Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

Finicums Wake posted:

according to a vox article i just read, if every dem senator abstains from roll call votes the whole chamber grinds to a halt because republicans dont have enough votes to provide a quorum. idk whether convincing 2 gop senators to vote no on kavanaugh is easier than convincing every dem senator to play procedural hardball tho

https://www.vox.com/mischiefs-of-faction/2018/6/20/17480304/how-democrats-can-shut-down-senate

they have 51 senators. there is no situation in which they cannot establish quorum for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
one of their 51 cannot vote, currently

Serf
May 5, 2011

Joementum posted:

one of their 51 cannot vote, currently

my dude they will build the loving teleportation chamber from the fly to get mccain up in there to vote

and poo poo manchin would do it for free

nah
Mar 16, 2009

3 democrats will vote for the guy, it's all moot

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/adamconover/status/1016559027705135104?s=19

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Serf posted:

my dude they will build the loving teleportation chamber from the fly to get mccain up in there to vote

and poo poo manchin would do it for free

yeah, i think keeping a manchin type from defecting would be more difficult for dems than establishing a quorum with only R votes would be for GOP.

it's still worth figuring out what procedural options the dems actually have for blocking this are tho, imo, even if it's only to shut down future centrist apologists who will claim that they dems had no choice but to let the court fall to conservatives for at least a generation

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
when Bernie said we must do EVERYTHING to stop the nom, he meant EVERYTHING

Serf
May 5, 2011

isn't it also possible to just clog the whole thing up with useless poo poo? i'm sure that if you wanted you could troll the senate basically forever by asking for nonsense

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
the dems can still object to every motion in the senate and force a roll call vote on each, which takes about a half hour a piece

everything done in the chamber is objectionable, including when senators give boring speeches to the c-span cameras and the motion to adjourn for the night

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

isn't it also possible to just clog the whole thing up with useless poo poo? i'm sure that if you wanted you could troll the senate basically forever by asking for nonsense

so just elect Baloogan then, got it

PROLIX PROLIX PROLIX!!!!!!!!!!!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Anybody who is waiting and seeing is a yes. Everyone knows this but they're still allowed to pretend. If they were pressed about what they were waiting to see they wouldn't be able to name anything.

Serf
May 5, 2011

its funny how people still engage in political theater. just go ahead and call him justice kavanaugh or whatever

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Joementum posted:

the dems can still object to every motion in the senate and force a roll call vote on each, which takes about a half hour a piece

everything done in the chamber is objectionable, including when senators give boring speeches to the c-span cameras and the motion to adjourn for the night

they could, but then also the senate could simply change the rules with 50 votes and vp. since we decided that you can "re-interpret" senate rules with a simple majority vote, there is essentially no limit to a determined majority leader's power.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Concerned Citizen posted:

they could, but then also the senate could simply change the rules with 50 votes and vp. since we decided that you can "re-interpret" senate rules with a simple majority vote, there is essentially no limit to a determined majority leader's power.

then force them to do it. you wont get anything done by saying how it can fail then assuming it happens anyway

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Agean90 posted:

then force them to do it. you wont get anything done by saying how it can fail then assuming it happens anyway

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The dems aren't gonna do poo poo for repercussions for the ones that vote yes, either.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The funniest possible outcome is Paul, Collins and murkowski vote no and 3 Dems vote Yes and the press just covers it as a 51-49 party line vote so that's what's gonna happen

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I love for a lifetime appointment to handpick their own successor to almost no outrage, it's so quintessentially american

https://twitter.com/qrush/status/1016523009174237184

all the maybes lining up in the D camp, lookin to succ on some scotus dick

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Stop being so pessimistic. McCain could die today! :v:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Concerned Citizen posted:

Quorum requirement is in the Constitution

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Lets send it to the SC so they can rule the constitution unconstitutional and really get this thing going

If society is going to collapse it may as well get on with it

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

The senate presumes a quorum is met, so you would need at least 1 Dem senator on hand to ask for a roll call vote. Otherwise the Republicans can just presume quorum is met and approve by unanimous consent.

So with McCain out you still would have 51 senators. Even with 50 the Senate could probably rule Pence in as enough to make quorum or some dumb poo poo.

HiHo ChiRho has issued a correction as of 14:35 on Jul 10, 2018

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
lmbo at all of you doubting our strong and good boy joe manchin

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
succ

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1016681688292909056

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Agean90 posted:

that's what happened with gorsuch, and the end result was that they lol'ed and did it anyway so whatever. the dude is gonna get confirmed

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/1016689753675034624?s=20

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/mekosoff/status/1016600214394822658

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
that queer eye show is horrific

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
dems are a mess

dems are a waste

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

quote:

Schumer has told colleagues that reviving complaints about the Garland process will be ineffective, referring to Republicans’ refusal to consider Barack Obama’s nomination of Merrick Garland.  Instead the party needs to attack the nominee specifically, Schumer’s team has advised Senate offices, according to Democratic aides who requested anonymity because they are not authorized to speak publicly.

:thunk:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Al! posted:

My wife likes it and has had it on in the background while I do nerd poo poo before; my main critique is that there's really no reason beyond gimmick for the main cast to be 100% stereotype flamboyant gay dudes (only one of them is a Fashion Expert anyway; one of them is literally just a cooking/diet expert and one is just a life coach) and they keep revamping everybody's houses to look like boutique hotel rooms which feels soulless

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
cuuuuuuck chuck

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

My wife likes it and has had it on in the background while I do nerd poo poo before; my main critique is that there's really no reason beyond gimmick for the main cast to be 100% stereotype flamboyant gay dudes (only one of them is a Fashion Expert anyway; one of them is literally just a cooking/diet expert and one is just a life coach) and they keep revamping everybody's houses to look like boutique hotel rooms which feels soulless

a lot of women i know love the show, often speaking about its ability to bring people to tears

apparently its all about empowerment and uplifting, which frankly is pretty cool

i haven't seen it, but if it makes people feel good about themselves, then i think its fine

edit: on a more serious note, we're totally hosed, huh? all this news is pretty depressing. how are the dems so astoundingly incapable?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

RaySmuckles posted:

a lot of women i know love the show, often speaking about its ability to bring people to tears

apparently its all about empowerment and uplifting, which frankly is pretty cool

i haven't seen it, but if it makes people feel good about themselves, then i think its fine

edit: on a more serious note, we're totally hosed, huh? all this news is pretty depressing. how are the dems so astoundingly incapable?

Yeah it's definitely less judgey than I assumed it would be (although I have never paid full attention to an entire episode so YMMV) and there's a lot of confidence-building type stuff which is good

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The food guy made guac and added cream. So gross.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
there is essentially nothing the Dems can do to stop the Kavanaugh nom from passing, unless a couple of GOP senators either vote with the Dems or suddenly die. and both are extremely unlikely

the important thing now is to look to the future, because this is a long-term problem: even if the Dems win the presidency and the Senate in 2020, none of the conservative justices are going to retire in that term, and there's a decent chance that they'll all make it through the 2024-2028 term too. so if the Dems want to do anything about the conservative majority Trump has created, it won't be enough to just control the presidency and Congress - they'll also need to break norms and pack the court or something

that is the next fight. that, and taking over as many state legislatures as possible so that they can get rid of all the lovely state laws that'll pop up once Roe and Brown are overturned

give up on the current seat. the Dems already lost that fight. the time to make a big deal about it was two years ago. now, there's nothing left to do but look to the future, commit to plans to undo the damage Trump has done, and plan to purge the hell out of every Dem who votes for Kav or even says a kind word about him

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The Democrats don't want to control state houses though because the ultra wealthy liberal donor base is concentrated into like 5 states so why care about anywhere else

Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

Al! posted:

Queer eye show is old as hell.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Missingnoleader posted:

Queer eye show is old as hell.

They brought it back with new gays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Main Paineframe posted:

there is essentially nothing the Dems can do to stop the Kavanaugh nom from passing, unless a couple of GOP senators either vote with the Dems or suddenly die. and both are extremely unlikely

the important thing now is to look to the future, because this is a long-term problem: even if the Dems win the presidency and the Senate in 2020, none of the conservative justices are going to retire in that term, and there's a decent chance that they'll all make it through the 2024-2028 term too. so if the Dems want to do anything about the conservative majority Trump has created, it won't be enough to just control the presidency and Congress - they'll also need to break norms and pack the court or something

that is the next fight. that, and taking over as many state legislatures as possible so that they can get rid of all the lovely state laws that'll pop up once Roe and Brown are overturned

give up on the current seat. the Dems already lost that fight. the time to make a big deal about it was two years ago. now, there's nothing left to do but look to the future, commit to plans to undo the damage Trump has done, and plan to purge the hell out of every Dem who votes for Kav or even says a kind word about him

is there any scenario where court packing doesn't quickly descend into constitutional crisis levels of absurdity? like in order to do it, first you'd have to abolish the legislative filibuster (since the court size is set by law, not just precedent). then you'd probably be declaring nuclear option to remove all rules that allow the minority to obstruct. after that, you are just confirming as many justices as you can - literally hundreds - as there is absolutely no reason to not do that. and as soon as the gop gets a senate majority/wh combo again, they then do the exact same thing back. i don't see how it's a desirable or realistic path.

i mean it'd be funny, like watching your government become a complete trainwreck, but also would not be funny because it'd be hosed up and somehow even more dysfunctional.

• Locked thread