only get... that.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Eh, Punisher War Zone is a fine dumb fun action movie. I'd argue its possibly the best movie version of the punisher (Thomas Jane was a great punisher, but John Travolta wasnt a good villain). The basic problem with the punisher as a movie is that its about a muscular white guy with a military background who uses guns to kill many people to avenge his loved ones. In comics thats a bit different and you can do some interesting things with it. In movies its about 95% of hollywoods output and doesnt bring much new to the table other than branding.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The studio also hosed over the director on Punisher: War Zone pretty hard, it was a lovely situation.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The studio also hosed over the director on Punisher: War Zone pretty hard, it was a lovely situation.

I was surprised to find out I like Daredevil better than Punisher

aand punisher skull face shorts are a thing

You wanna see the pun, watch this it's toxic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWpK0wsnitc

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
punisher has pretty much always been just fascist power fantasy

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Kanine posted:

punisher has pretty much always been just fascist power fantasy

He's basically a broke batman

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Novum posted:

He's basically a broke batman

I thought that was Daredevil

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I remembered patton oswald begging people to go see the movie and I'm all bored with time to kill and I thought why not. Why not?
I saw it the day after watching john wick 2 though so maybe that's why not. It invited comparisons and I already saw the rocket launcher thing on youtube so it was kind of a weird decision and a thoroughly disappointing experience.

It is very difficult to enjoy the punisher in any way right now because of all the pictures of cops with the punisher logo on their cars right next to their thin blue line flags.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

That was also an rather off-putting thing in American Sniper, where the guy and his unit were proudly displaying the Punisher skull on their uniforms and vehicles, which they'd also done in real life. That was just 100% https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Yeah unfortunately The Punisher attracts the worst kinds of people who know nothing beyond "he kills people"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Some prominent Punisher arcs have been about murdering Klansmen, slavers and crooked cops, I'm pretty sure.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Some prominent Punisher arcs have been about murdering Klansmen, slavers and crooked cops, I'm pretty sure.

And also about how Frank is a monster. He was given the chance to have his family back at one point and he killed the guy offering partly because he was a bad guy and partly because he knew his wife wouldn't like the monster he became.

He's also fought white collar crime and became a Frankenstein Monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm sure he killed lots of bad guys who deserved to be killed in that one comic series where he literally killed everyone on Earth. Stopped clock and all.

I enjoyed the comic, but I can see how it plays to some pretty terrible worldviews.