Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
An English victory will make the English happy, so I hope it doesn't happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Irony Be My Shield posted:

An English victory will embolden violent racists so I hope it doesn't happen tbh.

I really don't think they need help being emboldened. They'll be plenty bold either way.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bryter posted:

An English victory will make the English happy, so I hope it doesn't happen

:same:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
imagine being english and not supporting the english football team cuz you're bitter about.... ...????

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

England have already admitted defeat in their hearts by throwing their game with Belgium. They do not deserve to win.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/cbrookmyre/status/1016650500274573313

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

ideal situation would have been for England to lose around the same time Trump landed so he'd be stuck over there for the hooligan uprising

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jose posted:

lol gently caress off

your favorite sport team will not actually win the sport game you enjoy

owned

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Lord of Pie posted:

ideal situation would have been for England to lose around the same time Trump landed so he'd be stuck over there for the hooligan uprising

Actually he'll be in Scotland for the final so so long as England make it to the final there's a chance the Scots'll kick off.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

his books are good and funny imo

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

multijoe posted:

England have already admitted defeat in their hearts by throwing their game with Belgium. They do not deserve to win.
the team tactically dodged the Japanese ya speng

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol belgium also tried to throw the game

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
weak brain: England have already lost
okay brain: England threw the game to Belgium to lull them into a false sense of security
good brain: England didn't care about the Belgium game because they were already through
godlike cosmos brain: Its Comin Home

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jose posted:

lol belgium also tried to throw the game

out of pity, but the brits were too bad at football for them to lose to

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its coming home

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Jose posted:

its coming home

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jose posted:

his books are good and funny imo

Hadn't heard of him before this tweet, but I just might check him out.

Jose posted:

its coming home

Y'all have gotten this song going through my head non-stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzEHtTe0j3U

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/FalklandsinUK/status/1016668850165899265?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol. the insane bombing run that started in the UK during the falklands war had the planes require less refueling than when they flew the first set of F35's across the atlantic

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

twoday posted:

Jesus

Don't forget that Trump is visiting in 2 days, lol

we will soon be calling him "MR. BREXIT"

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

it's coming home

home is falling apart

but it's coming!

twoday
May 4, 2005

From the Argentine perspective, now would be a great time for a second Falklands war

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

fridge corn posted:

reminder that americans call their national baseball championship "the world series"

Canadian teams can play in it too :smug:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

twoday posted:

From the Argentine perspective, now would be a great time for a second Falklands war

They are too busy with an S&M relationship with the IMF atm

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

England gonna win it all

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

fridge corn posted:

imagine being english and not supporting the english football team cuz you're bitter about.... ...????

Unless you're one of the inbreds the historical record is ripe with reasons to root against England as an Englishman.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

All the sports America cares about are insanely ruled bloated and shitter versions of classic games like rugby and rounders.

None of them have anything on the majesty of the beautiful game though

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hentai Jihadist posted:

All the sports America cares about are insanely ruled bloated and shitter versions of classic games like rugby and rounders.

None of them have anything on the majesty of the beautiful game though

What's "the beautiful game"? Is that the one where they kill a bunch of horses?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
football is coming home and will sank beneath the seas with england, as foretold by prophecy

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

twoday posted:

we would trident them right in their argie faces without blinking an eye this time because it would just be too much going on all at once.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

football is coming home and will sank beneath the seas with england, as foretold by prophecy
Harry Kane will put on the golden boot, lift the trophy, and the mists of avalon will descend upon us all

a crow will say "ITS COMIN HOME" and then an eerie silence will spread over the land.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

jBrereton posted:

we would trident them right in their argie faces without blinking an eye this time because it would just be too much going on all at once.

shouldn't invade a nuclear power imo there is no MAD to worry about

twoday
May 4, 2005

Which BBC radio station is the one that triggers trident if the submariners can't pick up the signal? Is it any good (as a radio station)?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

twoday posted:

Which BBC radio station is the one that triggers trident if the submariners can't pick up the signal? Is it any good (as a radio station)?
You'll know when it happens when Jeremy Vine says he'd like to hear more from people who know anything before rushing to judgement on his lunchtime show on Radio 2.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Relevant Tangent posted:

Unless you're one of the inbreds the historical record is ripe with reasons to root against England as an Englishman.

im not sure which historical record youre referring to but in recent memory the england team hasn't performed very well in tournaments so the fact that they're doing very well in this one is a great reason to support them imho

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Being Against A Bunch Of Teenage And Twentysomething Sportsplayers To Trigger The Oman Interventionism Defenders

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/RealTimeWWII/status/1016724238194049030

this must be what brexit means brexit means

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
can someone explain something to me (USAmerican here) please. The reason not to just do-over the Brexit referendum seems to be because it would teach cryptofascist elements of British society that they should use violence instead of valid democratic process to achieve their objectives... isn’t that an unabashed good thing? like, doesn’t it totally delegitimize the political process for a bunch of people who have no business being part of it?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

can someone explain something to me (USAmerican here) please. The reason not to just do-over the Brexit referendum seems to be because it would teach cryptofascist elements of British society that they should use violence instead of valid democratic process to achieve their objectives... isn’t that an unabashed good thing? like, doesn’t it totally delegitimize the political process for a bunch of people who have no business being part of it?

they would express this via bricks to the face of vulnerable people, molotovs into gay bars, bombs into mosques, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
is the idea a strategic detente then or what? to me it feels like an argument that building Trump’s wall is a good idea if it takes the steam out of the neonazis or whatever??