Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I've only had the power up for about an hour of play but I don't like the wall jumping in hollow knight, it doesn't feel right for some reason. It's miles better than wall jumping in Super Metroid though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

wasn't there something called axiom verge that was supposed to be this? how did that turn out

Fun and weird with a lovely final boss.

Another good one is environmental station alpha, which is packed to the brim with insane secrets.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

Fun and weird with a lovely final boss.

I really didn't like that most of the weapons in Axiom Verge just felt useless. I wasn't big fan of the level design either.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Andrast posted:

I don't think it's shittier. It might be more inconvenient for the player but at the same time I really like what it does for the feeling of exploration in the game. I think Hollow Knight would be a lesser game without it.

It's obviously a pretty divisive feature though.

See I get that, obviously some people enjoy that stuff, there wouldn't be the Etrian Odyssey games if there wasn't somebody out there that enjoyed drawing their own maps. But a ton of people will act like you're dumb for not liking it when some people consider it a convenience issue rather than a game mechanic.

Like realtalk I don't think Nier Automata had anything to gain by it's dumb manual save system. I wish every game would save like Breath of the Wild now.

The White Dragon posted:

incidentally i'm surprised nobody's made a romhack for the snes version that adds the gba content, because iirc all the postgame monsters are fully present in the game data but they simply ran out of room on the cart to add in a bonus dungeon

I feel like the Leviathan boss is a sprite-based version of FFVII's Leviathan, and then there's the gigantuar or whatever that looks like it's from VIII, I think the only thing that was actually on the original cart was the Kaiser Dragon?

Cowcaster posted:

wasn't there something called axiom verge that was supposed to be this? how did that turn out

Starts off okay and gradually becomes really rote and boring. Also it has pickups that spawn in your game randomly, and most of the fun weapons are super obscurely hidden.

It does have some really cool stuff, like NES graphic glitches being a plot device and a traversal mechanic as well as an item that just let's you put in Metroid passwords which combine in neat ways, like glitching out enemies so they show off a password that you put in to unlock an area.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

exquisite tea posted:

Serious question did anyone ever use the Notes section at the back of old game instruction manuals.

I only ever used my Turok one to write cheat codes.

Phantasium posted:

the only metroidvanias i've ended up liking are just actually castlevania or metroid games, i think i've hated drat near every other one.

though shadow complex was cool.

Guacamelee and Axiom Verge are my favorites of the genre that are neither Metroid nor Vania. Shadow Complex was good too.

Environmental Station Alpha was hot garbage.

The White Dragon posted:

if you're willing to get the hardware to fully legally rip your personal copy of ff6 advance to your computer, there are romhacks that restore the original snes audio to the gba version

If you don't own the game and download it from greatromz666.net instead then make sure you delete it after 24 hours!

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I'd be cool if someone would make a true ripoff of Metroid, since Nintendo seems determined to never make another one.

That's basically what Axiom Verge tried to be. It hit the mark pretty good in some places. Doesn't really stick the more you play it though.

Keep your eyes on Ghost Song. That looks to be about as Metroid as it gets.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 10, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Phantasium posted:

See I get that, obviously some people enjoy that stuff, there wouldn't be the Etrian Odyssey games if there wasn't somebody out there that enjoyed drawing their own maps. But a ton of people will act like you're dumb for not liking it when some people consider it a convenience issue rather than a game mechanic.

Turns out I really like Etrian Odyssey too.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Phantasium posted:

Like realtalk I don't think Nier Automata had anything to gain by it's dumb manual save system. I wish every game would save like Breath of the Wild now.

Wasn't that kind of the point though? Like, the first nier got marked down in reviews for the manual save system, so Yoko taro said "gently caress you, I make my games the way I want."

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Axiom Verge is worth checking out, but imo suffers from having basically no fast travel options. If you suck, like me, it's easy to end up wandering a lot to no end. It probably doesn't need like, a bunch of Castlevania teleport rooms, but there is a middle ground it could have hit better.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Wasn't that kind of the point though? Like, the first nier got marked down in reviews for the manual save system, so Yoko taro said "gently caress you, you still have to manually save in my game".

Probably, it's more weird to me that the first game got marked down for that when it was still super common then for JRPGs.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I'd be cool if someone would make a true ripoff of Metroid, since Nintendo seems determined to never make another one.

They released Samus Returns only 10 months ago

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

nier 1 got reviewed as if it were an action game

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Relax Or DIE posted:

no fast travel options.

wishlist:catstare:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cowcaster posted:

It was made by one guy who doesnt understand what made metroid fun. I'd give it 4/10

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

homeless snail posted:

nier 1 got reviewed as if it were an action game

lmao

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nier reviews are almost as funny as godhand reviews

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

It does kind of have fast travel. It's just... Odd.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

less laughter posted:

They released Samus Returns only 10 months ago

That was after the switch came out so my 3ds is effectively dead to me.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Accordion Man posted:

I really don't get why indie Metroidvania devs insist on making them twitch platformers/ have twitch platforming segments when Metroid and Castlevania were/had neither.

it's probably the influence of Ori which was The Platforming Metroidvania and one of the earlier hit indie ones.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Damnit, Dunkey's newest video uses Goemon music and once again I'm forced to replay Mystical Ninja

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

It does kind of have fast travel. It's just... Odd.

To elaborate, there's just a hallway that's connected to nearly every area with a giant Giger head monster you ride to go quickly to other areas. It's better than nothing but still takes forever, and as a consequence makes the map into a really boring circle.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Poops Mcgoots posted:

That was after the switch came out so my 3ds is effectively dead to me.

The siren call of Warioware is going to bring me back to the 3ds

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Nier reviews are almost as funny as godhand reviews

Only trust your fists
reviewers will never help you

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Andrast posted:

The siren call of Warioware is going to bring me back to the 3ds

time to replace all the spoken dialog with sirens

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Mak0rz posted:

Guacamelee and Axiom Verge are my favorites of the genre that are neither Metroid nor Vania. Shadow Complex was good too.

This was also a good one (it's on XBLA, PSN and PC if you're interested):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSJ4vL5GhlE

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Ori and Guacamelee are great metrodvanias imo. Still getting through Hollow Knight. It’s really good. I like the exploration and art style and how you can find things and die but when you die, you don’t lose the things you found. You only lose money, which you can get back easily by going to the area you died. It’s a really forgiving game.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the internet is having a preemptive poo poo fit about octopath traveller reviews right now, whether or not you can legitimately review it without finishing all 8 stories. jason schreier of kotaku contends that because you see the credits after finishing the first story you can review it then

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

It was made by one guy who doesnt understand what made metroid fun. I'd give it 4/10

He understood perfectly what made Metroid fun, but just like A Link to the Past created the roadmap for all future Zelda clones, Super Metroid created the roadmap for all future Metroid clones.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Phantasium posted:

time to replace all the spoken dialog with sirens

i.e. Waluigi in a mermaid suit

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Phantasium posted:

To elaborate, there's just a hallway that's connected to nearly every area with a giant Giger head monster you ride to go quickly to other areas. It's better than nothing but still takes forever, and as a consequence makes the map into a really boring circle.

Yeah, it has this, and in fairness it looks cool...the first couple of times.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I appear a little late to the heated Hollow Knight chat, but that's never stopped me before. Hollow Knight is an amazing game, one of the best, and while I can acknowledge that people have problems with some parts of the game, I personally was never inconvenienced by them. The map system made sense to me: with my magic charm I can see myself on the map, but if I need the notch for something else, I can navigate just fine without it. Wandering into a new area, better keep an eye out for signs and audio clues while making mental notes. I would try and open the map even though I knew it would be blank, and when the knight pulled his map out I felt like that's a real human thing to do. To pull out a blank map and say "yep, I'm lost" before shrugging and following your gut. Updating the map at a bench makes sense to me, as it keeps the sense of exploration alive after you bought the map, but also lets you make things clearer when you find a place to rest or die. I can't give a great commentary on death and the recovery mechanic aside from saying that I was never bothered by it. I made one post on these forums complaining about a part of the Path of Pain, then the next day was able to get through it. No aspect was too hard, too challenging, too unfair, too punishing, and at the same time the game provided me with parts that I couldn't breeze through, areas that made me think carefully about how much I was willing to risk, and presented battles that had me carefully considering my charm options. I look at all these posts outlining personal grievances against the game and I feel nothing but sorrow for the posters.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The main thing I remember about Axiom Verge was that the bosses were just abysmal. Like a while ago someone said that the bosses in Hollow Knight were bad and the very worst in that is loving Lady Maria compared to some of the unfun slogs AV had. I remember the first couple being dull but tolerable but after that they just become terrible.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The first Metroid isn't even a good game, its just a labyrinth of samey cave corridors with no map.

Zero Mission is exponentially better in every way.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

And many Castlevanias are in fact, not Metroidvanias.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

glam rock hamhock posted:

The main thing I remember about Axiom Verge was that the bosses were just abysmal. Like a while ago someone said that the bosses in Hollow Knight were bad and the very worst in that is loving Lady Maria compared to some of the unfun slogs AV had. I remember the first couple being dull but tolerable but after that they just become terrible.

They're very Metroid 1-ish. Just sitting there while you shoot them a ton and you occasionally jump.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bloodychill posted:

Ori and Guacamelee are great metrodvanias imo. Still getting through Hollow Knight. It’s really good. I like the exploration and art style and how you can find things and die but when you die, you don’t lose the things you found. You only lose money, which you can get back easily by going to the area you died. It’s a really forgiving game.

I kinda hate combat in ori and also how in those chase sequences poo poo just kills you by surprise until you memorize it all

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The best boss in Axiom Verge is the one where you're controlling the boss because you've been hallucinating the whole area and it's impossible to lose. That whole area was really cool.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

LawfulWaffle posted:

I look at all these posts outlining personal grievances against the game and I feel nothing but sorrow for the posters.

:lol:
"I weep for those that don't have my superior brain that truly gets why needing to buy a new map in every area is a good thing!"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Phantasium posted:

The best boss in Axiom Verge is the one where you're controlling the boss because you've been hallucinating the whole area and it's impossible to lose. That whole area was really cool.

I like the mid game where theres like 3 boss fake outs and you dont have to fight cause dev dude is awful at making bosses

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the kickstartered castlevania demo has a permanent minimap in the upper corner of the screen as well as an automap you can bring up and it feels like utter hog piss compared to hollow knight so you've got that to look forward to i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

the kickstartered castlevania demo has a permanent minimap in the upper corner of the screen as well as an automap you can bring up and it feels like utter hog piss compared to hollow knight so you've got that to look forward to i guess

I think bloodstained felt fine when I tried it

• Locked thread