Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I've been wondering why people hate Preston Garvey. Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He keeps giving you really annoying quests unsolicited.

He's basicaly like if you have a semi friend that you don't really like that much and who you avoid because you know he's going to ask you to help him move his wardrobe or something.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
From developer-publisher Dank Boi Games, I give you

https://store.steampowered.com/app/847250/GAY_Nation_a_Gay_Game_for_Gays_GAYS_ONLY/

Isn't this just a re-upload of another lovely game that was already punched off Steam?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/847250/GAY_Nation_a_Gay_Game_for_Gays_GAYS_ONLY/

Isn't this just a re-upload of another lovely game that was already punched off Steam?

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61
Have you ever shot at cars to make them go boom in any shooter game ever?

Now you can spend money to only do that!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/705740/Car_Demolition_Clicker/

We here at Car Demolition Clicker will show you less physics effects of exploding cars than a AAA game's afterthought.

We also hope you like advertisements in between rounds even though you actually bought this.

Are clicker games too easy, half the ones I see in newly released look like they were drawn in mspaint.

Khako fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 8, 2018

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Khako posted:

Are clicker games too easy, half the ones I see in newly released look like they were drawn in mspaint.

I think there are literally template clicker games being sold at asset stores.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

There's a news post on that store page from May, so I don't think it's ever been released properly.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Schubalts posted:

I've been wondering why people hate Preston Garvey. Why?

"Hey, my kid was kidnapped."

"Really? That sucks. Tell you what, do me a favor and go the opposite direction and take care of a settlement for me, I'm gonna walk in a circle."

That and he never stops telling you to do his job.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Who the gently caress hates Preston more than Drug Mama though? The characters in that game are is a miserable thing to experience.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/884640/Mines_and_Magic/

These models sure don't look familiar.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

As Nero Danced posted:

"Hey, my kid was kidnapped."

"Really? That sucks. Tell you what, do me a favor and go the opposite direction and take care of a settlement for me, I'm gonna walk in a circle."

That and he never stops telling you to do his job.

Yeah it's basically because Preston is the primary questgiver for the radiant quests, meaning that it is impossible to clear his poo poo from your log, ever, because as soon as you turn up to turn something in, he'll give you another one. Sometimes he'll just give you something even if you don't actually speak to him, you just happen to get within earshot and he goes "OH HEY this settlement is having problems *adds quest to your log*".

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ah you see, our Uther has a sword and some minor details changed, clearly this is our original creation, Buther.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pretense of the Ancients

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
I liked the tauren with the rolled up carpet in place of a totem, myself.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah it's basically because Preston is the primary questgiver for the radiant quests, meaning that it is impossible to clear his poo poo from your log, ever, because as soon as you turn up to turn something in, he'll give you another one. Sometimes he'll just give you something even if you don't actually speak to him, you just happen to get within earshot and he goes "OH HEY this settlement is having problems *adds quest to your log*".

"What are you making?!"
A gun Preston. I am making a gun, just like the last hundred times you asked me when I glanced at the crafting bench. Now shut the gently caress up.

Also radiant quests are like an antithesis to good game design. So very very lazy.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

XTimmy posted:

"What are you making?!"
A gun Preston. I am making a gun, just like the last hundred times you asked me when I glanced at the crafting bench. Now shut the gently caress up.

Also radiant quests are like an antithesis to good game design. So very very lazy.

There's nothing wrong with having a set of busy work quests that encourage the player to go to new locations, but they probably should just go on a notice board instead of having an (ostensibly) important NPC cram them into your quest log without asking if you want them.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Keeshhound posted:

There's nothing wrong with having a set of busy work quests

Yes there is.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

I don't think you get the appeal of Bethesda's open world games, and that's ok.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like fo4 but yeah the settlement quests are really tedious because they mostly just give you even more idiots to babysit, as quests go they're annoying because completing them gives you an extra commitment which you might not want to bother with.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah when the “reward” is “more busywork” it’s not exactly very enticing to do those quests. It’s also annoying because the settlements are chosen at random so rather than expanding your settlement network out in a natural progression, you might get sent to one at the rear end-end of the commonwealth before you’ve even unlocked Abernathy Farm or something.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I didn't mind the radiant quest thing, what I did mind was the glitch where he'd always have two active quests for you, and if either of them was completed or ignored, he'd fill you back up to two. That may have gotten fixed at some point, it definitely wasn't while I was playing.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I am willing to accept busy work quests in exchange for artillery strikes, which the Minutement do indeed provide. As long as there are explosions involved I can be persuaded to do most anything.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I wish Bethesda kept the original Radiant AI they had in the beta version of Oblivion. I like the story where a character picks up a book, sits down to read it, and the fireballs her dog because she wants it to be quiet.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

The MSJ posted:

I wish Bethesda kept the original Radiant AI they had in the beta version of Oblivion. I like the story where a character picks up a book, sits down to read it, and the fireballs her dog because she wants it to be quiet.
That was from a E3 demo, so I'd be incredibly skeptical.

If nothing else it proved that Bethesda are masters of spin, they transformed the obvious flaws of Radiant AI. Instead of "our AI is psychotically broken" they touted it as "our AI is too smart," which they've gotten some incredible mileage out of over the years.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I love that demo, it's so blatantly tightly scripted from start to finish that the fact that it was pushed as an AI demonstration is downright comical in hindsight.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Someone should really make a game about a world where everyone is driven by pure id, though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Keeshhound posted:

I don't think you get the appeal of Bethesda's open world games, and that's ok.

The radiant quests are loving garbage

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Improbable Lobster posted:

The radiant quests are loving garbage

I didn't say they weren't. What I said was "There's nothing wrong with having a set of busy work quests that encourage the player to go to new locations"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Keeshhound posted:

I didn't say they weren't. What I said was "There's nothing wrong with having a set of busy work quests that encourage the player to go to new locations"

They're literally the worst way to go to new places though

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

The MSJ posted:

Someone should really make a game about a world where everyone is driven by pure id, though.

Isn't this EVE, or just about any other multiplayer game with few restrictions on in game behavior besides "don't hack"?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Isn't this EVE, or just about any other multiplayer game with few restrictions on in game behavior besides "don't hack"?

It's GTA with the aggressive NPC cheat turned on

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

The MSJ posted:

Player Unknown: Battlegrounds

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

The MSJ posted:

Postal 2.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rebel Blob posted:

That was from a E3 demo, so I'd be incredibly skeptical.

If nothing else it proved that Bethesda are masters of spin, they transformed the obvious flaws of Radiant AI. Instead of "our AI is psychotically broken" they touted it as "our AI is too smart," which they've gotten some incredible mileage out of over the years.

I mean it's not hard to spin something broken as good when that thing is absolutely hilarious

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The MSJ posted:

The You Testament.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Keeshhound posted:

There is, though. Don't see what's so bad about wanting content or at least fun gameplay to lead me places!

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 11, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Assassin's Creed: Origins managed to do radiant quests right imo

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Really Pants posted:

Assassin's Creed: Origins managed to do radiant quests right imo

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean it's not hard to spin something broken as good when that thing is absolutely hilarious

I think the thing is that a lot of the contextualizing was provided after the fact. Under the hood the AI fuckup was probably more boring and generic and they made it into a funny story by giving it a narrative cause and effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
That's how most games work. As human people we apply ourselves to the AI constantly and say, "Oh, it's doing this," when in reality you're experiencing a bug.