Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

I hope you saved some ammo for the airfield.

Good lads!

This late in the war, everyone gets hammered trying to land troops or supplies.

If nothing else, this is a different place to have a scrap.

We lose a ship to a surface attack from a sub.

The Mosquitoes come droning in again.

At least some supplies got ashore at Manus!

A nice fat tanker....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Seems like the Americans have been closing the point gap a bit in the past week or so. You got any plans to try and flip the script to get the '45 autovictory (outside China), or are you just bunkering down and hoping for Chunknig to pop in December?

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Grey's technically got the Manhaus base he's working on, too. I don't know how valuable it is, but may be a small stream of points he can tap. If he ever breaks through the forts and manages to keep the sieging force in supply, that is

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
How’s the AI on hard or very hard? I’m getting to a decision point on whether to restart or continue my current game into 44.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Woodchip posted:

How’s the AI on hard or very hard? I’m getting to a decision point on whether to restart or continue my current game into 44.

It's no different. All that changes is that the AI gets a natural bonus to luck in any combat rolls and gets to cheat more supply to itself when cut off, so island garrisons that haven't been supplied in 2 years can still fight as effectively as if they've just got off the transports.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

9 July 1944

Minesweeper USS Swerve fails to do so in time to avoid striking a mine off Anzio.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Wait. These are the guys I've got sitting at Manus to stop the allies landing more troops.
Were they trying to deliver fuel?

The mind boggles.

They are literally sailing the most valuable non combat ships into my guns.

We sink a squadron of planes.

Please conserve some ammo for your actual mission.

Today is not a good day for allies shipping....

Glug glug glug....

With light industry mostly ruined, I expand my bombing targets to hit the airfield.

I also order the firebombing of the city for more general damage.

The fires spread quickly....

A nice 200 point gain today!

Then again, it's not every day you do this....

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
nani

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Grey Hunter posted:

Then again, it's not every day you do this....

:drat:

Woodchip posted:

I've come to the conclusion that the grogs on the Matrix forums may be right about PBEM being the "true" way to play. The AI is just not up to the task. I'm planning on playing through to the end, but it's early 44 in my game and the Japanese AI is barely above token resistance at this point. My invasion of the Marianas is starting and Singapore is about to fall (hopefully my assault goes a little smoother than yours). This is my first game and I am sure I am not good at it. But actually doing a PBEM is hard to imagine given the insane level of commitment and coordination required.

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 11, 2018

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

Wait. These are the guys I've got sitting at Manus to stop the allies landing more troops.
Were they trying to deliver fuel?

The mind boggles.

Check out Matinicock.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

WHERE IS RPT WHERE IS TASK FORCE THIRTY FOUR RR THE WORLD WONDERS

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

Check out Matinicock.

Most of those have to got to be an overzealous light AA gun or something, right? Each individual .50 cal bullet and the like counts as a "shell hit" iirc. There's no way it tanked 55 main gun hits..... is there?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
.. So do your ships have any ammo left for bombardment or after this do you not -mind- if they don't as this is better?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Omae wa mou, shindeiru

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

quote:

That one shell hit against Kongo earns E for effort.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Banemaster posted:

That's some Cape Samar level bullshit.

Remember, that's not just 13 Corsairs sunk. That's 13 Corsairs destroyed by the shell hits that sank the ship. "Destroyed on field" is at 24 for the day, and 2 Chinese planes were destroyed by bombing. That's 22 Corsairs sunk.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
4 tankers?

4 tankers!

4 TANKERS!?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Forgive me if I'm wrong but I'm starting to get the feeling the AI isn't very bright

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

Check out Matinicock.

Maybe if I had a pair of tweezers and a magnifying glass.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Seems like the Americans have been closing the point gap a bit in the past week or so. You got any plans to try and flip the script to get the '45 autovictory (outside China), or are you just bunkering down and hoping for Chunknig to pop in December?

Nope, barring any more lucky carrier kills. becasue

mercenarynuker posted:

Grey's technically got the Manhaus base he's working on, too. I don't know how valuable it is, but may be a small stream of points he can tap. If he ever breaks through the forts and manages to keep the sieging force in supply, that is

Taking a base of 7AV with 300 is now taking months due to the broken battle calcs.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I'm starting to get the feeling the AI isn't very bright

Yeah, which is why I'm going to look at this LP in jan and see if it's worth continuing. I'm holding steady at the moment, but unless things change in one direction or another in six months, I don't know if I have it in me to continue a stalemate LP for another year and a half.

but then, what would be my next stupid LP idea?

Keeper Garrett
May 4, 2006

Running messages and picking pockets since 1998.
Maaaaan it's been a long time since I checked up on this!

How's everyone been? I think I have my old favourite ship list from back in the Allied WotP campaign somewhere.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Grey Hunter posted:

It has been a while since the last Combat Mission game...

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

It won't be a stalemate. If you don't autovictory things will turn against you pretty quickly once nukes are online.

But Goon:CM (WWII) is always fun

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grey Hunter posted:

draft ElBrak into doing this again as a PBEM LP

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Grey Hunter posted:

Real time day by day Crusader Kings game. Train your son to take over the updating after you. Make it properly dynastic.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Flip back to the Vietcong vs AZNAC game

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Grey Hunter posted:

Nope, barring any more lucky carrier kills. becasue

Taking a base of 7AV with 300 is now taking months due to the broken battle calcs.

Yeah, which is why I'm going to look at this LP in jan and see if it's worth continuing. I'm holding steady at the moment, but unless things change in one direction or another in six months, I don't know if I have it in me to continue a stalemate LP for another year and a half.

Full-on Paranoid Stalin Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

simplefish posted:

It won't be a stalemate. If you don't autovictory things will turn against you pretty quickly once nukes are online.

But Goon:CM (WWII) is always fun

Yes, we should do that again!

Also, last time I checked CM: Normandy was still like $60 lol

I'm never going to buy a CM game

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Flavius Aetass posted:

That's the beauty of the CM let's plays. You get to enjoy the best parts of the games while somebody else deals with the many, many flaws.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
CM: Italy

imo

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

glynnenstein posted:

That's the beauty of the CM let's plays. You get to enjoy the best parts of the games while somebody else deals with the many, many flaws.

Also witp lps.

Man I got got when I bought this thing.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Allies tried the Fireship doctrine.. It wasn't effective.
For what it's worth I hope you stick with it until the end, it's very fun to read.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

glynnenstein posted:

:unsmigghh:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

^^^^
Her is a man who knows my pain.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Flip back to the Vietcong vs AZNAC game

You may get a nice surprise soon.

Flavius Aetass posted:

That and they charge $10 for patches.....

I'd love to to get to the bulge one, but I don't think i can support that!

Another joke, world in flames goon game (or whatever that AI less game is.) Not that I could justify buying that without a group of committed players (or a very cheeky kickstarter or GoFundMe). Spreadsheets hooooooooo!

I've Already considered command ops battle from the bulge, all he matrix close combat games in cronological order, and Napoleon Total war.

It's a shame my kid is restricting my free time during the terrible twos, or I'd be running at least one of these right now!

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The AI deciding that its planes are too effective when actually in the air and switching to just throwing them to Grey still loaded on a boat seems about par for the course

Kodos666
Dec 17, 2013
At this point it seems obvious that grey should play 'Campaign for North Africa', especially if it's the actual table-top.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Kodos666 posted:

At this point it seems obvious that grey should play 'Campaign for North Africa', especially if it's the actual table-top.

*redistributes water evenly to be efficient*

All Italian units die off from lack of water.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
OPM EUIV challenge?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Banemaster posted:

And going by what the Stadtfeld got in return, Old Bones wasn't particularily amused about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Mooseontheloose posted:

OPM EUIV challenge?

Nowhere near groggy enough for GH. Though I certainly would follow it.

GreyHunter posted:

You may get a nice surprise soon.

I am so on board, but only if you account for American Touchdown Throwing arm strength. I was so disappointed when I couldn't huck a grenade 25m into the enemy position... and then I got shot dead the next turn.