Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

signalnoise posted:

It blows my mind that fighting games have combos that work, identified by the game developers having put those combos into a training/trial mode with an option to have the game demonstrate that combo to you, but those combos don't get used by the AI opponents even at the hardest difficulty.
It's just easier to have M. Bison read your inputs and stomp you repeatedly. I'm not great at fighting games, but it should feel like the CPU is clowning on me with ridiculous cool moves instead of that bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

poverty goat posted:

I think it's just that there are better ways to do physics now which are GPU-agnostic and don't require anyone to license anything from nvidia

Well the ppu cards were just extra cores without vram so it operated the same but it just offloaded all the physx stuff to that card just like you can do now and make the cpu do it. The main problem was it wasnt really cheap enough, you could just buy another graphics card basically, and sli was just taking off.

Nvidia has a bunch of articles recently saying they are looking into gpgpu ai again and focusing on it so in a few short decades i imagine a gimped gimmick version will be in our hands lol.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Some video games are better than others but it's all subjective

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Laslow posted:

It's just easier to have M. Bison read your inputs and stomp you repeatedly. I'm not great at fighting games, but it should feel like the CPU is clowning on me with ridiculous cool moves instead of that bullshit.

They don't do that either

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Chomp8645 posted:

Strategy games don't need AI to be the reincarnation of Napoleon, but they DO need to be able to function without tripping over the basic mechanics to the point of embarrassment.

When you have poo poo like Civ 5 where the AI just cannot handle the combat system at all or Stellaris where you conquer planets well into the mid or late game and it's just full of undeveloped land with starving pops, it's just ridiculous. The AI doesn't need to display a deep and naunced understanding of The Art of War but it does need to function within it's own drat game. Or if they AI just can't handle it, change your loving mechanics.

That's where the Total War folks got it right. They mold the game to the AI where necessary. After enough tries they realized the AI just couldn't manage siege equipment and was never going to. So now all infantry can spawn ladders and gates can be bashed down (more slowly) without a ram. Does it seem slightly silly at first? Maybe, but in previous games siege battles against AI were always a loving joke and now they aren't (thanks to that change and others).

Well, the idea was to make civ 5's combat more tactical on the map, and that's exactly the thing it's really really hard to do with AI. The inspiration was Panzer General, but PG had a lot of design around its limitations that made it work: non-random maps, scenario design that's mostly a race against time, fixed setups for the AI units, etc. The AI in actuality was mostly braindead, keeping defensive units still and beelining for vulnerable units with their few mobile assets in an extremely dumb way. It worked because the scenario was working against you.

For example, the AI in Through the Ages, a board game designed to emulate civ actually has a fairly solid AI because the map is eschewed entirely. These maps introduce a lot of really small, obvious, and consequential decisions on a massive scale that, i'm not sure could be done by current AI programmers.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The thing is, Civ 5 / 6 AI can't grasp even such concepts as "bring a ranged unit to attack a city" or "don't bring infantry into enemy range if you are just going to move back the next turn". Hell, in CIv 6 it generally was unable to attack even stationary targets at all, or would declare wars without having an army, at least in the early versions I played.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Sid Vicious posted:

2edgy4me

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

steinrokkan posted:

The thing is, Civ 5 / 6 AI can't grasp even such concepts as "bring a ranged unit to attack a city" or "don't bring infantry into enemy range if you are just going to move back the next turn". Hell, in CIv 6 it generally was unable to attack even stationary targets at all, or would declare wars without having an army, at least in the early versions I played.

Yeah, as I said, most game A.I. today don't even exhaust what's currently available to them. Civ A.I. is distractingly bad. Especially in diplomacy.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Sid Vicious posted:

We got a badass here...

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

steinrokkan posted:

It's way, way easier to say that than to make it work within the parameters of a civ game where the AI plays by the same rules you do.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Panzeh posted:

It's way, way easier to say that than to make it work within the parameters of a civ game where the AI plays by the same rules you do.

Civ is really simplistic even for a turn based hex game, there's no excuse for the AI not managing even the bare basics that other, much smaller games mostly know how to do.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

steinrokkan posted:

Civ is really simplistic even for a turn based hex game, there's no excuse for the AI not managing even the bare basics that other, much smaller games mostly know how to do.

Other, much smaller games tend to have a lot less going on, or don't have to deal with random maps and/or severely limited geometry. Also their AI still often fails.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
It's pretty funny how the Civ game with the best diplomacy and AI is Beyond Earth with the expansion. At least the AI actively tries to win in it, and you can get all kinds of agreements with them.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The Sega Genesis was better than the Super Nintendo.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

punk rebel ecks posted:

This is the unpopular opinion thread.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

punk rebel ecks posted:

That's mostly dependant on what type of games you wanted to play. Genesis has fuckall for decent RPGs.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Sorry your parents couldn't afford the better console

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

SpazmasterX posted:

That's mostly dependant on what type of games you wanted to play. Genesis has fuckall for decent RPGs.

True. Though the Sega CD had a decently selection

TheScott2K posted:

Sorry your parents couldn't afford the better console

I had both growing up.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

SpazmasterX posted:

Is this gonna be another one of those opinions that boils down to "squaresoft was on SNES" because the Genesis had a pretty decent selection of rpgs

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I respect every single opinion in this thread, even if I don't personally find it to be the case

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Day of defeat deserves a modern release that is actually good.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the best game in the Heroes of Might and Magic series is 7

e: oh poo poo i already did this one give me a minute

DOTA refined and distilled the core RTS loops so well that it revolutionized the genre to a point where neither the new guard or the old guard will acknowledge the simple truth that MOBAs are RTS games.

Prav fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 11, 2018

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I've never understood how anyone actually think's the story/writing of MGS is "good". I can see entertaining because of how bugfuck crazy it all is, but it's a pile of really dumb :words:.

Plus whatever chance they had to redeem it died when the 4th one didn't end with Snake blowing his head off.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Sid Vicious posted:

I respect every single opinion in this thread, even if I don't personally find it to be the case

this is the dumbest opinion in here and you are the dumbest person

your move

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

LethalGeek posted:

I've never understood how anyone actually think's the story/writing of MGS is "good". I can see entertaining because of how bugfuck crazy it all is, but it's a pile of really dumb :words:.

Plus whatever chance they had to redeem it died when the 4th one didn't end with Snake blowing his head off.

That would have been a terrible ending so I’m glad they didn’t.

Sid Vicious posted:

El Cowardo

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Jeza posted:

your move

You are handsome

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Jeza posted:

your move

What he wrote is not an opinion but is actually a statement of fact about his own position

get rekt

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Day of defeat deserves a modern release that is actually good.

1redflag posted:

This is the unpopular opinion thread.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Prav posted:

DOTA refined and distilled the core RTS loops so well that it revolutionized the genre to a point where neither the new guard or the old guard will acknowledge the simple truth that MOBAs are RTS games.

Well, DOTA was UMS map for Warcraft 3... there really isn't any arguing against it being a RTS.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

LethalGeek posted:

Tbh that's all I really need in a video game. Plus Koj has a lot of cool concepts going on he just has no idea how to string them together into a coherent story.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

MGS has an amazing story because Kojima is a modern day Nostradamus

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Metal Gear Solid got so much attention story wise because it was the most film-like thing in the medium. Today the games seem like nothing special, but back in the 90s and early 2000s seeing a game that blended videogame and film so seemlessly was incredible.

The series essentially invented the AAA game. A film styled script, Hollywood score, cinematography, and individually voiced characters. This was very impressive at a time when most other games focused on cinematic cutscenes only during intros and rare ten second clips.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 11, 2018

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Fried Watermelon posted:

MGS has an amazing story because Kojima is a modern day Nostradamus

https://youtu.be/iwy-ECE9zXU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Every game should have an option to unlock all content immediately.

I remember explaining to my dad you needed a code to unlock a secret bike in Road Rash 2 and him legitimately getting mad you wouldn't get the full experience if you didn't know about that.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

steinrokkan posted:

Every game should have an option to unlock all content immediately.

Any game that is a series of challenges/setpieces/sequences etc or is plot driven (like action games, rpgs, shooters etc) should have the ability to skip to the next section if the one you're on

Anything where you choose a thing to do from a menu (driving games, puzzle games, sports games, fighting games, music games etc) should have all content that alters the game in any way, even cosmetic, unlocked from the start (cars, skins, costumes, songs, puzzles etc).

Any other bonus content (concept art, soundtrack etc) idgaf about because who the gently caress sits in a video game menu playing music lol

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I've been waiting on A.I and NPC behaviour to improve in games ever since I realized how cool it was when monsters in Doom would start fighting eachother if you lined them up so they shot eachother. I feel like that is where all the cool future poo poo will come from, not realistic graphics displaying some characters pimples in high def ultra FX

I feel like enemy A.I took a big stride forwards with Half-Life and then another babystep with F.E.A.R and then nothing happened until present day. Every FPS game is still about shooting completely braindead idiots who mostly just stand around or take cover in completely retarded places while you blow them away. There's always never coordinated efforts of groups of enemies or them doing something unexpected. It's always "hide behind nearest prop and take potshots at player"

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i have a feeling solo game design has stalled out in general due to game companies going all in on multiplayer only experiences designed to exploit weaknesses in our brain that drug addictions and gambling take advantage of

so basically aside from some niche areas, expect AI to stall out.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

"Power leveling" is the single stupidest video game concept that has ever existed. Like it's supposed to be a selling point when someone offers to let me skip the whole game if I play with them. "dude play with me and I'll have you at max level in 10 minutes". Wow this game is so bad that not a single second of it is worth playing if I don't have to?! Let me just bust my credit card out now, that sounds so fun!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Leveling up is an annoying mechanic to begin with. If there's going to be some kind of power unlock kind of thing as you play a game more, I strongly prefer giving players more options for character specialization rather than outright improvements. I've heard the rebuttal of "what if someone prefers the starting loadout to anything potentially more interesting, and the game never changes for them?" Well who the gently caress cares, am I supposed to be irritated that someone liked a game from the start?

Focus on making your gameplay fun at its core instead of telling the player it'll be fun later. Dumbest poo poo in the world is when someone tries to sell you on a game and is like "stick with it, it gets really good after like 15 hours."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
the REAL game starts 40 hours in at level cap!

That's when you get to do some shallow content and then repeat that content hundreds of times because there's no other content