Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
milk paint?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
Re: the 1/2" blade on the bandsaw. I ran it over a stone for a bit, increased the tension more (this was too difficult before -- I think some of the parts need a little breaking in at first), and just used it for a while, and the back-and-forth wobble improved quite a bit. It's still there, just barely noticeable. I made some shelving and ripped some long pieces, and the cut is actually remarkably straight and acceptably smooth (minor sanding makes a decent surface). I'm a huge fan of this bandsaw.

I have another problem: I have lived with this built-in desk and cabinets in my office for the last 7 years and now have way more melamine coated particle board than I'm happy with. I do not plan on using this in any big projects. I already used some of it as an infeed/outfeed table for the bandsaw to rip some long heavy pieces. Any other ideas for utility pieces? My garage is a mess now with excess spare/junk/rough lumber as I prepare to get my floors refinished.

Can't wait to get started on remaking my office. Want to build a desk, but I'll probably wait until next year when I have more money and a table saw.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Apollodorus posted:

So I was going to ask a more interesting woodworking question, but this is probably more practical and relevant:

While my wife's away on her research trip, I'm going to do some big house projects. One of these is to repaint our kitchen cupboards. They're about 50/50 solid wood and composite AFAIK, in that the doors and doorframes are solid but the shelves and sides are veneer.

Would spray painting the doors be a good option, or would it be best just to use roller and brush for the whole project? I guess either way I probably don't want to be spray painting inside, regardless of how thoroughly I might be able to mask off the rest of the kitchen...

(If we had a bigger budget we'd just replace all of them, since they're kind of cheap and I suspect the previous owner redid the kitchen cheaply in order to get the house sold.)

We're doing this right now, and here's our process - Our cabinets are polyurethaned wood, so first step is a light sanding to scuff up the surface for better adhesion. We are then rolling/brushing a couple coats of oil based primer, lightly sanding between coats to minimize brush strokes, and help even out some of the grain. Then we're doing two coats of latex paint through a paint sprayer (on the doors, that is - The frames are getting the paint rolled on). So far, it looks great. Not mirror smooth or anything, but a very nice finish.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kudaros posted:

I have another problem: I have lived with this built-in desk and cabinets in my office for the last 7 years and now have way more melamine coated particle board than I'm happy with. I do not plan on using this in any big projects. I already used some of it as an infeed/outfeed table for the bandsaw to rip some long heavy pieces. Any other ideas for utility pieces? My garage is a mess now with excess spare/junk/rough lumber as I prepare to get my floors refinished.

If this is relevant to your vehicle, cut a piece to fit the cargo area to protect the floor when hauling heavy things.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Kudaros posted:

Re: the 1/2" blade on the bandsaw. I ran it over a stone for a bit, increased the tension more (this was too difficult before -- I think some of the parts need a little breaking in at first), and just used it for a while, and the back-and-forth wobble improved quite a bit. It's still there, just barely noticeable. I made some shelving and ripped some long pieces, and the cut is actually remarkably straight and acceptably smooth (minor sanding makes a decent surface). I'm a huge fan of this bandsaw.

Can't wait to get started on remaking my office. Want to build a desk, but I'll probably wait until next year when I have more money and a table saw.
It's great as a flat surface to glue stuff up on-glue doesn't really stick and you can just scrape it off once it dries. Otherwise I find it a bit slippery for a work surface, but it's great for in/outfeed tables as you know.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Behold my mediocre first attempt at wooden utensils:

Aside from the divots from the forster I hollowed out most of the spoon with I'm surprised by how not-poo poo they came out. Just have to do some detail sanding between the fork tines and put some finish on it now.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What kind of wood are they made of?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Mahogany of some sort, I'm not sure which variety.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
I used black spray rustoleum to cover the chipped japanning on all my old hand planes, it looks great?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Javid posted:

Behold my mediocre first attempt at wooden utensils:

Aside from the divots from the forster I hollowed out most of the spoon with I'm surprised by how not-poo poo they came out. Just have to do some detail sanding between the fork tines and put some finish on it now.

Spankme sticks? You innovator, you.

Platystemon posted:

What kind of wood are they made of?

Look like lauan, aka Philippine mahogany.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just a heads up on the Saga of my Charuterie board.

I sand-stripped it as advised from folks above. and in sanding it to finer and finer grits, I think I realized why I wasn't happy with it's look. I didn't sand high enough, and I didn't wet sand, and I didn't sand with mineral oil coats.

So while I just added some coats of Mineral Oil yesterday, and buffed out the third (or 4th, I forget) after it got tacky, and it is not, technically, glossy, it already has a PHENOMENALLY more pleasing feel, because it feels smooth like glass from the better sanding.

Thanks all!

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Feenix posted:

Just a heads up on the Saga of my Charuterie board.

I sand-stripped it as advised from folks above. and in sanding it to finer and finer grits, I think I realized why I wasn't happy with it's look. I didn't sand high enough, and I didn't wet sand, and I didn't sand with mineral oil coats.

So while I just added some coats of Mineral Oil yesterday, and buffed out the third (or 4th, I forget) after it got tacky, and it is not, technically, glossy, it already has a PHENOMENALLY more pleasing feel, because it feels smooth like glass from the better sanding.

Thanks all!

slap your meat on that board and post a pic

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Super 3 posted:

slap your meat on that board and post a pic

Not putting anything on it until it’s settled/dried a bit, but here it is.

No it’s not the size of my backyard. Just a funny perspective.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 12, 2018

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

That pic reminded me I need to actually bother slapping some oil on the cutting boards I made LAST summer. They've been just sitting in my living room next to the bottle of cutting board oil since then.

So now, the complete kitchen collection:

Fork yet unfinished, still some sanding to do, plus it highlights how dark the oil makes that wood. The cutting boards got one coat of oil on the bottom and sides, then one coat on the sides every 2-3 coats on the top, since that's the important part. There will probably be a lot of top coats, too, I'm 5 deep now and it's still happily shlorping up oil into that end grain.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Posted this in the metalworking thread but the more I think about it, it's more of a woodworking thing. Got myself a grinder which will mainly be used for axes, chisels, plane blades etc:

A pretty cool multiple pulley system here, it rotates a whole lot slower than you'd imagine if it was just two pulleys connected to a motor, in that case the upper pulley would have to be as big as the grinding wheel.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Wow, that wheel looks like it's in awesome shape. They're usually destroyed from people turning them into yard cart around here. I'd love a legit stone wet grinder like that for resetting bevels.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
What kind of stone is that made of?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
No idea, some local natural stone most likely. I'm trying to do some research into it to see what kind of stone it might be. A popular source of wheels like this was from Gotland, called "gotlandssten" but they look greyish and I have not seen the same kind of striations on them.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Wood movement frightens me. I need a resource to learn about it and what I can do to mitigate it.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

If you follow traditional building techniques, handling wood movement is mostly a solved problem built into the techniques. Two books discussing that are "The Essential Woodworker" and "The Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture and Cabinet Construction". If you want to dive into the nitty gritty details, the Forest Product Laboratory provides a free handbook called "Wood Handbook, Wood as an Engineering Material". Google it and check out chapter 4. Lost Art Press also published two books about wood aimed at woodworkers, "With the Grain" and "Cut and Dried".

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

No idea, some local natural stone most likely. I'm trying to do some research into it to see what kind of stone it might be. A popular source of wheels like this was from Gotland, called "gotlandssten" but they look greyish and I have not seen the same kind of striations on them.

From the grain and striations I'm like 90% sure that's some variety of sandstone. It looks really course, too.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

djfooboo posted:

Wood movement frightens me. I need a resource to learn about it and what I can do to mitigate it.
If you use kiln dried hardwoods with 7-8% moisture content, it is an issue and something to consider, but not especially frightening. Working with green or air dried or not very dry kiln dried wood it is more of a worry. Basically, don't glue crossgrain, don't make things too tight, and wood generally cups towards the bark side of the board. Things get more complicated if you get into veneering or odd constructions.

Bruce Hoadley's book "Understanding Wood" is about as good a source as you can get. When my cousin was getting a PhD in Wood Science, he said that book was always his go-to quick reference cheat sheet.

Roy Underhill's "The Woodwright's Guide" also does a very good job of explaining what is going on in very simple, practical terms.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Leperflesh posted:

From the grain and striations I'm like 90% sure that's some variety of sandstone. It looks really course, too.

Yeah some kind of sandstone. After some googling. Stones from Orsa, Sweden seem to fit the type of color I'm seeing here, so might be an Orsa stone. Here's someone from there with family in the business responding to some other guy on a swedish forum:

quote:

Orsa may be my area ...
Yes, you can see that there is the same mineral composition in that stone as in my teeth, nails and bones. The water and the potatoes I've grown on may have ran through your rock once a long way back. An orsa stone then.
The color of the sandstone is 100% the same as in the mines in Mässbacken (by the north of Orsa)

It was a natural asset that one had, and there was some limited industrial production at the end, but perhaps only until the first half of the 20th century. In Äppelbo the rack and fork has been made by any industrious workshop owner, and since before the early 50's we may be able to guess. Stone from Orsa. Mora = Moraclocks. Våmhus = chip baskets. Venjanssjön = casks. Malungsfors = leather sewing. Poor farms near the crop line demanded ingenuity and crafts so you could sell something or barter with.

I think you had better raw material on Gotland (a green grey stone) that was more homogeneous so it would be more appropriate to work large-scale recently, if I can guess.

But in the so-called stone cottages that were on all farms, my ancestors were sitting and handcrafted these stones to a considerable extent. Chiseled the circles as you look at the stone with a compas, to remove material for the hole and perimeters as well as for decoration on your probably more industry-made stones.

The men in the business contracted silicosis and in general they died in their 40s during the 17th and 18th centuries, and sunday church was an affair of much cursed coughing. Most women got married 2 times in life. The mines were broken communaly and the substances were distributed via raffle.

If you look at http://www.orsa.se you can see the parish weapon with three grindstones.

Some grindstones we say are "lazy", that is too hard. Actually maybe fine-grained. Never let the stones stand in water between uses, the stone will wear unevenly or freeze and break. The boys also used to rechisel good stones that were out of round.

In Orsa there are handwoven rocks, or some farms have a tripod with pedal board with a crank up to the crank of the axle + large wooden flywheel, so you can grind the scythe yourself. Have powered the grinders for my father and grandfather etc., as children and some laid into the stone so it was hard work to drive it. You had to lubricate or wet the "bearings". Stones were to be found on each farm.

There are also small stones 30-35cm x 5-6cm as we put a handle on and carried on the long-sleigh rider. The grass there is so mineral-rich so it was a lot of work to grind, hone and keep the tools sharp.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Lee Valley / Veritas got the free shipping thing going again for a few days.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Leperflesh posted:

that was the obvious answer to me as well but all the sandstone around here would just turn to dust with any amount of grinding

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Anyone ever use one of these?

Curious how clean the holes it makes are.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Use a big ish one from Snappy at work to predrill White oak for screws. Works awesome. Little fuzz at the top edge of the counterbore, otherwise really clean.

E: I'd maybe be a little cautious in some of the chippier softwoods like Doug fir, bit I haven't actually tried that myself.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 14, 2018

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Javid posted:

Anyone ever use one of these?

Curious how clean the holes it makes are.

Those tiny Allen wrench holes are terrible, they strip and slip really easily

Broke off a few in extremely hard wood like ipe

coathat
May 21, 2007

Don’t cheap out on those self countersinking bits. The lovely ones I bought were awful.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Yeah, definitely get Snappy or one of the other higher end brands.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

coathat posted:

Don’t cheap out on those self countersinking bits. The lovely ones I bought were awful.

Yeah I grabbed a DeWalt one for #8 screws and the shaft of it snapped off after using it to cut maybe 9-10 holes. This was just using a super lowpowered cordless drill into some soft pine too. Couldn't have used it in more forgiving circumstances.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Hypnolobster posted:

Yeah, definitely get Snappy or one of the other higher end brands.

That one's a snappy and the price is right. If I can replace that pilot bit with my 1/4 brad point it'll be perfect.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

A milestone in my DC project which has taken such a very long time... Finally got a blower mounted ontop the cyclone. Now I can consider ducting.

And took the grinder apart some more, and it wasn't just a double reduction, but three reductions, pretty nifty system:

And now it has castors, so it's mobile. Covering the stone in a plastic bag to protect it from grease and oil as I clean the frame:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Only tangentially woodworking but if I wanted to put up some of that stamped diamond pattern aluminum in my garage on a wall of wood, is some kind of liquid nails adhesive sufficient? Or some other adhesive?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Are you ever going to look back and think it was a bad idea and want to take it off?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Nope it’s 4 feet high of lovely old plywood in my unfinished garage. I just figured I could make it look a bit cooler over by my workbench. If I ever change my mind, the whole loving plywood deal is coming down.

Edit: I guess if I want to go adhesive route it needs to be something that can handle wood and metal, and sets fast enough that I don’t have to hold it in place for more than a minute or so?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 15, 2018

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I would still just use a handful of sheet metal screws. It'll add to the industrial look, be a lot easier to do, and a lot easier to undo. If you get one up a bit crooked you can pull out the screws and try again, but with glue you get one shot and that's it.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

I would still just use a handful of sheet metal screws. It'll add to the industrial look, be a lot easier to do, and a lot easier to undo. If you get one up a bit crooked you can pull out the screws and try again, but with glue you get one shot and that's it.

Yea this is where I was going

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Yea this is where I was going

Fair enough. My concern was merely that some of the plywood (most of it?) isn’t flush with wooden wall (just contact points at studs) and I’m not totally sure where the studs are (because the plywood is blocking) but I guess if sheet metal screws work and this aluminum siding is light enough, then the plywood should be enough “hold”. Yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simble
May 11, 2004

Unless it's rotten, yes. I have a piece of plywood strung between 2 studs that's holding my dust collector which must weigh at least 75 pounds.

Why not put some peg board up instead and make the space useful?