Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

And shitizens thought goons refunded our fleet. :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Scruffpuff posted:

You're falling into the trap of "everything that can be invented has been." It's impossible for a member of the general public to answer the question "what innovation do you want" because that's the whole point of innovation - you're making something new that most people didn't think of. We leave that kind of work to people who aren't Chris Roberts. You know, actual visionaries.

The concept of putting a game on a screen with remote controls was itself an innovation, but the concept of games wasn't - just the delivery mechanism. In Pac-Man colliding with the dots was good, colliding with the ghosts was bad, colliding with the power pills entirely changed the dynamic. Were there any new ideas? Object collision was an old idea, but mix it with a few new dynamics and you've created a new experience in gaming - a new feel and tempo that was the first of its kind. Yet not, technically, "new."

Donkey Kong and countless other games come on the scene with the "platformer." The idea of progression, evasion, gravity, and so on - none of those were new in and of themselves. But combined in a certain way, and a genre is created that is a baseline game type to this day.

Thief might not have invented, but polished to a mirror sheen the idea of stealthing through maps that traditionally were treated as run and gun. Yet the two gameplay types are entirely distinct.

Minecraft for sandbox games, the recent explosion of survival games. These are all relatively "new" game types and experiences, even if the constituent elements didn't come into existence from a total vacuum.

Those are the ideas that I have in mind when I think of innovation. Sure, we have all these things already created by other people, so what's a completely new and/or unexpected way we can combine these elements to make something that feels entirely fresh? For something to scratch the "something new" itch, it doesn't have to be literally never-done-before, because that only triggers the pedants to chime in with "Well, actually, such-and-such was already blah blah" and nobody likes those people. It just has to feel novel. When someone looks over your shoulder and asks "Which Assassin's Creed is that" then that's the opposite of what I'm going for.

I just want Battlefront II (by Pandemic) with EvE Online economy and systems.

I'm never going to see it.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

doingitwrong posted:

loving Nintendo released two Freemium IAP whale wallet draining mobile games.

Nintendo.

I always laugh when people act shocked that Nintendo are greedy kiddie diddlers. They were the Microsoft of gaming before Microsoft decided to buttfuck gamers dumb enough to buy XBox.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

TheAgent posted:

I'd like a few examples of games that were dumbed down in the last few years

like I remember hearing this a lot with asscreed 2 / black flag because it was like "I can press one button and kill 10 people" and of course the whole dragon age 2 thing

but I can't really remember any other stuffs

c&c

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

TheAgent posted:

like I remember hearing this a lot with asscreed 2 / black flag because it was like "I can press one button and kill 10 people" and of course the whole dragon age 2 thing

I can think of a few examples but they weren't necessarily the last few years.

The ammo system in Deus Ex: Invisible War was stunningly bad. (Shared ammo between all weapons for "simplicity" which defeats one of the primary points of a FPS - ammo management.)
ME:Andromeda's combat
Most MMOs go through this - they start with sets of complex and subtle abilities, demolished over the years and in the end you wind up hitting 4 buttons in the "right" order for "optimal" damage

The first two examples are just bad games. The final example is an anomaly because in MMOs you get a lot of people who are NOT, in any way, interested in playing a game for any of the reasons we've been outlining here. They want to blast through them to get the highest numbers and any button that doesn't fulfill that goal might as well not exist. So the developers evolve the game in that direction. It's an example of the player base itself demanding a dumbing down.

There are some games that go the opposite direction and it's not always obvious. My example is here Dead Space. None of them were what I'd call "good" instead I'd call them "good enough when they're on deep discount." Had no trouble with the first or second ones. Playing the third I hit a loving brick wall about 1/4 to 1/3 through the game. Turned out if you weren't crafting your weapons you were gimping yourself. I assumed the crafting was bolted on because marketing research showed "crafting sells games now" but in fact the entire game revolves around you being the engineer you're supposed to be playing and keeping your arsenal up to scratch. So that was one example of me actually loving up because I'd assumed it was dumbed down when it wasn't.

I know I've played plenty of games where the sequels took out much of the depth that made me like the original, but I can't think of them offhand. It's like when you know you've heard a trope in dozens of movies but can't provide examples. I'll try to think of some good ones.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

TheAgent posted:

The progression of the role-playing portion and mechanics of Fallout 2 — Fallout 3 — Fallout 4. (New Vegas fixed many of F3's mistakes, but not this one.)

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

There's also a fine line between "dumbing down" and "streamlining." One man's depth is another man's unnecessary complexity. It's a tough balance to strike when no two people agree. That said, it's amazing how often games err too far in either direction since a reasonable middle ground generally makes for pretty good games overall.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
You folks need to play Into The Breach.

Its my GOTY.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

Street Fighter V. (a good thing)

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

A good one to debate might be Diablo 2 to Diablo 3. The primary argument comes down not to complexity, but permanence and living with the impact of your choices.

In Diablo 2 it was possible to "make a mistake" and pick talents that plain sucked. Now you're rerolling a character and losing potentially hundreds of hours of work. Over time the playerbase figured out the "best" builds. Since the game was static, those builds pretty much stagnated. Which meant players just ran to a website to copy a build already proven viable.

In Diablo 3 you can respec whenever you want. So it's less "hardcore" because your character will never need to be thrown out, but there are actually far more build types available. But because experimentation has no drawbacks, it's considered to be less "hardcore."

It's a good one to debate because you have people who think it was dumbed down because making a bad build and getting hosed is no longer a possibility, and people who think it was made more complex because the sheer number of builds, combined with the more unusual legendaries, along with the fact that it's a live game and therefore frequently changing, makes it far more mathematically complex.

So you get a good idea of what kind of gamer you're dealing with depending where they fall on that debate. Ones that think "living with your mistakes builds character" and ones that think "I paid to play a game, not a meta."

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

no_recall posted:

Its my GOTY.

You won't say the same thing when 3.3 is out.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
More Warframe news:

Seems like the ship can be used to fly to your missions. Currently the game is limited to one star system, Sol but in the latest story update they hinted at another. So, they probably just delivered Star Citizen's concept better than Star Citizen?

e: lol, ObAnt is talking about warframe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1Xm2zf4vhs what a time to be alive.

no_recall fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 11, 2018

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Zzr posted:

You won't say the same thing when 3.3 is out.

It will never stop being funny to me that we started making fun of Star Citizen's Jesus Patch years ago, and when we joked about it we'd exaggerate by setting the patch number way ahead. Even when joking back then about it, none of us went as far ahead as 3.3.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

colonelwest posted:

I think VR will eventually be the catalyst for a lot innovation. It's just a matter of time.

Who was it who was just saying that new technology usually takes to the 3rd generation to really catch on and become wildly popular? Was it Todd Howard?

Well, he had a point. VR is eventually gonna be ubiquitous but we're not there yet. This tech is cool, but too expensive and too bulky and there's still some issues being worked out. In a few years everything will be better; more games to play in VR, smoother VR, higher resolution, cheaper hardware and lighter more comfortable hardware. You put all that together and suddenly the value shoots through the roof. We're just not there yet.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TheAgent posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RULv6HbgEjY <- the game plays itself, requires you to do basically nothing but walk forward down corridors where you couldn't possibly get lost, and then watch cutscenes.

This is where FPS are now, compared to like goldeneye and halo and doom.

But there's still good things here and there, Doom 4 is awesome and requires you to explore a non-linear map. Those call of duty FPS are just more like movies where you occasionally click your mouse to shoot to keep the movie going. I don't think that's wrong, but it is "dumbed down" compared to proper FPS of yore.

There's this classic:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

SoftNum posted:

"Why C++ is a lovely language in 4 steps"

C++ is a lovely language, but so is... every other language.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

trucutru posted:

Street Fighter V. (a good thing)

Street Fighter V is a trash game and I suck my teeth any anyone who disagrees.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

I wasn't 100% down with VR till I tried this...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sethporges/2018/04/04/inside-the-the-voids-fully-immersive-star-wars-vr-experience-a-review/#4a11e6416199

I went with a woman that A. could give a poo poo about star wars and B. wasn't a gamer.

We both came out of it saying it was the coolest loving thing ever.

VR can be awesome. SC won't make VR awesome only janky lol.

VR is cool as gently caress, and even more so when its as fully immersive as can be (given current tech)

I did the Ghost Busters one, and again while cool you can quickly see the limitations and set pieces

For instance everything has to be setup JUST right, to coincide with the virtual world, the door knobs and switches have to be in the same place in the real world

And they put in lots of real world effects, like a fan blowing on you when you're supposed to be outside on the side of a tall building

Walk past something on fire and you get a heater blasting at you

Or when the stay puft dude explodes you get misted with a marshmellow smelling spray

Anyways cool stuff, will be exciting to see how far we can take it when cordless VR is more mainstream

Also there is no hope in hell of CIG ever putting VR into anything, they can't even code ramps

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Quavers posted:

I understand 0% of that article :eng99:

Translation:

Lumberyard has a ton of bugs, which are easily detected, which means they probably know and are ignoring them as tech debt because they're busy working on other things. These are also bugs that Crytek have fixed; however they were fixed after Amazon cut Lumberyard as a branch and started their own development into Lumberyard, so they didn't get those fixes and will have to take time to fix those same bugs themselves.

The bugs themselves are mostly small tricks of C++ syntax where developers were trying to be clever and do a lot at once and accidentally wrote something that doesn't do what they thought it does. Most are fixed by just adding parenthesis or changing a fudged number.

And goddamn I love this guy:

quote:

I already checked CryEngine twice, in august 2016 and april 2017, and I'm sorry to say it, but the code quality had decreased since the first check. I was wondering the other day how Amazon had used the engine and took a look at the new product. I must admit they did make a great environment. The user documentation and environment deployment software are really awesome too. But the code is messed up again! I hope Amazon can afford to allocate much more resources for that project and will start caring about code quality at last. By writing this review I hope to draw their attention to this problem and persuade them to take a new approach to the development process. The code's current state is so bad that I had to change the title and the featured image of the article several times as I was going through the analysis report.

This guy's a hero, writing up documentation on all of lumberyard's bugs to try to shame Amazon into going and fixing them already. Superb stuff.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Meridian posted:

Street Fighter V is a trash game and I suck my teeth any anyone who disagrees.

Well, yeah, it's trash. But that has nothing to do with it being more accessible. Better than being both garbage and non-accessible.

Like, have a newbie play, dunno, the latest Guilty Gear and watch them explode. Which is why the new Dragon Ball game is as basic as you can get in a modern anime fighter: you do want people to play your game.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 11, 2018

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Zaphod42 posted:

Idk remake is good and polished but I far prefer the original, especially the geoscape and base management.

And I don't think your friends getting stuck means its bad. That might actually make it good. Too many games optimize away all challenge or secrets because what if mainstream gamer joe blow doesn't get it??

I'll take dark souls and monster hunter over assassin's creed and farcry all day every day.

It's full of obtuse bullshit that isn't easy to delve into even by Dark Souls "Wait I have a jump?" Bullshit. I love the game, I even like TFTD even when I can't get a drat Calcinite for melee poo poo. Finding out 20 hours into a run that you've hosed yourself isnt fun for most people. Xcom remake could do with more interesting base mechanics, bit not having to fire 60% of my troopers for 10 bravery isn't missed.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QgDRoK-PB4

Just listen to it.

Then listen to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkteNWutOz8

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
https://i.imgur.com/j6IqhWH.gifv

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Beet Wagon posted:

mining permits are in!

Praise James 315!

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Scruffpuff posted:

A good one to debate might be Diablo 2 to Diablo 3. The primary argument comes down not to complexity, but permanence and living with the impact of your choices.

In Diablo 2 it was possible to "make a mistake" and pick talents that plain sucked. Now you're rerolling a character and losing potentially hundreds of hours of work. Over time the playerbase figured out the "best" builds. Since the game was static, those builds pretty much stagnated. Which meant players just ran to a website to copy a build already proven viable.

In Diablo 3 you can respec whenever you want. So it's less "hardcore" because your character will never need to be thrown out, but there are actually far more build types available. But because experimentation has no drawbacks, it's considered to be less "hardcore."

It's a good one to debate because you have people who think it was dumbed down because making a bad build and getting hosed is no longer a possibility, and people who think it was made more complex because the sheer number of builds, combined with the more unusual legendaries, along with the fact that it's a live game and therefore frequently changing, makes it far more mathematically complex.

So you get a good idea of what kind of gamer you're dealing with depending where they fall on that debate. Ones that think "living with your mistakes builds character" and ones that think "I paid to play a game, not a meta."

Diablo is a great example because we have Path of Exile as a kind of foil to Diablo 3. PoE was made to appeal to gamers who loved Diablo 2 but thought the skill tree was too legible. I mean, just look at this thing:

PoE has extremely limited respecs and the understanding (from what I can tell) is that you’ll grind through the content many, many times to try out different builds. Diablo 3 instead encourages exploration and experimentation within a single playthrough. But then has the Seasons system to encourage you to reset and start over.

Both games are ultimately about finding completely broken builds that make actually playing the game trivial. As you get deep enough into either, the builds and the custom gear that enables them become the game and the grinding (the gameplay for most normal players) becomes a pleasant background activity. They are very strange games that reward complex systems mastery with an extremely dumbed down gaming experience.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

TheAgent posted:

man y'all need to play prey for real

Prey by Arkane Studios is a great game, and the Mooncrash DLC is more and fun too. There's a multiplayer component coming soon for the DLC which is one human versus five mimics, it's basically the most dangerous prop hunt game ever concocted.

no_recall posted:

You folks need to play Into The Breach.

Its my GOTY.

This game is another incredible game, though it can be a bit stressful by nature (in a good way). It's one of those games I play once every few weeks like Darkest Dungeon cause I feel like my blood pressure has gone up every time I get through a sitting.

Between this sort of thing and people flagrantly cheating with no apparent way to stop it, it might be time to realise space is full of jerks because eventually they all were driven off of Earth.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

no_recall posted:

Brings back some memories in Elite playing open where I was pirated for beer, a joke, dropping 5t of cargo, or flying loops.

Elite pirates are the best pirates.

In Eve, it's been known people will ransom pods for stupid things, like a song or a joke.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

TheAgent posted:

but good rear end movies come out all the time backed by big studio money

source plz, I know a lot of well produced movies get made but that's largely because of netflix showing you can make niche* movies again, nothing to do with big studios backing

quote:

unless you somehow think No Country for Old Men was lovely, or 3 Billboards, or anything that Fox and Disney release under their indie wings are trash

you even have movies like Get Out and Hereditary and Stoker and Birdman and and a shitload of other weird rear end films backed by huge studios or their film production companies

I mean big movie houses have had smaller indie publishing sides since the 90s. So ya I know Big Hollywood can produce great movie, and I think in a way we're seeing kind of an interesting mish mash of 70s film revival but on a true international scale, like really director led passion projects to tell a story.

But I don't think the same is happening in the game industry. What I see happening is 'gamefying' and turning every aspect of the game loop into as an addictive as experience as possible is reigning king because of sales, and unlike movies where it's passive and tastes in the medium change and ebb, how the gently caress do you unhook a generation of gamers who have been gambling on Counter Strike skins since they were 8.

And what's poo poo is indie devs when they're not copying their own indie formules for success, still to a large part try to ape these big development houses mind trick scams to make their games more exciting. There is just too much loving money to be made and it's largely a tech driven industry, so 'artists' that exist are largely set dressing to either sell skins. Like off the top of my head I really really struggle to name one writer of note in the game industry, I know Fargo and Sawyer wrote/designed fallout1/2. I mean for fucks sake Fallout 3 was industry wide called a brave new direction in story telly.

*which gently caress me if it doesn't feel like netflix has a deep learning algorithm somewhere writing these loving scripts and shows like Stranger Things are version 1.0 of the software.

Morphix fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 11, 2018

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Scruffpuff posted:

I don't think we're ever going to see those games again. Not in the way you're imagining. Back in the day, the idea was to make an immersive, incredible title, single-player was usually the focus, get it on shelves at Babbage's and whatnot, and hope you moved enough copies to see a nice profit. If the game was good enough, and word spread, it was doable, and your time spent on making a deep story, or great AI, or something immersive, was well-spent. So you got games like Half-Life or Deus Ex, games that to this day have not really been properly followed-up.

The reason is mostly the changing landscape. The ubiquitous nature of the internet and our always-online, always-available culture means there's no need to create great AI when you can just plug in multiplayer. No need to create an immersive story, or all the trappings of the original gaming experiences, when you can hop in some kind of multiplayer sandbox and make your own stories.

This approach is not "wrong" but it is repetitive. Getting teabagged by the 14th Korean kid in as many minutes has a tendency to remind you that games were meant as an escape just as often as a means of getting together.

Those older games were often just about the player being the protagonist in a storyline as deep and twisting as the developers wanted to make it. Today there's not as much call for games of that nature - they're time-consuming and ultimately difficult to profit from with the juggernauts they're up against. There's also the hard reality that the age of the average gamer has increased significantly - we can't ignore that - and it means people need something they can hop in for 10 minutes and hop out. That completely eliminates the immersion factor by default. In fact a properly immersive game (not faux immersion like SC) would be impossible to enjoy, because those games require longer streams of uninterrupted time to get the most out of.

I can't remember the last time I sat down with a few hours and thought to myself "time to really get involved with such and such a game because I have the house to myself for a while." Maybe Bioshock? And that was over a decade ago, and you could still just log off, log back in later, and immediately remember what you were doing.

I think the last time I had a game that required total dedication or you lost track 100% of the plot was Star Control 2, back in 1992.

That doesn't mean there aren't good games, or immersive games, or anything like that. It just means times have changed too. While you're looking for the things that are missing, make sure doing so doesn't cause you to miss out on the things that are there.

From the Twilight Zone episode Walking Distance:

once again someone sums up my point much betterrrer and throws in a twilight zone quote to melt my heart

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

TheAgent posted:

xcom is good example as well.
compare xcom apocalypse to xcom 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo4XKV3F9Hg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CilEDzq4N3w
its actually much harder to find xcom2 gameplay. There is tons of letsplays from apocalypse which is great deep game.

i have played tons of 90's (and bit of 80's c64 games) games in 2000-2018's . Because i really dont care about graphics or UI, to me actual gameplay takes first place. (i do hope that xenonauts 2 manages to deliver updated xcom apocalypse)
I do think that now things are slowly getting better, for example factorio is pretty much game done in 90's quality with modern day UI.
Same with xenonaut, which is like alternative sequel to original xcom.
good example of when things started to go wrong is transition from monkey island 3 to monkey island 4.
forced transition from 2d to 3d killed many great franchises. (including fallout. Fallout 3 was horrible disappointment for me)

80's tech wasnt there yet. But creativity is top notch on c64.
90's tech is there bit of rehashing from 80's. There is a lot of failures but diamonds are shining brighter than ever, and there is lot of em.
2000 great 3d games appear a lot of great 2d games disappear from market.
2007 quality starts dropping overall. But there are still great diamonds out there like prince of persia.
2010-2015 quality drops even further, its no longer worth to buy a AAA game. Couple of great indies appear.
2015-2018 AAA means that game is filled with dlc's/lootboxes and generally isnt worth the pricetag at all. Indie games are delivering great games however there is still bit of catching up to do with quantity of great games.
A lot of developers are redoing 90's games, some are horrible simplifications like xcom or thief. Others are successful, but simplified like terraria. And then there is things like xenonaut which feels like alternative sequel to xcom.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
lol no wonder so many of you backed star citizen

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

trucutru posted:

Well, yeah, it's trash. But that has nothing to do with it being more accessible. Better than being both garbage and non-accessible.

Like, have a newbie play, dunno, the latest Guilty Gear and watch them explode. Which is why the new Dragon Ball game is as basic as you can get in a modern anime fighter: you do want people to play your game.

To be fair Guilty Gear is stupidly fun even just mashing. I never could really go "serious" level with it, but my friends and I played it a lot in high school. I know that wasn't your point at all, I just really hate SFV.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Scruffpuff posted:

No need to create an immersive story, or all the trappings of the original gaming experiences, when you can hop in some kind of multiplayer sandbox and make your own stories.

Counterpoint: God of War.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Dark Off posted:

. Others are successful, but simplified like terraria.

Not to nitpick your post, I generally agree, just curious what you're comparing this one to so I can look back at it.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

console trash

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Game was good. Bloodborne and God of War along with the Last of Us port (since I missed it the first time around) were worth buying the PS4.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

TheAgent posted:

console trash

BOY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

doingitwrong posted:

PoE has extremely limited respecs and the understanding (from what I can tell) is that you’ll grind through the content many, many times to try out different builds. Diablo 3 instead encourages exploration and experimentation within a single playthrough. But then has the Seasons system to encourage you to reset and start over.
PoE has the same season mechanic as D3, except it's turned significantly up as the developers also use it to test out new content changes, so most players roll a new character every two months regardless.

It's also the case that because skills are completely divorced from the tree you end up with characters who are more an archetype than anything else. For instance, this league I started out with a critical-strike lightning caster that I wasn't really that happy with, so I spent a few respecs (you get a limited number of free ones, but they're also item drops and can be bought in-game from other players) and bought some gear to transition him into a melee-focused battle-wizard whose every hit shat lightning bolts across the screen. It would have been more expensive to change him to focus on fire damage, and really inefficient to change him to a pet-based class, but as long as I was dealing primarily lightning damage it was just a matter of shuffling some deckchairs.