Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I'm pretty certain you can find another magazine not that far later as either Connor or Markus that talks about android kids too, including mentions of being able to toggle their LED off and other special features on them. It's hokey that they obscure Kara seeing that first magazine, but it's definitely a thing you can intuit from other characters at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I can't wrap my head around Todd buying a robot child just to get mad at it all the time.

Like...why? Wouldn't you rather just watch the hockey game?

Yea yea, he's a drug addict therefore logic just flies out the window, sure, whatever, David.

ETA: HOW DOES ALICE HAVE HOMEWORK TO DO?!?

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 7, 2018

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

WampaLord posted:

I can't wrap my head around Todd buying a robot child just to get mad at it all the time.

Yea yea, he's a drug addict therefore logic just flies out the window, sure, whatever, David.

Her homework is Folding@Home

I could see Todd getting a robot kid to prove to his wife that he's capable of taking care of her, sort of like those fake babies (or egg or whatever) they give you in Home Ec class to prove that you're capable of taking care of and nurturing a life. Could be an interesting story there, but it got Caged up with stupidity.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

WampaLord posted:

He gets her because he lost his real daughter in the divorce and couldn't handle not having his daughter, so he tries to make do with an artifical one. You meet him in the ending at the bus terminal with Kara and can reconcile with him.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

He gets her because he lost his real daughter in the divorce and couldn't handle not having his daughter, so he tries to make do with an artifical one. You meet him in the ending at the bus terminal with Kara and can reconcile with him.

No, I get that, I mean more like why would you keep it around if you keep getting loving angry at it for wanting to play with you? Just turn it off, put it in the closet, and let it collect dust while you smoke red ice and watch the hockey game.

Like if your phone kept loving chirping and was giving you a headache, wouldn't you just silence it instead of beat it into submission? Todd does not act like a human being, and ~drugs~ is not enough reason for this kind of stupidity.

It's just cheap drama because Cage loves smashing on the easiest topics to mine for drama, and this time he landed on "child abuse" because he had gone to the "sexual assault" well too many times already.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think that's the whole thing, he wants her surrogate daughter around to vent his frustrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Also he's got serious mental and emotional issues and isn't acting rationally

He looks EXACTLY like, and acts just like a coworker of mine, it's uncanny. Guy nicknamed "the caveman", extremely unkempt, heavy drinker. Prone to flying off the handle at the most insignificant issues. Heavily medicated and likely the kind that doesn't interact well with alcohol.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm watching that CJacobs run of DBH and wow wow wow, I can't believe the game crashed the moment it told Connor to find a way out. I can't believe how perfect that was. I wish it had happened to the best friends, they might have simply exploded from joy since even minor bugs make them go nuts

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 7, 2018

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Gee Todd, why does cyberlife let you have TWO robots to beat on?

I kind of feel cheated by some of the late game twists, it's so easy to discount weird discrepancies early on because it feels like holding david cage responsible for sensible explanations for stuff being out of place is a waste of time. It's like he's going 'HA! See? It fits in!' except it's full of 'westworld security team' type logic failures and one exception to that just makes it feel even more cheap

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 7, 2018

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Saw this on the Best Friends subreddit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jny-ErzvKfY

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Wiseblood posted:

that's way too good

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

that's way too good

My only complaint is that they didn't replace the Skullgirls with Tracis.

Otherwise :discourse:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

WampaLord posted:

My only complaint is that they didn't replace the Skullgirls with jerries.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The only thing David Cage forgot to do was to suggest turning all of the drug addicts into meat pies.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

Grouchio posted:

The only thing David Cage forgot to do was to suggest turning all of the drug addicts into meat pies.

Soylent Koopy, it's made out of people!

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Wiseblood posted:

Gun: Become Gun. Glorious.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh my god, phoenix drive fandubbed by Matt and proZD. I had heard of it but never seen it. I wonder how long it'll last on youtube, even censored it will likely get taken down, right?

edit: lol that video is absolutely going to get trashed by youtube, they didn't censor it enough. Which is a shame, because proZD reacting to this is some magical poo poo, especially with the fiercely engrish text

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 9, 2018

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

R.I.P, Tigre Joestar. He truly was the Iron Fist of us all.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh my god, phoenix drive fandubbed by Matt and proZD. I had heard of it but never seen it. I wonder how long it'll last on youtube, even censored it will likely get taken down, right?

edit: lol that video is absolutely going to get trashed by youtube, they didn't censor it enough. Which is a shame, because proZD reacting to this is some magical poo poo, especially with the fiercely engrish text

I doubt it, he still has Bible Black on his channel.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.
This is gonna sound weird, but something that really impressed me about the character models in Detroit was the fat people. I was thinking about this the whole first LP, but couldn't really put my finger on what was different.

Now watching the 2nd LP, the intentionally overweight characters clearly use different skeletons than the stock NPC models you see repeated here and there, and not only that, but they look like larger-bodied people do in real life, rather than generic grunt enemies with identical models like in beat-em-ups, or exaggerated comic relief characters like Big Smoke in San Andreas.

They're sparsely featured through the game, and I'm definitely not saying this has anything to do with Cage being some progressive thinker in terms of representation at all, but I can't recall ever playing a game that bothered to make larger-bodied background NPCs purely for flavor. For this and a bunch of other character details, the modelling team at Quantic Dream deserve some serious props.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I only just noticed the floating text in the outro (and presumably intro) of the 2nd GIG have been updated to reflect the first playthrough.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

I only just noticed the floating text in the outro (and presumably intro) of the 2nd GIG have been updated to reflect the first playthrough.

"Why didn't Marcus end up in the evidence locker?" is my favorite.

"Brainless lady was magical as gently caress" is p good too

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

WampaLord posted:

"Why didn't Marcus end up in the evidence locker?" is my favorite.

"Brainless lady was magical as gently caress" is p good too

"They wanted robobirth, that counts" is also strong

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Justice Sloth posted:

This is gonna sound weird, but something that really impressed me about the character models in Detroit was the fat people. I was thinking about this the whole first LP, but couldn't really put my finger on what was different.

Now watching the 2nd LP, the intentionally overweight characters clearly use different skeletons than the stock NPC models you see repeated here and there, and not only that, but they look like larger-bodied people do in real life, rather than generic grunt enemies with identical models like in beat-em-ups, or exaggerated comic relief characters like Big Smoke in San Andreas.

They're sparsely featured through the game, and I'm definitely not saying this has anything to do with Cage being some progressive thinker in terms of representation at all, but I can't recall ever playing a game that bothered to make larger-bodied background NPCs purely for flavor. For this and a bunch of other character details, the modelling team at Quantic Dream deserve some serious props.

It's probably more due to like literally every single npc being actual people.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Hey if you’re not watching the TMS LP start doing that. It’s funny and good!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

No!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'm not watching 30 episodes of a lovely jrpg to catch up!

Speaking of lovely and catchup though, I'm finally able to watch 2nd Gig. I'm kinda disappointed Woolie has decided to go armed revolution this round, because he missed half of the pacifist run anyway, and that means we'll never get his reaction to the Slave Song Revolution.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

it's at worst an okay jrpg though

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

If you don't like the setting or characters, it being a good game has nothing to do with it

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I am extremely into Woolie just reading off these plot breaking questions in 2nd gig

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

WampaLord posted:

I am extremely into Woolie just reading off these plot breaking questions in 2nd gig

Yeah this second run really rules because they are not going to put up with the games poo poo anymore

The gun the gun gotta get the gun

The gun the gun gotta get the gun

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Pat panicking that he hosed up was great.

I was NICE to you! Pretty sure yelling at a robot wasn’t being nice lol.

I love this gun run.

Edit: Best part was Pat shouting GUUNGUNGUNGUN at Matt and Matt almost bumbles his way to death.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
If God Hand 2 ever comes into existence, I want them to bring back spanking, but this time, Gene does it to both men and women.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
The gay stereotype enemies would do that to Gene.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

WampaLord posted:

I feel mixed. On one hand, there's a lot of dumb poo poo in this game. On the other, some of the questions feel kind of unfair because you could probably do similar poo poo to a lot of games?

I think I just have a high tolerance for weak stories - The Alice reveal is dumb, but I'm not put off the game "lying" to you because it kinda isn't? The information is masked from you because you're supposed to "be" Kara - the game shares her denial with you by masking the information.

It's not like Heavy Rain where the Shelby thing actually has plot holes and makes little to no sense.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

I feel mixed. On one hand, there's a lot of dumb poo poo in this game. On the other, some of the questions feel kind of unfair because you could probably do similar poo poo to a lot of games?

Yea but other games have actual gameplay, so if you poke holes in their story, at least there's an actual game to play.

This doesn't have that.

The Alice reveal is awful because Luther knows the truth, Zlatko knows the truth, Todd knows the truth and yet none of them mention it to Kara because they...like seeing her be delusional?

I guess Luther does reveal it to her, but only after dramatically hinting at it big time and after Kara finds out for herself anyway.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Todd doesn't have a reason to say anything? He either doesn't know or care that Kara thinks Alice is an android, or is so drugged out he didn't really notice or care she served Alice food? (Maybe kid droids can actually eat food for the sake of being realistic?)

Zlatko actually didn't seem to suggest he knew - otherwise wouldn't he have set Alice up for a wipe too? Again, even if he did, what reason does he have to tell Kara?

Luther is a tropey gentle giant - he didn't break it to her because he knew she needed to come to it on her own terms - it's not like the delusion hurt her.

They probably could have explored the aspect of why it does or doesn't matter that Alice is an android or something, or why the delusion was important for Kara? I dunno. Sorta seems like an angle of Kara valuing an child android less then a human one, which is why she held the delusion? Like there's some angle of Androids being biased against their own kind or something there.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

WampaLord posted:

Yea but other games have actual gameplay, so if you poke holes in their story, at least there's an actual game to play.

This doesn't have that.

This kind of thing is dumb, yes, they are still games, yes, visual novels are games, "walking simulators" and all that poo poo are games, don't cop a crappy 4chins argument just to be mad at Davvid Cayey.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

The Alice twist is so dumb, both in the moment and looking back, it makes no goddamn sense and was totally unnecessary. Just like Heavy Rain, the game has to lie to you to force its mystery to work. The RA9 thing never going anywhere and being meaningless is another huge ball-drop; I had forgotten about it through most of the second half.

It's still easily the best Quantic game, but man, it has all the signature flaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Todd doesn't have a reason to say anything? He either doesn't know or care that Kara thinks Alice is an android, or is so drugged out he didn't really notice or care she served Alice food? (Maybe kid droids can actually eat food for the sake of being realistic?)

Zlatko actually didn't seem to suggest he knew - otherwise wouldn't he have set Alice up for a wipe too? Again, even if he did, what reason does he have to tell Kara?

Luther is a tropey gentle giant - he didn't break it to her because he knew she needed to come to it on her own terms - it's not like the delusion hurt her.

They probably could have explored the aspect of why it does or doesn't matter that Alice is an android or something, or why the delusion was important for Kara? I dunno. Sorta seems like an angle of Kara valuing an child android less then a human one, which is why she held the delusion? Like there's some angle of Androids being biased against their own kind or something there.

This...doesn't hold up. Androids require that blue blood to function and if Kara had to tend to her, replacing it would likely be one of her duties. Sure, he's a cartoon villain, but even he might not be dumb enough to let his new droid junk his old droid because she shoved noobles down robokid's mouth.

Luther may be a gentle giant but I doubt he'd endanger all of them by letting the charade go on even when it harms their chances of escape: kiddie fevers, need for sleep/food and all.

And as someone (Yahtzee?) said, the main narrative point of it is spoiled because we see two sexbots in love with each other in the cop storyline, so the "Can two androids genuinely love each other?" theme has no wegiht left. It would actually be more interesting in the kid was really human, or if humans thought she was an android because she was aprehended with them, showing how people will dehumanize even their own kind to fully hate the dreaded Other.

Though I wish the game had a post-credits stinger 300 years in the future with Kara getting fed up of mommying EternalKidBot and just abandoned her in a cardboard box to go have fun.