Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Vasudus posted:

The entire reason they didn't get turbodrowned was because the weather was hosed enough that the forecasts were wrong.

SEE, GLOBAL WARMING IS GOOD FOR HUMANITY. CHECKMATE LIBTARD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Me hearing that everyone escaped the cave:

E: hang all nobles

Elon Musk questions expertise of Thai cave rescue officials

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 11, 2018

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

EBB posted:

And I hope you come to realize the deadly fetishism behind nuclear weapons.

Speaking of, I finally got around to watching The Day After, which was supposed to be part of my senior thesis. The nuclear attack scene still holds up pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VG2aJyIFrA

e: also there's a commerical at the end for a garbage syfy show I thought I'd dreamt up because it was so dumb.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 11, 2018

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

shame on an IGA posted:

Me hearing that everyone escaped the cave:

E: hang all nobles

Elon Musk questions expertise of Thai cave rescue officials

Ahahahahahahaha get hosed elon

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

quote:

He said he would be leaving the mini submarine behind in Thailand “in case it may be useful in the future"

Ahahaha a Real Hero

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sad Elon makes me happy

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Honestly I'm a bit surprised/bummed that he isn't getting some divers to drag it all the way through the cave and back out to prove it would work.

Of course, the likelihood that they would take it ten feet in and fake victory (or that it gets stuck and traps a diver in front of it) are pretty high

edit:VV I don't blame you, I was a bit overwhelmed watching it for the first time. It was even enough to make Reagan say "drat!"

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 11, 2018

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

As Nero Danced posted:

Speaking of, I finally got around to watching The Day After, which was supposed to be part of my senior thesis. The nuclear attack scene still holds up pretty well.

e: also there's a commerical at the end for a garbage syfy show I thought I'd dreamt up because it was so dumb.

this poo poo hosed me up for like 10 years after lol

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Threads got me even worse

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

That Works posted:

Threads got me even worse

that movie is fuuuuuucked up

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
That's next on my list, guess that's as close to an endorsement it can get.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

If y'all are looking for reading fare along those lines I might suggest https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013FWE5XW/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

The author is a rather questionable sensationalist who got caught tarting up a fake account of the event (this is a corrected edition that removes the fake parts iirc) but if you take it as something less rigid than what it purports to be, it's a hell of a read along the lines of Threads and The Day After.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

As Nero Danced posted:

They pulled the military bits from this film,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlPEBROvR9w

Not gonna lie, both The Day After and this hosed me up a little bit the first time I saw both.

As Nero Danced posted:

That's next on my list, guess that's as close to an endorsement it can get.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1856457/

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I've still yet to see Threads

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

FAUXTON posted:

If y'all are looking for reading fare along those lines I might suggest https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013FWE5XW/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

The author is a rather questionable sensationalist who got caught tarting up a fake account of the event (this is a corrected edition that removes the fake parts iirc) but if you take it as something less rigid than what it purports to be, it's a hell of a read along the lines of Threads and The Day After.

Awesome, thanks. If anyone else is curious, I can post my thesis and the bibliography as a reading list if someone wants, it's about the 1983 war scare. In a nutshell, Andropov was paranoid as hell and the whole thing ends with blue balls because we're still here.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I'll be honest, if you haven't seen Threads, maybe wait till El Cheeto is done throwing a temper tantrum at NATO.

As Nero Danced posted:

Awesome, thanks. If anyone else is curious, I can post my thesis and the bibliography as a reading list if someone wants, it's about the 1983 war scare. In a nutshell, Andropov was paranoid as hell and the whole thing ends with blue balls because we're still here.

Super interested in reading this.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Handsome Ralph posted:

I'll be honest, if you haven't seen Threads, maybe wait till El Cheeto is done throwing a temper tantrum at NATO.

:tipshat:

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Handsome Ralph posted:

Super interested in reading this.

Here you go:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t38rp6ckc3m50dq/Thesis%20Final.pdf?dl=0

One thing I always feel like mentioning to non-historians: the standard formatting for history papers sucks rear end. The citations are garbage and take up way too much space, so don't feel intimidated by the page count. The bibliography is at the back end (which takes up 11 pages because I had to write a small paragraph about each book, interview and scrap of paper I looked at, even if I only used one quote). And like I said I feel like it's a bit unsatisfying because it's all buildup, buildup, buildup, then it all fizzles out (which, to be fair, is the best outcome possible).

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

As Nero Danced posted:

Id read that for fun

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

As Nero Danced posted:

No problem, and I'll echo wanting to read your thesis. Fair warning about the book, it pulls no punches about describing in graphic detail the effects of The Bomb on humans in various stages of not-in-a-bunker.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

At this rate, I’d expect the UK or France to drop a nuke on the Trump hotel in DC out of spite before Russia nukes us. Or was that your point?

Also, Threads had me convinced that if nuclear war broke out, I’d like to be underneath the very first one to fall or within arm’s reach of a pistol before the firestorm reached me.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

My understanding is that Sheffield eating a nuke would be a slight improvement.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Did somebody say "documentary/reality show where we put people in actual field-expedient fallout shelters for a month and it's worse than Threads"?

Because https://youtu.be/9GJttnC8PoA

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

In one page we go from joy on the soccer team getting out to dread over nuclear war

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

In one page we go from joy on the soccer team getting out to dread over nuclear war

lmfao this owns, its the 50s again alright

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Also, Threads had me convinced that if nuclear war broke out, I’d like to be underneath the very first one to fall or within arm’s reach of a pistol before the firestorm reached me.

:same:

I pretty much gave the Falken speech to my fiance shortly after the election when she started asking me questions about NATO or a war with North Korea.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

mods change my name posted:

lmfao this owns, its the 50s again alright

So we made America great again?

e: VVV It's stuff like this that makes me wonder what I would have done in the Hawaiian missile scare. As much as I joke about having a leather jacket, a muscle car, and being ok with cannibalism when I really think about it I don't want to go all Mad Max and survive the initial blast. But would I want to wait to see the blast or check out manually beforehand? I really don't know.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 11, 2018

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I just hope I can get enough warning to get close enough to Offutt to be killed at the outset, 30-60 minutes should do it. On the other hand, I live across the street from a major regional hospital so a full "and their little dog too" exchange would probably let me be vaporized in the safety of my own home.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
when the nuclear war comes i'm going to smash my glasses and melt all my contact lenses and then try to read a book as my ultimate homage to the 1960s and then poison myself and family on the shores of Australia before the fallout hits

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The absolute weirdest thing about survival preppers is why would they want to

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Who's dreading it? Putin or Jinping: press the button and deliver us from this bullshit.:pray:

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Midjack posted:

Who's dreading it? Putin or Jinping: press the button and deliver us from this bullshit.:pray:

Hail satan!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

shame on an IGA posted:

the concept of a negative-sum game is as alien to them as the solarian ocean

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
One of my top 3 reasons for moving to Colorado Springs was because lol this poo poo's getting wiped out in the first wave.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

Seriously, if it is post-nuclear conflic world, take me early please

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I think it would be cool for a while but I'd keep a quick way out nearby at all times incase of Bad Things

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

i doubt i'd notice much difference except that my amazon packages stopped coming

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

i doubt i'd notice much difference except that my amazon packages stopped coming

Uhh what yacht owning russian oligarchs exactly expecting to debase yourself for??

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

mods change my name posted:

Uhh what yacht owning russian oligarchs exactly expecting to debase yourself for??

They wouldnt be able to find me man. Leave me alone with one of them yatchs, I dare him. Im taking it and Imma disappear past that horizon, between the twin typhoon and the heavy metal hurricane wave with skelletons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
At a Naval port next to a Naval Air Station an hour out of LA. I'm going to die fast :)

• Locked thread