Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I don't understand people who buy CDs in 2018 unless you live in the woods or something. Sure, you could buy a Kanye album and a Paramore album for $2, or you could get a free trial of Spotify which gives you those 2 albums plus those artists' entire discographies, plus the discographies of like thousands of other artists and then only pay $9 a month after the first month :shobon:

I like not being beholden to crummy players and contract disputes. I instead spend up to the cost of a music service a month on Amazon mp3's and use it to augment their lovely player and not-bad free plan. (it's not good either, but combined with my old CD collection it's pretty great.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I was close to buying a MacBook but I really don’t need one, so I got this (almost as pretty) Acer Chromebook for about 1/10th of the price:

I got it on an open box/refurbished sale with 10% off, plus a random $20 I found in my paypal.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Apple Music + Vinyl is the god tier combo and always will be

I miss buying cds but yeah for me they’re completely dead and irrelevant

Hell yeah, I don’t even have a CD drive anymore. Plus most of the time new vinyls will come with a download code which I never use and can gift to my friends.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just lol at buying a Chromebook in 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's not bad if you just want a portable Youtube machine

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Mu Zeta posted:

Like a smartphone?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have a 15" 1080P IPS Chromebook that cost like $180.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If I didn't need my laptop for music production, I might've bought a Chromebook. Most of the rest of what I use my laptop for is web browsing/YouTube/Spotify anyway.

Chromebooks are definitely nice and thin and portable, but yeah, so are tablets.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Like a smartphone?

Have fun watching 5" videos all day long.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Josh Lyman posted:

Just lol at buying a Chromebook in 2018

Chromebooks are insanely good, I've use a $130 laptop during my free time for entertainment and for work. I've generated at least 100x what it cost in bonus income within the last few months, they're serious work machines these days. Mine is also a tiny 12 inch device and has a battery life that tops 12 hours, it's a joy. At night, I hook it up to a huge screen where it becomes my media center. Never thought this machine would be so versatile but it definitely covers all of my bases. It can run android apps and Linux now but eh I'm not interested in any of that

I use a MacBook Pro at work. My Chromebook just as good for my needs (sans gorgeous display), just lol at paying 2k for shiny heavy aluminium.

Course, certain professionals will need a full suite of traditional software but for 95 percent of us, we spend every second of our computing time on a browser and most people don't even realize it.

Chromebooks loving own

KingSlime has a new favorite as of 19:24 on Jul 10, 2018

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Don't pay attention to goon tablet recommendations. They pushed the Kindle pretty hard over the holidays.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Slimy Hog posted:

Have fun watching 5" videos all day long.

I do. Enough to even subscribe to the premium service.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Finally updated my TV I got in 2009 with a 4K TV. Hoping that I don't get the banding issues/weird panel issues I've seen people are reporting, and instead get the "omg best bargain evveerrr" TV that most people talk about.

Now I just gotta spend money to get a PSPro to take advantage of 4k :qq:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Mu Zeta posted:

Chromebooks are great machines for doing anything web based. If you are a google user then all the google apps, android app store, etc makes a Chromebook perfect. For the price point they are extremely capable portable PCs.

I just bought a ASUS VivoBook F441BA-DS94 14 as I need something cheap but Windows based for certain programs.

Know what you want to use it for and then get the hardware to do it, no need to buy a $4k laptop to browse the internet.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Unlike a tablet they don’t loving suck rear end to type on you dumb piece of poo poo lmao

It’s mostly gonna be for Google Docs, with some light research and internet goofing. I’m keeping my PC for photo editing and illegal stuff.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Chromebook I had was probably the best value piece of hardware I ever bought. I broke the first one and bought the exact same one two years later lol. At the time, the whole "weighs nothing, boots in 2 seconds, 12 hour battery life, decent RAM" was absolutely crazy at the price point. Even had 3G functionality, which again, at the time wasn't that common for the cost.

They were sold extremely cheaply, I guess heavily subsidised to push the Google ecosystem of things. Since I already do/did all my writing on Google Drive anyway it was ideal.

Screen was poor, sound was poor, couldn't run an .exe (except I installed lightweight Ubuntu which ran in the background and I could switch between with a keybind), but other than that they were fantastic bits of kit for a student or somebody who just wanted a utilitarian internet machine. Decently specced ones were still often less than half the price of an iPad 2.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Coffee And Pie posted:

Unlike a tablet they don’t loving suck rear end to type on you dumb piece of poo poo lmao

hey i'll have you know that i know people who carry around a bluetooth mechanical keyboard with cherry switches to connect to their phone or ipad while out and about and love that setup

(lol)

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I bought some gym stuff

17.5" around and stretchy hopefully fits my giant dome

This printed on an oatmeal-heather tanktop after I asked the artist about custom jobs.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Name/post combo :eyepop:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

pls it says don't shop shame right in the title

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

pls it says don't shop shame right in the title

I think technically they’re name shaming

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

oh ok then

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

I don't understand people who buy CDs in 2018 unless you live in the woods or something. Sure, you could buy a Kanye album and a Paramore album for $2, or you could get a free trial of Spotify which gives you those 2 albums plus those artists' entire discographies, plus the discographies of like thousands of other artists and then only pay $9 a month after the first month :shobon:
I have a Spotify Free account I use occasionally to see how their selection is doing. Just now I went through the Recently Added section on my iPhone; of the last sixty of my CD rips I’ve dumped into iTunes, a full twenty aren’t available on Spotify at all, and probably another dozen are incomplete, or the wrong version of the album, or just playlist versions of compilations/soundtracks where Spotify doesn’t have the actual release so someone pulled together whatever fraction they could from stuff Spotify actually has.

I know myself and the way I like to listen to music well enough to realize that would drive me batshit crazy really fast.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

I buy CDs, DVDs, and blu ray. I'm used to physical copies and I've thought CDs were neat since I was a kid. I was about to get a Sony 300 CD mega player jukeboxes but the whole component stereo thing just takes up too much space and I'm getting rid of all of it. I'll switch to Spotify or whatever when I get a better phone service, in the meantime I load up the SD card and USB stick for the car.

colas has a new favorite as of 12:57 on Jul 11, 2018

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

I bought some gym stuff

17.5" around and stretchy hopefully fits my giant dome

This printed on an oatmeal-heather tanktop after I asked the artist about custom jobs.

Awful deadlift form

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

colas posted:

I buy CDs, DVDs, and blu ray. I'm used to physical copies and I've thought CDs were neat since I was a kid. I was about to get a Sony 300 CD mega player jukeboxes but the whole component stereo thing just takes up too much space and I'm getting rid of all of it. I'll switch to Spotify or whatever when I get a better phone service, in the meantime I load up the SD card and USB stick for the car.

I had one and was going to get a second, but the first one died and I remember these things are pretty fragile.

It was awesome 15+ years ago though. And redbook audio is still great, especially from before the loudness wars.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Awful deadlift form

He's curling, oh wait...ha ha.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Let me just say I loving hate consumer appliances, but also don't have $7k+ to drop on anything "worth owning" as it were. Why don't Samsung freezer drawers pull out far enough? Why do LG ones pull out a little bit further, but still not far enough?

Replacing ours which has a death rattle:

To replace the second-cheapest-one-you-sell fridge that I bought moving out of my parents house and has never performed all that well:

90 sqft of tile, which at lowes you can return 1 tile at a time because apparently no one cares about dye lots. Doing 65 sqft, tile guy suggested 85 sqft. Shoulda bought a truck for haulin these big loads.

Amazon warehouse deals made it $26:

Picture if you will: A cheap ceiling fan

:homebrew:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

We just got a new washer and dryer installed, and now we bought a fridge that would have been $2000 for $1100 today for installation on Saturday.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

We just got a new washer and dryer installed, and now we bought a fridge that would have been $2000 for $1100 today for installation on Saturday.

Yeah ours is backordered but still on the "4th of july sale" price, $2298 for a fridge that is allegedly $3398 MSRP. I think I would be hard pressed to ever pay MSRP regardless of what they're currently calling the sale.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Jeza posted:

Chromebook I had was probably the best value piece of hardware I ever bought.

Still is for me. I have a super powerful desktop that I only ever use for photo processing and playing games. Everything else is on my Acer R11. I routinely get 10-11 hours battery, it's light as hell, and cheap enough that if I accidentally break it, I'll just get another one.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I bought two things I don’t need because I got good deals on them.

This Marantz:

And these dynaco a25 speakers:

I can probably sell one or the other to cover the cost of what I paid for both. I’m not sure I’m going to keep the speakers, but they did sound hella good.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I sold my old Marantz receiver on Craigslist and got a brand new Pioneer one like 2 years ago.

I still miss that loudness button :negative:

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I bought two things I don’t need because I got good deals on them.

This Marantz:

And these dynaco a25 speakers:

I can probably sell one or the other to cover the cost of what I paid for both. I’m not sure I’m going to keep the speakers, but they did sound hella good.

I’m green as f*#k with envy.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

1redflag posted:

I don't think you understand how libraries work
this is probably a joke but they were cds they were ditching

I can understand not having Bluetooth in your car and only having a CD player, but almost everyone has a smartphone/tablet nowadays.

CDs just seem so cumbersome when you can have a massive library of music on your phone or any other internet-enabled device, really.
my car only has a cd player so when I see a cd of something I like on sale for $1 I grab it, messing around with my phone for music while driving isn't cool and can get me pulled over - I use bandcamp & apple music otherwise

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I still listen to music I bought in like 1998. It's literally 100% certain that most of the music from 2018 I really like will not be available on Spotify or whatever the equivalent service will then be in the year 2038.

e: Heck most of the stuff from 1998 that I really liked isn't available on Spotify right now.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
There's some research out there suggesting that most people's music tastes stagnate by age 33, so, depending on how old you are, maybe that CD from 1998 still sounds great :shrug:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

I still listen to music I bought in like 1998. It's literally 100% certain that most of the music from 2018 I really like will not be available on Spotify or whatever the equivalent service will then be in the year 2038.

e: Heck most of the stuff from 1998 that I really liked isn't available on Spotify right now.

Look at this guy with his super obscure music taste. Or maybe Spotify is lovely, either way let's make fun of forums user Jerry Cotton to make ourselves feel better.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What music is missing? I found everything I owned on Google Play. Even the Asian music. I'm missing my Starcraft soundtrack but that's obscure as gently caress.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
The only CDs I buy are blanks to burn sweet mp3 cds to listen to in the car :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I only listen to minidiscs I recorded with songs from the radio. :cool: