Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

THE BEATWEAVER posted:

When I found out this series was originally written as an MMO framework the wierd pacing, bad plot after book two, and comically cardboard villains suddenly all made perfect sense.

Wasn't it a play-by-post forum game? Shed was a player character who had to leave, so he was GM killed? Then it was made into an MMO framework?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Milky Moor posted:

Wasn't it a play-by-post forum game? Shed was a player character who had to leave, so he was GM killed? Then it was made into an MMO framework?

Other way around, I'm pretty sure. It was shopped around as an MMO, then got used in a message board game when there were no takers. That said, I don't think the story tracks that game past, like, part of the first book.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I thought it originated as a literal pen and paper rpg campaign.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

ZombieLenin posted:

I thought it originated as a literal pen and paper rpg campaign.

Originally set as an MMO universe, they didn't find any buyers so they made it a pen and paper. They did a campaign which became the major story beats for Book 1! For instance: Shed died because the PC had to leave the campaign so the GM killed him with a railgun shot.
:eng101:

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Started listening to the latest book and did they seriously just kill Fred off-book or did I forget something from the previous ones? t's been a while and the offhanded casual way it's delivered fits the mood though

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It was onscreen in Nemesis Games.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

He stroked out on a hard burn in the previous book iirc

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Yeah it was a pov chapter.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch
God fuckin help me I can never remember which titles correspond to which book, please continue to use numbers only, tia

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Haven't read the books, just finished up the show. Does the show spoil so much it's sorta not "worth" reading the books? Or is there plenty of extra poo poo.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Haven't read the books, just finished up the show. Does the show spoil so much it's sorta not "worth" reading the books? Or is there plenty of extra poo poo.

So far, the show and the books are heading to the same place, but the character and plot details along the way are increasingly divergent. Many characters are written better in the show, particularly antagonists. The books obviously have a lot more time for little world-building details, if that's something that interests you.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
In addition, the flavor of the way Eros plays out was moderately different in the books, much more body horror and zombies and biological megastructures than "oh no some crystals". Not sure if it will have the same impact on someone who's not encountering the overall plot for the first time tho.

As noted, if you liked the show for its setting and not purely for its characters, the books get to go into much more depth there.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

It's definitely worth reading. You'll know what beats to expect, but the steps to get there are different enough to provide suspense or surprise, and the characters are still fun to read, even if the show did improve on basically everyone except Holden and Clarissa.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Cool I'll give them a go.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

bitprophet posted:

In addition, the flavor of the way Eros plays out was moderately different in the books, much more body horror and zombies and biological megastructures than "oh no some crystals". Not sure if it will have the same impact on someone who's not encountering the overall plot for the first time tho.

As noted, if you liked the show for its setting and not purely for its characters, the books get to go into much more depth there.

At this point its all about the setting for me, as, in my totally subjective and minority opinion, the story has gone from “this has promise” to “good” to “are you loving serious?”

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
To me there's a bit of an imbalance in the books between world building and character building. There's only so many times you can have a character experience the physical effects of living in space with half page long descriptions before you say "I get it already".

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum
This series is a great example of Authors milking the serial fuckin' cow like its the 50's and they're publishing a new chapter in pulp sci-fi quarterly, except its 2018 and each installment is 900 pages of poorly edited bullshit not fit to start a campfire with.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

THE BEATWEAVER posted:

This series is a great example of Authors milking the serial fuckin' cow like its the 50's and they're publishing a new chapter in pulp sci-fi quarterly, except its 2018 and each installment is 900 pages of poorly edited bullshit not fit to start a campfire with.

So you'd say you like the books?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
If you keep book 1 as is, combine books 2 and 3, delete book 4 entirely, combine 5 and 6, and treat 7 as the first half of 7-8, you've got a solid series.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
a condensed version of the books is what the TV show is. it's better than the books.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.
If there's one thing that makes the books a better experience than the show, it's not having to look at Steven Strait's dumb loving face or put up with his poo poo acting :colbert:.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Marijuana posted:

If there's one thing that makes the books a better experience than the show, it's not having to look at Steven Strait's dumb loving face or put up with his poo poo acting :colbert:.

https://i.imgur.com/QV01rv9.mp4

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd roll my eyes too if they took a production photo as my mugshot.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Uh, so Strange Dogs?? Holy loving what???

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Johnny Truant posted:

Uh, so Strange Dogs?? Holy loving what???

My least favorite of all the shorts. About the time it gets interesting it just ends in the middle of nowhere.
It seems like all the other shorts are filling in bits of characters or questions we already know about but just haven't heard. Strange Dogs strikes out into new territory, teases us, then concludes. Perhaps once Tiamat's Wrath and 9 are out this will feel the same way, but for now I agree with your assessment. Holy loving what indeed!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I was a little surprised and disappointed it ended so abruptly, but it's just got me that much more pumped for fuckin weird PM poo poo. I did do a little double take when they dropped Singh's last name there, since I read #7 before this.

I wanna see more Laconia, damnit! Gimme chapters from the dogs' perspective!

I've still got Drive, Vital Abyss and Gods of Risk to read, but Dan December can't get here soon enough.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Wait, what's Singh's role in Strange Dogs? Does he drive the car or something?

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007
He's the friend that zombie kid went to meet before the accident

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah it's real minor but I still like the way they connect little threads like that. Could it mean something? Maybe! But still good worldbuilding.

I've been thinking about it and I think the 30 year time jump is just really.. bad. Should've been like ten years or something.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Strange Dogs sticks with me. Good poo poo.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Eh, that dog’s not so strange

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Johnny Truant posted:

Gimme chapters from the dogs' perspective!

There's always A FIRE UPON THE DEEP for that.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I feel like it's been recommended before in this thread, but if you enjoy explorations of alien thought, Peter Watts' Blindsight is worth checking out. (Along with the rest of his works imo)

Imagine you're the protomolecule.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ATP_Power posted:

I feel like it's been recommended before in this thread, but if you enjoy explorations of alien thought, Peter Watts' Blindsight is worth checking out. (Along with the rest of his works imo)

Imagine you're the protomolecule.

I'll second that; I've read it and it's good. It took me a minute or two to really grasp the tech level of the setting (and...there's vampires?) but once you settle in it's a good time.

If we're talking about other sci fi; I started reading the Culture series, and...is this series a Dresden Files situation where it gets better after the first book (two in the case of DF), or if I'm not enjoying it right away, will I probably not like the rest?

I'm maybe 3/4 of the way through Consider Phlebas (which I believe to be the first book) and it's just not doing it for me at all. The world-building is neat, but I simply do not care about any of these characters and I don't wanna keep going if the first book is indicative of the rest of the series. Should I power through or is it maybe just not for me?

I've been looking for a sci fi series to fill my expanse hole until the next book drops; I guess I could ask in the sci fi thread but I trust this thread's tastes more immediately

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Ainsley McTree posted:

If we're talking about other sci fi; I started reading the Culture series, and...is this series a Dresden Files situation where it gets better after the first book (two in the case of DF), or if I'm not enjoying it right away, will I probably not like the rest?

I'm maybe 3/4 of the way through Consider Phlebas (which I believe to be the first book) and it's just not doing it for me at all. The world-building is neat, but I simply do not care about any of these characters and I don't wanna keep going if the first book is indicative of the rest of the series. Should I power through or is it maybe just not for me?

I don't think Consider Phlebas is bad, but it is tonally different from the rest of the series. Also, every book introduces an entirely new set of characters, so don't feel like you're saddled with Horza.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
How bout "Death Slugs for Elvi"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Toast Museum posted:

I don't think Consider Phlebas is bad, but it is tonally different from the rest of the series. Also, every book introduces an entirely new set of characters, so don't feel like you're saddled with Horza.

Player of games is the classic 'if you don't like this then they're not for you' Culture book, phlebas is a collection of setpieces with a downer ending.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
I just finished marathoning all 7 extant books and now i am left every night opening my kindle expecting to read more new Rocinante adventures but not being able to, like a tongue probing the empty place where a pulled tooth was once anchored.

Fake edit: seriously though they used that metaphor like once per book i s2g

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

dropkickpikachu posted:

I just finished marathoning all 7 extant books and now i am left every night opening my kindle expecting to read more new Rocinante adventures but not being able to, like a tongue probing the empty place where a pulled tooth was once anchored.

Fake edit: seriously though they used that metaphor like once per book i s2g

gonna be on the lookout for it in the next book in... november?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

gonna be on the lookout for it in the next book in... november?

Next one comes out March 2019.