Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

I don't think they're going to lean into it terribly hard, given that the show is only four episodes long, but it's basically four episodes of the Stephen King Shared Universe, so there will probably be some rather oblique hints to Pennywise.

Isn’t it gonna be ten episodes? Don’t trust just how many eps are listed on wiki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah this deadline story says it was a 10 episode order.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

Only 4? Is it meant to be a miniseries or what

That's probably my lovely memory at work; what I recalled was that four episodes were actually commissioned with an option for a longer pickup. Hulu's been pretty stingy when it comes to original shows not called Handmaid's Tale.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

Even by the standards of high fantasy this is shockingly generic-sounding.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh what? There's a new Stephen King series with creepy actors and a town full of secrets and an otherworldly evil coming and overt allusions to other King works that don't actually go anywhere? I guess it might be almost time to renew my Hulu sub.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yes but is it set in Maine??

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I can only assume that after they find him in Shawshank they'll trace back his roots to Derry.

I sincerely love Stephen King in all his hacky glory.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

:same:

His stories can get really samey, but I love how he crafts believable characters. Even if they're all alcoholics.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So is this like Once Upon a Time or Penny Dreadful except for Stephen King?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seems like it yeah, except mostly C-list King stuff that isn’t owned by someone else

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I know nothing about the work but King always likes throwing references around and "connecting" his works in cutesy ways that don't make a lot of sense. So it might just be that turned up a little. All those King stories are supposed to happen in the same small part of Maine and Castle Rock is one of those key towns in the King world. So I imagine it will be less of "team ups" and stuff and more just lots of references and news articles and "my grandma told me about..."

Unless Flagg shows up.

edit: This reminds me that I took Colorado Kid out of the library 2 weeks ago so I should read/renew it. And I should get around to watching It tonight.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 10, 2018

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Erotic Wakes posted:

Even by the standards of high fantasy this is shockingly generic-sounding.

I mean, it is just a tweet. Also, the art style looks good and I'm sure the head writer of ATLA can think up an angle.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wish it was the head writer of Korra since it's better than ATLA

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mu Zeta posted:

I wish it was the head writer of Korra since it's better than ATLA

:agreed:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Well now you have to explain why it's superior.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I just found it more compelling from the go. ATLA for me takes a long time to gear up and invest me in the characters. It's overall way more consistent than Korra and gets better as it goes along, for sure.

I like the setting and characters overall more in Korra and I dig the more 'mature' take on the world, starting out with older protags than children.

Also I don't like Aang at all, but that's on me. Sucks tho to not like the lead of a good show lmao

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Okay that's fair; Aang is definitely by far the most boring part of the show (and the surrounding protagonists aren't...super great either for a long time).

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

They're both hella dope shows and I am sad Nick is horrible so we'll never get more in that world from those writers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

whowhatwhere posted:

Well now you have to explain why it's superior.

It most certainly is not

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Korra 4x2 "Korra Alone" is like a towering achievement in childrens cartoons

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Korra's highs are higher than ATLA's and its lows waaaaay lower.

But overall I like it more so :shrug:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Korra is a strong lady who don't need no man to make her happy.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Did someone say Korra!?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The embargo was lifted?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

What have you unleashed?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rocksicles posted:

The embargo was lifted?

Ha, I was actually trying to remember if the chat ban for that show was a real thing or just something I made up. Glad to have confirmation!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

Korra's highs are higher than ATLA's and its lows waaaaay lower.

But overall I like it more so :shrug:

I still prefer ATLA but I can see why people like Korra better. ATLA’s for a younger audience and has a medieval setting, Korra’s got that whole streampunky industrial revolution thing going on and is for teens.

Really they need to make a third show set in the future that everyone can hate :v:

[Edit: aaaaaaacutally a series about an Avatar in a world obsessed with technology and leaving earth/the spirit world behind has some pretty interesting potential... I bet there’s already an Anime/manga about that that’s very similar, though]

Rocksicles posted:

The embargo was lifted?

Yup, all the previously banned subjects are now fair game. Honestly at this point there isn’t really more to be said about the previous hot-button topics (Korra, Lost and BSG’s endings) so the ban was lifted.

I think there was even a civil discussion about Lost earlier this year!

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 11, 2018

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I started watching the first season of Handmaid's Tale and THIS SHOW IS REAL FUCKIN' GOOD, Y'ALL

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Season one is an A+ adaptation of a very good book.

Season two ... um seems ok.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

esperterra posted:

Season one is an A+ adaptation of a very good book.

Season two ... um seems ok.
This seems like a one season show (like 13 Reasons Why), so I'm unsure of what a second season could possibly even be about or why there would be a need for one.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, it's weird because there's a lot they could do beyond the book but from what I watched (I checked out after not enjoying the first two episodes and I'm going to binge it all soon, I think the finale is tonight) but from what I've read of season 2 it seems like it's mostly good but makes some ummm weird choices that may rub people the wrong way.

That first season is perfect standalone, though, and really is a beautiful adaptation of the book. My fave part is Atwood's cameo where she slaps Moss lmfao.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m a few episodes behind on s2 now but I think I’m the only person who prefers it to the first

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I can't really speak to it other than saying I disliked episode 2 enough that I kind of just stopped watching it-- though that was mostly due to learning what happened in the next episode. There are a lot of plot points that make me scratch my head, but for all I know I'll think differently or better about them in context.

I love the cast, and I from what I know Atwood consulted on the season, so I'm still pretty excited to watch it, just in no rush lmao because the beginning killed my momentum hard.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

lelandjs posted:

Yup, all the previously banned subjects are now fair game.

Doctor Who is a woman now.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

That first episode of Sharp Objects tho

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

lelandjs posted:

Yup, all the previously banned subjects are now fair game. Honestly at this point there isn’t really more to be said about the previous hot-button topics (Korra, Lost and BSG’s endings) so the ban was lifted.

I rewatched the BSG finale lately for the first time since the DVD with the extended cut was first put out, and I have to say that I've warmed to it a bit now. Still think the original idea for the final season few episodes would have been better.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What was the original idea?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

What was the original idea?

The mutiny would have been successful, and the rest of the fleet would go off under Zarek's leadership and get destroyed by the Cylons. I think Tigh's wife would actually be working with Dean Stockwell's character rather than just faking it. The Galactica does the suicide run on the Cylon base and jumps away at the end, and instead of scuttling the ship in the Sun, it crashes on Earth due to the damage it got in the battle with the Cylons. Then the epilogue segment would be modern archaeologists discovering the Galactica beneath a Mayan pyramid.

Edit: There were other aspects to it as well but at this point that's what I can remember of it.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Chairman Capone posted:

I rewatched the BSG finale lately for the first time since the DVD with the extended cut was first put out, and I have to say that I've warmed to it a bit now. Still think the original idea for the final season few episodes would have been better.

Are you alive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Chairman Capone posted:

I like the idea of what it was going for but the execution for most of it was pretty lovely.