Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
The only good OW speedrun is Hero Gallery Any%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

MURPHAGATOR! posted:

Dont apologize for playing games you like.

i'm canadian, i apologize for everything

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

absolutely anything posted:

bionic commando 2k9 fuckin [cupping hands over mouth to make voice louder] suuuuuuuuucks!!!!!!!!!

Im gonna loving kill yo6 sevmal

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

ArfJason posted:

Im gonna loving kill yo6 sevmal

you can try just know if you come at me from too high or too low youll be killed by deadly radiation clouds

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I don't need to, I just can hit you from afar with a loving grenade launcher that looks like a shotgun. Goodbye bitch *animation error causes me to blow up my own legs into thousnads of pieces*

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I think I might start running Startropics for NES. I used to love the game as a kid, and it's between that or Zelda 2. Maybe both, I dunno.

I don't have a console though; what's a good emulator to use? Are there any banned ones or whatever? I'm not planning on hitting a world record but might as well do it right I guess.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
NES page on speedrun.com should show any banned emulators and maybe general rules, I think bizhawk is a good emulator?

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

Hobojim posted:

I think I might start running Startropics for NES. I used to love the game as a kid, and it's between that or Zelda 2. Maybe both, I dunno.

I don't have a console though; what's a good emulator to use? Are there any banned ones or whatever? I'm not planning on hitting a world record but might as well do it right I guess.

It's not a legal run unless there's a camera showing you dipping the letter into water to reveal the invisible ink code, fyi

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh my god I thought PJ's bionic commando rearmed 2 run would just be similar to the one he ran years ago but then he found elevatorless hype mode and the look of shock on his face was worth it all

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Invictus posted:

oh my god I thought PJ's bionic commando rearmed 2 run would just be similar to the one he ran years ago but then he found elevatorless hype mode and the look of shock on his face was worth it all

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
well yes we all knew hype mode would be there, but who knew he would discover the ability to do it without an elevator???

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Just think really hard about being good at the game, that's essentially a cycle accurate emulator when you think about it

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Hobojim posted:

From a "general guide" for NES runs I found:

FCEUX, Nestopia and Bizhawk/NEShawk are acceptable emulators, most other emulators are not accepted.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1apP69VDIzUx-iVO_sj5YjTxBAE2ukHPa6kl33AOW9hA/edit

I saved this awhile back after checking an NES game leaderboard on speedrun.com

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Odd posted:

It's not a legal run unless there's a camera showing you dipping the letter into water to reveal the invisible ink code, fyi

It's funny because I do actually have a copy of the game and letter, just no console. :(

Nep-Nep posted:

From a "general guide" for NES runs I found:

FCEUX, Nestopia and Bizhawk/NEShawk are acceptable emulators, most other emulators are not accepted.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1apP69VDIzUx-iVO_sj5YjTxBAE2ukHPa6kl33AOW9hA/edit

I saved this awhile back after checking an NES game leaderboard on speedrun.com

Thanks Nep-Nep! I grabbed FCEUX and managed to die horribly on chapter 3 in startropics in record time!

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
One good thing about emulators is you can record your runs by inputs and they're a lot smaller than video files... though of course you'll want to actually record/stream yourself playing it in real time.

It can make going back and practicing parts easier; play back the movie until the part you want to practice, save, then load the state.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

Hobojim posted:

It's funny because I do actually have a copy of the game and letter, just no console. :(

I will never accept a startropics record without a live action letter dip

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Zamujasa posted:

One good thing about emulators is you can record your runs by inputs and they're a lot smaller than video files... though of course you'll want to actually record/stream yourself playing it in real time.

It can make going back and practicing parts easier; play back the movie until the part you want to practice, save, then load the state.

That's a good tip, thanks!
I can't imagine someone would want to watch someone suck at Startropics of all things in terms of streaming, but maybe one day.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Hobojim posted:

I can't imagine someone would want to watch someone suck at Startropics of all things in terms of streaming, but maybe one day.

if there's anything i've learned over the past 5+ years of catastrophically bad let's play and streaming ventures, it's that people will watch anything

there's nobody streaming startropics at this very moment in time

someone out there somewhere might want to watch some hot startropics action but there's nothing live. be the change

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

if there's anything i've learned over the past 5+ years of catastrophically bad let's play and streaming ventures, it's that people will watch anything

there's nobody streaming startropics at this very moment in time

someone out there somewhere might want to watch some hot startropics action but there's nothing live. be the change

Maybe.

But I'm not putting on a facecam.

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!

Hobojim posted:

Maybe.

But I'm not putting on a facecam.

I don't either- no point!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

tons of speedrunners/streamers don't use facecams (i don't either)

whatever works for you!

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
The important thing is to just interact with people who are watching you. If you don't have a mic, pop into the chat when you get a few moments in game to say hi or talk about how it's going.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Hobojim posted:

Play offline until you get to the mothership then start streaming if you're sucking everyone will just assume the final chapter is final chaptering you.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Zamujasa posted:

The important thing is to just interact with people who are watching you. If you don't have a mic, pop into the chat when you get a few moments in game to say hi or talk about how it's going.

only thing i’d suggest is some people just want to lurk, so my rule of thumb is only to interact with people who interact first

if nobody’s talking that’s fine, just talk to yourself as if you were talking to people who were just listening. more people will be more keen to interact in the first place if you aren’t deadpan silent

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I like when a streamer is using a cam, makes it more personal and you can see their reactions and emotions

The very least you should have a mic, if not then you could just be watching a recording.

And yes peoplw will watch casual playing, that's what I watch usually outside big events, my friends playing a game and chilling & chatting.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Hobojim posted:

Always BizHawk. It's an emulator developed by TASvideos people so they strive for accuracy in emulation, which is important especially for speedrunning since runs have to be comparable between console and emulator runs if they're not split into different leaderboards - improper emulation can lead to things like glitches that can't be done on console, different lag, and other things like that.

FCEUX is not a bad choice at all, it's perfectly valid and accurate, but BizHawk's NES core is - as far as I can tell - the most accurate NES emulator available, and BizHawk also has the advantage of emulating a lot of other systems and is usually the best choice for anything it plays, with maybe some exceptions that I'm not super aware of.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Emulators do not emulate, they are merely flawed simulations and as such are for speedcowards.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwRXU34gQC8

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

What the heck is happening here, this is completely bonkers.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

onesixtwo posted:

What the heck is happening here, this is completely bonkers.

Friend let me introduce you to the wonderful world of sports game TASing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tafCE6GJrhQ

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have questions.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Boogalo posted:

Friend let me introduce you to the wonderful world of sports game TASing.

I mean I know TAS can pull off ridiculous impossible tricks, but I can't make sense as to how the TAS is fooling the instant replay into showing a throw that.. didn't happen just seconds prior. It's magical to see Wii bowling broken so bad that the game itself doesn't know what to do.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

uh it's called a speedrun???

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Pretty sure the instant replay just doesnt' know how to handle the spin that they gave the ball.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Yukari posted:

Pretty sure the instant replay just doesnt' know how to handle the spin that they gave the ball.

Yeah IIRC most games don't capture footage and reshow it for a replay as that would take a ton of memory. They just simulate the exact motions again and gently caress with the camera or whatever. If the motions were too hosed up to recreate, shenanigans ensue

tbf I haven't watched the vid yet but that's my thing to say about video game instant replays

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

I think they retain control during the replays somehow? Hell of a feat if some of the later shots can be done with just the original inputs.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

I think it's part TAS and part corrupted/hacked. because this is similar to that olympics one where the player does absurd poo poo in that one as well.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
if you've never seen this sports TAS before you really need to see the legend of ANKIMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0boIUXHrWoY

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

onesixtwo posted:

I mean I know TAS can pull off ridiculous impossible tricks, but I can't make sense as to how the TAS is fooling the instant replay into showing a throw that.. didn't happen just seconds prior. It's magical to see Wii bowling broken so bad that the game itself doesn't know what to do.
A throw which stops dead and immediately turns 90 degrees to shove the blocking things out of the lane, at that.

its hacking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

if you've never seen this sports TAS before you really need to see the legend of ANKIMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0boIUXHrWoY

I love the high jump the most :allears: