Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Ah yes, the one with the OG terrible keyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Binary Badger posted:

Ah yes, the one with the OG terrible keyboard

That would be the 2015 Macbook, not the Pro.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Mark Larson posted:

That would be the 2015 Macbook, not the Pro.

You're right, missed the Pro part. That's actually the opposite, the last good Apple mobile laptop keyboard..

Looks like the low end model, integrated graphics only, but at least it's a quad core i7 that will clock up to 3.4 GHz.. the 16 GB also a plus

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 1, 2018

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Binary Badger posted:

You're right, missed the Pro part. That's actually the opposite, the last good Apple mobile laptop keyboard..

Looks like the low end model, integrated graphics only, but at least it's a quad core i7 that will clock up to 3.4 GHz.. the 16 GB also a plus

Yeah, I think it's a really sweet deal. The gains you'd get from switching to the later MBP 15", i.e. slightly reduced footprint and weight, are outweighed by the better reliability and more ports in the 2015 version.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Dedicated hackers have now made it possible to boot from off-the-shelf NVMe M.2 drives internally in a Mac Pro by injecting the NVMe driver in the Late 2013 Mac Pro's firmware into the standard 4,1 / 5,1 firmware.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Binary Badger posted:

Dedicated hackers have now made it possible to boot from off-the-shelf NVMe M.2 drives internally in a Mac Pro by injecting the NVMe driver in the Late 2013 Mac Pro's firmware into the standard 4,1 / 5,1 firmware.

How do you connect them? PCI adapter?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah, looks like most standard M.2 to PCIe carrier cards work, even generic no-names.

The only caveat is that it needs to go in slot 3 or it's half the speed.

People are reporting good luck with Samsung 970 Pros in Amfeltec, Lycom, and HighPoint M.2 PCIe cards.

Meanwhile, got Mojave PB running on a 2012 cheesegrater. Used the startosinstall trick, and the Mojave install actually remembered most of my System Pref settings, including Energy Saver and Screen Saver.. usually those get stomped on or set back to their defaults..

Also, Mail seems to work just great, and its obvious Apple still has a ways to go to tune up Dark Mode, some dialogs and text entry are invisible while typing, and trying to play Star Wars in the Terminal was nightmarish on some scenes but overall its.. pretty drat quick for being stuck on a 32MB cache platter drive.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 2, 2018

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Funny that the latest replies have to do with what I thought was a totally random question. Nonetheless I should ask it anyway.

I've got a mid-2013 Macbook Air and it needs a new hard drive. New drives from OWC are $180USD, but a Samsung Evo 860 mSata of the same size is $100CAD.

Has anyone successfully used one of these adapters in a Macbook
Air? It would certainly make the repair a lot more palatable... my Late-2011 MBP died today and it probably needs a new logic board - I have this machine kicking around with a bummed hard drive and it'll probably do all that I need, so I'm hoping there's a cheap(er) fix for it!

The one cautionary thing I read was "We gave it a try for a few systems not very stable -- We suspected the timing was the issue between what Apple runs at and what the M.2 uses when you stress the system. This only works with the SATA version of M.2 not the newer PCIe M.2 boards." - that's a comment from ifixit c.2017.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Find a 128 drive for this year Air on eBay...stay away from owc drives

Try the gpu disable trick on your 2011

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Guitarchitect posted:

I've got a mid-2013 Macbook Air and it needs a new hard drive. New drives from OWC are $180USD, but a Samsung Evo 860 mSata of the same size is $100CAD.

Everymac is listing your model as having a PCIe SSD. A mSata drive will not work in it.

quote:

The one cautionary thing I read was "We gave it a try for a few systems not very stable -- We suspected the timing was the issue between what Apple runs at and what the M.2 uses when you stress the system. This only works with the SATA version of M.2 not the newer PCIe M.2 boards." - that's a comment from ifixit c.2017.

Speaking as an engineer, the first part of that comment about timing and stress is gobbledygook, and as for the rest, I’m not sure you found a comment thread relevant to your specific Air model.

The core issue with finding a M.2 for the early generations of Macs with PCIe flash is that, to get something to market sooner than the PC industry, Apple used an evolutionary dead end, the SATA Express SSD. From a software (driver) perspective they look like a standard SATA device connected to an AHCI host adapter in a PCIe slot. From a hardware perspective, the interface is pure PCIe.

Since the PC industry mostly decided to wait for NVME to adopt PCIe SSDs, there are very few SATA Express SSD models available on the market. The common types are plain SATA (won’t work because the physical connection to the drive must be PCIe), and NVME (won’t work because those Macs shipped without a NVME driver in their firmware).

That said, some macOS versions upgrade the firmware in some older models to include a NVME driver, and then all you need is the appropriate adapter board. Paging Binary Badger, who knows more about that than I. Can’t remember whether this is supposed to be possible with a 2013 Air.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Oh, and one more thing - trying to fit a NVME drive into that Air may or may not be possible, but it’s not going to be cheap. On the PC side, NVME is an interface used almost exclusively in premium high capacity / performance drives, so you aren’t going to find a deal as sweet as that $100 drive. Your best bet for a cheap way to get that computer functioning for minimum money might be an eBay part, as Bob M. suggested.

By the way, what’s wrong with the drive that’s in there anyways?

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

No idea! Diagnostic comes back with a drive error... It's been a while since I looked at it so maybe I will re run the tool.

Here's an odd though, can I run the machine off a USB drive, or is the I/O too slow?

Thanks for the history - very interesting!

And thanks for mentioning the GPU disable Bob, shortly after my post I found out about that. Crossing my fingers but it's going to be tough as I think I kicked my system into read only mode with the number of resets I've done!

Edit: interesting, I booted and it reports no bootable device. I ran the diagnostic tool again and it says no error found. Rebooted and still says no bootable device. Tried using Option when booting and it just gave me a recovery drive, then said it couldn't install osx... And shuts down before I can click anything. I'll see if internet recovery helps

Edit 2: I got to the point of a new osx installation and the utility says "this disk has s.m.a.r.t. errors". Hardware problem, can't be repaired, back up and replace the disk.

Guitarchitect fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 3, 2018

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

You would think the adapter for the M.2 drive would work in the Air since the Air and Pro can use the same drive

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Guitarchitect posted:

Edit 2: I got to the point of a new osx installation and the utility says "this disk has s.m.a.r.t. errors". Hardware problem, can't be repaired, back up and replace the disk.

yeah that one's probably toast.

If you're fine with an external, you absolutely can install macOS on an external USB drive. Since that one's a 2013, it has USB 3.0, which is fast enough to be quite usable. (Pre-2012 Macs only have USB 2.0, which is horribly slow.)

If you're set on that mSATA 860 EVO, you could put it in one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/10GBPS-Enclo...&keywords=vl716

This is actually a USB 3.1 gen2 type C enclosure, but it ships with a USB-C to USB 3.0 cable, so it's future proofed if you ever need to use it on a newer computer with a faster USB 3.1 port, but should work fine out of the box with your computer.

Whatever you do, don't buy a M.2 SATA (aka NGFF) enclosure for a mSATA SSD, or vice versa. The "small SSD card" world has a hilarious web of incompatible options.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Booting from a USB external drive because your internal drive is hosed would be the epitome of #donglelife :popcorn:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Been there, on a business trip. Cloned a colleague’s drive and limped along until I got home.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mark Larson posted:

Booting from a USB external drive because your internal drive is hosed would be the epitome of #donglelife :popcorn:

I did this when my SSD hosed up on my Pro recently and it barely worked at all, it would boot to the desktop and then very quickly just slow to a halt.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

well the "good" news is that I'm posting this from the macbook air - I installed windows 10 on it and it's running just fine. What I did read is that lion/mountain lion (which this machine was running) had a very common SMART error issue at installation and that it maybe a false warning... I figured I'd run windows and see what's up. SMART status via windows and some other third party software also reports that the drive is bad, so I'll replace it eventually. Seems like it's maybe less urgent than I was being led to believe, though.

definitely not keen on #donglelife so I'll go for an internal solution! I'll probably follow Bob Morales' advice and check ebay for a smaller drive, 128gb will be fine for the kind of use this machine sees. thanks for the help everyone!

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
The Macbook Air has an SD card slot, right? You can get a tiny MicroSD adapter that fits flush inside the SD card slot, if you need extra storage space. Either that or a tiny USB drive, but those do stick out more than the SD card adapters. With the USB drive you'd get USB 3.0 speeds though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Guitarchitect posted:

definitely not keen on #donglelife so I'll go for an internal solution! I'll probably follow Bob Morales' advice and check ebay for a smaller drive, 128gb will be fine for the kind of use this machine sees. thanks for the help everyone!

Check some of the computer tech forums as well. I've upgraded to 256/512GB OEM SSD's and the 128GB drive that gets replaced, often times I almost gave the drat things away (since you can't really use them anywhere else, or you have a buy an OWC external housing that costs $70-100)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mark Larson posted:

The Macbook Air has an SD card slot, right? You can get a tiny MicroSD adapter that fits flush inside the SD card slot, if you need extra storage space. Either that or a tiny USB drive, but those do stick out more than the SD card adapters. With the USB drive you'd get USB 3.0 speeds though.

You can even use a Tardisk to create a Fusion drive with an SD card

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3176112/data-storage/review-the-tardisk-doubles-a-macbooks-storage-in-about-30-seconds.html

I wonder how that actually works out

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

That sounds like a completely appetizing can of worms.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I actually boot windows off of a USB Samsung SSD on my primary machine. I don’t use it often so I didn’t want Windows taking up much space, but it works wonderfully.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

BobHoward posted:

That said, some macOS versions upgrade the firmware in some older models to include a NVME driver, and then all you need is the appropriate adapter board. Paging Binary Badger, who knows more about that than I. Can’t remember whether this is supposed to be possible with a 2013 Air.

Puff, puff, I got here as fast as I could..

Long story short, get this Sintech Adapter and get a Samsung NVMe if you want cheap, fast replacement storage for your laptop, Guitarchitect.

There are only a few caveats: your laptop has to have already been updated to High Sierra; HS installs firmware that allows the 2013 MacBook Air to use the SSD. Also, sleep and hibernation may not work too well, this will exhaust the battery sooner on average, but you can run terminal commands to shut off the hibernation/sleep modes that are incompatible with the NVMe drive that might cause issues with daily use.

Also, at bootup, there is a 20-30 second pause when booting this drive, presumably there is handshaking that exists in an Apple OEM NVMe drive that doesn't exist with non-Apple drives.

If you can live with all those conditions, it's pretty dandy; I just upgraded to a 1 TB Samsung Pro 970 and other than the boot pausing it's loving great and I saved big money over one of Apple's AHCI SSUBX SSDs.

The procedure is documented in this MacRumors Forum Thread.

As for old cheese grater fans, enterprising folks on MacRumors have already managed to write a tool that allows you to reflash system firmware on MacPros. Using terminal commands, you can inject the NVMe DXE driver from Late 2013 Mac Pros into the older towers and NVMe booting now works. You can now plug in off-the-shelf NVMe M.2 drives onto a generic PCIe carrier and slot boot off super fast (compared to platters) and get 1500+ MBs reads and writes, which makes booting macOS/Windows nice and speedy. This isn't possible at the moment on rMBPs / Airs until someone figures out how Apple gets the rMBP to enter firmware flash mode, it's not physically accessible as it is in the Mac Pro (hold down power button until it flashes duh) but may be a combination of software flags to set.

There are some folks who have gone full bore nuts and are using hobbyist equipment to externally flash the firmware by soldering temp connections to the chips right on the logic board, and have injected the NVMe DXE driver onto their rMBPs. Using the NVMe driver as a bonus also seems to enable the power management that keeps SSDs from devouring too much of your precious battery power.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 3, 2018

eames
May 9, 2009

Mark Larson posted:

The problem with these small SD drives is that they break deep sleep while they’re plugged in and mounted. That will cause much higher sleep power consumption and if you don’t have your computer plugged in all the time it will put additional cycles on your battery and eventually wreck it.

There are software solutions to mount/unmount the drive before sleep but none of them really work.

eames
May 9, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

5-7 years after they stop making them

https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht201624

2012 Retina MBP is "vintage" now, by the way.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wait are they seriously making Thinkpads now with butterfly keyboards? Wtf

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Wait are they seriously making Thinkpads now with butterfly keyboards? Wtf

I’m pretty sure it’s a remake of a model from the mid-90s (with modern guts). That Thinkpad was pretty drat cool and the keyboard was like magic every time you opened the unit.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

So, once again, it's been proven that the 2015 rMBPs are the best.

Not only do they have

• the best (working!) keyboard
• USB ports you can use
• the goddamn SD/SDXC slot

but you can safely upgrade the storage with many off-the-shelf M.2 NVMe drives (must use a special adapter for Apple's SSD slot.) Apple, in its foresight, rolled an NVMe driver into the BootROM since creation (2013 / 2014 / all 2013-2017 MacBook Airs do not) and upgrading them to High Sierra guarantees optimal SSD performance. These drives tend to work faster than Apple's original 256/512 drives.

The only tradeoff is that the NVMe drives pull somewhat more wattage than Apple's OEM SSUBX drives, so battery life is impacted.

2013 / 2014 rMBPs can still take the NVMe drives, but there is no SSD power management so they eat up more power during sleep. It's possible to flash the BootROM on these models to inject the NVMe DXE driver and get that power management so they don't impact battery as much, but doing so requires hooking up equipment right to the logic board, whereas it's simpler to do on the cheesegrater 2010/2012 Mac Pro models as it has a firmware flash mode built-in.

There, the NVMe DXE driver is extracted from the Late 2013 TrashCan Macs and injected into the prior 2010/2012 MacPros (and 2009 Mac Pros flashed to 2010 models.) If you still have a cheesegrater, you can finally get high-speed SSD booting just by buying a $20 M.2 PCIe adapter and appropriate M.2 SSD (Samsung 960 / 970s preferred as their firmware appears to be tweaked to provide Mac compatibility on the sly) after you perform the NVMe DXE driver injection on the Mac Pro BootROM.

Apple themselves used to provide their own SSDs as an option for 2012 Mac Pros, they were 512 GB (only size offered, oddly enough) heavily modded Samsung 830s/840s and they were installed in the SATA drive bays. Being SATA II, they only had an ideal (rarely reached) throughput of of about 375 MB/sec. Better than the platter-based drives at that time which maxed around 150 MB/sec.

If you moved the SSD to a PCIe adapter like a Velocity Solo, that throughput would rise to about 550 MB/sec. Using an NVMe drive in a PCIe slot will give you up to 1500 MB/sec throughput.

It's kind of weird that Apple has, for its own reasons, decided to actually support older 2010/2012 Mac Pros in Mojave but not any other older models that are still technically capable of running it.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 8, 2018

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I appreciate seeing all these updates on what's going on in the community of keeping old Macs alive forever.

eames
May 9, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

epic SSD posting

Does this mean that something like a 950 Evo in a 2015 15" MBP will run exactly like a OEM drive, no kernel panics, no power management issues, no additional sleep power drain, nothing?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

eames posted:

Does this mean that something like a 950 Evo in a 2015 15" MBP will run exactly like a OEM drive, no kernel panics, no power management issues, no additional sleep power drain, nothing?

Don't know about 950, but I personally have a 960 NVMe 500 GB non-pro in my Late 2013 13-inch rMBP that replaces an Apple OEM, it's faster and works great, only caveats are a somewhat longer boot sequence and higher power draw when sleeping.

Also these drives are sensitive to heat as well, but I use a thermal pad that transfers most of the heat to the case. Most folks will only see throttling if they're doing something read write intensive like an OS upgrade.

Can't guarantee you'll never see any issues but my 960 has been super stable for about, what, eight months now.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 9, 2018

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Sigh. Macs are such a shitshow these days.

So I decided I wanted to ghetto KVM a setup at home so I can switch from my Windows laptop to my current-gen MBP on the same monitor, keyboard and mouse. Shouldn't be a big deal:

1) Connect to monitor via two separate inputs, switch between inputs as needed. This part works fine.
2) Peripherals can be wonky, but doesn't Logitech make unified kit specifically designed to switch between Mac and Windows at ease? Yes. Yes, they do.

Got an MX Master 2 (have loved this line of mouse since it came out) and a Craft Keyboard for home.

Everything works fine in Windows, oddly.

In macOS? Hahahah gently caress me. Scroll wheel and buttons on mouse do not work at all, either via the unifying receiver or BT. Googling shows this to be a fairly common problem.

The keyboard, none of the media keys work even when iTunes HAS focus (this is the scenario I care most about). It's like they're not even there.

wtf. Logi forums and support seem to be throwing shade at the macOS BT stack (tho', to be fair, my last-gen MX Master, which I have at work, works fine).

loving hell.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Dumb question, but have you installed the Logitech drivers on MacOS? It works just fine switching between for me. That being said, Bluetooth is weak as poo poo and anything but a native USB connection is poo poo (ie don't use USB hubs for the unifying receiver).

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Theophany posted:

Dumb question, but have you installed the Logitech drivers on MacOS? It works just fine switching between for me. That being said, Bluetooth is weak as poo poo and anything but a native USB connection is poo poo (ie don't use USB hubs for the unifying receiver).

Yeah, I went through Logitech Options and installed all the garbage it wants.

I just switched from BT to using the spare Unifying Receiver I have since I have two peripherals and at least the mouse is working correctly now, even though it's jammed into my TB3 dock because lol @ USB-A on a MBP :(

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

My laptop has come up for refresh at work. I can only push it back 30 days, but I have some time I think until I give that choice. Which means I have maybe 60 days. Is there any chance of new HW being announced and released in this time frame? Or am I screwed?

At this point, I might go back to Windows if it means getting something with halfway decent specs.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Apex Rogers posted:

My laptop has come up for refresh at work. I can only push it back 30 days, but I have some time I think until I give that choice. Which means I have maybe 60 days. Is there any chance of new HW being announced and released in this time frame? Or am I screwed?

At this point, I might go back to Windows if it means getting something with halfway decent specs.

The next Apple event will probably be September 10 or 11 if history is any indication. But that’s almost exclusively an iPhone event. It’s possible they announce a very minor refresh to a MacBook or MacBook Pro but not likely.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Anything I should know about boot camping Windows 10 on a 2016 mbp? Thinking of doing it on mine since I have a lot of space. Will my radeon card have legit windows drivers running?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

The graphics card drivers will be legit but old. I don’t think you can just use the regular AMD drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Housh posted:

Anything I should know about boot camping Windows 10 on a 2016 mbp? Thinking of doing it on mine since I have a lot of space. Will my radeon card have legit windows drivers running?

Make sure you get rid of your local time machine snapshots first or it’ll refuse to partition (at least mine did). The terminal command is tmutil or something, google is your friend.