Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

jBrereton posted:

we would trident them right in their argie faces without blinking an eye this time because it would just be too much going on all at once.

Don't nuke the bird sanctuary! :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Lord of Pie posted:

ideal situation would have been for England to lose around the same time Trump landed so he'd be stuck over there for the hooligan uprising

A hooligan uprising will occur whether we win or lose.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
it would be terrible if something bad happens to our fat orange bitch president while he's over there. I might cry

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

can someone explain something to me (USAmerican here) please. The reason not to just do-over the Brexit referendum seems to be because it would teach cryptofascist elements of British society that they should use violence instead of valid democratic process to achieve their objectives... isn’t that an unabashed good thing? like, doesn’t it totally delegitimize the political process for a bunch of people who have no business being part of it?

3 reasons;

1. The tories are the ones in power and do the most part they want to do Brexit
2. A majority of the country voted for it so just overturning it would be politically dicey
3. Straight up overturning it isn't that popular, a majority of people who voted to stay were in favour of a soft Brexit according to polls after the referendum

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
A small majority of the small amount that actually voted. Lets not act like its one half of the total population against the other.

I feel the leavers were more motivated. Should have been a mandatory vote but I don't know if that's legal.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Zeroisanumber posted:

Don't nuke the bird sanctuary! :ohdear:

Actually if you're gonna nuke something the falklands are not a bad choice, most of the fallout would land in the ocean and confining nuclear winter to the southern hemisphere would minimize casualties
:goonsay:

E: oh no wait the winds go the other way down there, it would be bad

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

can someone explain something to me (USAmerican here) please. The reason not to just do-over the Brexit referendum seems to be because it would teach cryptofascist elements of British society that they should use violence instead of valid democratic process to achieve their objectives... isn’t that an unabashed good thing? like, doesn’t it totally delegitimize the political process for a bunch of people who have no business being part of it?
The thing about British society is that there are a lot of reasons people voted for Brexit, including principally to really piss off the people who didn't want us to do it, who have done next to nothing for communities in Northern England and Wales other than take them for granted/write them off, for decades.

Not everyone who voted for Brexit is a cryptofascist (although plenty were), and there were certainly a lot of Remain voters who did not like the tone that high profile Remain supporters like Labour's deputy leader were taking about "reforming immigration" even if we stayed in the EU.

If you tell downtrodden people "you are scum, and the current system is not for your consumption" in a country that isn't full of inept cowards like the US, they will kill people, and they did, even when Brexit was just a question and not a reality. That is in fact neither cool nor good.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
footballs trying to come home but it'll probably get stopped in calais

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
John Carpenter's "Escape from London"

please make it happen

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
thanks

twoday
May 4, 2005

jBrereton posted:

The thing about British society is that there are a lot of reasons people voted for Brexit, including principally to really piss off the people who didn't want us to do it, who have done next to nothing for communities in Northern England and Wales other than take them for granted/write them off, for decades.

Not everyone who voted for Brexit is a cryptofascist (although plenty were), and there were certainly a lot of Remain voters who did not like the tone that high profile Remain supporters like Labour's deputy leader were taking about "reforming immigration" even if we stayed in the EU.

If you tell downtrodden people "you are scum, and the current system is not for your consumption" in a country that isn't full of inept cowards like the US, they will kill people, and they did, even when Brexit was just a question and not a reality. That is in fact neither cool nor good.

I’m here on the continent and late last year I was at a bar and came across a bunch of Brits who were visiting a friend and started hanging out with them and chatting. Eventually Brexit came up, and though a few of the lads seemed skeptical, there were a few that were really honestly convinced that it was a good idea, and that it would ultimately lead to some improvements for Britain and their own personal well-being, and they were vocal about it. They weren’t old nationalist farts and they didn’t seem to be idiots either, and would discuss whatever I brought up in a reasonable manner. Although generally appalled by their opinions, what struck me about that encounter in retrospect was that they spoke with a genuine air of pride and optimism, and they were beaming with hope; I could see that they really believed that this was the right thing to do and that it would ultimately have positive consequences. Even when I would bring up negative consequences of Brexit they would shrug it off because they knew it was all going to work out just fine. It reminded me of the hope and hype people had in America before Obama was elected, a belief that going forward with this would fix everything that bothered them about their country. Then at some point they started saying some horrible and inanely bigoted things that disgusted me, and I excused myself to go to the bathroom and left them to pay for my 4 drinks that were on the tab.

twoday has issued a correction as of 20:59 on Jul 10, 2018

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

If England get through to the final and then lose to France, the entire country will be aflame for a month.

twoday
May 4, 2005

UrbicaMortis posted:

If England get through to the final and then lose to France, the entire country will be aflame for a month.

It seems that there is a good chance that that will happen regardless

twoday
May 4, 2005

That reminds me, I have a book about the Great Fire of London in 1666 that I have been meaning to read

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

twoday posted:

It seems that there is a good chance that that will happen regardless

With the government disintergrating, the world cup and the fact it's still bloody boiling, I think it's a statistically small chance that the UK does not burn down by the end of july.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
it's coming home

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

fridge corn posted:

it's coming home

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

I thought the second Falklands war was when Jeremy Clarkson got ran out of Argentina by a mob

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Losing in the world cup semifinal and coming in 4th place overall lead to the collapse of the Brazilian government four years ago.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

fridge corn posted:

it's coming home

:eyepop:

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

hakimashou posted:

Losing in the world cup semifinal and coming in 4th place overall lead to the collapse of the Brazilian government four years ago.

Yeah but it's coming home.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

twoday posted:

Then at some point they started saying some horrible and inanely bigoted things that disgusted me, and I excused myself to go to the bathroom and left them to pay for my 4 drinks that were on the tab.

there's some sort of political metaphor here

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Hentai Jihadist posted:

All the sports America cares about are insanely ruled bloated and shitter versions of classic games like rugby and rounders.

None of them have anything on the majesty of the beautiful game though

It would be easier to accept your description if flopping wasn't a legitimate tactic and the rules discouraged playing to lose.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
In your deepest heart of hearts, would you rather win the world cup or stay in the EU?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

brexit is gonna be insanely bad and was totally stupid. going through with it will galvanise the racists as much as overturning it would, since it will give them a taste of success that then turns sour when they realise they haven't got St George's ethnostate that they wanted and so they will start blaming traitors, the EUSSR or commonwealth migrants
combined with the 20 year depression that its gonna bring this is all gonna get real nasty and we shouldn't do it. gently caress the referendum, our government has literally never cared about voters before this moment. democracy with a brain-poisoned electorate doesnt work

labour's plan seems to be to just let the tories drive us off a cliff and then wrest the wheel off them while we're in free fall so they have enough time to be blamed before we hit the rocks

e: it really annoys me that the UKMT regulars seem to have basically come up with really in depth explanations for why we have to be cowards cringing in the face of nigel farage and the EDL or just generally apathetic about it. Pretty much just because corbyn supports driving off the cliff

Relevant Tangent posted:

It would be easier to accept your description if flopping wasn't a legitimate tactic and the rules discouraged playing to lose.

actually the rules encourage winning, friend

the team who wins is the winner!

Communist Thoughts has issued a correction as of 01:42 on Jul 11, 2018

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

UrbicaMortis posted:

"The 100-(ish) Minutes War"

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Hentai Jihadist posted:

labour's plan seems to be to just let the tories drive us off a cliff and then wrest the wheel off them while we're in free fall so they have enough time to be blamed before we hit the rocks

e: it really annoys me that the UKMT regulars seem to have basically come up with really in depth explanations for why we have to be cowards cringing in the face of nigel farage and the EDL or just generally apathetic about it. Pretty much just because corbyn supports driving off the cliff

I think the argument is that we basically already drove off the cliff when cameron committed to a referendum with no safeguards and/or the condem coalition destroyed our economy with austerity and/or forty years of hell neoliberalism. the actual process of brexit is the free fall

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Zeroisanumber posted:

"The 100-(ish) Minutes War"

They've won faster.

quote:

The Anglo-Zanzibar War was a military conflict fought between the United Kingdom and the Zanzibar Sultanate on 27 August 1896. The conflict lasted between 38 and 45 minutes, marking it as the shortest recorded war in history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Zanzibar_War

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

look you fucks. settle down. it’ll all be better when I’m home.

e: I’m actually amazed this name wasn’t taken

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
David Cameron will go down as the worst PM in history. The Brexit referendum set into motion the dissolution of the United Kingdom. Once Scotland leaves, northern Ireland is going to leave. At least y'all will still have Wales tho :laffo:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Lt. Danger posted:

I think the argument is that we basically already drove off the cliff when cameron committed to a referendum with no safeguards and/or the condem coalition destroyed our economy with austerity and/or forty years of hell neoliberalism. the actual process of brexit is the free fall
It's a silly argument.

People are honestly sick of hearing about the rolling stream of gently caress ups that is the Brexit "negotiations" (which even Labour idiotically carries on like is a negotiation, which is loving stupid, because it isn't; the EU decides what we get and that's that), and a well led opposition should have been publicly trying to convince people that it's a pile of shite and we shouldn't do it from day one, because it isn't a referendum that Labour in any sense owned.

The Tories wanted a referendum, for themselves, and it turns out to have not settled the question even in their own party. No surprise there. Now basically every job in the country is on the line because of a loving parlour game between Cameron and BoJo. You don't have to say "gently caress you poors this political system isn't for you, know your place and shut your face". "The rich shouldn't use it like a toy" is an option too.

Hentai Jihadist posted:

You can even see how thirsty they are for Labour to change course any time umunna puts out a somewhat vague statement about market alignment or whatever to cover how he lost an argument, and they talk about how great whatever isn't actually the policy could be and how clever corbyn is for playing this card at this time.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

hakimashou posted:

In your deepest heart of hearts, would you rather win the world cup or stay in the EU?

if we stay in the EEA its like most of brexit didn't happen except we lose EU voting rights which arguably is a good thing since we're responsible for a lot of the shittier bits of the EU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

jBrereton posted:

People are honestly sick of hearing about the rolling stream of gently caress ups that is the Brexit "negotiations" (which even Labour idiotically carries on like is a negotiation, which is loving stupid, because it isn't; the EU decides what we get and that's that), and a well led opposition should have been publicly trying to convince people that it's a pile of shite and we shouldn't do it from day one, because it isn't a referendum that Labour in any sense owned.

Yea, I'm sure that actually handing Theresa May that hundred-seat majority she was after would really have improved things.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yea, I'm sure that actually handing Theresa May that hundred-seat majority she was after would really have improved things.
Yeah you're right they seem truly hamstrung by the current coalition arrangement.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

jBrereton posted:

It's a silly argument.

The Tories wanted a referendum, for themselves, and it turns out to have not settled the question even in their own party. No surprise there. Now basically every job in the country is on the line because of a loving parlour game between Cameron and BoJo. You don't have to say "gently caress you poors this political system isn't for you, know your place and shut your face". "The rich shouldn't use it like a toy" is an option too.

You can even see how thirsty they are for Labour to change course any time umunna puts out a somewhat vague statement about market alignment or whatever to cover how he lost an argument, and they talk about how great whatever isn't actually the policy could be and how clever corbyn is for playing this card at this time.

It's coming home

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

fridge corn posted:

It's coming home
:hai:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

jBrereton posted:

Yeah you're right they seem truly hamstrung by the current coalition arrangement.

lol what rock have you been hiding under for the past two days or so? May's government is falling the gently caress apart in case you haven't noticed.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

BarronsArtGallery posted:

David Cameron will go down as the worst PM in history. The Brexit referendum set into motion the dissolution of the United Kingdom. Once Scotland leaves, northern Ireland is going to leave. At least y'all will still have Wales tho :laffo:

Reunion of Ireland first; Scottish independence iffy.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Cerebral Bore posted:

lol what rock have you been hiding under for the past two days or so? May's government is falling the gently caress apart in case you haven't noticed.
Which is nothing to do with Labour, any nationalists, or even their own coalition partners, and everything to do with the Conservatives' own backbiting. Same poo poo as the mid 90s when they had a majority government, for the same reason (party's hosed up about Europe).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

France beating England in the final will be such a beautiful psychic blow to the English please lord let it happen.