Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I dunno, now I'm kinda interested in the idea of Frieza encountering Broly and getting pummeled for a while. Maybe play Disturbed's cover of "The Sound of Silence" while its going on so we can add in the nostalgic feel of Nu-Metal that the old movies had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

New Leaf posted:

I dunno, now I'm kinda interested in the idea of Frieza encountering Broly and getting pummeled for a while. Maybe play Disturbed's cover of "The Sound of Silence" while its going on so we can add in the nostalgic feel of Nu-Metal that the old movies had.

Freezy-Breeze's entire Saiyan Hatred is revealed in this movie as Kakarot and Broly coming up to him as a dorky kid and kicking sand in his face.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks

Raxivace posted:

I would pay money to know what this guy thinks of the announcement of this movie and for a review of the film from him when this comes out.

OC don't steal!

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Well now I'm expecting for the remastered films are hints of what to expect of the new movie. Bardock and Gogeta, here we come.

Bardock will show up in a flashback. Vegeta will have no reason to refuse doing the Fusion Dance before the final fight with Broly now that hes danced in front of the Bingo Tournament.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Okay actually it would be really neat if Broly had been on ice this whole time and is still loyal to Freeza.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Before 2030 Toriyama will bring back every character from the films into mainstream dragon ball canon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Crabtree posted:

Before 2030 Toriyama will bring back every character from the films into mainstream dragon ball canon.

Oh boy, can't wait for Piccolo to be even more canon.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

I am not mad about broly. I accepted him years ago.

He will be a good guy in the end, and Goku's friend.

The movie ends with Broly singing karaoke with Yamcha.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Rhonne posted:

The movie ends with Broly singing karaoke with Yamcha.

Somehow this kills the Yamcha.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

In surprisingly shocking news,

https://twitter.com/DBReduxTDC/status/1016493141690634245
https://twitter.com/DBReduxTDC/status/1016494763007270912

Heroes is leaving Japan. The impossible is happening.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

What they could do is port it to the switch since arcades are dead dead dead outside of Japan. Do the heroes cards use NFC or some kind of propietary weird stuff?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I just watched the first episode of Heroes and it loving sucks. Heroes sucksssss

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

multijoe posted:

I hope at the end of the film Beerus meets Broly and hakais him, then turns to the camera and says 'he wasn't that strong'

I Broly beats him, Jiren, Freiza, Goku, and Superman (easily) while just shouting "Kakarrto" and the film ending with the Omni King going 'poo poo he's really cool'

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rigged Death Trap posted:

What they could do is port it to the switch since arcades are dead dead dead outside of Japan. Do the heroes cards use NFC or some kind of propietary weird stuff?

They're not that dead in America. Little game-center arcades are dead, but Dave & Buster's type places are thriving (because people like booze and people like doing fun dumb poo poo while trashed), and I honestly think these card-type games would be pretty appealing to those places because it's a reason to keep coming back to the particular one that has it.

e: also I legit hope there's at least one nu-metal song in the new Broly movie, yeah

e2: also, seriously, I'm really surprised at the reaction to this movie? I loving love Broly and seeing everyone be like "OH JESUS REALLY? BROLY? WHY" is extremely weird to me. Dude's a big fuckin anger beast who spent most of the first movie smashing everyone into the dirt while nu-metal played, that rules.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 10, 2018

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

People in this thread love to be contrarian

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Stairmaster posted:

NO WE DON'T!!! /s

Caros
May 14, 2008

NutritiousSnack posted:

I Broly beats him, Jiren, Freiza, Goku, and Superman (easily) while just shouting "Kakarrto" and the film ending with the Omni King going 'poo poo he's really cool'

I would cry tears of joy to see both omni kings joyfully yelling 'KAKARROTO!" because they think broly is hot poo poo.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

also, seriously, I'm really surprised at the reaction to this movie? I loving love Broly and seeing everyone be like "OH JESUS REALLY? BROLY? WHY" is extremely weird to me. Dude's a big fuckin anger beast who spent most of the first movie smashing everyone into the dirt while nu-metal played, that rules.

dbz is another series where there's a relatively large number of fans who have had abridged series memes (IE the specific opinions of one guy on youtube) take over their mind. also people who at the same time like to justify all the dumb stuff in the "canon" series with "well it's just dragon ball, don't take it so seriously lol" somehow get really mad at the characters backstory/arbitrary power level and try to pretend that one is somehow different from the other using vague terms like "tone".

there's also an element of pure contrarianism at play here, since there's an undercurrent of "I don't want to be like THOSE people who like broly, so I have to actively denounce him", which is an element that's been strengthened by the girl saiyans because now there's wackos saying poo poo like broly coming back is somehow destroying feminism because that one girl who was just a blatant homage to the character anyway akin to the alternate world freiza would totally have had a bunch of screentime if only broly wasn't now canon.

TLDR: people take their animated version of pro wrestling really seriously while trying to pretend they don't, broly is giving them the vapors by living in their head rent free due to going from "that big guy from a movie with cool animation" to "the embodiment of everything badwrong about this thing I like, the satan of anime" in their minds.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 10, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
that's completely insane and i really wish we could all just enjoy the smashy angry musclebeast

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
The smash angry musclebeast is one of my favorite characters so I'm extremely looking forward to this movie.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Broly and his movies are all boring poo poo.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's true, everyone who dislikes what I like is being contrarian and they have no real opinions because they blindly follow TFS, and thus are wrong in any and all ways.

C'mon. People can dislike Broly. He has no personality beyond KAKARROOOOOTTTTTT, the most stupid backstory in the series that's taken completely seriously, and starred in three movies of which one was okay and then two were some of the worst garbage imaginable. And of course, he was then put front-and-center in every Dragon Ball-related material despite how even Toriyama had no idea who this guy is.

He punches good, I guess? He's pretty lovely, and this kind of pandering is lovely as well. It really just killed any interest I had in the movie, which is a bummer when Super was some of the most fun I've ever had and Shintani's animation is gorgeous.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Funky Valentine posted:

like i'll completely give you that the other Broly movies are Not Great, Bio-Broly is honestly the worst of the original movies imo

but Broly himself loving owns and that first movie is unironically the best original one not called Fusion Reborn

seriously, Broly is every stylistic thing about DBZ taken to its absolute extreme. he's a grotesque funhouse mirror version of Goku who exists solely and singularly to gently caress everyone's poo poo up. most DBZ villains have a reason to exist and to get involved in the plot beyond "gently caress YOU GOKU," but that is the absolute long and short of Broly's motivations.

most DBZ villains are people. Broly is a force of nature that just happens to be pointed straight at Goku. that rules.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I like anime hulk. His first movie was fun and his frame and design just makes him looks so unlike anything else in Dragonball that I enjoy him.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
also if we were all going off Abridged memes, Abridged Broly is legit loving terrifying so you'd think that wouldn't play in

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yeah the dude whose own defenders concede doesn't having a personality fuckin' rules

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
His personality, what small glimpse we got of it in the first movie, is smug sociopath with a severe case of Goku hatred. Honestly that's good enough for me.

Side note: my phone auto corrects Goku to Holy.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Bumper Stickup posted:

Side note: my phone auto corrects Goku to Holy.

Well, he did have the chance to become a god, twice. He said no both times, but that is pretty holy. And he is a deity, too, at least whenever his hair turns red or blue, possibly white as well.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Bumper Stickup posted:

His personality, what small glimpse we got of it in the first movie, is smug sociopath with a severe case of Goku hatred. Honestly that's good enough for me.
I mean that's about the same amount of personality as about 90% of Dragon Ball villains so it's all good.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
like don't get me wrong, if Broly was the template for all future DBZ villains that would be retarded. you can't have a personality-less force of nature every single arc; hell, Jiren was already a little too light on personality for the TOP to work.

but there is a grand total of one Broly, and with that in mind, having him directly contrast all the other villains in that way is pretty great.

(Kale is her own thing and just kinda like Broly; I was going to say there's two Brolys and Kale is basically Smart Broly, but... that kinda makes her not like Broly at all beyond hulking out)

(Broly no longer looks like a word to me)

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

We are just following in the spirit of Goku: Always be Fighting.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TheLoneStar posted:

I mean that's about the same amount of personality as about 90% of Dragon Ball villains so it's all good.

No one in Dragon Ball is terribly nuanced, but the best villains (Vegeta, Frieza, Beerus, Zamasu) all have strong, distinctive personalities that makes them entertaining to watch even when they're not punching someone

It's sad how many Dragon Ball fans seem to hold the series in contempt :(

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The first Broly movie owns and I have no doubt the new Broly movie will own. So suck it, monkeys.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

like i'll completely give you that the other Broly movies are Not Great, Bio-Broly is honestly the worst of the original movies imo

but Broly himself loving owns and that first movie is unironically the best original one not called Fusion Reborn

seriously, Broly is every stylistic thing about DBZ taken to its absolute extreme. he's a grotesque funhouse mirror version of Goku who exists solely and singularly to gently caress everyone's poo poo up. most DBZ villains have a reason to exist and to get involved in the plot beyond "gently caress YOU GOKU," but that is the absolute long and short of Broly's motivations.

most DBZ villains are people. Broly is a force of nature that just happens to be pointed straight at Goku. that rules.

I don't like Broly because he goes against the fight choreography/spirit of the series. Until Jiren, we never had an unstoppable character than can just walk through characters' strongest attacks and don't care (and even Jiren sold some things early on), because the series was always about how an underdog can pull some poo poo out of their rear end and have it work, so everyone had to always be on some kind of guard. This made fight choreography fun, since, say, SSB Goku *still* has to dodge kienzans and stuff. It's also what series like JoJos have been able to completely avoid with varied powersets.

Brolly movie was just him standing there smiling while everyone wailed on him and closelined them from time to time for like 20 minutes and it was boring as poo poo. It didn't help that it started with Android 13 in the movie before, and that was also as boring as poo poo.

I doubt Toriyama will write him that way since he typically avoids that in general.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e2: also, seriously, I'm really surprised at the reaction to this movie? I loving love Broly and seeing everyone be like "OH JESUS REALLY? BROLY? WHY" is extremely weird to me. Dude's a big fuckin anger beast who spent most of the first movie smashing everyone into the dirt while nu-metal played, that rules.

There's a lot of legitimate criticisms regarding Broly. Dragonball is a show where time and time again the most powerful characters are always the least intimidating visually (Vegeta, Final form Freeza) while the bulkiest characters are often the weakest (Swole Trunks, Mr. Satan, every World Martial Arts Tournament runner-up), but Broly circumvents that classic Toriyama-esque design sense. Then there's the fact that his backstory is super dumb but without even a hint of Toriyama's trademark tongue-in-cheek humor (this baby has a power level of One Million! But he went insane because Baby Kakarot cried a lot! Now he's become an unstoppable murder machine!) Then in the end he dies because Goku punches him really, really hard.

But mostly I think it's because 2/3 of his movies were objectively hot garbage.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Darko posted:

I don't like Broly because he goes against the fight choreography/spirit of the series. Until Jiren, we never had an unstoppable character than can just walk through characters' strongest attacks and don't care (and even Jiren sold some things early on), because the series was always about how an underdog can pull some poo poo out of their rear end and have it work, so everyone had to always be on some kind of guard. This made fight choreography fun, since, say, SSB Goku *still* has to dodge kienzans and stuff. It's also what series like JoJos have been able to completely avoid with varied powersets.

Brolly movie was just him standing there smiling while everyone wailed on him and closelined them from time to time for like 20 minutes and it was boring as poo poo. It didn't help that it started with Android 13 in the movie before, and that was also as boring as poo poo.

I doubt Toriyama will write him that way since he typically avoids that in general.

:agreed:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
To be fair, Broly going insane is both a consequence of his hate boner for Goku and essentially being mindfucked for years by his own father.

Speaking of, Paragus' current VA is listed among the staff for the new film.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

*praying Toriyama makes this film be good so Broly will, finally, FINALLY not be lame as heck* :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Alan_Shore posted:

The first Broly movie owns and I have no doubt the new Broly movie will own. So suck it, monkeys.

What is your opinion about Bio-Broly though?