Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Why did we have so many limbs? So we can be carried by each member of our team and still walk proudly on our own ❤

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
:siren: Splatfest schedules :siren:

• US/AU/NZ Squid vs. Octopus @ July 20th 21:00 PT / July 21th 00:00 ET / July 21th 14:00 AET
  • JP Squid vs. Octopus @ July 21th 15:00 JT
  • EU Squid vs. Octopus @ July 21th 16:00 CET
All Splatfests last for 24 hours.

Say no to speciesism.

Bonus feature: During Splatfest, the side you choose reflects your character, ie. you don't need the expansion to play as an octo.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hellioning posted:

The splatfest is between squids and octopodes, and there is no contest there.

Inklings vs. Octolings would be harder.

Exactly. It's not in-game. It's if Squids, the marine animal, are better than Octopodes, the marine animal.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Wrist Watch posted:

Tired: the splatfest is a race war
Wired: the splatfest is a war between people who started with splatoon 1 and those who started with the second game

This

Squid4lyfe

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

yeah, just a weird coincidence that thry happen to line up with the playable species and that you are the in-game species you pick for the splatfest and the art shows an inkling and an octoling pointing guns at each other. ?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

b_d posted:

yeah, just a weird coincidence that thry happen to line up with the playable species and that you are the in-game species you pick for the splatfest and the art shows an inkling and an octoling pointing guns at each other. ?

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only reason they don't say Inkling vs Octoling is bc lorewise they're so braindead they don't even know there's a difference

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Nintendeal/status/1015307154939629568

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

:negative: gently caress this map.
https://twitter.com/cythrin/status/1016437909522563073?s=21

Bonus clip of me later in the shift getting overwhelmed by all the visual stimuli and accidentally stepping over a 3 inch ledge
https://twitter.com/cythrin/status/1016439294603374592?s=21

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

In Training posted:

The only reason they don't say Inkling vs Octoling is bc lorewise they're so braindead they don't even know there's a difference

Exactly. While to us, it's Woomy vs Veemo, in-game it's two extinct cephalopods.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Dynamo Roller is a goddamn murder machine in Salmon Run, holy poo poo.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Kaethela posted:

It's a strange one. You don't have the ink reserves (or, frankly, the speed) to be able to effectively range very far out of any "safe" zone and like Chargers and Splatlings you have to be thinking two or so seconds ahead of any given gambit, but on the other hand it can murder more or less everything in one hit, and is deceptively good against Steelheads too. The range on the vertical flick is real. So basically if you can stick with someone you're golden, but if you ever get caught alone and out of ink you are straight hosed.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Kaethela posted:

If you get a goldie wave, slam the dynamo roller directly in front of its face.

few things are more satisfying or rewarding.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tengames posted:

If you get a goldie wave, slam the dynamo roller directly in front of its face.

few things are more satisfying or rewarding.

Same but glowflies

You have to tilt the analog stick forward just slightly and you become a wall of living death

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I didn't know Pearl's first Japanese name before. Of course there's another meaning to Nasty Majesty.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hellioning posted:

Inklings vs. Octolings would be harder.

:what:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

unpronounceable posted:

I didn't know Pearl's first Japanese name before. Of course there's another meaning to Nasty Majesty.

It means princess, like mononoke hime.

Now I'm wondering if she's squid royalty or if its just a cutsie name.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

A Hime is a pygmy squid. A Hozuki is another, larger squid.

Biggie Smalls.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Biggie Smalls.

TIL

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also to be exact that thing got Pearl's name backwards. It's Hozuki Hime in English order. Hime is her last name. Also we actually learned Marina's last name in Octo Expansion in the chat log. The English version is Marina Ida.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Harrow posted:

She doesn't see species, huh

I'm pretty sure it's implied that inklings are so loving dumb they literally don't notice

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Biggie Smalls.

Nice

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Inklings are the biggest bougie morons and that's literally canon.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Waffleman_ posted:

Biggie Smalls.

Oh my god

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Waffleman_ posted:

Inklings are the biggest bougie morons and that's literally canon.

Historically, how have conflicts between decadent, petite bourgeoisie and exploited minorities worked out? Pretty well right? Right? :ohdear:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Serenade posted:

Historically, how have conflicts between decadent, petite bourgeoisie and exploited minorities worked out? Pretty well right? Right? :ohdear:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haitian_Revolution

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The worst part about Clam Blaster is that if someone drops it's still rather easy to just be totally defensive and prevent a KO, which means you play out the full 5 minutes

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Oh nice, that also lines up with The Terror from the deep

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1016523235846836225

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
Lest we forget

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Serenade posted:

I mean, America is still chugging along, right?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Fedule posted:

(Clarification: all the tests I did were before I discovered LAN mode because I thought local play was LAN mode because why the gently caress wouldn't it be?)

If you're at a rooftop party or at the basketball courts or wherever and there's not a LAN nearby, why would you want that to be a requirement to game with your bros?

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Owers posted:

I don't think it gets any closer than this in Salmon Run gently caress
https://twitter.com/CollinearVertex/status/1016282422151864321

Nah dude it gets closer. Like waaaay closer https://twitter.com/FlopFloppy2/status/1009655920882692097

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Zaphod42 posted:

It means princess, like mononoke hime.

Now I'm wondering if she's squid royalty or if its just a cutsie name.

It seems potentially implied with some of Pearl's dialogue and that she's filthy loving rich she could be genuine Inkling royalty.

Inklings seem to be dumb but charismatic, given they get along well with everyone else and are popular celebrities.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

What's the lore on other beings? How minority are they? There's all the Jellies, plus all the other characters that range from other mollusk's like the Sea Slug Hat Lady, the Horseshoe Crab Armorer, the Shrimp Food Vendor, the Shoe dude (Type of crab?), and even a Sea Urchin.

The cats are the obvious WTF outliers, but otherwise there's clearly a pretty big, diverse, and sentient marine civilization out there.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Inklings are canonically stupid as gently caress, and Pearl legitimately did not realize Marina is an Octoling.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
I was immortal for a very brief period in Clam Blitz.

https://twitter.com/GS_standard/status/1016624894719623168

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kaethela posted:

Inklings are canonically stupid as gently caress, and Pearl legitimately did not realize Marina is an Octoling.

I mean Octolings have been extinct for years so it's not an absurdly strange thing to miss.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm starting to see 2+ dualies per game and it's pissing me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean Octolings have been extinct for years so it's not an absurdly strange thing to miss.

Really? I don't remember ever seeing anything in either game suggesting that.