Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Lumines has always strained my eyes in a way other games don't

i think VR would wreck me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The state of reviews in general being what it is is disappointing because of all the interesting ways games can be dissected, from purely a mechanical standpoint to story and themes and overall synthesis of the whole thing. Even just the question of how to critically approach a game that is unambitious but competent and satisfying vs one that reaches but doesn't quite succeed at what it's trying is an interesting discussion.

Basically talking about games is interesting, and trying to boil it down to should you play it is a disservice.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

It seems like the only discerning way to buy games is to wait a month for the hype to subside and try to sort through the hot takes afterwards.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

chumbler posted:

The state of reviews in general being what it is is disappointing because of all the interesting ways games can be dissected, from purely a mechanical standpoint to story and themes and overall synthesis of the whole thing. Even just the question of how to critically approach a game that is unambitious but competent and satisfying vs one that reaches but doesn't quite succeed at what it's trying is an interesting discussion.

Basically talking about games is interesting, and trying to boil it down to should you play it is a disservice.

purchase oriented reviews in any form of media don't do this, critical review requires some distance and happens later.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah there are quite a few writers who go beyond consumer reports (just look at Critical Distance) but they are never gonna get much traction on the major click-gathering sites

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Since Lumines doesn't have a "take a break" warning I think I'm gonna need to set a pomodoro timer or something because this is like the fourth session where I have stopped playing and I ache all over.

For a game about being zen with the music I am completely tensed and fatigued after playing

I believe that, at about the halfway point for Challenge mode, the game does suggest you take a dog for a walk

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Gamers have almost no willingness to pay for our games journalism, so the most successful gaming sites are almost entirely advertiser supported. This tends to pressure writers towards lower effort per page view content and tends to result in shockingly low payment rates for freelancers. This is made only worse by the fact that “playing games and writing about them” is a dream job so whenever a writer burns out, there’s a pile of new people looking for their big break. Add on to that, there is a very vocal group of gamers who target and harass the authors of critiques they don’t like, while the mainstream press continues to treat games as weird novelties and you have a pretty hostile environment for professional game reviewers and critics.

It drives a lot of promising people out of the field, as they looked at how they were struggling to be taken seriously as critics on one hand and then risking having their lives turned upside down on the other. Many great games writers that I follow have simply moved on.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

oddium posted:

who else is gonna roll with the four ladies in octopath and never use the men

:hai:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I beat the game with Jill, pretty slowly. Gonna try Chris next. The game still holds up great, and after only playing the original PS1 director's cut before this it's pretty incredible.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I will say the other problems with a reviewer quitting after playing one of eight paths in a game is he is pretty much making sure his review doesn't have some of the most basic information that someone would come to their review for. Like, I'm not saying every reviewer has to find everything about a game but if I'm looking at a review for Octopath, I definitely would like to find out if the other paths are different, if they aren't that different how exactly are they different, is it worth playing more than one path, what are some advantages that would come in playing more than one path, will I get everything from playing one path, what will I miss when I only play one path and so on and so on. Like this isn't unimportant stuff to note when talking about the quality of the game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There aren't 8 paths there's like 24 chapters and you only need to finish 3 to finish the game, basically. It's like saying someone needs to pick up every feather in a open world game before they can review it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mr E posted:

I beat the game with Jill, pretty slowly. Gonna try Chris next. The game still holds up great, and after only playing the original PS1 director's cut before this it's pretty incredible.

Hell yeah dude. The difference between the first and second playthrough is pretty remarkable, you'll be surprised at how quick the second round will go

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Someone put together a mod for the PC version of RE3 that adds in uncompressed cutscenes, better audio quality, and high res backgrounds. Plus it fixes a bunch of bugs which is cool.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/resident-evil-3-restoration-project

there's also a patch for if you just want better videos in the ps1 version which is cool too

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

RE4HD is out this Friday too. Resident Evil is awesome!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

LawfulWaffle posted:

Octopath Traveler (the TACO path)

no way......... the crazy sons of guns actually did that................

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

chumbler posted:

In addition to what In Training said, keep in mind that every gamer has their own preference for reviews. I’ve seen, on this sub forum, people argue that their is absolutely a way to distill every game to a number on a scale relative to each other in an objective way and that this is the only way reviews should be done. Alternatively, I’ve seen people here say that a review should give no number or even recommendation at all and just discuss the game.

I think ultimately you just have to read reviews from sources you trust and support them if possible.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

RE4HD is out this Friday too. Resident Evil is awesome!

For what?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PC texture pack mod that's been in the works for a long rear end time.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Real hurthling! posted:

I kinda hate combat in ori and also how in those chase sequences poo poo just kills you by surprise until you memorize it all

I was lucky in that I beat those pretty quickly. The music continuing instead of repeating also made those deaths more painless.

It was an odd game for me in that it initially felt too cloying but by the end, I was fully emotionally engaged.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I have no idea when the last time I read a review for a game was

in much the same way GameFAQs is extremely obsolete, YouTube and Twitch are right there for seeing how a game plays

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I use GameFAQs all the time.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

In Training posted:

I use GameFAQs all the time.

I wish people would make more text reviews, I hate it when the only way to find something is via youtube video.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I can't remember the last time I used GameFAQs but I don't really play many old games that needed it anymore.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

When I need to look at actual guides for games, I always end up at Eurogamer for some reason. Sometimes IGN

I hate YouTube videos for basic guide stuff, especially when it's something that I just need to read like two sentences for and instead I have to sift through five minutes of "Yo it's ya boy" and unrelated intro footage

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i have cultivated a group of people who i’ve met in person and communicate freely with nearly every day that understand my personality and preferences in videogames and i theirs such that when i need to ask someone about a videogame recommendation they can take this into account when discussing its strengths and flaws. i call this group “people who you know personally who know your personality and preferences in videogames so they can recommend them”

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I use this thread for finding out whether or not a game is good

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I took a break in the middle of a Lumines session.

When I came back I immediately got flustered and lost :negative:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I took a break in the middle of a Lumines session.

When I came back I immediately got flustered and lost :negative:

my best so far is lv94 and you need 100 to unlock endless mode :(

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'm so fuckin bad at Lumines. I can barely break lvl 30. I never have a clue what to do with the X blocks and I can't keep a combo going to save my life.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

MMF Freeway posted:

I'm so fuckin bad at Lumines. I can barely break lvl 30. I never have a clue what to do with the X blocks and I can't keep a combo going to save my life.

In my experience, Lumines is kind of like Catherine in that you need to get to a point where you just know how to react to the block rather than think about what to do with them. Like the checker blocks I think are the biggest roadblock to new players and you just have to get good at knowing where those fit in, when they should be split and when you should just place it in a way that will be useful if special block comes along. I'm not even great at the game but at this point, every turn is either making squares are making a path of lines that connect enough that they can all be cleared out by the special block.

My main problem with the game is I'm partially color blind and really late in the game this suddenly becomes a problem on a few levels that I just have to white knuckle my way through and hope for the best.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

I've been enjoying danganronpa 2 since I picked it up in the steam sale, and he'll, it pretty much saved this website half a decade ago or whatever.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

cheetah7071 posted:

it's

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I recently played through Sonic Forces because I like Sonic games and it didn't look that bad to me.

It really wasn't that bad, just really bland and unremarkable. If it hadn't been released after Mania, I don't think it would have been liked but it would have just been a mostly ignored Sonic game rather than the source of derision that gets brought up like it's 2006 or Boom. It's certainly not a good game but it's mostly just sort of there with a ton of quick forgettable easy levels. The controls are way to loose but that's only a problem once in awhile. Of the Sonics I've played, I'd put it just below Unleashed. It doesn't ever reach the lows of the game but ti also doesn't come close to hitting the highs of that game either.

Now I'm playing Owlboy and ooh boy people were not kidding when they talked about the plot being kind of irritating. I can see what they were going for but having a character that prominent be that irredeemably obnoxious is kind of hard to sit through.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
starting work on battle royale tycoon

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

starting work on battle royale tycoon
I'm sorry, you got sniped
https://unit02games.itch.io/battle-royale-tycoon

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
starting work on battle royale tycoon tycoon

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

In my experience, Lumines is kind of like Catherine in that you need to get to a point where you just know how to react to the block rather than think about what to do with them. Like the checker blocks I think are the biggest roadblock to new players and you just have to get good at knowing where those fit in, when they should be split and when you should just place it in a way that will be useful if special block comes along. I'm not even great at the game but at this point, every turn is either making squares are making a path of lines that connect enough that they can all be cleared out by the special block.

My main problem with the game is I'm partially color blind and really late in the game this suddenly becomes a problem on a few levels that I just have to white knuckle my way through and hope for the best.

It's just scary how fast you can go from a nearly empty board and then suddenly with a few missed pieces everything just cascades into chaos way more aggressively than in Tetris. Also with game sessions usually lasting five to six times longer than Tetris.

It's an odd puzzle game in a lot of respects

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I don't read reviews for games, but I rarely do for anything else. I like to go in as blind as possible, maybe only knowing a brief synopsis or sometimes not even that. For games, I may watch some gameplay trailer or a brief section of it being played, since that is a big difference from other media, and ask around about performance issues as the developers seem to not care anymore about releasing a functional product on all platforms, but I've been avoiding even movie trailers or book reviews for a long while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Turns out choosing the BSAA outfit for Chris makes Rebecca wear a very dumb outfit. This run is going 1000% faster as In Training said, already at the spooky cabin.

• Locked thread