Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Bringing a piece of artillery to force the AI to come to you is a good idea, but Tomb Kings have the Casket of Souls which doesn't require expensive buildings, is way better than the Screaming Skull for the purpose, and comes for free as part of a good ritual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I just keep two in my backup siege force to work on doors, but in the vortex campaign I've spent enough time fighting Bretonnian and Ork factions that I appreciate it's infantry scattering effect

Also I just want to recognize the not-Africa part of the map, which I had not played on until now, for being the best designed area in any TW campaign map ever. So much variety and it all makes sense - you end up getting to cross khopesh with almost every race in the game. It's so fun compared to....everyone but especially the dark elves and mazdamundi

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kanos posted:

Bringing a piece of artillery to force the AI to come to you is a good idea, but Tomb Kings have the Casket of Souls which doesn't require expensive buildings, is way better than the Screaming Skull for the purpose, and comes for free as part of a good ritual.

Casket of Souls also has some bonuses to your winds of magic which can make any of your Death casters absolute monsters.

also Khatep riding around on one looks hilarious.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm going to start a dinosaur campaign as soon as I finish with the Dwarfs. Any advice?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Whats some tips for starting a Settra campaign? I max out my army with as many skeleton warriors as possible but those orcs at the start still just blow through them all.

Or maybe Settra isn't really the Lord for me? I'm not really a huge fan of micro and he seems to want chariots and cavalry a bunch. Do the other lords give bonuses to more units I don't have to keep a constant eye on?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Pierson posted:

Whats some tips for starting a Settra campaign? I max out my army with as many skeleton warriors as possible but those orcs at the start still just blow through them all.

Or maybe Settra isn't really the Lord for me? I'm not really a huge fan of micro and he seems to want chariots and cavalry a bunch. Do the other lords give bonuses to more units I don't have to keep a constant eye on?

Skeletons are pretty trash tier overall. You really want them to rely not-skeletons like Settra's pet kitty while your skeletons hold the line and mostly die. :v:

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Pierson posted:

You gotta get a second lord as soon as you can. Remember that a Lords army is basically free so you should be fighting when possible with Setra + good units + filler and then just a second lord with Skeleton Spearmen. Also, spearmen are basically better than swordsman since you are just trying to grind down their lines while your monsters, chariots and magic work. I also found the archer chariots just oddly better at everything than the melee. The AI really freaks out when fast or flying units are flanking and will happily detach 3 units of infantry from its main line to go after it. Use that to your advantage to help you win the main fight.

Also, using the Rite that gives you a tier 3 colonized ruin and then creating an Ushabti building is a really gold efficient way to get more Ushabti (which own).

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'll give it a shot, thanks dudes.

ALSO is there any way to stop the camera from diving into pits on those maps that are two halves seperated by causeways? It's dumb as poo poo when I'm trying to position units and my camera goes diving into one.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Pierson posted:

I'll give it a shot, thanks dudes.

ALSO is there any way to stop the camera from diving into pits on those maps that are two halves seperated by causeways? It's dumb as poo poo when I'm trying to position units and my camera goes diving into one.

Better camera mod js the too subbed mod in the workshop

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I still think the screaming skull catapults are decent. They have a - Leadership contact effect, which can be really significant if you manage to hit multiple bunched up units and you are up against units that are affected by Fear as well. Stack enough of these kinds of modifiers and you can cause many enemies to bolt. There's also some rather dangerous units that have pretty poor leadership (Vargulf, trolls) that are also susceptible.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Pierson posted:

Go north and crush the poo poo out of the orcs immediately, like "this is your first objective above all else" immediately. Settra and his kitty cat can kill virtually an infinite amount of orcs and you can win massively lopsided battles even if literally every skeleton in your army dies. If you let the orcs dig in and tech up it is infinitely harder to dig them out for a very long time because they'll poo poo out a million big uns and crap.

If you wipe the orcs out then you get a really great 4 city province to work with, too.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm going to start a dinosaur campaign as soon as I finish with the Dwarfs. Any advice?

Which lord are you going with?

Mazamundi brings a more balanced campaign approach as the only thing he buffs are temple guards. Kroq-qar on the other hand makes saurus warriors cheaper which is all they really need as a full stack of them can wipe out all but the most elite infantry armies with relative ease. As a heads up be sure to use plenty of heroes as Lizardmen have objectively some of the best hero units in the game as every single one of them can mount a dinosaur when they are at level 15.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

Which lord are you going with?

Mazamundi brings a more balanced campaign approach as the only thing he buffs are temple guards. Kroq-qar on the other hand makes saurus warriors cheaper which is all they really need as a full stack of them can wipe out all but the most elite infantry armies with relative ease. As a heads up be sure to use plenty of heroes as Lizardmen have objectively some of the best hero units in the game as every single one of them can mount a dinosaur when they are at level 15.

as an addendum to this non-mazdamundi frogs are really bad and basically inferior to skink priests in every way. skink priests own a whole shitload btw

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

For what it's worth, I think Mazamundi is the vastly superior Lizardman campaign. He starts in a much more centralized area with a lot more variety in opponents and his bonuses encourage him to sample everything the faction has to offer, whereas Kroq starts in a fuckass garbage corner in the middle of nowhere and his bonuses encourage him to build a Saurus Doomstack and roll tide which is funny initially but boring as hell in the long run.

Amoxicilina
Oct 21, 2008

babypolis posted:

as an addendum to this non-mazdamundi frogs are really bad and basically inferior to skink priests in every way. skink priests own a whole shitload btw

Am I wrong in guessing it's some TT thing that mazda is the only slann that can ride stegodons? The generic ones really ought to be able because holy poo poo you need to use a rite to recruit one in the first drat place. But yet the lowly skink priests can ride several of the most powerful monsters in the game and easily rack up hundreds and hundreds of kills per battle.

Do lizardmen have generic skink or kroxigor lords in TT? They really need new lord choices badly.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Pierson posted:

I think it might have been nerfed a bit, but the giant stone cat construct is a beast that can singlehandedly take on several savage orc units by itself. While waiting around will allow you to recruit more units and get a max level stack, it also allows the orcs to recruit more units and get a back level stat. As your early recruitable units are trash compared to savage orc boys, hanging around to recruit puts you at a net disadvantage so push fast and early.

I think all Tomb Kings lords will benefit from using chariots early on the the campaign as they're capable of doing massive damage to infantry, they are easily recruitable early on and your other low tier units are fairly meh. Micro is just somewhat unavoidable early game for Tomb Kings I think.

babypolis posted:

Lizardmen was my first campaign which was like 350 game hours ago at this point; why are ordinary Slann worse?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Kanos posted:

Just take care and always leave a unit behind to protect it when fighting Skaven or it will get menaced from below.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I'm on turn 60ish of my Settra campaign and its picking up pretty good, now that I have Ushabti Great Bows and my main lines don't have any disposable skeletons in them, I can actually hold my own against decent armies. loving love necrotechs and Liche Priests, their buffs are absolutely indispensable, and Tomb Kings with Cunning are dope duellists.

I find the research system sort of irritating though, I wish there was a mod that raised the army cap a little without loving everything else up, but I couldn't find one. I guess the free units and ability to recruit anything, anywhere, in a maximum of six turns are meant to make up for it

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

team overhead smash posted:

Lizardmen was my first campaign which was like 350 game hours ago at this point; why are ordinary Slann worse?

They're trash in combat, they're the only lizardman hero/lord that doesn't get dinosaurs, and their spell list is kind of mediocre despite them being a lord-level mage with no combat potential.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Frog Act posted:

I'm on turn 60ish of my Settra campaign and its picking up pretty good, now that I have Ushabti Great Bows and my main lines don't have any disposable skeletons in them, I can actually hold my own against decent armies. loving love necrotechs and Liche Priests, their buffs are absolutely indispensable, and Tomb Kings with Cunning are dope duellists.

I find the research system sort of irritating though, I wish there was a mod that raised the army cap a little without loving everything else up, but I couldn't find one. I guess the free units and ability to recruit anything, anywhere, in a maximum of six turns are meant to make up for it

You can always spend canopic jars and money on upping your army capacity too. Don't worry, you'll get to a tipping point where you have more armies than you could possibly need.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Kanos posted:

The "Steam Tanks are irreplaceable one-off masterpieces that no one can figure out how to build ever since NotLeonardoDavinci died" bit of fluff never really scanned with me, since they're basically just ironclad ship hulls with wheels powered by a steam engine. That's pretty advanced for Empire tech, but the Empire is manufacturing volley guns and steam-driven mechanical horses and Luminarks at this point so I'm pretty sure someone can figure out how to make a land boat, especially with existing working models to use as inspiration.

Technological regression and irreplaceability works better in 40k because 40k is a setting themed around millenia of regression and decline, but the Empire in Fantasy is actively moving forward so it doesn't work as well.

It's also not true, just Steam Tanks are new, half-magical things and only a few of them actually got constructed. They're prototype gundums

the chaos forces come charging down the basin only to yell "IT'S A STEAM TANK" and die

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought the tomb kings dlc on sale from the sega sale going forgetting i already owned it
https://www.fanatical.com/en/publishers/sega

Does anyone want to buy the steam key for $10?

PM me, I accept paypal

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Fat Samurai posted:

Saurus warriors all have quite high armour-piercing values, even though they're not considered to hold the AP trait. Pay attention to the unit traits, as some units (like Temple Guard, or vanilla Cold Ones) don't suffer from the berserker mechanic, which makes them key when fighting, say, Skaven. Kroxigors are fun, but autoresolve hates them.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Sometimes you can get really lucky with sea loot and events and get the money /jars to buy that extra army sooner. One Khatep game I focused on getting as many jars as possible and ended up managing to get the New Dynasty around when I researched my third army, doubling my forces and catapulting an already good start into overdrive.

I'd say 'wise' is the best trait because in addition to the jars you get +1 veterancy each.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Reload your early TK game until the early turn dilemna gives you a shadow caster. They are insanely powerful with pit of shades, pendulum and enfeebling foe.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Kanos posted:

They're trash in combat, they're the only lizardman hero/lord that doesn't get dinosaurs, and their spell list is kind of mediocre despite them being a lord-level mage with no combat potential.

There are three models right? A high mage, light mage and heavens mage. All of those are pretty strong lores in WH2.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
High and light are kinda poo poo tho, at least for single player

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Light's passive is at least useful vs undead. In Choice and Consequence they made Shems burning gaze super cheap with a very short cooldown, so you can use it to stun lock a Vargulf until you run out of magic, and normal banish can be aimed like wind spells making it easier to use, while the overcast version dumps 3 vortexes whizzing around :supaburn:

Then there's Net of Amnytok which is always handy.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Ammanas posted:

High and light are kinda poo poo tho, at least for single player

Yeah, high magic is definitely underwhelming. Nets and Banishment are really good but the lizardpeople are the worst faction at focusing down isolated units and the rest of light is super meh

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Yeah, high magic is definitely underwhelming. Nets and Banishment are really good but the lizardpeople are the worst faction at focusing down isolated units and the rest of light is super meh

To be fair, Net's fun with Mazdamundi's stack since you can then drop comets and/or his bound spells Banishment and Ruination of Cities on said stuck units. Agree on it being much less useful for any other stack though.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I think Ushabti might be my favorite units ever, they're just so destructive and they throw units around and have a high model count

I am so ready to add a bone giant and a hierotitan to my main stack so it's like ushabti infantry with some halberd tomb guard fodder but mostly just dope constructs buffed by my necrotect

John Charity Spring posted:

You can always spend canopic jars and money on upping your army capacity too. Don't worry, you'll get to a tipping point where you have more armies than you could possibly need.

how? All I see are the dynasty techs, which are up to 58(!) turns each to research. I have more possible tomb king unlocks than conceivable army slots. I must be missing something

double edit: ohhhh the rite

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 11, 2018

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Not Rite, it's in their crafting menu. 10,000g and 800 jars for a new army. But smashing tiny little pissant stacks for 30 jars each adds up quickly.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Not Rite, it's in their crafting menu. 10,000g and 800 jars for a new army. But smashing tiny little pissant stacks for 30 jars each adds up quickly.

Yeah, thats what I meant, whatever their thing is. I've had the gold because I'm not spending it on nonsense but haven't exceeded like 250 jars. My problem is at 5 armies, capturing stuff quickly and thus accumulating resources doesn't simultaneously extend my capacity to hold things, so I find myself having to leave tons of territory undefended which makes me really uncomfortable. Plus I don't really have room for defensive structures in minor settlements on account of needing more build slots for important things, so they're pretty easy to take.

Though I did inflict like 500 casualties on a bretonnian army with my garrison of a TK hero, 2 archers, 2 Nehekaran Swordsman, and 1 Ushabti, which was okay.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Zore posted:

There are three models right? A high mage, light mage and heavens mage. All of those are pretty strong lores in WH2.

Generally I don't like putting multiple casters in the same army due to winds limitations, and skink priests are loving fantastic due to their terradon/stegadon access(and can take Heavens anyway). I find Oldblood + Carnosaur paired with Skink Priest + Stegadon is an immeasurably stronger combo than Slann paired with Scar Vet + Carnosaur.

Now, if there was a Slann with Lore of Life or Lore of Shadows, that might tip the balance a little. I'm drooling a little imagining overcasted Mindrazor on a saurus or temple guard blob.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 11, 2018

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Frog Act posted:

I think Ushabti might be my favorite units ever, they're just so destructive and they throw units around and have a high model count

I am so ready to add a bone giant and a hierotitan to my main stack so it's like ushabti infantry with some halberd tomb guard fodder but mostly just dope constructs buffed by my necrotect

It's kind of a pain to get going since you they require somewhat high tier buildings that only increase capacity by 1, but Tomb Kings are super fun when you create a stack that's made up of almost entirely Ushabti w/Great Bows + Bone Giants. The entire enemy army is stuck in Anor Londo archer bridge hell.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
You know that bit in the prologue of The Mummy 2 when it shows all those dogmen just swarming over Thebes or Alexandria or wherever and just blendering everything in reach? That's every siege you do late game as Tomb Kings :black101:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Vargs posted:

It's kind of a pain to get going since you they require somewhat high tier buildings that only increase capacity by 1, but Tomb Kings are super fun when you create a stack that's made up of almost entirely Ushabti w/Great Bows + Bone Giants. The entire enemy army is stuck in Anor Londo archer bridge hell.

Yeah I started with that mod that increases available slots in starting settlements to 9 by making them tier IV and it still took me about 75 turns to get one of the tier 5 buildings for each construct built. I guess there are ways to increase your capacity, I know Khemrian Warsphinx's are occasionally buffed with an extra slot by some Lords

I feel like I'm always moving too slow in vortex campaigns, I'm a good way in and nowhere near owning all of africa yet

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Ammanas posted:

Reload your early TK game until the early turn dilemna gives you a shadow caster. They are insanely powerful with pit of shades, pendulum and enfeebling foe.

You can actually just dismiss it and hire a new one.

bobz0r
Jul 8, 2008

I have faith in us, if we don't self-destruct
for TK one lore of magic is locked behind a certain book of nagash, forget which book and which lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Senor Dog posted:

You can actually just dismiss it and hire a new one.

You can’t recruit shadow casters until you get the book of Nagash, unless you get one from an event. But the dismissing/rehiring is great for getting good traits on your casters