Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

I mean. AN onlooker. Not Onlookers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Roblo posted:

Elon Musk I now, I kid you not, getting lovely at the Thais on twitter. He's posted correspondence with some guy who was involved in the rescue. Seems like he didn't like how his equipment was dismissed.

Such a loving baby.

I wondered what stage of Howard Hughesing Elon is in, but I think this is a completely new track of evolution for tech crazies.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Roblo posted:

Elon Musk I now, I kid you not, getting lovely at the Thais on twitter. He's posted correspondence with some guy who was involved in the rescue. Seems like he didn't like how his equipment was dismissed.

Such a loving baby.

post it I loving need it

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

World War Mammories posted:

post it I loving need it

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1016684366083190785

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

That ratio is loving depressing.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I thought Elon Musk was more of an ideas guy than an engineer, but now I've seen his proposal for this rescue, I know he isn't even that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Haha

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Not Operator posted:

I thought Elon Musk was more of an ideas guy than an engineer, but now I've seen his proposal for this rescue, I know he isn't even that.

He's a "I have a lot of money, so you better treat me like a special genius boy or I will take my ball (of money) and go home" guy

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Seems he developed a plan c, but plan a worked

What's wrong with that?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Not Operator posted:

Elon Musk is pretty far from a genius. He was born into wealth and didn't even found Tesla; he showed up after they had already been working on an electric car (modified from an existing prototype from another guy), joined the board of directors, and shoveled over $7 million of his personal fortune into it. His only degrees are Bachelors in physics and economics and he dropped out of a Ph.D program after two days.

Virtually all of the work done by Tesla, SpaceX, and the Boring Company is done by other people. He just comes up with wild ideas and throws money at it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It turns out when your family is rich is hell and made it all off the backs of apartheid slave labor, there's a good chance you're going to be a huge piece of poo poo.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

They didn't drop plan A and B immediately.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

fisting by many posted:

What's wrong with that?

He thinks his plan c should've immediately become plan a, because it was, you know, HIS plan.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also he said that his submarine could have totally maneuvered through those tight bends, despite looking to have a totally inflexible metal shell and one of those bends being dry at the top so the divers would have had to try and haul an entire loving mini sub with a kid in it over a ledge.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

fisting by many posted:

What's wrong with that?

Because he's leveraging his plan C (C is also being very generous) as a way to generate publicity about himself and making it all about him/his genius.

Edit: It should also be noted that this useless hunk of metal is now in the middle of their rescue efforts, diverting resources and attention by having to deal with it. You're asking for validation of a billionaire's equivalent of someone dumping a bunch of old junk for a relief effort charity drive, which now needs resources to be sorted, likely deemed useless, and disposed of.

GrandpaPants has a new favorite as of 16:36 on Jul 10, 2018

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

fisting by many posted:

What's wrong with that?

His plan C was less tested than the Personal Protection Equipment janitors use cleaning toilets in a situation where there needs to be asbolutely no doubt in the equipment.

Like, there's sooo much you are overlooking by saying this. He's an adult ceo, the expectation is that he needs to be way more thoughtful than "well, at least he tried"

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

World War Mammories posted:

post it I loving need it

Sorry was phoneposting at the time, but was so enraged when I saw it I had to post.

Don't read the comments. As always. One of his supporters said the rescue was down to "western ideas" and "toxic masculinity".

More negative comments than usual, at least.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Roblo posted:

Such a loving baby.

what a loving baby back bitch

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1016677638012841984

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

So wait, you get a pardon for serial arson of federal land? Jokes on us

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Junkie Disease posted:

So wait, you get a pardon for serial arson of federal land? Jokes on us

Only if you also abuse your teenage relative to force them to hide your crimes.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

and no one got paid overtime

also this is fun

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1016686032907931656

just put a kid back in there to test it Elon

just do it

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

fisting by many posted:

What's wrong with that?

there was absolutely no reason for him to develop a plan C in the first place. he's only doing it for the publicity because he wants people to hail him as some kind of tech pope. he heard about all these kids trapped in a cave and he barged in shouting "I'll start the wiki!"

dude is an unabashed fame hound and this is bad because he's just another lovely exploitative industrialist (he specifically avoids industry safety standards in his factories because of ~disruption~) but because he does things that make self described rationalist nerds moist in the jorts like play with flamethrowers and rockets he gets away with poo poo those same nerds still hate bill gates over

Mr. Fall Down Terror has a new favorite as of 18:04 on Jul 10, 2018

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Yeah he just needs to disrupt poo poo, even if it doesn't need to be disrupted

Technology is a hammer and everything is a nail to him

If there were logistic issues, lack of oxigen bottles, stuff like that, and he bought a shitton for them and had them transported, I'd applaud his effort. I mean, I don't really care that he built a submarine, but in my eyes he's no hero for that and it doesn't offset the horrible poo poo he does to his workers

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

orange sky posted:

Yeah he just needs to disrupt poo poo, even if it doesn't need to be disrupted

Technology is a hammer and everything is a nail to him

If there were logistic issues, lack of oxigen bottles, stuff like that, and he bought a shitton for them and had them transported, I'd applaud his effort. I mean, I don't really care that he built a submarine, but in my eyes he's no hero for that and it doesn't offset the horrible poo poo he does to his workers

Re: the submarine. I'm extremely sceptical that theyd have been able to get it in there. I've dived, and i do a fair bit of confined space work currently (never combined the two though, gently caress that) and its really difficult manhandling kit in each of those situations, let alone cave diving.

I can't see how it was ever viable, and given that the kids were in a safe place (safe being relative) it was never going to be a go-er.

I also do a fair bit of work with floods at the moment, and the absolute worst thing is some celebrity or politician coming to have a look around/get some publicity. Takes a massive amount of resources. So all his fans going "at least you tried", eugh, no. gently caress off.

As you said, send pumps, generators, scuba gear, food, lighting, comms equipment. Say you sent it, then shut the hell up and let the professionals do the work.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Musk is such a huge loving baby that if the dude didn't go "sure do whatever you want" and actually said his idea was worthless he would have had a tantrum.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Roblo posted:

Re: the submarine. I'm extremely sceptical that theyd have been able to get it in there. I've dived, and i do a fair bit of confined space work currently (never combined the two though, gently caress that) and its really difficult manhandling kit in each of those situations, let alone cave diving.

Hmm yes, good idea Ol' Musky your submarine is definitely going to fit through there
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/07/06/world/asia/thai-cave-rescue.html
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44695232

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Roblo posted:

yeah no the submarine is completely pointless and would not have helped at all, and when people pointed this out the musk fellators pivoted generally to "well it might help someone else" like there's dozens of kids trapped in caves just dying because we need someone to invent a child submarine that can navigate caves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnbSkPXDEP0&t=134s

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

orange sky posted:

just put a kid back in there to test it Elon

just do it

Tesla stock price receives significant boost after CEO announces plan to kidnap Thai children for submarine testing

"I'll show them, I'll show them all," the controversial billionaire explained in a post on Reddit Tuesday morning.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/SSYGrunt/status/1016443924838219776

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
He's an Idea Guy that has the money to waste on his terrible ideas

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Is it too late to have a kickstarter for the magic school sub?

$10,000 and you get to be one of the first to die in it

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
If only I had a billion dollars so that I could send a single airtight child-sized coffin halfway round the world and share it on Twitter. There'd be statues of me in every city!

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
oh yeah and this

https://www.marieclaire.com/sex-love/a5380/millionaire-starter-wife/

quote:

Still, there were warning signs. As we danced at our wedding reception, Elon told me, "I am the alpha in this relationship." I shrugged it off, just as I would later shrug off signing the postnuptial agreement, but as time went on, I learned that he was serious. He had grown up in the male-dominated culture of South Africa, and the will to compete and dominate that made him so successful in business did not magically shut off when he came home. This, and the vast economic imbalance between us, meant that in the months following our wedding, a certain dynamic began to take hold. Elon's judgment overruled mine, and he was constantly remarking on the ways he found me lacking. "I am your wife," I told him repeatedly, "not your employee."

"If you were my employee," he said just as often, "I would fire you."

quote:

In the late spring of 2008, my wealthy entrepreneurial husband, Elon Musk, the father of my five young sons, filed for divorce. Six weeks later, he texted me to say he was engaged to a gorgeous British actress in her early 20s who had moved to Los Angeles to be with him. Her name is Talulah Riley, and she played one of the sisters in 2005's Pride and Prejudice. Two of the things that struck me were: a) Pride and Prejudice is a really good movie, and b) My life with this man had devolved to a cliché.

Throughout the divorce proceedings, his fiancée and I discovered we liked each other. People were puzzled that I didn't want to poke chopsticks in her eyeballs. "It's kind of like a French movie," observed a friend, and I sent Talulah an e-mail:

I would rather live out the French-movie version of things, in which the two women become friends and various philosophies are pondered, than the American version, in which one is "good" and one is "bad" and there's a huge catfight sequence and someone gets thrown off a balcony.

She responded, Let's do as the French do.

She is, by all accounts, a lovely, bright, and very young person, and better fitted to my ex-husband's lifestyle and personality than I ever was. Although she had dark hair when she and Elon first met, she is now blonder than I've ever been.

musk and riley married in 2010, divorced in 2012, married again in 2014, and divorced again in 2016

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

fisting by many posted:

What's wrong with that?

https://twitter.com/IllyBocean/status/1016200211201314816

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I'm trying to remember which actor was telling the story about how he was having a conversation with Musk at a party, someone came up to ask for a selfie, and Musk was heartbroken that she was talking to the actor and not him.

Anyway, a story in two parts:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Roblo posted:

I also do a fair bit of work with floods at the moment, and the absolute worst thing is some celebrity or politician coming to have a look around/get some publicity. Takes a massive amount of resources. So all his fans going "at least you tried", eugh, no. gently caress off.

Meanwhile, the country's prime minister did NOT go there specifically because of this fear.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Christ, can we not poo poo up yet another thread with elon-hate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Maybe we can trick him into building Lowtax a robospine.